Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's your personality type?

[member="Ijaat Akun"]
Makes sense. I've got Manic Depression and Anxiety (among a few other things). As you can imagine those do change things up fairly often. One day I'm as happy as can be, the next I may be struggling to get out of bed. My mood definitely affects my results.

As for the temperament thing... apparently I'm: Sanguine-Phlegmatic?... Apparently I'm an introvert and an extrovert. Then again, I've kind of always struck a balance between the two... Hmm.

Silara said:
I've actually taken this during college!
Once during high school, once during college, at least once on the craftshop, and once on this site before now. It's a relatively common test, because apparently it's scientifically accepted.

Personally, I grew up with Quizilla, so personality tests are kind of a silly, childish guilty pleasure, even if they are "scientifically accepted."

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Me: INTJ-T (Architect) [Choleric-Melancholic]

Aynea/Ashe: ENTJ-T (Commander) [Choleric-Sanguine]
Saera: INFJ-T (Advocate) [Phlegmatic-Sanguine]
Alachei: ESTJ-A (Executive) [Choleric-Melancholic]
Manamune: ENTP-A (Debater) [Choleric-Sanguine]
Blacktail: ENTJ-A (Commander) [Choleric-Melancholic]

Alachei's was really interesting because aside from Mind, her other results were very one-sided, so much in fact that she got 100% Assertive.
I also learned that there's more to Manamune than being just another bandit and she's actually quite philosophical and deep-thinking.
I'm entirely unsure how Saera got Sanguine when Phlegmatic-Melancholic describes her to a tee and does not contradict her personality.

What I found personally interesting is that if I had to pick one, I would relate most closely with Aynea with the exception of not giving a poodoo about being socially integrated. It would be hard to pick any one character though, since they are all, in one form or another, naturally a fragment of my mind, and they are also very much their own entities given their own set of ideals.

carl jung probably rolls in his grave every time this comes up. everyone has all these parts in their personality and its not some static state. your personality is always changing and evolving. if you get the same answer every time, in all likelihood you have some neurotic tendencies. and like all systems of thought, you'll never get a clear picture with one dogmatic adherence.

i.e. have fun with this, but don't take it seriously.
with that being said i believe i scored as an INFP the last time i took this.

I had a group of friends that went through this stage of living their life by this test...having taken the actual test several times throughout college and each time, changing my lettering, I give very little credence to the results. As I don't think the population of the world can fit into 16 boxes...

That being said: I most often get the ISTJ, which is the examiner. Though I do often float into INTJ (the architect) quite often with this test...

[member="Reverance"], [member="Skippy"]

Of course these tests are merely just tests to describe and analyze some traits you may or my not exhibit. It most definitely doesn't pinpoint me in every aspect it covers and every human being has their own quirks and tendencies, I just believe that starting off somewhere with a basis of knowledge in this area is only the beginning of a journey in self-discovery and introspection.

this sort of thing is just pop psychology. as a starting point, sure it can be great, but the map should not be mistaken for the territory.

if you're interested in other theories for "self-exploration" I'd recommend Erik Erickson's stages of personality development and/or Timothy Leary's eight circuits (Robert Anton Wilson has an interesting take on this as well, but calls them 'systems'). and of course carl jung is always good to read for this sort of thing, considering his work is what led to the myers-briggs test.

[member="pappy"]

Skippy said:
carl jung probably rolls in his grave every time this comes up. everyone has all these parts in their personality and its not some static state. your personality is always changing and evolving. if you get the same answer every time, in all likelihood you have some neurotic tendencies. and like all systems of thought, you'll never get a clear picture with one dogmatic adherence.

i.e. have fun with this, but don't take it seriously.
with that being said i believe i scored as an INFP the last time i took this.
The personality theory used for both Myers-Briggs and Socionics (or whatever) recognize that everyone has all of these parts available to them in their psychology, and that you can pull traits from all of them should your life require it. The premise behind "Dominant function" is that it's the one you're prone to consult the most to shape your phenomenology based on the developed pattern of behavior you've asserted to the test. Though your psychology is always "changing and evolving," that's just software.
It isn't as though your brain is actually growing new parts (except for when you're transitioning between childhood to adulthood, which could likely account for radical typology changes during these formative years), so there's nothing that's going to occur that's going to rock the framework to its foundations if it wasn't there before.

I'm not sure why Jung would be rolling in his grave, and I'm not sure why anyone shouldn't take this anymore seriously than anything else. If it works for you, if you find joy in it, you'd be insane not to stick with it. Nobody will ever have a clear picture because it's not done being drawn yet.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Trenchcoat Man said:
If it works for you, if you find joy in it, you'd be insane not to stick with it. Nobody will ever have a clear picture because it's not done being drawn yet.
I'd pay you to say that to me. Because it's awesome. :D

I got ENFJ-A: Protagonist. Which seems appropriate for my dominant perspective at this time.

The 4-Temperments thing was useless.

idk i find it hard to believe the software and hardware are separate. its psychosomatic synergy. plus when you develop new habits, your brain is literally creating new neural pathways. the ones you create never disappear, but fade out as new ones come to dominate. such is how personality characteristics function through brain elasticity. though i have no doubt that there are certain imprints and conditioned behavior that influence individual idiosyncrasies and "reality tunnels," which stick with us through our lives, but those, too, can and have been changed.

I agree with your last statement, but it seemslike a banal platitude -- as if through such careless misuse its become nominal like most new age thoughts. what works for us changes just like we do. we should be aware of that and open to more than one theory. im also skeptical a map can ever fully be drawn. that has with it the same naive thinking of things like Aristotelian logic, fundamentalism, and when we thought logic and science was going to save us back in the ardour of the enlightenment.

I can ammend what i said earlier by saying dont take it "too" seriously, and hopefully that satisfies you and we can find common ground there, however pedantic that may be.

[member="trenchcoat man"]

Skippy said:
idk i find it hard to believe the software and hardware are separate. its psychosomatic synergy. plus when you develop new habits, your brain is literally creating new neural pathways. the ones you create never disappear, but fade out as new ones come to dominate. such is how personality characteristics function through brain elasticity. though i have no doubt that there are certain imprints and conditioned behavior that influence individual idiosyncrasies and "reality tunnels," which stick with us through our lives, but those, too, can and have been changed.

I agree with your last statement, but it seemslike a banal platitude -- as if through such careless misuse its become nominal like most new age thoughts. what works for us changes just like we do. we should be aware of that and open to more than one theory. im also skeptical a map can ever fully be drawn. that has with it the same naive thinking of things like Aristotelian logic, fundamentalism, and when we thought logic and science was going to save us back in the ardour of the enlightenment.

I can ammend what i said earlier by saying dont take it "too" seriously, and hopefully that satisfies you and we can find common ground there, however pedantic that may be.

[member="trenchcoat man"]
[member="Skippy"]

All fine, but I think you've missed the point. And "banal platitude" is the weirdest-looking olive branch I've ever seen.

My contention was with your applying a "Caution" label on a framework a bunch of adults were having a laugh at. You're arguing for an open-mind, and you've offered additional google searches of other Freudians and Mystics, but in their mention, you had not felt the need to say in big bold letters "Yeah, man, but don't take this stuff seriously, either. Also, your religion or your scientific background -- not serious. Really, guy, I hope you're not taking this Star Wars stuff super seriously, because, you know, other things exist, too..." Etc., etc., etc.

And to address your neural pathway bit, I never said they couldn't be changed. The process I was describing was more like training muscles. You have to work at the functions that dominate each of the 4-letter personalities. Odds are, when that dominant function becomes your dominant function, it's because you've A) used it and made it very strong, and :cool: will continue to use it because it's your strongest attribute. It's behavioral. A person isn't -naturally- funny. They become funny by recognizing its value as a self-defense mechanism, finding an audience, continuing to use it, then developing their style, rhythm, timing, etc. You can't just walk into anything, and because of that, few people are interested in starting from scratch. Moving from ISTJ to ENFP isn't a huge stretch, but why would you want to? You didn't get to ISTJ intentionally, but it's based on decisions you've made because they felt right. You fought there, earned it, and developed a rigid self-narrative around it. A Personality disorder is only a personality disorder if you're not living the life you want to live.

As for the map bit, it was never meant to be absolutist. It was a narrative vehicle to recognize a continuously evolving self in a continuously expanding universe perceived from a limited perspective with a limited sensory range. I promise you, you've not got the market cornered on relativistic thought. :D

So, yeah, in short, in the New Age language we appear to share: I appreciate your excitement over Quantum Psychology, but in your eagerness to foist the prospect of additional gods on us, you've taken a nice big poodoo on the patron saints and ishta-devata that we may have selected for ourselves (I mean, neurosis? Really?). Read your Leary a little harder. You can understand the whole by zooming out or by zooming in. Infinity stretches forever in all directions.

P.S. I'm still dying to know why Jung would be rolling in his grave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom