Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Could a Lightsaber Sheath be Made Of?

One of my characters has a lightsaber which cannot be turned off. As a result, he instead keeps it in a sheath which blocks its heat, light and sound. My initial idea was having it be made of zillo beast hide, but this is probably impossible because zillo beast hide would be entirely indestructible and couldn't exactly be made into such an item. What materials could a sheath be made of, which could sustain the heat of a lightsaber for an extremely long time while also still realistically being able to be made into a sheath? I was recommended terentatek hide. Would that work? Or would something else be more suitable?

I have a feeling that would burn out your lightsaber. Technically the blade doesn't expend energy until coming into contact with something. So to be constantly trying to cut your sheath without being able to, it may sound ridiculous, but it'll drain your batteries

I commend the idea here, so I'll add in a suggestion: make the sheath connect to an external battery pack which feeds energy into your lightsaber through your sheathe.

It'd be like a proto-saber, except it wouldn't be :p

Yarva Adisu said:
Make the sheath of an off switch for your lightsaber
GV20e1g.gif

[member="Aerin The Lost"] Thank you! I'll probably go with some alloy, and the inside lining being Phrik.

[member="Yarva Adisu"] 2helpful4me. My character's too lazy to turn off the lightsaber, easier to just make a zillo beast hide sheath and keep it in there.

[member="Varien Moxla"] I like the way you think.

[member="Fatty"] The sheath does have a current running through it which keeps the lightsaber's energy levels constant. In fact, it can overcharge the lightsaber, giving it extra power for a few seconds after it's drawn. This current is also why the character wouldn't just use the sheath as a weapon if it's so tough, because that could break its mechanics.

[member="Salllkar volling"] The sheath creates a current within itself which can recharge the saber, so that's how it doesn't die. Thanks for the idea though!

if weight is an issue use Songsteel and Taozin skin. but remember Musashi Miamotto the sheath could be as deadlu as the sword it holds.
that being said there are weapons just as deadly as a saber out there

It would likely be a wise decision for you to submit both the lightsaber and its sheath through Factory to ensure proper balance of the technology and that it fits within the standards of the forum. I applaud your creativity, the Factory can help you hone it into something manageable.

[member="Edgy Wind Jedi"]

[member="Guarn"] There could be rare occasions in which he uses wields both the sheath and his lightsaber at the same time, using the sheath as more of a blocking tool, but it would be rare. I'll look into Songsteel, and if I'm able to fulfill its quest requirement I might go for it, but for now I think I'm going with Phrik.

[member="Lorelei Darke"] I do intend to sumbit a proper Factory thread for them, but for now I'm just trying to sort out which material would work best for it. It's just one less thing for me to get yelled at about for unrealism.

[member="Lisette Kuhn"] The sheath would have a series of circuits built into it to maintain a current which could help keep the lightsaber charged.

[member="Salllkar volling"] It's a really important thing for the feeling and aesthetic of his character. I know it might not be the most realistic, but realism isn't my #1 priority when it comes to Star Wars roleplays. If it's not over-the-top and not overpowered, then I don't see an issue.

[member="Edgy Wind Jedi"], dude we're talking about lightsabers. Nothing about them is realistic. This is the same genre where there are laser noises in space.

I say go nuts and do what floats your boat. It's certainly not an idea I've ever heard of before, which doesn't make it a bad one.

But yeah, use a restricted material and have it be your plasma wacking stick charging port. :)

[member="Fatty"] *Cites a blog post written by some guy about how a lightsaber could technically be possible by suspending plasma with electromagnets, and also by throwing around random science-y terms*

[member="Edgy Wind Jedi"]

If I actually had to make a sheath for a lightsabre, here's how I'd do it.
  • Make your sabre hilt really tough, like really high-grade metal that takes stress well.
  • Make your sheath out of something similarly tough.
  • Make the sheath able to clip/bolt/fasten onto the hilt.
  • Now your sheath won't wiggle around.
  • Strap on a serious cooling system for stray heat.
  • Key point: make the sheath slightly bigger than the blade, so the blade never touches the inside of it.

[member="Jorus Merrill"] It's certainly the best if one doesn't have lightsaber-withstandable materials available.

[member="Darth Carnifex"] Nah. Really helpful suggestion though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom