Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We Stand with Orlando

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoru Shakou

Earlier today a tragedy struck the city of Orlando Florida.

A lone individual perpetrated their actions upon those individuals within the Pulse Night Club; a local LGBTQ friendly club in Orlando Florida.

At this time there is sadly 50 People ( I refuse to call them victims. They were and still are people) whose lives were cut short and stolen from them; while there are 53 more who are injured (though they have wounds beyond the physical).

The news will attempt to distort and turn one group against another, due to the lone individual's claim of allegiance.

What happened today is horrible, yet it reminds us that life is fragile.

Rather than seeking vengeance and permitting the hate to flow; we should combat it with love and compassion.

If you can, Donate Blood; or follow the link [Here] and donate to help the families and survivors.

Likewise, The Center, is an Orlando based organization that has set up a hotline and has offered grief counselors for the coming weeks. They can be found [Here]

Let us show that we will not let fear, hate and anger rule us or guide us.

We Stand with Orlando.

[member="Yoru Shakou"]

Your belief that love and compassion will combat this terror is admirable , but at this point I think its proof enough the u.s has to go to war and finish the war unlike last time. Orr we will keep hearing of how good people are being slain by these monsters .

[member="Thomassayshi"]
No,we don't have to go to War. Remember Afghanistan? Yeah,that only caused unnecessary deaths. And also remember Syria? We destabilized their government,which are already showing symptoms of a immigrant crisis.

[member="CharlesFord"]

Those examples are examples of us leaving and not finishing the job, examples of politicians trying to run a war, afghanistan was where the enemy was, syria on the other hand , we were stupid on only used the airforce. If we simply went to war, killed these bastards, and went to finish the job, instead of leaving when we have momentum half our problems would be solved. My father told me every single example , and guess what,those examples are a terrible waste because the politicians decided to get in the way. Afghanistan was not uneccessary due to the enemies laying siege in the country, causing iraw to be harder to win, so we had to go there as well.

[member="CharlesFord"]

My father is a veteran and he believed they were not a waste.... but a necessity . My grammar is off because , of medical reasons so if you have a rebuttal dont be the annoying grammar nazi .

Yoru Shakou

I am nipping this in the bud right now!

If you are only here to spew rhetoric about what we need to do, and that we need another war or that a specific religion is all the blame; or anything that even hints of trumpesc thought; or anything that is only to further the hate, fear and angermonger, then remove yourself from this thread.

We are here to remember those individuals whose lives were cut short.

We are here to support those of our own who may have lost loved ones earlier today in this event.

We are here to show our solidarity and support for Orlando.

We are not here to turn this into another argument!

[member="Thomassayshi"] I understand your initial sentiment, I really do. You're right, we are not going to kumbaya our way out of this and it's completely childish to presume that abstract messages of "love", "tolerance", and playing John Lennon songs in the middle of the town square is going to solve the problem.

However, the problem with starting more foreign wars in the Middle East in the name of fighting "radical Islamic terrorism" is that once you've deposed the local dictator and propped up your pro-US colonial "democracy", whichever Islamic sect takes power is necessarily going to alienate the other one. This is how ISIS was created in Iraq in the first place. It seems the only way to govern the Middle East is through brutal dictatorship. Say what you will about Saddam, but at least Ba'athist Iraq was able to keep the Sunnis and the Shiites in line. It's also funny that you mention not finishing the job in Syria - Russia wants to do just that, but Kang Obama seems to be determined to prevent this any way he can.

The solution is not to start another war, the solution is to solidify our own national security and close our borders.

[member="Yoru Shakou"]

I agree with remaining focused on the topic at hand, but you seem to be forgetting a fundamental aspect of anything that has to do with both the Internet and an open forum thread.

When you open a can of worms like this, in which anyone can respond, you should expect to get all sorts of comments ranging from one person talking about their views to a troll typing "I am a alien".

There's a reason I followed this thread the minute I saw it.

We're a Star Wars fan-fiction forum. I'm not going to let this devolve into what I know some of you want it to. This was a real tragedy, real people lost their lives, and real people are mourning them. Honor those we lost, silently.

The thread will remain to do so, but the discussion of it stops here. There are plenty of other websites to take your discussion to, such as facebook, news media sites, reddit, tumblr, etc. I suggest you take them there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom