Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Voidstalkers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
1. Fixed with the quick change of "to protect them" to "to protect most of their core." It is already as fundamentally accurate as possible. They're squishy and membranous. It already mentions this. They are weak to X, Y and Z. Already mentioned as well. The strength of their protection can already be determined by the "hard calcium carapace" and all that was left is to specify that protection to a particular area or areas. Check. All of the parameters are now in place. Should be good to go.

2. The Reapers had parameters and objectives, like computers (which they were). I would not call that a culture, but that's not a debate of fiction or philosophy I want to get into here. To make a long story short, these guys are methodical, almost mechanical. Aside from that, they're completely individually-driven, meaning whatever one assimilates or adopts, if anything, is what one follows. I believe it already, in other words, mentioned this however.

[member="Countess Xyhn"]
1: Fair enough.
2: I humbly disagree with you.
I've compiled a list, from universities such as TAMU (Texas A & M) and UMN (University of Minnesota) that describes culture. And while they all differ, it shows that they can applied to any species, even one such as Reapers and thus your species, as it goes towards the development of the species in a way that is exclusive from genes.
  • Culture refers to the cumulative deposit of knowledge, experience, beliefs, values, attitudes, meanings, hierarchies, religion, notions of time, roles, spatial relations, concepts of the universe, and material objects and possessions acquired by a group of people in the course of generations through individual and group striving (TAMU).
  • Culture is the systems of knowledge shared by a relatively large group of people (TAMU).
  • Culture in its broadest sense is cultivated behavior; that is the totality of a person's learned, accumulated experience which is socially transmitted, or more briefly, behavior through social learning (TAMU).
  • A culture is a way of life of a group of people--the behaviors, beliefs, values, and symbols that they accept, generally without thinking about them, and that are passed along by communication and imitation from one generation to the next (TAMU).
  • Culture is symbolic communication. Some of its symbols include a group's skills, knowledge, attitudes, values, and motives. The meanings of the symbols are learned and deliberately perpetuated in a society through its institutions (TAMU).
  • Culture consists of patterns, explicit and implicit, of and for behavior acquired and transmitted by symbols, constituting the distinctive achievement of human groups, including their embodiments in artifacts; the essential core of culture consists of traditional ideas and especially their attached values; culture systems may, on the one hand, be considered as products of action, on the other hand, as conditioning influences upon further action (TAMU).
  • Culture is the sum of total of the learned behavior of a group of people that are generally considered to be the tradition of that people and are transmitted from generation to generation (TAMU).
  • Culture is a collective programming of the mind that distinguishes the members of one group or category of people from another (TAMU).
  • For the purposes of the Intercultural Studies Project, culture is defined as the shared patterns of behaviors and interactions, cognitive constructs, and affective understanding that are learned through a process of socialization. These shared patterns identify the members of a culture group while also distinguishing those of another group (UMN)
Now, if you are willing to admit that your species has no shared behavioral traits (which you explicitly mention that they do), interactions, cognitive constructs, effective and grouped understanding, no cumulative deposition of knowledge, no experience, no values, no attitudes, no universal meanings or purpose, no notions of times or roles, no spatial relations, no concepts of the universe; then I am willing to admit that this species has no culture. And if you admit this, then I can't accept your species as Sentient and will require you to change it to Non-Sentient. Otherwise, you will need to remove the line that says "Voidstalkers do not have culture" and replace it with a sentence of similar length, noting that they do in fact have a culture.

Otherwise, the submission will be denied as it stands.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
[member="Reverance"]
"Voidstalkers have a very brief and indefinite culture. Each individual is usually on their own for the span of their lives, as congregations do not serve the species any particular purpose. Most live on simply to analyze organics and biology, or discover more about the galaxy at large. The extent of any form of 'culturalization' is their inherent ability to essentially pretend to be a humanoid for the less monstrous appearance, in order to garner trust from the members of said society, which they will then live amongst while still retaining their 'cold, outsider' status. It is completely uncertain where this behavioral trait and objectivity came from; it is presumed that the Voidstalkers were first created when an ancient species was changed by the long-standing exposure to a powerful nexus, which would explain their attraction to Force Nexuses they find. As assimilationists, the defining aspects of their culture, as it were, are simply any traits that are acquired from third-party cultures or entities for the sole sake of perpetuating their instinctual lust for discovery in order to elevate and define their own existence. Voidstalkers are otherwise very methodical and impersonal with identities only being forged on the individual level based on experiences and extra-societal interactions."

[member="Countess Xyhn"]

First of all, I am not letting this thing go through unless something is done about the strength to weakness ratio. To me, it looks like the weaknesses were just randomly generated while strengths were thought out deeply and with effort. I know coming up with good weaknesses is hard, but please take the time and effort to do so.

I would like you to edit the weaknesses to balance out the strengths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom