Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Feature Tyranny Reigns, the Death of the Div

An old friend hit me up today and said her phone was lagging because of how many images were in the Invasion posts. Naturally, I want my friends to be able to browse my website in safety and in a timely manner. Because of this, I have all the ammo I need to finally take action and enforce some rulings that may be controversial with the community.

We tried it the soft way. I asked members to self-police, to be cognizant of going overboard. I pushed back against a culture of popular image editing, stating that this community began initially as a writing community, and image editing was only meant to augment on occasion. It's the community, as always, that has taken too far and I do not apologize for the choices I've had to make.

My back is up against the wall and you poked the bear. Shouldn't have slowed down my friend's phone, big dawg.

85a431425e2f94fb52a178c4c83887b2.png

This is now available in User Preferences. Read the descriptions, please. Or don't. You probably won't.

I don't care.

Also, hahaha Courier Font people, I warned you I would win the war. Why did you ever think you had a chance? Do you know who I am. I mean just look up, dawg. Beaten by a checkbox. Are you sorry yet. Streets are cold. Hahahaha.

HHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAAHAHAHA

DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM REALLY THO

JHSDHASHAHAHAHAHAHSAHSOIHALSAHHAAHAHAHA'

dd543cbfe8927b0c4da4a064d7194713.png

I WON

I WON

I BEAT YOU

DIE COURIER DIE

Report issues/bugs, but if its in relation to the "Hide Divs" option - look, because how divs are built and how crazy people are with it, some stuff is gonna look weird if you enable it. But it does clean things up, ALOT. So you can report them too, and I'll look, just don't expect anything to come from it.

I think that this is a good solution that let's people keep their flamboyant styles. I'm curious just how mangled it makes formatting when active on some of the more fancy divs.

Just turn it on and go through an Invasion or a Dominion.

To be honest, it looks way better than I thought - it doesn't strip anything but the divs. The biggest problem I've seen is when people are being super extra with like, lineups and player listing that was dependent on div formatting. It just looks ugly without some major formatting and distracting jpegs helping it out.

But readability on a strong like, 90-95% looked great to me. I didn't test anything on mobile though, so it might look crazy there lol.

Looks like ajax calls don't process the javascript either, so when you submit you can see the div because the javascript isn't stripping it.

Extremely isolated issue though, and tbh not worth fixing. I only saw it just now when I quoted your post.

Tefka Tefka

Just turned it on and scrolled through the new invasion on my phone and it's all good. Formatting is a little bit off with extra paragraph breaks but only a few lines. And everything is left justified as people put their alignment in their div. But otherwise works fine.

Doesn't hide the youtube clips that people have in their posts though which i wonder if are a greater lag problem.

Can't help but be curious what kind of ancient dinosaur phone couldn't handle the divs, but this is actually a surprisingly great solution, so no complaints here. I don't always use divs anyway. I didn't with Rajan in the RTL/SO Invasion.

Can't help but be curious what kind of ancient dinosaur phone couldn't handle the divs

Pulls out old motorola with side scrolling text only display at 5 characters per second... these divs are taking ages to read

I’m not sure why you think its cool to walk into my house and bully my friend over their phone, but I will do awful things to you publicly if you don’t stop and realize how much of a stupid, stupid boy you are being.

Look at what I just did to the Courier font people. In front of everyone.

Do you want that? Do you think you can G-check me in my house right now, and survive?

Not so much a phone issue for me, but an slower internet one due to living in a rural area. Even connected at higher speeds, the divs can be a pain in the ass.
I also live in a rural area with slower internet speeds. And at work where I can't use WiFi, it's even worse. Still haven't had any issues with divs causing a lag. Not that I've noticed, at least. My only issue is that some people's posts are a little difficult to read, but that's usually for other reasons. But still, there can be any number of contributing factors to why divs might give a few people a little trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom