Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship Type-2 Keldabe-class Battleship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Type-2 Keldabe-class Battleship

Image Credit: Wookieepedia
Kedalbe_battleship2.jpg
Type-2 Keldabe-class Battleship

Image Credit: Here
Image: Here
Intent: Filling a custom order for Ori'Alor Tal'Verda, and then stealing the design because I like the idea.

Development Thread: SSB Expo,
Manufacturer: Mandal Hypernautics
Model: Keldabe T2-class Battleship
Affiliation: Mandalorian Navy, Hyperion Security, Akaan'Ade, Liberty Concord, Open Market,
Modularity: Interchangeable ammo
Production: Minor

Material:
Durasteel-Reinforced Vulcan Mountings
Glasteel Viewports
Alusteel-Reinforced Quadranium {Hull}

Description:
Originally a unique ship built to order per the specifications of Ori'Alor Tal'Verda, the Type-2 Keldabe Battleship is an old Mandalorian design brought up to modern standards with some added firepower in the form of a battery of Vulcan Cannons and a number of defensive weapons, as well as double the number of Mass-Driver Missile Launchers from the original design. Upon realizing the effectiveness of the new design, Rygel Larraq drafted up new blueprints for the Keldabe-class using the unique retrofit as the core of the new design. The product is the Type-2 Keldabe Battleship.

OOC Description:
The Mass-Driver Missile Launcher systems -count as- Heavy, Long Range Mass-Drivers in terms of range and power.

The Shield Leecher Weapon requires the ship to reach close range with a ship of equal or greater size. The weapon draws in the energy of a nearby starship's energy shielding, causing roughly the same amount of damage that 20 Ion Cannons would do. The weapon routes the majority of the energy absorbed in this way back into the weapon, continuing the power the drain effect. The remaining 30% gets applied to the Keldabe's shielding. This effect can only restore shield strength lost while in combat and cannot charge the ship's shielding beyond standard levels. Should the Keldabe attempt to restore more shielding than it can maintain, the weapon will overload and become inoperable, potentially damaging nearby subsystems. This effect can remain in effect for so long as the Keldabe and her prey stay within 'close' ranges of each other. However, extended use of this sensitive weapon system comes with increased risk of the weapon overloading or suffering an electrical malfunction.

Classification: Heavy Cruiser
Role: Balanced, Battleship,
Height: 300
Width: 350
Length: 750
Power Core Generator/Reactor: Hypermater Reactor
Hyperdrive Rating: 2
Minimum Crew: 4,000
Optimal Crew: 6,000

Armament Rating: 19

Armament
The Type II Keldabe sports a balanced mix of Heavy Turbolasers and Heavy Ion Cannons arranged to fire either forward or in broadsides. Supporting these primary weapons is a battery of Mass-Driver Missile Launchers worked into the prow of the ship and an assortment of point defense lasers is spread evenly over the hull and a battery of Vulcan Mass-Driver Flak Cannons is installed on dorsal and ventral sides of the wing-like structures on the port and starboard of the ship. Also installed on the wing-like structures on the port and starboard of the ship are a pair of emitters for the forward facing Shield Leecher Weapon that makes this ship unique.

Hangar:
Three Squadrons of Fighters or Bombers
Half a Squadron of Shuttles, Dropships, or upto 3 Light Freighters

Non-Combative Attachments:
(5x) Heavy Tractor Beams
Encrypted HoloNet Transceiver
Standard Communications Array
Ray Shielding
Deflector Shielding
Enhanced Combat Sensors

Passenger Capacity: 1,000
Cargo Capacity: 20,000 tons
Consumables: 2 years
Sublight Speed and Maneuverability: 6 (2.0 Guide) 10 (3.0 Guide)

Starting here, I was only able to find 3 posts relating to the development of this ship, quite a few under the requirement. Also in the future please link to where the development actually starts so judges don't have to dig through an entire thread for related content. However since this is under 1,000m, it doesn't actually require one so that's fine.
"(3x) Vulcan Mass-Driver Flak Cannon Battery (60 capital weapons)" Going to need you to remove battery from this, those are groups of four. Also last time you used these I think we discussed something about the guns only shooting what weapon type they were listed as?
I also want to know more about the shield leecher, why can't it target smaller ships, what would it do to them, ect.
Finally, thank you for keeping this design so close to the original version without changing all the stats around.
[member="Captain Larraq"]

[member="Domino"]

Missed the 'battery' bit. that's corrected now.

Last time we discussed the Vulcan Cannon you made an argument for the weapon only firing the ammo type that was used when balancing it onto a ship. My argument was that the weapon can fire either ammo type without issue and that using it as 20 capital or 30 defensive in a design was more an aspect of the flexibility in the design of the weapon. Basically... if it fits, it fits. No limitations on what ammo type can be used other than the basic statement that it takes 30 minutes to change out ammo types, which keeps people from switching out in the middle of a fight and being cheep.

As far as the shield leech weapon goes... It's a canon weapon system with very little explanation. So I drew from my experiences with EVE Online and based its functionality on the Energy Neutralizer and Energy Vampire weaponry. Basically, the ship in question has a huge capacitor that can store extra energy and route the energy into the guns (or shields or engines realistically, but the canon sources said weapons, so I'm sticking with that). Now, in order to fill a capacitor from another energy source (say another capacitor or battery), all you're really doing is equalizing the amount of energy between the two capacitors. So if I have a huge capacitor on my ship that I want to fill, and I try to suck energy from a much smaller ship, there is only so much energy for me to take in. No where near enough energy to increase the firepower of my guns anyway. Granted, it might drop the energy/shields of the target ship (frigate or corvette) by half.... but it won't really have any positive effect on the Keldabe's weapons.

Captain Larraq said:
Last time we discussed the Vulcan Cannon you made an argument for the weapon only firing the ammo type that was used when balancing it onto a ship. My argument was that the weapon can fire either ammo type without issue and that using it as 20 capital or 30 defensive in a design was more an aspect of the flexibility in the design of the weapon. Basically... if it fits, it fits. No limitations on what ammo type can be used other than the basic statement that it takes 30 minutes to change out ammo types, which keeps people from switching out in the middle of a fight and being cheep.
Right I remember that now, go ahead and put that in writing for this as well.

As for the shield leach weapon... Having more power won't allow you to fire your guns faster or prevent them from melting down from forcing more power through them faster than they're rated for, and certainty never to a %50 increase in firing speed. That would be the equivalent of adding another 80 guns, only better because it's doing the same damage faster. Game tech has always been iffy when converting it to Chaos and is often unaccepted as game breaking especially here where there aren't game mechanics to provide checks and balances. For instance, having played the game I know that it only worked at extreme close range and for about ten seconds and actually did very little to anything a size class above it or in the same. I'll have to ask that you remove the benefits this provides the ship or to make them background some how.

[member="Domino"]
Domino said:
As for the shield leach weapon... Having more power won't allow you to fire your guns faster or prevent them from melting down from forcing more power through them faster than they're rated for, and certainty never to a %50 increase in firing speed. That would be the equivalent of adding another 80 guns, only better because it's doing the same damage faster. Game tech has always been iffy when converting it to Chaos and is often unaccepted as game breaking especially here where there aren't game mechanics to provide checks and balances. For instance, having played the game I know that it only worked at extreme close range and for about ten seconds and actually did very little to anything a size class above it or in the same. I'll have to ask that you remove the benefits this provides the ship or to make them background some how.
I never played the game, so I've no knowledge of how it worked there. But I'd like to find a way to make the weapon work here without unbalancing the design. I'd hate to drop a canon component simply from a failure to try. For one thing, you say that the weapon has little effect on ships its own size or larger. Considering that a healthy mix of Ion weapons are included in nearly every design on this board and that the range of ion weaponry is typically the same as a turbolaser, (and the fact that the two are interchangeable anyway), the effect of 20 Ion Cannons against a heavy cruiser or larger would be fairly negligible. It's like taking a solid hit from a Corvette. And at 1/3rd the effective range of a comparable ion cannon, that seems like a fairly reasonable way to get a very situational "+60 capital weapon damage value". If we keep it the same, but restrict the bonus rate of fire to the Turbolasers, that puts it at a situational +50 damage traded for a 20 capital weapons that are only usable at close range and only effect shields.

Sound fair?

I already gave you my answer on that. No. Asking again in a different way wont change that.

Someone has put forth the idea of using it to temporarily boost your own shields at a diminished return, something like 30% which makes more sense given the weapon's name. However repeated use in a single engagement carries with it the risk of burnout (totally frying your own shields). This would lengthen the combat effectiveness of the ship without breaking the tech and carries a penalty for spamming.

In the future please do not argue when a Judge makes a decision. They do this for your sake, not their own. The Factory is a luxury.

Approved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom