Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Twin Exiles

[member="Kaida Taldir"]
Phylis shrugged. “I’ve heard the name. Never spoken to her I think. What about her?”

Eyrecae meanwhile stepped aboard the ship, unstrapping her sword and laying it in a convenient place. She glanced at all the technology and things around her. She couldn’t read what they said, but most things had handy little indicators on them. A fire extinguisher for instance showed little flames being sprayed.

Wandering through Phylis’ ship she came to the work room and her eyes lit up as she beheld the forge.
“Of craft, a true and noble skill. Would that I, in this latter time, would experience again the hammer and anvil.”
She picked up one of the tools.

A movement made her look around and she saw a small rodent eying her cautiously.
“A pet, I wonder? For why else would such a rodent be aboard?”

Kneeling down she extended a hand and the creature stepped cautiously onto her armour. A glance at the eyes showed specs deep within.
“Ah, of the spirits you are enchanted. Of the Jedi, perhaps an experiment you are? A curious creature you are.”
She gently stroked the rat’s back before setting him down.

A beep made her turn to view the droid.
“Of you, an automation such as the masters had, I see. Obedient, loyal, knowledgeable, all traits a cleric should have.” It beeped something, and Eyrecae frowned. There was a language there, but she could not pick it. “Of language, I think the translator I do require with you, though your Mistress has that skill already I deem.”

She patted the droid on the dome. “Of provisions though, I deem you know where they might be found. Of hunger and thirst I have greatly. Pray find me something, loyal automation.”
The droid beeped something side, but did trundle off.

[member="Eyrecae Alzari"]

"She's a cowardly leech, a sadist and spends her free time molesting little girls," Kaida said bluntly. The Order had told her to leave because her actions threatened to expose their little club and bring it into disrepute. No one wanted a sociopathic sadist around. That was it. But the disgraced Angelii was no longer bound by their vows of secrecy.

"I have evidence that I'd like you to pass on to the Queen." Assuming it was acted upon, it would embarrass a great many influential people, which was why she doubted it would be made public. In fact, it was unlikely that Valriya would suffer the punishment she, in Kaida's eyes, truly deserved. But she hoped for heavy labour.

[member="Kaida Taldir"]
Phylis looked aghast. The Jedi had a very clear sense or morals and justice, and she trusted Kaida’s word.
“You have my word, Kaida. I’ll do whatever I can to see she receives justice,” she said, taking the data card offered and putting it into her robe.

XXX

When they boarded the ship they found that Eyrecae had made herself at home indeed. She’d stripped out of her plated armour and now wore only the quite tight bodysuit underneath. She was sitting at the table consuming her third meal of rations. Six-Nine was bringing a fourth which she eyed hopefully.

She raised a fork to the pair in greeting.
“Of me, that I started I hope does not vex you. For of food this is not the most delectable of morsels, it does satisfy me. Well I know rations, and I feel them here, yet I thank you regardless. Please, join me, my friends!”

She cleared aside some of the trays for them to sit, smiling jovially.

“Of Kaida, to what destination do we travel? Wherefore your enemies to oppose and be defeated? I fear you may not think I am of much use ‘till I demonstrate how I can assist.”

"Thank you." Kaida did not get emotional, but her words were genuine. Entering Phylis' ship, she found Eyrecae stuffing herself with food. The frost elf wondered whether the Paragon's enhancements might supercharge her metabolism. Normal Eldorai already had a high one. Keeping her fed would be a chore. She better make it worth it.

"We need a ship," she spoke, not responding to the ancient's jovial invitation. She helped herself to some food though. She was hungry and she might as well snatch some rations before Eyrecae wolfed them all down. "You can drop us at Mon Cal or somewhere close by," she told Phylis. "We can acquire transport there. Chance for you to earn your keep," she added to Eyrecae.

[member="Kaida Taldir"]
Phylis nodded. “That’s a good idea. I have some contacts there and can get you a loan of a ship…if you pay them back.”
She handed a data card over to Kaida. “Humayun is a Mon Cal who has a good selection of ships. Hmm, tell him I sent you and he’ll get you a good deal. He likes to upsell. Hmmph, don’t take the paint protection.”

Eyrecae had finished her meal and cleaned her face with a napkin fastidiously. She rose and stretched.
“Of a course, brave and noble Kaida, I shall earn my keep. Of enemies, those who would dare to stand against us we shall most ruthlessly decimate. Though it may be that much time has passed, I dare thine enemies are mortal and cannot resist our full fury!”

“Well, if we’re all set I’ll lift off,” Phylis said, shaking her head slightly at Eyrecae’s pronouncements.

Nibbles, sensing another new person, peered at Kaida curiously from on top of a shelf.

A rat peered at her. Kaida felt the Force swirling about it. Strange. However, she was not the type to pet it. As a matter of fact, she wasn't fond of animals, though she could tolerate those that were actually useful. At least this one looked housebroken. She gave Phylis a curt nod. Her gaze turned back to Eyrecae, while the ship presumably lifted off.

This was undoubtedly the moment for both elves to bond. Perhaps braid their hair and talk about girls. Or not. The frost elf wondered if Eyrecae had ever been a real battle. Had she stormed a trench by ascending over the mutilated, bloodied corpses of her comrades? Had she been forced to put failed comrades up against the wall and shoot them? Her excited words made Kaida doubt it. War was not a game. Nor was it glorious. It was hell. It was a necessity because they lived in a cold, bleak Galaxy.

"You'll have to familiarise yourself with modern weapons. Technology has moved on," Kaida grunted. This was a good, practical thought. She was being thoughtful and helpful. Instead of wasting time with bloviating and pointless drivel. Meanwhile, the ship took off, leaving the island and eventually Tygara. Hearing the howl of the ship's engines, Kaida sighed slightly.

This was it. She was out. Would she return if the motherland was threatened? Perhaps. She doubted that day was far. But it would be out of a sense of duty towards her people, not obligation towards the Crown. For good or ill, she was leaving her old life behind. But her course was clear. There is no doubt, there is no duty, she reminded herself.

"Are you aware of the advantages and limitations of your enhancements?" Eyrecae had been designed to be a supersoldier, but no one was invincible. A good soldier needed to understand the tools at her disposal. Far as Kaida was concerned Eyrecae was one of her soldiers at this juncture. Her only one. This made the former High Captain responsible for her. No matter whether the Ancient agreed or not. But it was easy for the frost elf to think along those lines. Like muscle memory.

[member="Kaida Taldir"]
Eyrecae nodded. “Of weapons, can you show me the weapons you use now? I feel best to determine the efficacy and workings of weaponry by testing it.”
Phylis did not keep many weapons on board, only a spare lightsabre, which Kaida obviously also had one of.

At the second question Eyrecae gave a grin. “Of skills, I was not bred and created without trial. On fields across a dozen worlds I fought. The Masequi fell before us, their great engines overturned to flaming ruin. The Verusanti fought with noble valour, but their cities and fortresses were razed, their people driven to submit.”
She saw a listing of names Kaida didn’t know was not really proving her case.

“Much battle and war and death have I seen, Kaida Taldir. Through fire was how my path was chosen, battle was my life. Now…perhaps it can be more. Of skills, I can list or show you, though mayhap it be wiser to do so when there are facilities to best show them.”

"Good," Kaida said. She revised her original assessment...somewhat. The Ancient had been tested in the forge of battle and knew warfare. She seemed to have a bit of an idealised view of it though The names meant little to the frost elf since they were ancient races she did not know of. So she could not assess how advanced and challenging they'd actually been.

"You can demonstrate your skills later." Having said this, Kaida got up. Removing her lightsabre's hilt from her belt, she ignited it. There was the trademark snap-hiss as it produced a yellow beam of energy. "This is a lightsabre. It is almost weightless, can chop a man's limbs off, cut through almost any metal alloy and deflect more projectiles more reliably than a Sarix. You need Sciia to use it effectively."

Well, a number of non-Sciians had been able to utilise it, but Kaida was a bit of a snob and didn't count those. In her defence, crazy droids were exceptions that proved the rule. "A few metals are resistant to it. Chiefly Beskar and Phrik. Cortosis can short it out under certain circumstances," she added. There were a couple others, but most were less important. "A Sarix can keep up with it for a while, but is inferior."

Deactivating the weapon, she put it on the table and reached for her Cylix bolt pistol. These days, the heavy sidearm was standard issue for Angelii. "Cylix bolt pistol. It fires scaled-down explosive bullets. Slow rate of fire, high recoil, small magazie, significant stopping power. Can penetrate most forms of personal armour, bar the sturdiest. If a lightsabre-wielder tries to block them, she'll be showered with molten copper."

[member="Kaida Taldir"]
Eyrecae looked over the lightsabre approvingly. “Of this, I note that this blade is of pure energy composed. A plasma brand whose burning fire can cut through most. What it lacks, I deem is weight behind the blows.”

Eyrecae held out her hand towards where her blade lay and it flew to her hand! This was…strange…since she clearly was not using the Force. Whatever trick it was, she didn’t explain. Instead she drew the blade and it flared into life. Kaida would recognise the type well; a Sarix, but due to its age…possibly the first Sarix.

“It is of interest just how this old blade will serve me in this new age.” She sheathed it again and laid it on the table.

The gun she examined, taking it from Kaida and ejecting the magazine. Her movements were professional, precise. She was not primitive like the Qadiri or Vashyada.
“Of this, a heavy sidearm it is. A true weapon with which one might well pierce the hardest armour. Yet aim well, I deem one must.”
She dry-fired the empty gun, feeling the balance, nodded, and reloaded it before handing it back.

“Of this, I see there is much to learn for me, Kaida. Happy shall I be to learn these new techniques of war, and even to pit the Crystal Blade against your sabre of light in training.”

"We can." Kaida liked intense training. Or hitting people in general. "Weightlessness gives a lightsabre greater speed, but lack of mass weakens the force behind the blows." Which, in Kaida's estimation, made actions of the 'I attack relentlessly and rain down a storm of blows' variety stupid and self-defeating. A Ren had tried that against her on Skor and she'd absorbed it with her shield.

She examined Eyrecae's proto-Sarix. She could feel an aura of the Force surrounding it. It had to be Force-imbued. "What alloy is it made of?" She was no blacksmith and thus could not discern such things automatically. Presumably the sword did not use Rakatan tech because that was banned. Stupid Factory rules.

[member="Kaida Taldir"]
“Ah, a rapier then, of which my blade is the broadsword compared. Of duelling, a fair balance it should be therefore, the skill of one is of the prime determinant a victory is won.”

“Of a light yet very strong metal is it forged. Many names we had, of which ‘Phrik’ may be the one you knowest most. Of the blade, mother herself forged it, and with the power within her imbued it. With then the power of the masters’ technology added. Yet rarely has it tasted battle, for the great battle for which is was forged never came.”
She considered that, chuckled. “Or came whilst I slept in blissful ignorance.”

Meanwhile in the cockpit Phylis was piloting them from the atmosphere when the ship’s communicator beeped. She saw who it was and coughed.
“Hmm…not good.” She opened the channel. “Ah…your majesty, what can I do for you?” she asked, trying to keep her tone level.
This would be an interesting discussion for sure!

"The ignorant call it the 'War in Heaven'," Kaida spoke caustically. Awkward silence. "You're right about one thing. The Eldorai are in a pitiful state. Most are smug, arrogant, cruel and whiny. We still have a duty towards them."

One wondered whether Kaida might be happier if she just gave up on this duty thing and tried to live a little. Then again, maybe it flattered her ego to think that she was the ascetic knight in sour armour who did her duty no matter the odds - and was thus superior to those she looked down. "What was Ashira like?" she asked awkwardly. Wait, was Kaida trying to indulge in small talk? Perhaps because she had nothing better to do at the moment.

[member="Kaida Taldir"]
Eyrecae leaned back, waved a hand nonchalantly.
“Of belief, do not be so quick to discount it. For whilst surely it has uses which are of intent and course evil, it is something for which people rely. All of us have beliefs, Kaida, even you – though not as it turns a belief in my mother.”

“Ah, mother, for whilst she was of course not my birth mother, it is the manner of my raising, and the respect of her which I feel. Of Ashira, a wise and beautiful woman she was, a person of dignity and honour, nay a true queen. And yet, as all, she was not perfect. Too willing to believe her children, too swift to indulge them. Of the story told by you, I can see where that led.”

Meanwhile in the cockpit, Phylis accepted the call from the Queen.
“Ah, Master Jedi, leaving us so soon?” she asked. Even through the hologram she could be seen raising an eyebrow.
“Yes, just making a quick stop in Yakul and then leaving the planet. Of course I can…uhh…go straight away if I need.”
“Why would you need to do that, Master Jedi? Last I heard you were excavating a ruin in the Middle Sea. Did all go well?”
Phylis swallowed. “Ah, well, the door was blocked, going to try and find a solution,” she gabbled.
“Interesting. It’s not like you to give up so swiftly. Regardless, I have just received a report from a very confused young Angelii. She seems very certain that there were no survivors from a ship that crashed nearby. You know High Captain Kaida Taldir? She was on board, fleeing from her arrest, if you can believe it.”
“I…I…” Phylis said.
“But if you say there could be no survivors I take the word of a Jedi Master on this,” Anya said smoothly. “I think it might be best if you took some time away from Tygara after your brief stopover in Yakul. I am sure you have projects elsewhere and I would not want to distract you with our issues.”
“Yes, thank you, Majesty,” Phylis said, breathing out.
“And Phylis?” Anya said, tapping a button off screen. “I spent many years as an exile, then a Princess, now a Queen. In all my time you are probably the worst liar I have ever encountered. I don’t know what you found, I don’t want to know, but take it away. May the Force be with you, but it’s best you don’t come back for a few years. Goodbye.”
"Wait!" Phylis said. She coughed. "I...uhh...have some information about a certain person's crimes from an...uhh...anonymous source." She connected her datapad.
The Queen nodded. "Received. Let me...ah, interesting. Thank you, Master Jedi, and thank your 'anonymous' source."
The connection switched off.

When Phylis stumbled back into the room with the two Eldorai she looked pale and sweaty.
“We’re…we’re landing at Yakul in half an hour,” she muttered, before heading off to a bathroom.

"I believe in what I can touch, assess and see with my own eyes. Not fables. Or deities swooping down from the sky to save the helpless who won't help themselves." In Kaida's opinion, naive belief was why the Eldorai were in such a sorry state. Of course, she was certain that her beliefs were far more sensible because they were based on 'rationality'.

She gave Eyrecae a curt nod when the ancient spoke of her mother. It was still difficult to think of her as a normal person - and separate her from what successive generations of Eldorai had made out of her. It took some getting used to acknowledging that there was a real person behind the myth. Kaida herself had few memories of her mother.

Phylis popped in, looking out of breath, sweaty and pale. Kaida frowned slightly and grunted something. "Yakul is where the Vashyada live in the forest. Your sister Tylania is their spiritual guide." Kaida had some trouble emphathising with the wood elves because their culture was so far removed from her world view. They'd done a good job protecting themselves against Qadiri and Xioquo attacks, but to someone like her their culture seemed primitive - and doomed.

[member="Kaida Taldir"]
“Of faith, it is for this reason Ashira built neither temples nor shines to herself or my sisters. Let our people follow us because of respect and our strength, not mere blind belief. I fear that of the time since, things have changed to be the very extreme of which we resisted. Beliefs in no person or deity do I hold, rather it is myself in which I believe. If something is to be done then it is for I to make it happen.”

Eyrecae looked thoughtful at this news.
“Of the Vashyada, she has not given them the technology she does surely know? Still they reside in forests when she alone might have gained great power and dominion? Tylania was always thus.”

“It’s probably for the best that she didn’t try and rule the world,” Phylis put in.

Eyrecae merely shrugged.

Soon enough though they came in to land smartly on the landing platform not far from the shore. This was part of a trading station right at the edge of the forest. Some of the braver Vashyada came out with goods to trade, strictly overseen by a commission of Eldorai and Firemane to make sure no ‘unauthorised’ technology was distributed.

As they stepped down, they found that the station was strangely quiet, with just one woman waiting for them. Kaida would sense an immense power about this woman, and she was making no effort to conceal it. She was also floating slightly above the ground.

“Welcome back, sister. I felt your arising, but until that moment your presence was hidden from me. Kaida Taldir, Phylis Alince, welcome. I have made things private so nothing will disturb us.”

It was time for some...frostiness. "The Vashyada were not equipped to conquer. The climate and disease alone would have decimated them. But she kept them in stasis. They have no technology, no higher learning, they are vulnerable to disease their cousins overcame ages ago. Sooner or later, their primitive utopia will come crashing down and their race may die with their culture." She took no joy in that, it was simply the way she saw the world.

Perhaps exhausted from so much talking, she followed the other two in grumpy silence. Outside was a trading station. Some Vashyada tried to barter with Tygara's colonial overlords. The Eldorai and Firemane gave them shinies and baubles in return. Personally, Kaida was more than a little disgusted by that practice. All it did was keep the wood elves hungering for more while they remained in stasis. Tygara's racial caste system was not built to last. However, there was little business going on today. Eventually the came across the Lady in White, who was surrounded by an aura of power. The frost elf said nothing.

[member="Kaida Taldir"]
Eyrecae stepped down the ramp and towards Tylania. “Sister. We meet again at last.” These were not the words she spoke, rather, they seemed to rearrange properly in their heads courtesy of Tylania’s telepathic gifts.
“I’ve taken the long way around, you might say,” Tylania commented.
“Still, you’re not less worse for wear because of it. You were always my favourite anyway.”
“Of course, our other two sisters are…or used to be…power-mad lunatics. Come, I have some things to share with you, I know time is short.”

Phylis stood on the platform as the sisters conversed. She glanced at Kaida. “Do you ever regret learning the truth? I guess you’d have found it out anyway; you’re smart and not, hmm, given to simply believing what you’re told.”

Whilst they talked a stealthy figure had crept onto the platform from below and snuck for the open ramp behind the two women….

Perhaps uncharacteristically, Kaida gave the question some thought. If she had not learned the truth, what would she have become? Perhaps one day she would have made it to Captain General. Or even Grand Seraph. She would be lying if she claimed that this was not something she wanted. Perhaps over time she would have swallowed her doubts and conformed. Like stupid choir girl. She pushed the thought aside.

"No, I don't regret," she said firmly. "I'd rather be an outcast and aware of the truth, than delusional, decorated and part of the herd." Her old life was dead. There was no point in looking back. The only place to look was forward. Back straight, gaze resolute, eyes turned towards the enemy and the task at hand. That was the right way for a soldier to live. She stiffened slightly, for her sensitive elf ears picked up on noise coming from behind her. She reached for her Cylix bolt pistol...

[member="Kaida Taldir"]
Phylis nodded in approval. “Though less dramatic, the events in my life have mirrored that. I could likely have stayed with one of the Jedi Orders, likely become Grandmaster or some such rank. However, after so critically compromising themselves in so many ways, I could no longer be a part of them. I remain a Jedi, but I don’t need someone telling me what I know already, much like you.”

She too heard a sound, or rather felt a presence which sharpened her senses. She turned, her lightsabre ready but not ignited.
Crouched by the ramp was a Vashyada, a female, quite young. She had once been dressed well, but was now dirty and ragged. She looked about to flee, but Six-Nine burst from the ship tooting madly and waving a welder arm. The Vashyada let out a little cry and fell down the ramp to their feet.
“Please, mercy!” she said desperately. “Call off the metal demon!”

Phylis was undoubtedly a nicer person than Kaida, so she gestured her droid to back off.
“Who are you, what were you trying to do?” She looked to Kaida to see if the Eldorai had any input.

Kaida was not a nice person. So she'd raised her gun. If the intruder did something ill-advised, she'd kneecap her. She scrutinised the frightened wood elf. The Vashyada looked dirty and ragged, like a fugitive. A strong sense of fear and desperation emanated from her. "You can't pilot the ship. You want to stow away. You've probably never left the forest. Who are you running away from?" she demanded in her usual authoritative - or immensely bossy - tone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom