Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Twin Exiles

[member="Kaida Taldir"]
“Hmmph, okay.” Clearly Phylis had forgotten just how laconic Kaida was. Indeed, even the Spartans of old would probably have considered her too closed down.

The Jedi Master went to her ship and returned with an odd gadget which she placed over her head.
“It’s a crystalline poly-matrix which…well it does what we need,” she trailed off, knowing Kaida neither understood or cared.

Kneeling down with Kaida behind her she reached out to the door. There was something there, not something living of course, but something which could interface with the Force. This was how the Rakata operated; they had built these items very much with the Force in mind. The irony was of course that the modern Rakata were Force-blind savages not able to understand or use their own technology.

Of course, a human and an Eldorai were not fully compatible, but they were not seeking to enter using traditional means, they were attempting to force the lock to open.

After a moment of heavy strain the door did indeed slide back, but the feedback loop was a psychic blast which made Phylis cry out. Had only one of them tried this it was clear that the feedback might well have overwhelmed them, even burned out their minds.

Reaching out with the Force as pain filled her head, she gestured to Kaida. “Put a boulder in the door!” she hissed. “Can’t hold it…much…longer….”
Fortunately all the boulders the Qadiri had piled over the structure would fit ideally into the door and prevent it closing again.

[member="Phylis Alince"]

Ouch.

Kaida's mind was struck by a massive psychic blast. Her shield strained against the attack, trying to keep it from frying her mind. Beads of sweat dripped down her face and back, as burning shards tried to bury themselves deep inside her brain. Pain and agony filled her head. She forced herself to focus.

Pain is just weakness leaving the body, she repeated this like a mantra. Lowering her defences so that she could concentrate better, she reached out with the Force. The agony intensified, and she dropped down to one knee, but she lifted a boulder and hurled it through the air. As the door slid shut, it found its path impeded by the huge rock.

[member="Kaida Taldir"]
Phylis tore the device from her head and slumped to all fours on the sand, taking deep breaths. After a moment she sat up and used the Force to drop a second rock into place. The doors were not closing again.

Six-Nine beeped in concern. “I’m fine, I’d forgotten how bad Rakata defences were.” Using the droid she hauled herself up and headed for the door. “Come, Kaida, let’s see what we’ve got.”

Clambering over the rocks, Phylis entered the chamber.

The room was dimly lit in each corner of the six metre square chamber by strange glowing towers. The room was free of any outside interference and the air felt dead. Only a faint patina of dust had made it through the nearly airtight doors.

In the centre of the chamber was a sarcophagus tilted slightly forward. On the left wall was a control panel, on the right side was an ancient projector.

Phylis had used the Force to lift Six-Nine inside, and headed for the controls.
“Hmm, looks like we were just in time. Rakata technology and power sources are incredibly efficient, but even so I think this place only has oh, maybe a hundred years before it goes dead. Hmmph, lucky us.”

[member="Phylis Alince"]

"She'll be confused when she wakes up. Even if her marbles haven't been fried. She may react violently. Be ready," Kaida looked across the room, taking the chamber and the various devices that lay around. "Don't activate the controls just yet. The projector may contain information on her." Sometimes it was better to exercise prudence. She'd faced a Paragon once, but that had been as part of a team of Force Masters, backed up by a crack squad of Angelii.

[member="Kaida Taldir"]
Phylis paused, nodded slowly. “A wise course. Six-Nine, check out the controls but don’t activate them yet.”

Phylis passed in front of the sarcophagus, seeing it was transparent, she looked at the woman within. She looked very much a warrior, clad in ancient armour, bearing a blade. Her face was serene, and Phylis could feel the Force in her, though weakly because of the stasis.

Moving to the projector she looked at it for a moment. She recognised some of the symbols, and activated it. At first nothing happened, but then, crackling, an image appeared. A Rakata.

The words it spoke were too fast for her to follow, so she had to listen to her droid’s translation.
“His name is Raik’aro. He was in charge of the…” she paused. “Did he really call it that? He did? Hmmph, he was in charge of the ‘Slave Paragon Obedience Project’. This message was left for when she woke so that she would have her orders. Her name is Eyrecae.”

Phylis played with the controls a bit more, but there seemed nothing else.
“Well, Kaida, your choice. Shall we awaken the warrior queen?”

[member="Phylis Alince"]

Outwardly Kaida showed no reaction. I see where my people got the attitude from, she thought to herself. The few words Phylis had spoken were enough to tell her that Eyrecae's creator had been a monster. It need not make the 'Warrior' one though. Moreover, she was still an Eldorai. She should be given a chance.

"Yes," she said, you might have guessed it by now, laconically. Turning away from the disgusting, ugly alien - these were Kaida's thoughts, though her writer agrees - she stepped towards the sarcophagus. However, rather than stand right in front of it, she kept her distance. For all she knew being in stasis for millennia might have turned Eyrecae into a rabid dog. If she had, the frost elf would not allow her to escape and wreak havoc.

[member="Kaida Taldir"]
Phylis nodded. She reached into her robe and tossed a small device to Kaida. “There’s an earpiece inside. It’ll translate what she says, though only literally. If you speak it will translate your words out in the same language.”
She had one the same. “Alright, Six-Nine, let’s do it.”

The warrior lay.
She lay not dead, not asleep, not waiting because waiting implies expectation. Perhaps the best word was…dormant.

Light. Blinding light. She blinked slowly, as if it was happening at a fraction of normal speed.
Instantly she felt the sensation within her as she breathed the first time.
The ‘light’ was in reality an open doorway, and not so bright not she accustomed herself to it.

It took effort but she sat up. It was not what she expected. Two people were there. Both female. One an Eldorai – though not one she knew. The other was a…human.

"Am yfel ungeboden ætnêhstandrêogan mîn mîlite ongeniman handplega? ðider is mîn cennestre?"

Phylis gestured to Kaida to turn the translator on, and for her to say something.

[member="Phylis Alince"]

First Contact situations were an awkward affair. Though Eyrecae was of the same race as Kaida, it probably counted as one. After all, she'd been dormant for more than twenty millennia and spoke an archaic Eldarai dialect that had gone extinct ages ago. It was time for Kaida to...talk. She did not like doing that. "You will not be harmed," she stated. In her opinion, her tone was nice and friendly. Everyone except her would probably disagree. It was a staggering 0.01% less frosty. "I am Kaida Taldir, this is Phylis Alince. You have been dormant for many millennia. What is the last thing you remember?"

[member="Kaida Taldir"]
Eyrecae cocked her head to the side. Her keen ears picked up words being spoken, then retransmitted through a small box the Eldorai carried. A translator, she swiftly determined. It spoke to this woman’s story.

“Of mind, the last which I recall was the master and my mother also here assembled. To me, the last of the tests were needed, and so they bade me rest until the day of recalling. To you, has the day long past? What is of my kindred now remains? Of time, the millennia you spake, how many of which has passed?”

She moved gingerly, letting the sword fall as she struggled to stand, the blade clattering and cutting into the stone as if the latter was soft pine.

“Of them, to what end befall my mother and the Master? Of fate, was my family slain, for only that explains why they never did return.”
She looked confused and worried, but not aggressive. She glanced to Phylis.

“Of her, a human now stands here. Has such time passed that they are civilised such as we?”

[member="Eyrecae Alzari"]

"We slept, the humans progressed," was all Kaida had to say regarding Eyrecae's last query. The woman did not seem aggressive, but the former Angelii nonetheless remained alert. "Your master is dead. The few surviving Rakata are primitive savages. Some of your siblings are alive, your mother is dead." Probably for the best not to mention that she'd helped kill one of her sister's. Of course, it could serve as a good object lesson. "25 millennia have passed. The Eldorai are scattered."

[member="Kaida Taldir"]
Eyrecae raised an eyebrow. “Of fate it seems, the many faceted hand of irony does unsheathe. For those humans of which we were promised would be our servants now outpace us. Far must our people have fallen for this to happen. And with them come, I deem, the many alien races of the galaxy, many of unfavourable disposition. The wheel of fate, I see, full circle has it come.”

A pause, and then a short laugh, almost a bark as she jumped to her feet. Phylis had edged back, but Eyrecae extended a hand.
“To you, fear should not be your recourse, for I mean you no ill will. Messengers you are of a new and strange era. And yet the truth I see in everything you wear and say. For a score and five millennia has passed, the stars must be very different. Yet not all is so bleak, for though my mother lives not, you say some siblings survive? Wherefore do they stand in this new time? Are they the Queens of our people? And wherefore are the valiant Qadiri, of whom I was promised rule.”

"No, we progressed from following 'immortals' and decided to choose our own rulers," Kaida stated bluntly. Many of their rulers had failed them, but at least they'd picked them. Though usually through bloody coups. Nonetheless, Kaida was rather fervent in her rejection of the divine right of queens.

"The Qadiri have moved on, but are fractured. No single leader rules them. They are socially and technologically behind the Eldorai. Of your surviving siblings, Tylania acts as a guide to the Vashyada's rulers. The woman you knew as Ardarvia still lives. She gave up on ruling anyone. Mystra became an evil tyrant and was slain," she paused for a moment. "We have a ship. We should continue our discussion there." Partly because Kaida was getting just a little edgy about Angelii showing up.

[member="Kaida Taldir"]
Eyrecae raised an eyebrow at the first, then laughed.
“Of rulers, has this selection produced the results for which our people deserve? For truly one might reject the immortal yet find the myriad mortals not an improvement. For if our people lay in the power of another, perhaps our reign would not be so easily discarded.”
She clearly didn’t know of the fate of her sister Ardarvia yet.

Stepping down from the sarcophagus she took a few tentative steps, then reached to pick up her sword and sheathe it on her back.
“Of Qadiri, their division and disunity is clearly the call for me to unit them. Perhaps they have been merely awaiting my awakening? For if they lack in strength and wisdom, this I can provide to give them aid for the future.”

The tale of her siblings seemed to amuse her more than anything. “Of family, it seems a sorry pack we are. Where once we were to inspire, now we shrink or hide. Of their fates, I am not surprised.”

The invitation to the ship made her pause in her dreams of unifying glory.
“And now, you would have us leave? Whyfore the sudden haste, are you pursued? Has not there been a plan to find me, or was it merely chance that delivered you here?”

"We do just fine without your 'guidance', You immortals were so enlightened that Ashira was murdered by one of your own siblings," Kaida said icily. "And Mystra thought being 'immortal' made her special and meant she could lord it over the peasants. I helped kill her. The Qadiri haven't been waiting for you. You've been asleep for thousands of years. You know nothing of them. You have no clue about this Galaxy. You have no special destiny - no more than anyone. You and your siblings - all of us - were just designed to be slaves for insane aliens."

Eyrecae's query cut her off from her unusually wordy rant. "I am a wanted fugitive and the Eldorai government would rather you be asleep. You can come, go your own way or remain. Either way, don't expect me to bow to someone just because some xenos made her immortal because they wanted a weapon. Only weaklings bow."

[member="Kaida Taldir"]
Kaida’s angry rant stopped Eyrecae. She seemed surprised, but her reaction was perhaps unexpected. She did not become angry or rant, nor question Kaida’s facts. Instead she let out a snort of laughter.

“Of truth, I see you now speak. Great power unbalanced with responsibility, does trouble cause. Though of our purpose I was aware, I had believed the promises made of my dominion. Unwise it would be for I to presume to rule when of this time I know nothing. Of immortality, clear thoughts it does not guarantee.”
A smile.

“Perhaps indeed, the deathless boon is mayhap a curse. The curse of arrogance and assurance which does drive and push one to unwise course.”

“Of Kaida, you are I see a warrior, of strength and resolve. About you I see the signs of your spirit, an icy shroud it does of you surround.”

She looked to Phylis. “Of you, the human whose curiosity brought you here, what say you to Kaida’s words?”

“Hmm, well, Kaida is right when she says that your ‘family’ has not exactly covered themselves in glory. Two have turned out to be tyrants, one was murdered, and one has played the role of hermit shepherd. As for the government, the Eldorai don’t know the truth of your sisters and mother, they believe you are literal deities. The Queen knows but she would very much want you kept away from public sight. They perhaps would preferred you never waking up.”

“Of religion then, a most ignoble thought, that we have become mere myths and superstition. With you, valiant Kaida I shall come, and not try to command you at all. Indeed, for all I must learn, the language of this era first of all.”

Wait, what?

Kaida actually looked surprised. "What?" Yes, she was unable to mask her surprise. She'd expected resistance of some sort. Or anger.

Those were comparatively easy for her to deal with. The primeval Eldorai actually being reasonable was more awkward for her.

"Fine. Come on," she finally said in a more brusque tone. The sun had set outside.

[member="Kaida Taldir"]
"Of me, a violent reproach you did expect? To disbelieve, nay to vent frustration upon you for what is a dying time? For'sooth, such would be a course both ignorant and rash, playing more to the follies of my siblings than of mine. For now, I feel, a time to depart we should set. The truth of your words I have fully discerned."
She looked highly amused still.

As Phylis used the Force to lift out the droid.

Eyrecae observed nodded. “Of you, Phylis of Alince, the spirits I see empower you. A priestess or a cleric are you, for the robes do this imply?”

“I’m a Jedi,” Phylis said. She realised that clearly this woman had no idea what that was. It was that long ago.
“We are the guardians of peace and justice. We use the Light Side of the Force to protect people from evil and darkness.”

Eyrecae’s cynical eyebrow again raised.
“Of you, a warrior, in robes undefended? Clearly brave you are, or by the spirits defended.”

“Hmmph, well I like to think a bit of both. One does not need armour and big swords to fight.”

“Of now I see, the many changes now revealed. Still, an ally I do hope you are, and a teacher too. Never before this day, a human I had met, curious am I to what you are and how you think.”

“Plenty of time for that. Shall we go? I suspect we will have unwelcome company soon.”

“Yes, depart we shall, though I must ask you for a boon. Of food and drink I do require, more than others of my kind. And though I ate before I slept, ne’er had there been a longer interruption between meals as now!”

Seeing Six-Nine struggling in the sand she casually picked up the droid as though he weighed no more than a suitcase, and placed him by the ramp.

“To adventure then, of suns and stars and many ventures forth.”

Kaida was a bit taken aback. Most people were not reasonable. Especially if they were Eldorai. She was able to regain her composure while Eyrecae conversed with Phylis. The frost elf held her tongue. All that talking earlier had been exhausting for her. She kept her scathing thoughts about Jedi in general to herself.

"I'm leaving the Matriarchy. I will join a group of exiles who don't bow to the Crown. You can come," she finally told Eyrecae, who'd just lifted the astromech droid as if it were a toy. To her, it sounded it like a glowing invitation. Most people would probably think the opposite. But then a brusque tone counted as nice in her books. At least it wasn't an entire paragraph of dialogue. Naturally she saw no reason to elaborate on who said renegades actually were.

[member="Kaida Taldir"]
Eyrecae considered. “Of space, I feel I should first traverse. Much has changed, I deem, and wisdom dictates I learn before I return. Of morals though, know this Kaida, I will not fight for you against my kin. Rebel you may be, and defiant of the Queen’s power, but I am not going to slay them. Not until I know at length the proper status of this time.”

She headed up the ramp of the ship.

Phylis looked at Kaida. “I’ll drop you off where you want, and if you want her to go with you, that’s fine. Look after her though, I think it’ll be a while until she’s properly up to date with the times.”

"Suit yourself. I'm no terrorist. I won't murder my sisters," Kaida sounded just a bit animated. "But I'm finished with a rotten system." There were so few Eldorai left. They numbered not even five billion. To Kaida, the Matriarchy was doomed. If outsiders did not invade it and enslave its people, it would simply fall apart because the foundation was rotten.

But Kaida was no terrorist. Askari should have been standing her with her, but the choir girl had chosen golden plates and silk sheets over duty. Choir girl was a fool, a coward and a traitor. She gave Phylis a curt nod. "Yes. There's something you can do for me. How familiar are you with Valriya, the Crown's Logothete to the Angelii?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom