Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Travel time between planets

I promise I looked and even did a search but I can't find an indication of how you calculate travel time between planets?

It seems a problem occurs on Planet X and people arrive from Planet Y by the time the second post occurs. I just wondered if there was either a table/chart or a rule of thumb e.g. 1cm on the galactic map = x hours.

And it led me to wonder if it was factored into invasion threads.

Thanks in advance...

I can't find the wookiee article at the moment, but I remember reading somewhere it was several weeks journey from Coruscant to the edge of the galaxy or something like that. I generally enjoy the thought of travel taking awhile - but since I can't seem to find any canon distance/time charts or anything, I'd say just be as reasonable as you feel you need to be. No one is really going to get mad at you for it, unless you somehow cross the entire galaxy in one minute.

There is a graph chart in the Star Wars table top role playing book from West End Games. Did you need calculations from one planet to another? Or were you looking for it so you could just use it when ever for rps here on Chaos?

[member="Maja Vern"]

[member="Maja Vern"]

Most people, to my knowledge, operate on the rule of "When the story demands it" in order to add tension / relief / etc. As long as you don't port from one edge of the galaxy to another in the span of minutes like [member="Sarge Potteiger"] mentioned, you should be fine eitherway.

Travel time in Star wars is hard due to hyperspace routes, the level of your hyperdrive, the class of the ship, graviational interference. In truth it is hard to judge the speed without creating a damned equation (That im sure no one here wants to do) And that would probably be false anyways considering theres far too many variables.

[member="Maja Vern"]

Thanks both all - at least it proved I did look (and I didn't want to start to quote external sources in case we had something). My concern is that others travel too quickly to come to the rescue.

My interest has been piqued because, as Factions grow in terms of planets but not necessarily members, they'd have to stretch themselves thin. If the opposition attacked two points on opposite sides of their empire (small 'e') it would take some time to mobilise the 'heroes' to come to the rescue.

I Googled it. A few options but they're all really, really long travel times.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/mrwong/wiki/index.php/Hyperdrive

And, according to the "Behind the Magic CD-ROM," the direct travel time from Coruscant to Tatooine is over three weeks while the travel time from Corellia to Tatooine is only four hours, despite both Corellia and Coruscant being in the galactic core. And that's based upon a 1.0 hyperdrive.

It makes you think...the battle would be over before the PCs got there.

Thanks again.

[member="Sarge Potteiger"] | [member="Aleister Grey"] | [member="Alexander Nester"] | [member="Memorial"]

[member="Maja Vern"]

An army is not compromised entirely out of Heroes tho'. The more planets a faction gains, regardless of it's PC member base, the more conscripts it will field, the more resources it will stockpile, the more firepower they will posses. People can easily create NPC Generals/Officers/Admirals to fill in their spot where they cannot logically be present from an IC perspective.

I agree with the above two posts by the way.

[member="Darth Morgoth"] - and that's the odd thing. We have rules about these things. If I want to invade you, we discuss and agree which planet and you can move the PCs into position. It's just that it supports s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g yourself really thin with limited consequence. Most empires in RL fell because they overextended. If you're a rebel and want to hit and run, you can't And early warning systems tell you x ships have dropped out of hyperspace next to your planet but if the guys you want to lead the troops are 3 weeks away...

[member="Alexander Nester"] - Where's your @ button? As I type the full [member etc. it's just reappeared. Odd? Anyway, again I agree but it's rarely the NPCs that defend invasions, it's always the main protagonists.

And by the way, this isn't a complaint, more of an observation as it both interested and confused me in equal measure. But that's just me. Thanks to all for indulging me.

[member="Maja Vern"]
The reason it takes longer for a straight shot from Coruscant to Tatooine is because of the gravitational interference that occurs all throughout the direct and fastest straight route, which would make hyperspace travel impossible. Corellia has a somewhat better route with little interference, allowing for a faster travel time. It is all relative to hyperspace travel, as it is faster-than-light and apparently transcending of space and time, as seen by Sith who use a damaged hyperdrive core to jump 6000 years in the future to Luke's time.

Edit: And I'll be posting in our thread when I get off of work today.

Beowoof

Morality Policeman :)
Darth Sinna said:
It is all relative to hyperspace travel, as it is faster-than-light and apparently transcending of space and time, as seen by Sith who use a damaged hyperdrive core to jump 6000 years in the future to Luke's time.

No. Why can't we leave that in the Trek universe?

The time it takes seems to vary on the writer. Zahn always emphasised how long it took to get anywhere, but in the Clone Wars series and cartoon people popped up on the other side of the galaxy pretty quickly.

So it boils down to, like all RPing, what makes sense for your fellow writers.

Maximus Stanforth

M
The one time I have had to RP travelling a length of distance was in an Invasion travelling from the One Sith Capital world to Empress Teta.

When I joined as the Invasion was winding down to a close I went with a three post over three days plan to reasonably explain how my character got from A to B without just magically appearing on Teta.

/me shrugs

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom