Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Three Tier Non-force user rank titles

rain21199

The One Horned Demon
Personally, when I roleplay with a force user I look at his/her rank titles and can tell around how strong they are. When it comes to non-force users, everyone seems to be of the same strength, the only difference is the writer's skill and their equipment. Of course the amount of rps generally has something to do with the skill level of the character, but there is no distinction between a brand new character and one that has been around for years. I'm not sure what the ranks would be, but I guess we could discuss this here.

NFUs follow a faction's rank system, so while generally that may be 3 tiers, it could also be 4 or 5.

I support the idea, it's not a bad one, it's just ranks for NFU are handled a bit more liberally than FUs

Beowoof

Morality Policeman :)
Personally, I prefer not to be restricted to ranking when playing an NFU. Besides, Padawan/Knight/Master ranks aren't (or at least shouldn't be) based on power alone.

There is also nothing restricting apprentice-ranked Forcies from being just as 'badass' sans Force powers. Force users are just as capable of being written proficiently in physical combat as your average NFU. It's just that most Force players don't think to go outside the box like that because they like to exercise all their fancy schmancy 'magic'.

So I don't believe there is a need for this. Just let RP be more fluid and cut down on the powerplaying. You might find NFUs more willing to play at a less intense level when you don't try to constantly manhandle them because your tag says 'Knight'. ;)

Just keep in mind that they're only titles, and they matter little in relation to whether or not you play respectfully. :)

Jsc

Disney's Princess
A Force User is the only place you need Tiers because the Force is the only place you can judge that kind of potency. NFU come in so many shapes, sizes, species, skills, and with magical-pony-racial-abilities; that it is galactically impossible to Tier them. See what I mean. One guy can change shapes. One guy can become invisible. One guy is impervious to lava or hot temperatures. One guy is a lion with six legs. ...And those are just some of the lesser racial abilities from a small selection of the zillions and zillions of crazy aliens that roam our galaxy. You can't Tier that. You can't Tier that. Anything else is just vanity. :D :p

Nah. Do what I do. Assume that every NFU you meet in an RP is a Tier 4. Then, pick a fight at your own peril. Yeah. Always served me well and that's the truth. :)

No.

Ye olde craftshop had the 3 tiered system and it made exactly zero sense.

With Force users they are essentially wizards and a Jedi Master is powerful because of their abilities. An admiral though is not meant to be a good fighter in melee combat, so would this 3-tier system be based on IC rank or IC ability?

When you think about it, it only makes sense with the Mandalorians (who have a de-facto version of this) because they are so militant.

Think of my character who is essentially leader of the Republic. Is she a high tier? She's a politician with no melee skills. But she's definitely done enough to be promoted...so how does that work?

rain21199

The One Horned Demon
[member="Jay Scott Clark"] you do know force users can be most of those races as well right. Im talking about generally expertise in the was that they operate. Force Users can be generally ranked even though one can be someone who only heals while the other is a tank who rips through enemies.

[member="Valiens Nantaris"] Im talking about how good they are at what they do, whether it be tactician, fighter, or pilot. I think it would coincide with faction ranks fairly well because you need to be skilled at things to be an admiral.

Well there's going to have to be one for like soldiers, criminals, mercenaries, maybe bounty hunters, droids and merchants. Probably a generic one.

Criminal - Crime Boss - Crime Lord
Droid - MK II Droid - MK III Droid? (Seems too lazy)
That's all I got

Jsc

Disney's Princess
The Shadow King said:
[member="Valiens Nantaris"]

Range..skills?????
wut?

___

[member="Cain Laatl"] You know Tiers had to do with PvP right? NFU's were given the AWESOME BUFF that they need not bother with them. Every NFU was assumed to have the immediate potential of defeating any Force User in PvP. It's actually. A really, really cool. Really, really good thing. *wink*

So far as I'm concerned, an NFU will always be fine being measured upon their ingenuity and effort at writing.

If an NFU goes 'I throw a grenade at you, it lands at your feet.' I will value that much less than three paragraphs detailing a though process that ends with 'I'm going to throw this grenade at you, then when you go to dodge that, I'm going to shoot at you too.'

Jsc

Disney's Princess
[member="Cain Laatl"] Nah that's good man. Keep that up. Character profiles help a ton in that regard too. And look, I get it. This is a tough thing to understand. It's a perspective thing. No where in the rules does it explain how to judge the 'power/skill/potency/writing potential' of another NFU. It's like this grey area. Less of a competition and more of an art form. When you're PvPing somebody, how much respect should style, and art, and flow, and puncuation, and formatting have towards winning a fight. Right? That's cray cray.

But that's what we ask NFU's to do everyday. To respect each other in the highest regard and attempt to just, write it out. Everybodies different and we just kind of expect new writers to get that. It's a hard thing to do. But simplify NFU's down into 3 categories of 'whatever', will not make that process easier. Trust me. I write a Force User. Haha. :D :p

[member="Cain Laatl"]
The paradox is that the higher ranked you get, the less your actual combat skills are, usually. Mandalorians are an exception, but this is not the Middle Ages. Generals do not lead from the front, Admirals do not join boarding parties. Politicians are not secretly ninjas.

So if you have a power rating to reflect how good they are at their job...isn't that what RPing history, backstory and writing skill is for? It's like I see all these characters with 'genius' in their signatures, but so many of the posts are inane twaddle.
Prove your character has the skills by showing not telling me.

Force users is completely different, that's why they have a tiered system, because they gain rank AS they gain power. It's usually the reverse with NFUs.

Valiens Nantaris said:
No.

Ye olde craftshop had the 3 tiered system and it made exactly zero sense.

With Force users they are essentially wizards and a Jedi Master is powerful because of their abilities. An admiral though is not meant to be a good fighter in melee combat, so would this 3-tier system be based on IC rank or IC ability?

When you think about it, it only makes sense with the Mandalorians (who have a de-facto version of this) because they are so militant.
And the Yuuzhan Vong

Cain Laatl said:
Personally as a writer I use rank titles to help me out when doing things. i.e. Cain could feel the power radiating from her
Please don't ever do this with me.

I try to be less than the rest of the master-ranked force users, and any NFU is just as capable of taking me out if they have the correct skill set and knowledge as anyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom