Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on Invasions

[member="Darth Atrophia"], while I appreciate the deconstruction you made with my argument, I would like to point out that you missed out on the point that everything you commented on were supporting arguments, building up to the conclusion, which you either ignored, or didn't have anything to add to. The main point was to go with what feels more rewarding for everyone to write and what would make sense in context.

Also, if you put it like this:

Darth Atrophia said:
The actual invasion thread, which is what we're talking about, is the summary of the most important point in conquering not simply that planet or system but a direct route to that planet. You won't simply own a dot on the map, you will own a spaghetti string from A to B in which your supply route is then established.

Wouldn't it make sense then to have separate invasions for each of the planets in the "spaghetti string," as you so aptly put it? Unless they are planets not controlled by anyone, then obviously it makes sense not to waste time on that unless someone specifically wanted to. I'm not saying there should be incredibly realistic posts about establishing supply lines, since as you pointed out, most wouldn't consider it entertaining, I am only pointing out that such a route must exist in order for the invasion to be an actual invasion and succeed in doing so (unless you have a vastly superior force already carrying everything it would need after conquering the planet and to last until a proper supply route can be established).

Which brings us to the point that it should make sense to only invade worlds to which you can establish a supply route running through your own or neutral, but not enemy territory. Any fleet, especially one large enough for an invasion, passing through enemy territory means an increased chance of the invading fleet being intercepted before even reaching its goal, with the chance of interception rising exponentially per enemy system crossed.

It's not that it wouldn't be possible to get through enemy territory; it's that it is statistically improbable to get there without being intercepted beforehand. We're talking about a sizeable amount of capital ships, not the SSV Normandy XD

*waves a little flag for the OP-CIS invasions of Druckenwell and Naboo*

Really, a lot of failure with regards to invasion drama can be sourced to faction leaders. If you communicate clearly, and have a willingness to compromise and collaborate (as all good Faction Leaders should), then there is literally no reason invasions couldn't be fun for the whole faction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom