Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The World of the Dead

Rann nodded as he began walking in the direction of the building, trying to maintain cover over head.

"That makes sense." He said and then pointed towards what appeared to be the stairs to a subterranean station. "If we gotta stay out of the way, I got a good feeling about down there," he said, then paused, and shuddered.

"Well... not a good feeling." he asked, and then stopped dead in his tracks his eyes locked on the stairs, "Do you feel that?" He asked. There was a dread down there...and regret. Sadness.

"Run!" "They're coming!" "Get down the subway! Go Go Go!" A chorus of voices played in his head, all at once. Hundreds of voices screaming all at once, begging for salvation that...Rann felt did not come.

But...He still felt pulled that way, as if the Force was directing him and before she answered him he walked towards the station as if in a trance, uncaring or unaware as to what Master Noble thought or wanted to do. Rann had to go, he had to see.

As he descended the stairs down into the station, he confirmed the worried feelings that had flooded his heart and mind. The decayed remains of the citizens of the city lay down here amidst scant rubble.

However, Rann noticed that the rubble around the bodies wasn't enough to kill them. And it seemed to fall long after they had been decomposed. As he entered further into the darkness, he saw more bodies around with no indication as to what killed them.

"The bombs stopped. We're safe...we're safe..." Koff koff koff koff
"What is....GAS!"

Rann stopped and looked around, taking in the sights. Faint whispers of life lingered just outside his sight but he felt them surrounding him and he felt like an intruder.

"I'm sorry," he said, looking down, "We'll leave." He said, continuing down the station to the tracks. "Master Noble?" He asked, quietly, "I say we go this way," he pointed down the tunnels in the direction of the government building.

Valery Noble Valery Noble

Anubys
div-orange.png
Outfit: Factory Link | Wedding Ring
Appearance: Link
Ship: Link
Weapons:
Lightsabers
Tag: Rann Thress Rann Thress

"Down there?" Valery didn't seem as convinced that it'd be a good idea. Because even though it'd offer shelter against bombs, and made it harder for them to be detected, she feared a risk of collapse. Or that they'd run into a collapsed end of the tunnel later to block their path, forcing them to turn all the way back around. But before Valery could voice any of her concerns, Rann just seemed to kinda wander off without communicating.

Valery raised an eyebrow, but she felt something about him that kept her quiet, and made her just follow him instead.

What they found was... disturbing, to say the least. The echoes of the past reached Valery as well, though not as vividly as Rann seemed to perceive them. She could tell that they had quite an impact on him, and offered him a reassuring smile for it as soon as he turned back to face her.

"Alright, let's just hope that the tunnels are stable and not full of other dangers," Valery said before pausing for a moment. She looked him in the eyes and tilted her head.

"Are... you alright? Let me know if anything is too much and maybe I can help somehow."

"I'll be alright." He said simply as they continued down the tunnel, keeping quiet out of respect and a little fear of the dead, remembering what happened all those years ago....

"Do you remember the Agents of Chaos?" he asked once they were further away from the entrance, hoping to both distract from the dread and provide Master Noble a reason for it. There weren't as many remains this far down, indicating to Rann that either the people didn't have time to flee further in, or that perhaps some scavenger species may still live, subsisting off of whatever scraps they can find. Rann, however, chose to believe the former, and continued talking despite the uncertainty, trying to keep himself calm. Rann tended to ramble when he got anxious, and he was very anxious.

"They really really hated the CIS. I suppose a lot of people did, back in the day," he continued, casting his eyes around the tunnel watching for anything as he stepped over the very occasional pile of rubble and debris.

"Why they in particular, I don't know. There were plenty of rumors, little inside jokes we had," he said with a smile as he remembered the Dog, Gerwald Lechner Gerwald Lechner . "I seem to remember they hated...like...what was it...?" he looked down and pursed his lips, trying to remember, "They hated the concept of nations. EMPIRES!" he said, turning excitedly to Master Noble with an exaggerated wave of his hand before turning back towards the darkness. "Which always struck me as odd that they attacked the CIS first when the actual literal Sith Empire existed. Yeah, sure, the CIS was run by Darth Metus, but we always tried to remain firmly grey in origin. Sith-like, Jedi-like," He held his hands up as if weighing something in both of them, "neither, everyone had a home there and everyone was treated...okayish." He stopped, remembering the Slaughter on Rannon that he had committed against his own people. With a sigh and a shake of his head he continued, "But the actual...LITERAL Sith Empire was around back then too! Emperor freaking Carnifex! Not your Warlord of the week this was one of the worst guys in the Galaxy for the past hundred, two hundred years! The ACTUAL Sith EMPIRE and the group whose mandate it was to bring DOWN Empires attacks the CIS first!" He shook his head, remembering a conflict that ended decades ago.

"Anyway. They attack Ryloth first. I didn't know Metus was my father yet but I--" he stopped, turning back. "I didn't mention that before, did I?"

Man I really cannot shut up when I am scared.

He looked for a second, then turned back, "Well, either you care or you don't, anyway I have to finish my story or I've rambled in the dark for nothing so bare with me." He said before continuing, "I just happened to join up with them. I needed security and food and they needed able bodied Force Users. There was some parade on Ryloth, I think... Founder's day. Nice public holiday. All of a sudden all hell broke loose. Bombs everywhere, Twi-lek insurgents everywhere riding beasts and causing problems and I still to this day haven't forgiven the Twi-lek people. That day is how I got this," Rann held up his robotic right arm and waved it.

"Some Twi-lek with a point to prove attacks me, I beat him but he's a sore loser so he blows me the hell up. I'm lucky that's all I lost." He looked at his right arm and clenched the metal fist before dropping it to his side and continuing forward.

"So I'm laying in a pile of rubble, not unlike this one," He says, gesturing to one of many piles of concrete and material, "my arm is missing, I'm covered in blood, I'm scared, I'm panicked, I'm pretty sure I'm dying. Battle is still raging around me, no one can really get to me, so this is it, I think. That's a picture wrap and I'm barely twenty years old or so. So while in that state of emotional turmoil and physical trauma, my dear old Pippap Isley Verd does a magick ritual that summons the ghosts of the dead...on RYLOTH. A planet that, historically, has NOT had the best of times! I'm laying there, in the capital city of Ryloth, emotionally vulnerable, and hundreds of THOUSANDS of dead pissed off Twi-lek and other races ghosts rise to haunt the living. And they're awfully attracted to me because of the state I'm in, right? So I spend...hours being bombarded with every negative emotion every dead person has felt going back millenia. You'll forgive me if I did not handle that with grace." he said, before turning to Master Noble, tears in his eyes,

"So, to answer your question. No. I'm not alright. But I'm working on it."

Last edited:

Anubys
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsabers

"That was... before my time," Valery said at the mention of the agents of chaos, which would probably sound strange to him. She'd only explain having gone through stasis if he asked, though, and decided to just listen for now. She was familiar with the CIS, as well as the Sith Empire, and the new Carnifex visibly made her frown, "Would you believe me if I told you that he's my father-in-law?" Valery asked with a smirk.

It was another long story, but she did marry his son. At least her husband wasn't a crazy Sith Emperor.

Then... he mentioned that Metus was his father, and Valery blinked — seemed like they both had some interesting family ties. Still, she offered him a smile and listened quietly to what he wanted to tell her,

It only got even more intense from there.

Finally, when he had finished his story and told her that he wasn't alright, she paused and looked at him, "You're very strong for being able to keep going despite all of that. Just... never give up," Valery said with an encouraging smile, hoping it would help ease the pain he felt just a little. Valery herself had a newfound appreciation for the man. She looked him over, from toes to eyes, and nodded with a little smirk. He had definitely gone to hell and back, she could tell, but it had shaped him into who he was today, and he looked strong, as he dared show a stranger his tears.

"I hope you get the support of people around you as well?"

Rann let out a small chuckle once the initial surprise of her relation to Carnifex subsided,

“Y’know oddly enough I would believe it. Families can be tough.” He said with a smile, wiping his face and turning back around to continue walking. As the darkness continued to creep around them, with the occasional break in the structure now turning to complete foundation blocking out whatever rays of sun there were, he slowly reached down for his lightsaber, “Dark,” he said, exhaling slowly.

“I hope you believe me when I say I’m only doing this for light. And…well, it’ll make me feel better.” He said as he ignited the blade with a silent command: On.

pssheew!
The crimson blade whined into existence, casting everything around Rann in a red light as he raised it above his head. He thought for a moment about what Master Noble had said, before letting out an audible “huh.” And turning his head to look at her over his shoulder, “Before your time?” He asked, confused, she looked to be at least his age, maybe older. But not under 20.

“That wasn’t that long ago?” He asked again, carefully choosing his words. He learned something you never asked was a lady her age, but still he was curious.

Yet he turned his head and continued moving through the tunnel, raising his saber against any noise that happened. He felt some presence around them. Not ghostly, more….bestial. Something was watching them in the darkness. Yet still he continued speaking, deciding that if something were there, they already knew they were, and sneaking was no longer an option at any rate.

“Well…at any rate, thank you. Truth be told, I don’t know what other choice I had but to keep going. At some points…At some points I felt it was weak to keep going. It’s silly, I know, but-“ he stopped suddenly, answering her last question.

“I have people I know I can count on. A sister, specifically, Damsy Callat Damsy Callat . My father had…has…had… a ton of children. She’s the only one I really recognized as family. It’s been a long time, but… yeah I need to give her a call at the very least.”

He finished speaking and stopped, “wait,” he said holding out his other arm, “Yeah… we have company.” He said as several pairs of eyes appeared in the darkness. Their eyes glowing red as if reflecting the light of his lightsaber even though they were outside the ray of luminescence it provided. They started growling and barking, and soon more appeared, trying to move around the pair and surround them.

Rann readied his lightsaber, and quickly drew his other one, igniting it with a subconscious flourish.

It looked like the world wasn’t completely dead after all.

Anubys
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsabers

"I believe you." Her voice was resolute, even as a crimson blade ignited from the emitter of his weapon. She had felt that darkness from the moment they met, but she had also sensed his intent. He wanted to do good, perhaps be better if he had felt that he needed a change in his life. That alone brought her confidence that his will was pure, especially here.

Especially now.

"I was born a very long time ago," Valery then explained when he picked up on her earlier statement. "I ended up in stasis for almost 4000 years, before I woke up around the time the Sith Empire fell. Not long before the CIS fell as well," she explained, hoping it would shed some light on her situation.

Valery's eyes then briefly drifted away, as she felt the Force stirring around her. Movement, of something more primal. She knew now that they weren't alone, but whatever lurked in the shadows had yet to reveal itself. Until it did, Valery remained vigilant, and kept her hand closer to the lightsaber on her belt.

"I'm glad that you are, and please do reach out to your sister. I'm sure she's worried sick about you," Valery said with a chuckle. She never knew her own sister, but she had a rather large family now. She knew what it was like to worry about them, and if she were his sister, she'd want to hear from him again.

Wait.

The moment he said it, Valery pulled the hilt of her lightsaber into her hand, and turned her back towards his. A violet blade ignited, and her fiery gaze started scanning the area through the dark. Keshian eyes could see body heat and so much more in the dark, so she could tell that beasts were moving around them.

"Stay close. We need to cover each other's backs."

Rann nodded and held his lightsabers forward, the curve of the hilts aligning with his arms to keep whatever foe he faced at a greater distance. He slowly backed up towards her, taking great care to feel for any rubble or debris that may trip him up as he fell back towards his ally.

“4,000 years huh?” He said as they met and covered eachother just as the beasts in the dark continued barking and coming forward, quickly skirting along the edges of the tunnel to surround them both. Rann kept his eyes glancing between the beasts in front of him, fighting the urge to turn his head towards those behind him. He placed his faith in Master Noble, and he trusted her to protect him as she trusted him.

“I cant imagine. Being gone for so long, then waking to find how different, yet probably how familiar, the Galaxy is. At least you weren’t conscious for that time.”

He thought about Kyyrk Kyyrk , his one time master who had been alive for millennia. Besides for the time he died that one time.

He wondered silently if that still counted.

The small beasts, coming closer, were some type of dog. And they continued to bark and growl as if to intimidate the pair. Rann, however, was unfazed.

No, no. he thought, We’re not fighting on your schedule, we’re on mine. he pulled an arm back and shot it forward, as if stabbing the air, and opened his palm, shooting his lightsaber like a rail gun towards the closest dog, skewering it quickly and then recalling the blade as the other dogs began to charge forward.

He brought his sabers back up to guard and instinctively brought his right arm up as a dog jumped up to take him down, catching the metal and chomping away in vain as Rann brought his spare up and stabbed it quickly, dropping the beast to his side as he prepared himself for another attack.

Anubys
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsabers

"It was difficult," Valery said, as she stared down the beasts that began to circle her. She felt no desire to even try and look over her shoulder — she trusted him, and she was ready to show him that he could trust her as well. "But that's life," Valery added, a split-second before the first of the hounds jumped at her. Rann was attacked at exactly the same time, a clear attempt to keep them both occupied so they couldn't help each other.

But Valery didn't need any help.

As the beasts jumped out at her, Valery raised a hand and telekinetically froze two of them in the air. She flicked her wrist up, and the two beasts were hurled into the ceiling. They yelped on impact, but were silenced the moment Valery slammed them back down into the ground.

A third jumped for her legs at the same time, but a single swipe at inhumane speed severed its head from its body.

"Rann?!" Valery called out. "You doing okay?"

“Peachy!” Came Rann’s reply as another beast lunged at him. Again, he held his arm up to catch the bite and again he attacked with his free blade, wheeling it towards him and up in an arc, severing the beast in two. He felt Master Noble reach into the Force to dispatch a few attackers and thought to follow suit, perhaps give his poor robotic arm a break.

He looked out towards the pack, its numbers dwindling now to but a few more, and disignited his right saber, reaching out towards some rubble that lay next to him. Just as soon as he did, however, he screamed out and held his head in his hand, doubling over.

Screams of the dead reverberated in his skull, begging for peace, begging for safety. Flashes of their deaths burned into his mind as he shut his eyes trying to block them out.

Sensing an opportunity, the creature he had intended to crush with rubble lunged, tackling Rann to the ground as two others surged forward as well, gnawing and clawing at Rann as his lightsabers fell from his hand and extinguished against the floor of the tunnel and Rann himself raised his arms again trying to protect his face and stomach as he cried out in pain, trying in vain to summon the force to his aid.

Anubys
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsabers

They had this.

Standing back to back, the creatures could not take advantage of their numbers, and one by one, they were being struck down. It was almost too easy, and with every passing moment, Valery's trust in the man behind her began to grow. Enough to take a step forward, and start pressuring the beasts, rather than allowing them the initiative.

But right as she did, Valery heard his scream.

Unable to turn around with two beasts coming at her, she could only focus on him through the Force. She felt his pain, as the beasts attacked, and clenched her jaw. There was no time to think, no time to consider her options — she had to act, and she had to act now, or else risk his life.

In one sudden move, Valery stretched out both of her arms, and the Force around her screamed. Every beast around her, those on top of Rann included, were sent flying away until their bodies hit the walls. Bones crunched on impact, but Valery maintained her grip, and lifted them off the ground, before slamming them back down against the floor.

"Rann?!" She called out. "You okay?!"

The world was nothing but searing hot flashes of pain across his body as Rann was attacked by the dogs seeking their meal. Teeth found their marks on his sides, legs, and left organic arm. He thought of nothing but continuing to kick and protect his face and neck until the attack suddenly stopped after a ground shaking command of the Force rippled outward from Master Noble.

He continued to protect his head, unsure of what was happening with his eyes squeezed tightly shut, until he heard her voice asking if he was okay.

He let out a breath he didn’t realize he had been holding between screams of pain, and opened his eyes. The beasts attacking him were gone, a crumpled mess against the tunnel wall. So, too, were the rest as he turned his gaze to observe his surroundings.

Quickly he touched his side where the most damage was felt, and winced. No significant flesh was torn, thankfully. He’d live, but he was bloodied. With a second shakey breath he rolled over and grabbed his lightsabers, then rose to his feet. He went to speak, but found no words instead meeting Master Nobles gaze and nodding,

“That’s… that’s never happened before.” He said, after a long moment of contemplation. “I’ve never felt the Force just…fail me. Not like that.”

It had felt as if the Force in this area was…almost in a different language. One Rann was unable to speak.

“I…I need to test something.” He said, mostly to himself, as he looked down at one of his lightsabers. He held his palm out and focused on the lightsaber, summoning the Force around it to rise. And sure enough, the Force responded as strong as it ever was.

So it’s not me. he thought, dropping the lightsaber back against his palm. He looked down towards a small rock nearby, and reached out with great apprehension. As soon as he ‘connected’ with the rock the scream returned, and Rann quickly broke the connection, holding his head again.

It was as if the Dead were chastising Rann for disturbing their resting place. All that was here was beyond his grasp. All his strength, his mastery of telekinetics, was lost to him here. And that was cause for no small concern.

He turned his head to look at Master Noble, and recalled her using the Force on the Beasts themselves. Very clearly, he recalled, she had not touched the rubble. And he wondered if she would have been similarly afflicted, or if it was some phenomenon unique to him. as if continuing the train of thought as words, he spoke.

“I wouldn’t touch stuff here through the Force.” He said, gesturing around. “I’m not sure…what the distinction is. If it’s just me or…anyone that’d come here. Rocks or what. That. That sucked.” He said, rubbing his forehead with his robotic hand. Thinking very little of the physical damage he had endured.

The beasts that attacked them either all lay dead against the floor or run off, returning the tunnel to quiet and dark save the hum and glow of Master Noble’s blade.
Again, Rann ignited his own blade for comfort and light, and pointed it down towards the way they were facing. “We have to be close. And…I’d really like to get out of this tunnel as soon as we can.”

He began walking, slowly at first to regain his footing and then more briskly as confidence returned in some small fashion and the drive to see daylight grew in his mind.

Anubys
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsabers

"Test something?" Valery asked incredulously, "You need medical attention and fast." There was no way of knowing just how bad the injury really was from quick observation, and those beasts' claws could be infected too. But as Rann reached out with the Force once more to perform this test, Valery paused for a moment. Perhaps it had been useful for him to try this, seeing how much of a difference it made between the two focus points.

There was something amiss about this place.

"Maybe death," Valery theorized when he mentioned a distinction. "The Force imprints itself on all things, and some of us are sensitive to it. We can pick up traces of the past, both good and bad," Valery explained while she looked around like she was trying to figure out some kind of puzzle. "Darker echoes can cause trouble if we try to connect with them. Death is one of those darker imprints that can drive you mad if you were to tap into it."

Valery shook her head a little and turned back to him with a soft smile, "Let's not touch anything and get out of here. You need to get those wounds looked at before they get infected." She held up her blade and kept her eyes on him while they walked. Just to make sure he could actually stand on his feet and walk.

Too many people were too proud to admit it when they needed help.

Valery was often one of those people.

“Never too old to learn,” he said with a chuckle. Then he winced and held his side tighter.

“And yeah, some attention sounds good.” He said with a nod as he continued to move forward.

They continued down the tunnel, stopping a time or two to allow for Rann to catch his breath, and came upon another station.

This one was similarly filled with skeletons collapsed upon eachother as if their light switch was suddenly flicked to off, and Rann was again beset by the memories of the dead begging him for their lives as if they were still living. Rann tried his best to block them out, instead focusing on the pain spreading out from his side, distracting himself from their cries as him and Master Noble climbed the stairs into the grey light of the surface.

The area around them was just as desolate as the one they had left about half an hour ago. Buildings in ruin, craters pockmarking the ground, but this area showed some signs of greenery.

Plant life had begun to reclaim this area, nature undisturbed by civilization had returned to establish this part of the city as theirs.

“Huh.” Rann said almost instinctively, taking in the sight.

“It’s hauntingly beautiful,” he continued, stumbling slightly and moving towards a nearby building where he almost immediately turned and sat down against the wall, breathing heavily. The pain had, strangely enough, almost completely gone away. A sharp stinging replaced with a dull ache that faded more and more with each heart beat. He pulled his hand away from his side to observe his condition and saw that it was almost completely reddened.

In the dim light of Val’s saber it was unclear how much he had been bleeding, but now that they were in the light Rann could see clearly his side was drenched in blood, shocking and concerning him. He looked up to her, his eyes widened, and felt his heart beating faster.
“Uh…” was all he could manage. His mind began racing as panic started to take hold. The quiet voice in his head began to tell him that death was certain and he tried very hard to fight off those thoughts, to keep fighting regardless, to refuse to die here. One more number among millions to call this planet their grave.

“H-help me.” He moaned out as he slid down to the ground, finally quieted.

Anubys
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsabers

What they found at the second station hardly seemed to phase Valery. She was able to block out these things from creeping up on her mind, but it also helped that she had something more important to focus on. Rann's injuries were not to be taken lightly, both for fear of infection and blood loss. In the dark, he could not see just how bad it was, but Valery's Keshian eyes struggled with that far less.

He needed to keep going.

After climbing up the staircase, Valery squinted and took a moment for her eyes to adjust before she looked around. It was as desolate as the rest of this world, but nature was reclaiming what was once taken from it. Despite the death and decay they saw down below, it felt almost peaceful to see all of this.

"It is, though I'm not sure what horrors happened here as well." She turned around to offer him a gentle smile, but found herself freezing up instead. For just a moment, as she saw the shock in his eyes and noticed the red stains in his clothes. The wound was worse than even Valery had thought it to be.

"Rann!" She rushed forward to close the distance and dropped down to her knees by his side. She had no medical kit on her, and nothing to clean the wound, but none of that would matter if he just bled out. Reaching for his clothes, Valery tore aware excess fabric and removed her own belt from her waist. For now, she could hopefully stop the bleeding with some makeshift bandages and pressure, but he needed better care.

"Come on, big guy," Valery groaned, as she lifted him up in a fireman's carry and started moving again. It was not easy to carry a person with how much their weight shifted around, but the grip she had and the Force fueling her strength allowed her to carry him across the planet if she needed to.

Or, perhaps, that was just her stubbornness.

Elsewhere…

Rann awoke with a start, blinking immediately as his eyes were met with a blaring sun and blue skies. A starker contrast to what he knew on Anubys he had never known. It was immediately a grave cause for concern, and he sat up on his hand to observe his surroundings.

Rolling grasslands, trees, a stream rushing nearby… paradise.

He didn’t deserve it. He didn’t want it. Not…not yet.

“Am… am I dead?” He asked out loud, expecting no answer.

“Do you feel dead?” Came a response that caused him to jump. A deep, metallic voice from behind him. He turned to see a black clad character with a red and gold mask…his Mask.

“You…”

“If anyone’s anyone, you’re me.” The figure said, pulling his mask off and revealing Rann’s own face beneath it. Paler…rougher… with two yellow-red eyes. “Answer me. Do you feel dead?”

The setting around them turned to ash as invisible fire burned the paradise away to a hellscape. The Netherworld Rann was familiar with…and one he had expected.

He rose to his feet, breathing heavily, his mind racing as he struggled to remember what happened.

All he knew…was he was on a dead world. And a Jedi had come to save him.

She must have failed, he thought.

“I…I don’t know.” He answered truthfully, a pain in his side beginning to throb.

“Figure it out.” He said.

Anubys…

The streets surrounding Rann and Val told a depressingly similar story to what they had been seeing. War and death claimed this planet, but Nature was fighting back, starting anew. And closer they got to the central government buildings the more evident Nature reclaiming the world became. As if the areas around here were under protection. The government sector benefitted from the prioritized protection of the city’s anti-air defense systems, surely.

A protection that may disappear…should Rann and Val succeed.

As Val continued to carry Rann, evidence of movement, of activity would become more apparent. The world around them appeared almost cared for, as someone or something was up keeping the ruins and street. Rubble was neatly piled, remains were respectfully buried under small makeshift headstones.

Something here still cared. And that something knew Val and Rann were approaching.

“Who are you?” A metallic voice called out from a nearby speaker. One they would recognize as the voice that had given a patriotic speech earlier. As it spoke, the sounds of metaled legs clanked down the remains of the cobbled streets. A small group of droids, none of them armed save for some cleaning supplies or labor equipment as they approached the couple. As they approached, the same voice emanated from one of them.

“Who are you?” It repeated. “Reinforcements from the enemy, no doubt?” The droids around them shifted, almost nervously as the voice continued,

“I am Aken.” The voice, Aken, said, “I am the Commanding Officer charged Duat’s ongoing victory in this damned war. And under the authority given me by the Assembly of Duat, I am placing you under arrest.” A couple droids moved forward, trying to flank Val and the unconscious Rann, “Do not resist, and I will see your compatriot gets the medical attention he requires.”

Elsewhere…

Rann wandered around, exploring the hellscape that surrounded him. And the figure followed, ornate robes flowing around him as if constantly blown by a breeze, although Rann felt none.

“Well?” The man said.

“No, I’m not dead.” Rann answered after a contemplative silence, refusing to turn and look at the man.

“Good. You’ve done a bang up job of protecting us.”

“Me. Not us. Not ever again.”

The figure laughed, disapparating into a black inky mess as if the wind had melted an ice cube, and suddenly reappeared in front of Rann, getting a yelp of surprise from him.

“Always us. Nightmother magicks and ‘good intentions’ can never wash away what you are. You, me, together. Lord Qanah.” he said, pushing his face closer, a wide Cheshire smile creeping across his face, the stink of death on his breath.

Rann recoiled, over exaggeratedly wiping the smell away from his nose as he backed up a couple steps.

“Hygiene isn’t your strongest trait.” He said sarcastically, getting a laugh from himself.

“Humor isn’t the way to cope with what’s happening now, Rann.” He responded.

“Whatever.” Rann replied, pushing past himself.

“And what are you looking for?” The figure turned to follow again.

Rann stopped…his brow furrowed as he struggled to remember.

Anubys…

“Val…”

Anubys
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsabers

This place felt different.

Their current surroundings were a stark contrast to the battle-ruined city they had moved through earlier. From the way the dead had been taken care of, down to how relatively clean everything looked. Someone had been here recently, and she had a feeling that they still lingered in the area. Her senses picked up on nothing, but the Jedi Master knew that they weren't alone. Her eyes remained sharp, and soon enough, she heard avoice.

"Who are you?"

Valery paused and slowly turned her head to the source. Now it made sense — she hadn't felt a presence because they were droids. She saw no weapons on them, so perhaps they had been used for other purposes, but Valery didn't let her guard down. Not with a wounded Rann over her shoulder and all that weight pressing down on her.

She wasn't going to let him get hurt.

"My name is Valery Noble - I'm a Jedi Master," she said as she glanced between them all. "We're not from here and have nothing to do with your war." She looked at the commanding officer and narrowed her eyes. Rann was going to need medical attention, but she didn't want to have him go through that as a prisoner.

"We're not your enemy," Valery continued. "Could you please offer him medical assistance? There's no need to take us captive or to get hostile. We just want to go back home." She had heard Rann speak but didn't reply. Whatever was happening here required her focus.

Anubys…

“Jedi…” the voice repeated, as if in thought.

“I have no records that we applied for your order’s mediation in our war. We certainly will not now. Victory is in our grasp.”

Two droids carrying pickaxes dropped them suddenly, and snap turned towards a stone slab nearby. Bending at their knees on either side, they effortlessly picked up the slab and carried it back towards Val and Rann. The voice emanated from the lead droid again,

“I can not risk you running around Duat freely. The other citizens do not take kindly to…outsiders. Place your compatriot on this, and allow my droids to carry him. I wish to meet you, discuss your true purpose here.”

The other droids backed away, and as much as droids are able, seemed to relax.

“This war has drained our resources. What few military units I have remaining under my control are engaged or defending key positions. These labor droids do not typically fall under my authority, but they have their uses. Unfortunately, if you are who you say you are, those uses do not include Jedi Suppression. But if you wish to see your compatriot seen to, you must comply.”

The lead droid turned and gestured broadly to the city around them, “Master Jedi, Welcome to Duat. The Jewel of Anubys. Home to the Great Assembly, the Great Library, and the happiest population on the planet at a grand total of 2 known inhabitants.”

Elsewhere…

“A Jedi? Why? You expect a Jedi to save you?” Qanah asked with a scoff.

“Have you not been paying attention? She’s been doing an amazing job so far.” Rann said, remembering how Valery had cared for him…although the specifics were eluding him. He struggled to remember as he walked, continuing through the hellscape as it began to melt away again, replaced by a scene Rann remembered well.

Founder’s Day.

Ryloth.

The beginning of the AOC-CIS War.

The parade square was empty. The signs of the war were absent. It was just empty… but Rann was thankful.

“Why are we here?” He turned and asked the dark figure.
“You brought us here. You tell me.” Came the response.

“What do you mean?” Rann asked again, “You’re the driver, Rann, not Me. Hell I wouldn’t even be here talking to you if you weren’t where you are.” He said, this time pushing passed Rann towards a spot on the grounds. As he approached, debris from opposite him in an alleyway flew towards him as if propelled by an explosion and formed into a pile on the ground, complete with blood appearing on the ground next to it.

“This is where I was born, if you remember.” He said with a half smile, kneeling down next to the pile. Rann walked to join him, and looked down at the scene with a frown. A small shimmer of himself appeared, clutching his right arm where it had been blown off by a suicide bomber.

“I feel…stronger now.” Qanah had said, turning to look up at Rann before turning back to observe the shimmer on the ground. “Where you are. Where we are…so much death. It reminds me of this moment. It reminds you, too, I think. Just keep remembering.”

Rann looked down at him, puzzled, “Why do you want me to remember so much? It’s like you’re trying to help me. You just said you’re stronger here. Why aren’t you attacking me?”

“I could if you want.”

“Really, I’d rather you didn’t.”

He laughed and stood, facing Rann, “Well, if you die I die for one. We don’t want that.”

“That’s actually okay.”

“Hah. No it isn’t. Stop being macho. You’re scared of death. Petrified.” as he spoke, the moans of the dead began to ring as apparitions began to rise across the planet. Wailing in pain as their rest was disturbed by Darth Metus’ magicks. Rann immediately began breathing heavily, fear taking over his face as he clasped his hands over his ears.

The dead voices were joined by new ones, denizens of the planet he currently walked. Outsider. Interloper. Intruder.

The Moans became louder and louder until Rann was kneeling, his eyes squeezed shut, screaming for the cacophony to cease….and it did.

When he opened his eyes again, the scenery had changed. Now, it was an expansive black void, bridges made of light connecting nothingness to nothingness filled the area.

“Where are we…?” Rann asked, as he slowly stood.

“The world between worlds.”

Anubys
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsabers

Valery didn't entirely trust them.

If Rann hadn't been injured, she wouldn't have felt on edge, but leaving a wounded friend or ally in the hands of people she barely knew... that was no easy decision. She eyed the stone slab, then looked back up at the droids and their leader. If she told them no, they'd likely get hostile. Fighting with Rann on her shoulder was out of the question, and he probably didn't have much time either. He needed medical help.

So, with a reluctant sigh, she gently placed him down atop the slab and nodded.

"Alright, show us the way and I'll discuss it with you. Just please, give me your word that you'll do what you can to patch him up." She looked at Rann and frowned just a little. If they gave her any impression that they'd compromise his well-being, she'd pick him back up and fight her way out of here.

These situations made her truly unstoppable.

Looking around as the city was introduced, Valery just sighed again, "Wonderful. Now, can we please have our discussion? I'd like to leave this planet as soon as I can. With my friend in good condition." Right now, she could only wonder what was going on inside his mind.

How aware he was of what was happening.

Anubys…

The droid looked at Valery as if studying her. Staring Quizzically.

“I see you are not too interested in the tour. That is acceptable. Please, follow. And do not stray.” The droid turned, and the entire group followed, walking in unison towards a towering government building In the distance.

Then closer the group would get to the building, the more it would become apparent how cared for the city was. Buildings of rubble were being cleared away as more and more droids worked to repair the damage the constant war inflicted, and more and more greenery continued to fight its way through the concrete and steel. Small groups of wildlife would wander through the area, unbothered by the droids working nearby, but staring at Val and Rann as they approached, skittering off if the group got too close to a same distance before turning and observing again.

“As I stated, the locals do not care for outsiders. Do not be offended, they have not seen anyone new in quite some time. They are unsure what to make of you.” The droid said, turning its head to follow the creatures as they approached a set of stairs leading to the building.

“In here,” it said, pointing towards the building, “is where I live. It is also where our medical facilities reside, and this building boasts the strongest defensive capabilities of the Duat. I have received news that the enemy is preparing to launch a new offensive soon. No doubt an air strike to soften up our resolve. So there is no place better to be than here.” It said as the droids began carrying Rann up the stairs, and he turned to look at Valery.

“We will see to your comrades injuries, do not worry. At the very least, we treat prisoners with dignity and care. And you are not my prisoners…yet.” It turned and began walking up the steps, “you may see where they are taking your friend if you wish. If it would put your mind at ease. But I do prefer you come to see me. Whichever you decide,” it turned around once it reached the top of the stairs. “You will be under guard. Please, do not make me regret giving you this freedom.” As it finished speaking, the droid slouched for a moment before standing back straight up and walking back down the stairs, moving to join other droids as they continued their restoration of the city.

elsewhere…

“I don’t know what that is.” Rann said, standing and observing his surroundings, leaning over the edge of the bridge he was on staring down into the abyss below.

“That doesn’t surprise me.” Qanah said with a chuckle, turning away from Rann with his arms crossed. “You could say this is…a crossroads. You aren’t dead. But…you could be.” He pointed towards a wall of white fog, “that way lies what comes next. Whatever afterlife awaits us both.” He turned back towards Rann and pointed passed him, “that way lies what is. Life and death.”

Rann turned to see behind him. The fog wall was there…but black. A distant sound of lighting and explosions.

“The choice…for me anyway…is easy. If you die, I die. An-“ he stopped suddenly, as Rann turned back around and began walking towards the wall of light.

“Wait. WAIT.” Qanah said, placing a hand on Rann’s chest as he approached.

“It’s my choice?”

“Yes.”

“Then stand aside.”

“No.”

“Then it isn’t my choice.”

“Think about it.”

“I’ve thought about it.”

“No, you haven’t.”

Qanah pushed Rann back and drew his lightsaber, igniting the red blade, and Rann followed suit.

“Think. THINK!” Qanah said as he approached Rann, and they began exchanging strikes against each other.

“Rann no one knows you like I do. Death is not rest. Not for us. Not for either of us. And Master Noble? She’s risking her life to save you.”

They broke apart and Rann thought for a moment. “Being rid of you. Ridding you from the Galaxy is worth it.” He said, finally.

“And Aron? Bella?”

Rann paused. Sighing heavily. He turned towards the black and pointed his lightsaber that way.

“If I went through there, that means you’re coming too.”

“Naturally.”

“That means people will always be in danger.”

“People are always in danger.”

“Okay, but I don’t want that to be from you.”

Qanah sighed, and deactivated his lightsaber.

“Rann, I don’t want to fight. I don’t want to die. You don’t either.”

He walked towards Rann, his hands raised,

“Please. Think about it. We have time.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom