Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Value of a Credit [SWRP: Chaos Edition]

What do you feel is the general purchasing power of the Galactic Standard Credit?

• Total voters
@[member="Torjesgo"] You're also looking at this wholly from the governments perspective on this matter. I'm wholly looking at this from my perspective on this issue, which is a company(an arms one at that that produces other military equipment.) I did the numbers on what those companies do in the US alone, and I know the auction thread started this thread at hand.

That said, if I scaled my numbers to where @[member="Ashin Varanin"] and I discussed they could feasibly go. Well I could buy everything in there and be sitting pretty.

Gilamar Skirata

The most important step is always the next one
Darron Wraith said:
@[member="RodianHero"] Government expansion means new markets for companies to sell to while said governments tax them. In turn the planet gets a whole galactic power to trade with, thus sending wealth to them in turn.
Though true, I don't think that 50 years would be enough to recover the galactic value everywhere.

@[member="RodianHero"] if you go look at the map, factions cover more territory now than what the Empire did 800 years in the past. While the same amount of money may not be in each governments coffers, the worth of the credit is either on the rise or rock solid at this point.

*did not read other posts, just stating IMO* I think that the currency has gone slightly up. It have been a good sum of time since the Virus and since there are alot of major factions that have control over a large area, The economy had rebounded from when the virus took place so I wont say that it costs alot more but it is significantly higher.

The debate of "lifestyles" as work is a whole new issue. You can just look at real world examples: The more technology we've gotten the less this has happened. Technology makes it too easy for people to access information on all this, read about different ideas, etc. That viewpoint is not the same as it was onethousand years ago and Star Wars is hundreds of years ahead of us in technology levels.

I can only imagine the scale of political parties in the SW universe, unions, all that fun labor-company based relations that exist.
It's fun enough on a local scale, I don't want to think about how much drama there is in a GALACTIC scale.

@[member="Torjesgo"] Just think of those numbers, especially if you got tax breaks from the local governments, incentives for them to not throw tariffs on your goods, as well as exclusivity clauses in your contracts with them?

Oh wait, I RPed that out. :)

Lex-El

An Honest Man
@[member="Fabula Cavataio"] Depends on the size and scale of it, there's a reason there is a rationale field in the company template. Don't be so snarky over the entrepreneurs of the board though, we can't all be amazing warriors.

While one can endlessly speculate I find it much easier to use around the same values as canon so you have an idea what something costs. Comparing it to our money is hard, so I generally have one credit worth $10.

Thus in an RP where people are throwing around ludicrous sums of 30 billion...well...they don't know what money is worth.

Lex-El

An Honest Man
@[member="Tegaea Alcori"] I think with some it's not the worth of the dollar, it's just the sheer scale to which our characters can spend. Few characters are "poor," and we assume that most of our characters are the upper class or "galactic powers" that be. So with that in mind, if we are truly the difference makers, the movers and shakers of the galaxy we will throw money around.

Yeah, but if Jabba the Hutt, one of the more notorious crime lords and wielder of vast sums of wealth, scoffs at the idea of putting more than 50,000 credits down for a bounty on his mortal enemy? At that point, you have to start questioning when things start going over 200k credits for something. Just because you have money doesn't mean you're going to throw it around.

In fact, if you look at some of the richest people in the world, they're rich because they make money but don't throw it around; they save most of it. See: Warren Buffet.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
There are several major factions and tons of other ones sprouting up here and there across the galaxy at a steady pace. Naturally, nationalism kicks in and they either mint their own currency as an option alongside the GSC (bringing its value down) or begin to dominate an economy of a large section of space, making everything in one region of the galaxy considerably more (or possibly even less) costly then everything around it, thus depreciating the value of the GSC allbeit - more slowly - because things are too expensive there to be of substantial value.

Actually, the way I see it (realistically, anyway) is that the more governments there exist, especially in terms of major factions, the more division there will be and ultimately the less value a "standard" unit would have against a very non-standard and constantly contrasting group of economies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom