Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Lore The Tephriki Liberation Strategic Leasing Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
8AZsWUfn_o.jpg
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
GENERAL INFORMATION
  • Media Name: The Tephriki Liberation Strategic Leasing Plan
    • Designated 'Project Manticore' in Globex's internal memos.
  • Format: Treaty; the Parties are the Globex Corporation and the Republican Guard.
  • Distribution: Rare; neither secret nor widely-distributed. Most people do not read treaties for fun.
  • Length: Short, at least by treaty standards; several key points of contention are left purposefully ambiguous.
  • Description: The Leasing Plan is a piece of profit-focused realpolitik masquerading as idealistic charity - the Globex Corporation leases and sells vast quantities of military hardware in exchange for securities in mining rights and a hefty interest rate. The Republican Guard, on the other hand, receives much-needed equipment in exchange for resources it either does not control or is incapable of utilising in the present.
SOCIAL INFORMATION
  • Author: Various revolutionaries and corporate diplomats.
  • Publisher: The Office of the Core Worlds Investment Manager
  • Reception: The agreement is largely seen as 'perfectly adequate' among Globex executives; the potential for financial gain and a significant local foothold is appealing, but the risk of a devalued investment or unduly heightened military expenditure should the Republican Guard lose the civil war stems enthusiasm. On the Republican Guard's side, the common soldiery are happy to receive more and better equipment, but more hardline idealists consider 'the pawning off of Tephriki soil' fundamentally repugnant. The Republican Guard's foes naturally react with outright hostility. Offworlders tend to be unconcerned with the goings-on of a backwater marred by civil war.
FORMAT INFORMATION
The Leasing Plan is made up of a non-binding preamble and twenty-nine legally binding articles. In form, it is a bizarre fusion of corporate contract and intergovernmental treaty which borrows somewhat more heavily from the latter. At 'a mere fifteen thousand words', it is shorter than one would expect given the significant material assets involved - this is largely due to strategic ambiguity on the part of the Sovereign Parties.

While neither party is liable to admit this, the Republican Guard's humanitarian obligations are purposefully all-but-unenforceable.

CONTENT INFORMATION
"The Sovereign Parties to the present Covenant, with due consideration to the principles that govern interstellar affairs and the fundamental rights of all sentients, acknowledge the unfortunate necessity of force of arms when peaceful means come short. The Sovereign Parties, having monitored the situation on the world of Tephrike, have found the current situation untenable. In resolute compliance with all lawful obligations, the Sovereign Parties commit to implementing all necessary measures to ensure a transition towards stable democratic governance able and willing to respect, protect, and fulfil the fundamental rights of all the peoples of Tephrike."

- Preamble to the Tephriki Liberation Strategic Leasing Plan; not legally binding.

"The Sovereign Parties proclaim that legitimate government can only arise from the will of the governed; as the only credible outlet of the will of the people, the Republican Guard is to be considered the lawful government of Tephrike, with all the rights and obligations that entails..."
- Justification for the sale of heavy munitions to a Party involved in a civil war.

"... to safeguard its considerable contributions to the liberation of Tephrike, the Globex Corporation is entitled to securities matching its expenditure plus interest, to be granted in mining rights on the planet and nearby asteroid belts. These securities can be invoked unilaterally should ..."

"The Globex Corporation pledges to respect and protect the dignity and well-being of any and all labourers assigned to its in-system operations."

"... the sovereign government of Tephrike as represented by the Republican Guard is obligated to permit the Globex Corporation to undertake all reasonable measures to protect its own personnel and lawful operations, including but not limited to targetted orbital bombardment and ... Forces acting under the flag of the illegitimate states known as 'the Greater Sith Imperium' and 'the Dominion of Light' are afforded no such protections."

"... the Republican Guard pledges to respect the rules of war, in particular as pertains to operations utilising armaments leased or purchased from the Globex Corporation and its subsidiaries. The Council of National Salvation shall have the principal responsibility to ensure compliance from their subordinates; in extreme cases, a Joint Oversight Committee may be appointed in cooperation with the Globex Corporation, see Article 27."

HISTORICAL INFORMATION
Much of the Leasing Plan's background is confidential but it is believed to have originated from the shadowy efforts of the 'the soulless vultures' Globex's investment division calls 'Opportunity Assessors'. Whether they only ever considered investing in the Republican Guard's 'war of freedom' or evaluated its Windian and Vaderite rivals as well is somewhat unclear, but at the end of the day 'the cause of freedom' was deemed profitable.

The negotiations that followed were tense, secretive, and legally dubious - despite what the Leasing Plan states, it is not at all 'self-evident' that the Republican Guard is the legitimate government of Tephrike, or even that it represents the will of the people. Despite this, Globex has been unwilling to wholly refute the possibility of direct military intervention should the Republican Guard be defeated and the victor refuse to honour the securities.

If nothing else, it seems likely that the corporation will harvest the mineral wealth found in the local asteroid fields irrespective of who emerges the victor of Tephrike's brutal civil war - after all, none of the planet's factions currently have the naval capabilities required to stop them. That said, the situation might rapidly become untenable should local naval forces belonging to Firemane or Archangel choose to contest Globex's claims.

Unlike the former in particular, Globex is largely unprepared for open warfare against a modern military.

Last edited:
Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
AMCO AMCO

I like what I see! I haven't seen too many proper written treatises or the like so I'm glad to see something new. There is just one issue but I'm sure it's one that you can get solved quickly and easily, that of permissions.

I see the permission for the feedback but I will need to see some permissions for the Republican Guard, Disciples of Vader, and the Dominion of Light given their inclusion. Like I said, just a quick little permission for those and it looks like you'll be good to go!

Darth Strosius Darth Strosius

The permission has been replaced with a formalised statement covering all potential references.

For future reference, is explicit permission required to reference (as opposed to altering them in some way or making presumptions about their inner workings and decision-making) Codex submissions such as governments? If so, I was not aware of this.

Last edited:
Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
AMCO AMCO

It varies depending on the circumstances! Just mentions or references don't really need permission, but given that the groups that I mentioned were kind of affiliated with the sub itself it kind of falls into the permission need zone. One of those technicalities you know!

APPROVED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom