Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faction The Precipice [NJO]

A DARK SHADOW NEEDS LIGHT
CORUSCANT | JEDI TEMPLE (UNDER CONSTRUCTION) | LIBRARY IG
Kai Bamarri Kai Bamarri
BUT LIGHT DOESN'T NEED DARKNESS TO BE LUMINOUS
binal-scratchmore.png

While the invitation was open to many, there was absolutely no way Ishida was involving herself in a gathering of Jedi that involved discussion. Tython was the home of her master, and she wouldn't want to tarnish her experience of the ancient planet with chin-wagging and decisions-by-committee.

She'd lingered quietly for the last few back and forths, anxious scribbling, strange dances, consolidation of points, semantics. It wasn't hesitation, that held her back. Moreso patience, which she'd been working on. Waiting for the right ti—— there it was.

The disconnection, to where anyone was witness to their interaction, was less than fortuitous for the Sithspawn.

Just as she was about to step forward, it flickered back on.

Grumpily, the depth of her frown almost touched her chin. But, remaining off-screen, Ishida sent a precise telekinetic boop that depressed the connection from Coruscant's side. Just a big 'ol button that said ON/OFF. If it turned on again, she'd simply turn off the power altogether. It risked more emergencies but with all the Jedi collected on Tython, why would Coruscant have to bellow out an emergency broadcast?

Actually, that was a good point. She unplugged the whole thing.

Dissolved into the void, the collection of blue silhouettes that had been looking at Kai and his scribbles disappeared. Leaving the Sithspawn and the Atrisian alone in the library. The Sithspawn with the audacity to vocalize their opinion on jedi affairs.

"Tython too holy a planet for you to appear in person?" She asked, stepping forward enough to tap on the border of the pad Kai was writing on and inserting herself in front of the machine that would capture his image.

5WwvUTC.png
Valery: Appearance
Outfit: Factory Link
Lightsabers: Link!
Ship: Factory link
Tag: Everybody lol
Valery had been quietly observing up until now, gauging the various stances of her fellow Jedi in the process. Much had changed since the days of the Old Republic, but some things remained similar as well. The endless debate about Jedi philosophy, the relationship with the Republic, or in this case, the Alliance.
It was only when the idea about checks and balances came up that she decided to weigh in a little. Looking between Aeris and Dagon, Valery pushed herself off of the wall she was leaning against and nodded.
"There is more to Jedi philosophy than the Code — it captures the broad fundamentals of the Jedi but there are philosophies that offer additional insight," she said. "Perhaps I'm too traditional or old..." she looked at Dagon for a moment, somewhat in jest, "But since I've stepped out of stasis, the Code has been the only guide for Jedi I've heard being referenced."
"I was raised and trained under the Code, but it was reinforced with the Conquers & Honors, which captures much more behavioral aspects of our life. Some of it might have changed over time, but much of it is very relevant even today. And I've seen plenty of Jedi struggle with them. Together with the Three Pillars and Master Shim's thesis about the 4 stages of the Dark Side, it's not that hard to understand what our place is, and how we should act."
"Both as Jedi broadly, but also specifically within the law of the Alliance, and even outside the Alliance."
"Perhaps these views are outdated to some, but I believe it's worth looking at more seriously."
5WwvUTC.png

"I'm sorry to dredge this back up, but, what prevents a Jedi from apprehending the criminals they pursue without killing them? Certainly skill, certainly some circumstantial factors like overwhelming numbers and outright aggression, however, a Jedi's goal isn't to strike to kill. Recall the basics of Shii-Cho. We are taught a manoeuvre to disarm in that form for a reason.

"Of course, we can make up hypothetical scenarios in which we might need to kill, but I think it's a lesson that cannot be repeated often enough," he said, looking pointedly at the trio of Dagon and the two Padawan.

"I find the sentiment that Jedi would know better than," he made air quotes, "'ordinary beings' troubling. We are more powerful, an advantage inherent due to our use of the Force, but power as a justification for action is a conclusion rooted firmly in the Dark Side.

"As Knight Lashiec said, it's important to ensure we create a mutually beneficial coexistence with the Alliance from this point forward. I agree also with Master Noble's points, perhaps a more thorough investigation of the Jedi Order's philosophy and tenants might be beneficial for us all? The better we know our own tradition, the better we can adapt it to suit our modern Order, and, hopefully, prevent more disaster from befalling our number."

Dagon Kaze Dagon Kaze Aeric Kaze Aeric Kaze Jem Fossk Jem Fossk Kyric Kyric Soren Dar Zaka Zaka Kai Bamarri Kai Bamarri Valery Noble Valery Noble @anyone I missed

Kyric yawned as the discussion shifted from what was reality to tradition. He pulled his holodevice back on and unlocked it via the retinal scan.

"I'm all for the don't kill, rule. That's one I'm trying to adhere to personally, but you guys live in the same galaxy I do. Go ahead and point out one of the powerful Sith Lords from the last twenty years that you could've persuaded not to be a Grade-A nerf herder."

He flicked up on the screen, cracking a smile at whatever caught his attention.

"In the event of dealing with the everyday street crook, I think you're right Bernie. A bit of skill and some good ol' wit goes a long way in keeping folks from, y'know, that permanent solution. But that's the point of the checks and balances I suggested. There are gonna be scenarios where even your normal group of people are gonna be able to put someone like you guys in danger. I'd rather a bunch of murderers and drug peddlers not walk out of there than someone who wants to do right by their neighbors. You get a group of folks together who can ascertain the circumstances? The sphere- er, circle, maybe, and you got a good deal."

Kyric shrugged again. "I dunno, we can talk hypotheticals, ideal circumstances, and traditions all we want. It won't get us anywhere. We need the people who want to keep the balance between us and a government, to do it, while the rest try to avoid being the problem."

He nodded to Aeris. "Le check, le balance."

Last edited:
The holographic view of the meeting abruptly vanished. His brow furrowing, Kai fiddled with the library’s public access holocam system. Something caused it to turn back on again, briefly, before it once again winked out. Typical library tech failure. Before he could summon a librarian for help, Kai’s gaze drifted to the on/off switch, his confusion growing. How did it—

"Tython too holy a planet for you to appear in person?"

His eyes widening, he clutched the writing board he had been using as if it were a shield across his chest. Perhaps after all this time, he should have been a little less afraid of the white-haired girl. But hey—if you encountered someone who had nearly decapitated you again, you’d probably react badly too.

Several factors in this situation were in his favor. He was in the library of the Jedi Temple, in broad daylight, with other people within screaming distance.

Never mind that he couldn’t scream.

He stared at her. Between his altered appearance and the ring he wore on his right hand, how was she even able to recognize him?

It must’ve been the eyes, he decided. They were still Kaze blue, with raven black lashes and brows in sharp contrast to the shock of white hair on his head.

Those eyes narrowed at her now.

<What do you want?>

Kai Bamarri Kai Bamarri
binal-scratchmore.png

She hated Dagon Kaze Dagon Kaze a little less now, but the fact that there was still a Sithspawn, roaming around in Jedi affairs thanks to him, was confounding. If not frustrating.

What was more frustrating, was that this Sithspawn sounded, and behaved, more like a Jedi than the Ashina.

It would be a lie to deny she felt a trill of pride at his flinching, startled reaction and knee-jerk necessity to protect himself.

<What do you want?>

"I want to know why you couldn't respond to the invitation in person."

His voice brushing against her mind was chilling. She shivered involuntarily, and folded her arms to conceal the discomfort.

"Is it?" She insisted again, genuinely curious. "You're acting like a Jedi, living amidst the Jedi, fighting alongside The Jedi, what happens when you're exposed to the birthplace of Ashla?"

Her deadpan appraisal of the youth never waivered.

"I heard about what you did on Jedha. Going after Solipsis.

How did you survive? Mutual sith appreciation?"

Last edited:

<I'm not on Tython with them right now because it's a stupid idea,> he replied, doing his best to put on a brave face. But his head was angled downward, as though to protect his vulnerable throat by blocking it with his chin. <After the attack on the Jedi Temple, they're practically painting a target on their backs by congregating in any one place, Force nexus or not.>

He hadn't even really considered whether going to Tython would be impossible for him, a Sithspawn, to tolerate.

As for her question about Solipsis, that was more complicated to answer. Against all odds, the doppelganger had survived a brief encounter with the Sith'ari on Jedha. He hadn't told anyone about it yet, but that didn't mean there hadn't been witnesses. Even now, the whole thing felt almost like a dream to him. The bizarre duel had ended, leaving Kai with a new scar on the inside, a lingering foul taste, and a story he was pretty sure nobody would believe.

They had fought amid the rubble and ruins, Kai unaware of who he was really dealing with. After the boy failed to die from the crushing telekinetic force applied to his head, Solipsis had seemed to regard him with something other than disinterested annoyance. He had torn into Kai's mind—and Kai had bitten him back.

But then, something else had happened.

<Solipsis was distracted by someone he called "daughter". He left me alive because he was in such a rush to reach her.>

Whoever she was, Kai owed her his life.

Last edited:
The Padawan began to act dismissive towards the rest of the company present, as though he didn't take anyone but himself seriously, which drew a frown from Bernard. That manner of smug superiority didn't sit well with the Knight. He drew in a breath, nearly turned it into words of reprimand, but stopped himself. Giving in to such emotion would be pure indulgence, and contrary to not just the Code, but also the duty of a Jedi, which was to teach and to uplift, not tear down.

Still, the points the Padawan made nagged at him. Were that it could be that simple, that a few good beings could maintain the Order's integrity for all of the rest, but the reality held something quite different. It took only one Jedi acting out of line, especially when all others did only good, to cast suspicion and doubt upon the entire Order. How could the Circle ever ensure that none of their peers fell to the Dark Side, or committed atrocious acts rooted in it? More importantly, how could he feel less like a hypocrite talking to these Jedi of duty, the Code, and the virtues a Jedi is supposed to uphold, when he had carried out one of the most infamous atrocities of the Sith War?

Bernard closed his eyes to think. His brows scrunched, and the right side of his mouth twisted slightly as his lips drew to a silent line.

"The Circle cannot micro-manage every individual, and it shouldn't. While it bears the responsibility of accountability for the Order, it's also not a scapegoat for individual failings. If a Jedi acts out of line, commits an atrocity, or otherwise compromises a Jedi's duty or the Code, they are just as responsible as those who work towards keeping the Order together.

"What I mean is, the responsibility to help the people of the Alliance, to do our duty for the galaxy, falls on every single Jedi equally. We have a set of guiding principles: the Jedi Code, a commitment to pursuing non-violent solutions, a duty to serve and protect, and the responsibility to bear the power the Force has given us. If we fail to uphold any of these we fail in upholding that responsibility, and we should have the integrity to be conscious of our own failings, as well as the grace to admit to them and work to better ourselves for the sake of not just the Order, but every being in the Galaxy.

"The Circle will continue working to maintain the balance, it will continue to pursue a path of co-existence with the Alliance, but the Circle alone cannot maintain the balance on its own. The responsibility to uphold that falls to each one of you as well. While tradition isn't something I like to tie myself to, and I wouldn't expect anyone else to do so either, I think it's critical to at least pursue some way to integrate the spirit of old traditions in a form that will serve us in the present day. Any being who neglects history is doomed to repeat it, and we would be wise to learn from our, and the Order's, past mistakes so we may overcome them.

"That's why I would propose this system of checks and balances would perhaps best serve the Order if it was applied equally on an individual basis, rather than casting all responsibility for maintaining balance on just a few. I'm not certain how to implement the particulars, but that's why we're gathered here, to discuss and think of a way to make another Coruscant, or another Jedi falling to the Dark Side, much less likely to happen again."

It hurt to speak in chances, rather than guarantees, but Bernard wasn't blind to the reality that there could never exist a system in which no Jedi ever fell, or no Jedi ever acted out of line with the Code. Such dreams seemed, to him, to be ideals to pursue, rather than those that could be actualized.

Aeris Lashiec Aeris Lashiec Dagon Kaze Dagon Kaze Zaka Zaka Kyric Kyric Valery Noble Valery Noble Soren Dar Kai Bamarri Kai Bamarri (?) Ishida Ashina Ishida Ashina (?) Jem Fossk Jem Fossk

Logo.png

Attire:
Standard
Tags: Everyone

Traden continued to listen to his fellow Jedi as they debated back and forth… and in some cases, acted rather peculiar. He closed his eyes and shook his head. It was never easy.

"The circle should focus on maintaining the spirit of the code and all Jedi should be subject to the circle in this regard. If a Jedi breaks the code, they should be brought before the circle. Of coarse. But the circle is overreaching as it has attempted to go beyond this boundary by calling all Jedi to choose between the New Jedi Order or their roles within the Alliance…"

Traden sighed, shaking his head,

"Honestly, I feel like a broken record. The Circle should uphold the values of the Jedi, not the laws or the politics of other bodies. It is not the Circles responsibility to tell Jedi what their function is, but merely what the Jedi standard must be. So despite some members attempted assurance that no-one is telling the Jedi to pull away from their roles within the Alliance, their assurance is voided by the comments of others that have obviously voiced that this is, in fact, the case. Not to mention the very statement that the circle presented to the Senate…. So please stop patronizing those of us who have valid concerns on this point."

"If I am a soldier in the alliance, then I fall under the laws of the alliance. And if there ever arises a court Marshall due to my actions within the Alliance, then so be it… it is of no concern to the circle unless I have, in fact, broken the Jedi code or failed in my moral calling as a Jedi. The New Jedi Order must concern itself with the morals, not the laws. And if any of us choose to subject ourselves to the laws of another institution, what does that have to do with the New Jedi Order? If I am still able to uphold the Jedi morals, then there is no conflict."

"And so my faith in the circle has been shaken by it's obvious overreach through attempting to dictate to me how I can and cannot function. It appears it is choosing to try to broaden its own power into something beyond a religious order, and desires to become more of a politicized faction. There is no need to work on a "balance" between the NJO and the Alliance, because the NJO is not a governmental entity. We are Jedi. Let us be Jedi, and let us be beacons of light wherever we go. I can be fully a Jedi, and fully a member of the Alliance… there is no convict. There is no balance. To suggest otherwise provokes questions regarding the circles true motives."

"And while some seem to thing this point irrelevant to the discussion… respectfully… I kriffin' disagree. There is no moving forward until this concern is truly addressed."

Kai Bamarri Kai Bamarri
binal-scratchmore.png

<I'm not on Tython with them right now because it's a stupid idea,> <After the attack on the Jedi Temple, they're practically painting a target on their backs by congregating in any one place, Force nexus or not.>

Was he g l a r i n g at her? That was bold.

It took Ishida a few seconds to realize that in the same way she calculated the ways she could kill, the Sithspawn was calculating the ways he could be killed. And for a flicker of an instant, she recalled that horrible sensation of him rooting through her memories, pulling them out like sticky pieces of spaghetti all knotted and messy. Was he reading those very thoughts now? The ones that marked the exists, recognized the vulnerable zones, counted the number of steps it took from here to there?

Her jaw tensed, and she poked her tongue against her cheek in consideration.

Regardless, the avoidance of Tython, as far as he was willing to explain in slimy words against her brain, was self-preservation, yes, but not because the planet itself would consume the Sithspawn. That was still unknown and unanswered.

And maybe unimportant.

Self-preservation seemed a primary motivator for the white-haired, feature-changing gremlin. That's why he ate people, that's why he lashed out when she and Sarun were about to behead him. That's why he was still around, relying on the most benevolent sect in the galaxy. Parading as a Jedi to keep himself alive. That was a Jedi's duty, after all.

It is to adhere to the principles and core tenets of the Code, to act with the purpose of uniting the galaxy in a harmonious whole without exerting unwarranted pain upon others.

And if the Sithling was willing to change, to learn, was that not adherence to the code?

But he still ate people!

<Solipsis was distracted by someone he called "daughter". He left me alive because he was in such a rush to reach her.>

A daughter? That had been left out of the account. Ishida'd been in a medical tent, induced with a lot of drugs thanks to that hole a spear had ripped through her chest, when distressed and hurt soldiers had come in. She'd been loopy, and the details were hazy. Whoever had fought against the Sith Lord, had given them the chance to escape. Distraction enough for their skittering amidst the rubble to go unnoticed. With the descriptors of the voiceless hero, Ishida'd tried to rack her brain and reach some sort of conclusion. This was the only one she could come up with.

The daughter bit was information for another hunt.

"Hm." Ishida grunted, giving a once-over of the Sithling from top to bottom. He'd been left alive by the Sith because of a distraction. Were the Jedi keeping him alive because they were distracted? When she'd first run into this Sithling, Master Sardun had been talking about how corrupted things were beyond repair.

"You seem to keep surviving."

She was being callously blunt, but still trying to give the benefit of the doubt that if there was good, it could be harnessed. And maybe Dagon Kaze wasn't entirely a bimbo.

He could feel her gaze roving over his body, as if by eyeballing him she could figure out what was in his heart and cast judgment upon him.

"You seem to keep surviving."

Kai inwardly flinched.

“You want to live, you will live.”

He reminded himself of who he was. Kai Bamarri. Not just the Doppelganger. Not anymore. That was then, this is now.

<Yes. I’m still alive.> His eyebrows rose, his expression wide-eyed and innocent. <Does that bother you?>

Despite the look on his face, he knew he was poking the albino tigress, hoping to figure out her intentions. Was she here just for information, or would she try to kill him again?

And if she did, would he be ready for it?

Kai Bamarri Kai Bamarri
binal-scratchmore.png

For some reason, the simplicity of his response stalled her. Just a fact and a question. That's all it was.​
Yes he was alive. Did that bother her? Was she irritated that he was still breathing, sneaking around and being suspicious?​
ebWNYtK.png
Originally, yes.​
Now though, the truth was she didn't know if it bothered her or not. But she was trying to not let it bother her.
Ishida didn't answer the question directly.​
"That night you escaped Master Sardun," Escpaed Sardun, not her. If it had been up to her, there would have been no pause for Mercy. His head would have been cleaned from his shoulders with no chance to surrender to execution. She was trying to be a little different now. "He was imparting a lesson on the irredeemability of darknesses corruption."
His doe-eyed innocence was met with neutral placidity.​
"If that was true," Ishida began with an edge of caution. She trusted Sardun and his insight but was discretely tailoring some of his lessons to be a little more liberal and kindred with all the grey going on in the galaxy. Black and white thinking was harmful and stunting. She'd come to realize that in the case of her master, there were two types of light: the glow that illumines, and the glare that obscures. "Then yes, your survival would bother me."
Her fingers drummed against her bicep.​
"You could betray the Jedi, all congregated together right now. But you're choosing to try and help them, right? Voice your opinion on how the Order can heal and move forward?
Why?"

Kai’s lip curled slightly at the mention of Sardun, pouting at the memory of pain. He remembered the sting of Sardun’s Light, remembered his flesh melting, its shape lost.

But they weren’t discussing Sardun. They were discussing Ishida.

"You could betray the Jedi, all congregated together right now. But you're choosing to try and help them, right? Voice your opinion on how the Order can heal and move forward? Why?"

<Because I’m a Jedi.>

The simple answer came swiftly, easily—so much so, Kai was almost surprised. Maybe he didn’t always feel like a Jedi, maybe sometimes he failed at being a Jedi, but no matter what, it was true. I am a Jedi.

<I know anyone can say they’re a Jedi,> he added. <Just saying it doesn’t really mean anything. I could show you my memories, all the things I’ve done as a Jedi, but you wouldn’t accept those as proof.> After all, given his nature, they could have come from someone else. <So watch me. See what I do, where I go from here, and judge for yourself. But you won’t judge for me.>

It was temporary. The glow of the hologram was out for a second, but long enough for it to strike into the small wound that had dug into her patience. Dagon was one point of calm in a stormy sea and Kai was the other. One of them asked a valid question, the other did the same but also had her back. So far so good, but the questions that she had no answers for kept coming and the reasoning behind her being wrong did too.

How did one operate outside the law and yet inside of it? Aeris had no idea because she had never operated outside of the law while serving in an official capacity.

For a moment she lowered her pad to look at Dagon with a forlorn look in her eyes. The answer on her tongue was still formulating as she found one more person adding to the pile, and then the next one. A sharp exhale forced its way through her opened mouth as once again she began to ponder that maybe it wasn't the Order that was the problem, it was she who was the problem.

Change couldn't be forced.

Change came to those who were open for it.

These people were for the most part, seemingly not open for it. Checks and balances, ironic as it was that a child of all people brought up some good ones, was also the only point in the solution that Aeris could think of that she hadn't forced upon the list she was making. And those that she had forced upon the list were the ones people seemed to dispute, which spoke more for…

A sharp throb began to pulsate against the side of her head. She further lowered the pad for a moment to gently place her fingers against her temple to feel the way it seemed to push and pull against the surface of her skin. For a second she tried to swallow it, but the growing pressure was…

She just neeed to…

She was…

Aeris cracked. The invisible little crevices that Dagon had spotted began to shatter into proper fault lines as Aeris' judgment seemed to lapse. He knew what was about to happen but by then it was already too late.

"Of course." Aeris said and drew in a deep breath and put the stylus back into the pad. "You're right. You are absolutely right."

"We should just keep going like we are, forever circling the barrel of a loaded gun because having at least some form of accountability is such a scary fucking concept for some of us. By all means, we should just continue to do what we have done for the last decade, just… Pretend that the Jedi are still morally superior to everything else despite being seen as no better than murderers and thieves in some corners of the galaxy, a few of which we even claim to protect."

The frustration began to blossom and grew palpable almost.

"Actually, let's all act like nothing will ever change between us and the Alliance or whichever entity we are working alongside the next time something like this happens. Or gods forbid, have a plan in place in case it does."

The frustration hardened into a bark-covered tree.

"No, actually, how about we stop. Hiding. Behind. The fucking code, huh? How about we stop using it as a shield that grants us some form of diplomatic immunity or innate license to 'do what is right.' A 'right' that seems to include an ability to pass judgment at the tip of a lightsaber or fist."

Aeris had enough. All of this was pointless, the entire summit was a waste of time.

"This is not about POLITICS, or upholding the 'laws' of other bodies, it's about OPTICS. You can be playing at soldier if you want, but if you cross the line in your duty — we will need these plans in place in case your actions would have overarching problems for the rest of us."

And then she turned to the man who provided the final straw that broke the camel's back. Aeris was the camel, his insistence on the Circle being the issue here when the reality of the matter was that the NJO as a whole was the issue at this point.

"Like, say, for example, we get locked up in a fucking barrel and gunned down like a bunch of fish again, Knight Avarice."

"We have had members of our order be part of the senate from the very start up until very recently, and we regrettably threw them out in a lapse of our own judgment. In so many ways, our faith guides many prominent members of its assembly, and we it is not just the senate that we have been embbeded in since the very START. We have acted as both politicians and guides to a lot of entities. So DO NOT even TRY to claim that we are not a political body, because no matter what we do it will ripple out into the rest of the Alliance in one way or the other."

"Does anyone here understand that, even in the slightest? ANY. OF. YOU?"

bannernjo.png

WEAPON: Single-bladed Amethyst Lightsaber
TAGS: Traden Avarice Traden Avarice Soren Dar Iris Arani Iris Arani Zaka Zaka Aeris Lashiec Aeris Lashiec Dagon Kaze Dagon Kaze and others

FS3Gb3Y.png
"I think I might..?"

Keiran had been uncharacteristically quiet the whole time. The conversation had resonated around him as if he was listening to music. But he had been listening, and many of the conversations seemed to lead back to the same problems that had put them in this situation in the first place. He'd stood in the midst of the crowd, just behind his master, contemplating his words intently and watching the debate go on.

The padawan shuffled forward slightly so that he could better project his thoughts on the issue. "The code will affect different people, in different ways. Just as the Force flows through us in different ways. Whether we like it or not, there will always be conflict, and it is better we embrace that conflict than let it fracture us."

Clearing his throat, he carried on. "I quite agree that the tenets of our philosophy may need to be reworked, but in a way that accomadates for all of the different colours of the kaleidescope that is the Order. I joined the Alliance Military for reasons any regular soldier would, but it is compounded by my status as a Jedi, A status that I carry during every mission, every move, every advance. The code, at least the way I interpret it governs my every move. But so does Alliance Law."

"The Alliance is not our enemy and let them not become so. Whatever decision comes out of this discussion, we should not alienate or exclude the Alliance or certain members of our cadre that wish to remain a part of it. My personal code and the people of the Galaxy are best served by my being a soldier, and I don't think that should have to come into conflict with my willingness to serve the Force and be a Jedi."

"Think of the innumerable beings that called themselves Jedi, that fought in wars, that saved the Galaxy, that served numerous different governments, planets, organisations yet ultimately, whether they strayed or not at some point, remained devoted to serving the Force. Jedi must define Jedi. While we must tread carefully in our relations with the galactic government, we should not impose ourselves one each other."

Feeling slightly embarassed but what might be construed as an outburst, he stepped back into the crowd, just that bit closer to Traden Avarice Traden Avarice and hung his head.

The Councilor was better than him, N'Jazaka thought. If he was in her place, going around in circles like this, he would've called it in... Put an end to this whole discussion and got back out to work.

He couldn't fault Avarice for what he thought, because he agreed. At least marginally.

Free of being governed was the best way for a Jedi. Separate of an organized structure and free to operate as they would on their own terms, trusting that they'd abide by their oaths. There was no Order without trust. No Jedi.

"You're both right. You guys get that right?" Chewing on the inside of his cheek as he thought how best to go forward, to be brash, or at ease. Okay. "You want accountability," he looked to Aeris, "And you want the Circle to uphold what a Jedi is." This time the steel coloured orbs turned in the direction of Traden.

He kept it simple instead of addressing all of their concerns at once.

"Nobody is saying you can't be in the Alliance's institutions and be a Jedi. We have moved past that... I think two times now. What you're asking for, Master Avarice, has been agreed to, by the Circle. Today, here, now." Nodding in the direction of Bernard and Aeris. Did they need a third Councilor to say the same thing? He was hoping not. "These things that she's writing down are, like she said, ensuring that we, both as sentient beings, and as Jedi, retain the right to be autonomous of each other, and to be judged as such."

Then, to Aeris.

"If these changes that you're putting down are to be implemented, why does it matter what optics are on us? We talk about faith, the Code, tenets, philosophy... I don't recall opinions... That is, the opinions of others, forming a Jedi's decision making. If that's something that can stop a Jedi from acting from a place to do good, then that person shouldn't be a Jedi. People thinking of us as good, is not why we do what we do. If we're not doing it to be thanked, loved, or to be governing leaders, then why do optics matter? I genuinely want to know."

"If we're talking about accountability, in an effort to prevent another Coruscant slaughterhouse, we should start from the top down. Like, when is the Circle going to admit they're all just as culpable in what happened there, as the Jedi who committed the war crimes?"

She's mad.

Oh, how dramatic! I love it! I love it! Please clap for me, Kyric. You know I can't do it!

Kyric released a long, drawn-out sigh. He allowed his gaze to shift from Jedi to Jedi, studying each of the assembled throughout Aeris' outburst. His attention soon came to a rest on Dagon at his side. Of all those gathered, he was the poor librarian's anchor. Unfortunately, things hadn't entirely gone as planned for anyone, Kyric could guess, and that anchor appeared to of latched onto something that couldn't bear the weight.

You should help her, son.

Pfft, I'm not sure about that. Most of 'em look at me like I'm part of the problem. You and I both know I'm not part of the solution.

Stop making excuses and become part of the solution.

He shoved a hand back into his candy pocket and pushed off the wall. "Alright, fine, pops, you win."

With a deep breath, Kyric crossed the room to where Aeris stood. It was Zaka's turn to speak, and unlike before, the young man made a visible effort to listen to the words shared by the rest. He could feel some part of his brain taking them in and filing them away for some future point. Maybe a moment from then, but that was probably step two. Right now, Kyric remained focused on step one. The sage.

"Here," Kyric produced another piece of candy from his pocket and held it out to Aeris. "You've done your thing. Enjoy some candy, take a breather. Lemme see if I can work some magic."

Empathize, son. It is your greatest weapon.

You can also yell at them, you know. Make them scared of you.

Flex your power!

Ignoring them all, Kyric turned on his heel and looked to the group.

"Though I do appreciate the top-down metaphor, I think it's a bit... wrong?" Kyric crossed his arms over his chest and shifted his feet, so they were about shoulder width apart. A power stance. "From what I learned about this Order, it's slowly gone away from an unorganized mass to something with a bit more... I dunno, order, I guess, to accommodate for swelling ranks. People who come here do so to feel like they're a part of something bigger, something that can make a difference in the galaxy, shoulder to shoulder, with other like-minded folks. Otherwise, you'd go kick it in the praxeum and do whatever the fuck they do. Chew gum, probably."

"Anyway, the metaphor," he nodded towards Zaka. "Any good organization or team is dependent on strong leadership. You need folks who can point others in the right direction, so they aren't bumbling around like a bunch of clueless fucks," he motioned to Aeris then. "The bottom of any structure is its base, its strongest point. The bottom is the Circle. They are the point clearly tryin' to hold up the rest of us dumb fucks. Yeah, I think the Circle needs more accountability like you said, mister Zaka, sir. But I also think the Order's individual members can be better about it, too."

He did a little wiggle and motioned towards Soren, Traden, and Valery. "We've got a trio of masters here. Rather than make this conversation easier for the person trying to mediate it, they've continued to build up this chaos soup. Every time we take a step forward, we take another step back," he quite literally took one step forward, then one step back while saying that like they needed the visual or something.

Yes! Keep doing the thing! Make a show of it, Kyric! We love a good show.

Kyric winced but continued nonetheless.

"We can't find solutions to every problem here. Nor can we touch down on every subject of importance. Faith, tradition, accountability, etc., it's all important. This little get-together is about compromise to find our part of the deal meant to keep this Order safe from the Alliance. We've got some good stuff. Let's build on that instead of diverting the conversation to shit that, frankly, isn't going to change with the introduction of this here list of stipulations. Y'all are gonna continue to be able to do whatever the fuck it is you do. That ain't gonna change. This Order was built on an unorthodox approach to being a Jedi cause the Orthodox system has never worked. Look at the Silvers. They tried it, and like twelve systems under their protection were turned into dead-space by crab people."

He raised both hands and clamped them together repeatedly like little crab claws. Stupid.

"If you want to help keep this Order on track in a way that works for YOU, you need to start becoming part of the solution. And I don't mean hours-long discussions in a tree, either. Be the difference you want to see. Volunteer for more work. Speak to the Circle, work closely beside them. Hell, maybe there can be a select group of Jedi who helps the Circle with the checks and balances I suggested. That way, the workload is spread out not only to help make their lives easier but to keep the people helping this Order diverse and unique."

Kyric motioned to Valery. "If you want more philosophy and tradition implemented, you can keep that in mind when working to ascertain the nature of a Jedi's behavior," he looked to Traden. "You mostly just sound like you wanna do Jedi shit and not be told you can't. Help the Order by protecting the people who want to do Jedi shit, not on the battlefield, but at home in the temple."

He cleared his throat at that. "Yeah, that's all I got," he turned to Aeris and offered her a thumbs up. "How'd I do?"

Last edited:

It was someone else's turn to address the room, the kid, Kyric, Dagon's ward from Denon it seemed.

He could not deny that the kid was smart. "I agree," Zaka started, in response to Kyric. "I don't even want the Circle to apologize, or admit to fucking up. We all do it, sooner or later. But it's a joke to think this Circle has strong leadership." He wasn't fond of organized structures. But, the founders of this Order didn't make it easier on those that followed in their wake to lead. "I want them to be though." He spoke scathingly, but when he turned his head in the direction of Bernard and Aeris, any observer would be hard pressed to find animosity there.

"You can't say you're doing something, to save your own ass, on account of someone else's hypothetical future mistake, and just ignore your own real ones. Strong leaders? They hold those that follow accountable. And when they fuck up? They own up to it and show at the very least, a bare amount of humility. How are we supposed to follow people that can't trust us, but we're supposed to ignore their mistakes? There should be a drive to do better. To be better. And that feeling stems from visible leaders, standing in the front, and embodying that." As much as he hated the talking, he had a lot to say admittedly.

Bobbing his head back in the direction of Kyric, he briefly paused to regard the kid in new light before he continued. "You're right though, that we can't solve every problem we have and people are still going to do what they do. We get change by going out there and being present. Jedha's still rebuilding, the Ponemah settlement is still growing, to name a few that I'm close to." Shrugging, he scratched the back of his head.

"Of course, you guys don't have to listen to a word I say. I'm just... I'd like to think the Circle has our bests interests in mind. I just haven't seen that yet."

And here we go.

Aeris cracked, letting loose words she had been mincing throughout the whole meeting. Then another wave of views, opinions, and questions followed. Kyric was assertive as his father, and maybe some more. Zaka was trying to figure out how things were done in the Core. Each valid in their own right but this discussion was going--

"ALRIGHT! Enough." Dag barked, gesturing with his hands for everyone to remain silent. He was doing it as much as for his own sanity as for Aeris'.

"We're goin' in circles now. Repeating the same things and arguing over semantics more than anything else at this point. We all agree there's a need for some change and for the most part there seems to be a consensus among us. At least over most things. Going back and forth on the same thing but wording it differently's gonna get us nowhere so let's start with baby steps..." his hand gestured at Bernard or Aeris, either worked, "You wanna recap? And let's call it a day."

The longer he was here, the less work he got done.

Aeris' anger sober Jem. Out of all the faces here there were only two that had made it an effort to look after and care for her. Aeris was sheltering her brother, and while she didn't have to, she was also keeping their secret. In Jem's small, shattered world, this made Aeris made her family.

She gave a small, distressed look up at Dagon as her heros began to appear... human. Flawed, challenged people. She didn’t have anything to say anymore. She looked a little pale.

This was exactly what Darth Solipsis Darth Solipsis wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom