Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Reply The Next Job

Cargo Port, Terminus

"Credits. Now."

"Come on, you already got my docking fees."

"Customs charges, you know how it is."

The guy had the most punchable grin in the Galaxy and there was absolutely nothing Juniper could do. Well, that was a lie. She could smack him, right in his jaw, and it'd feel really, really good. For all of like, 3 seconds. Before the blasters came out, the cuffs went out and she'd be thrown into some sweaty little jail cell for the next 20 years. Not exactly high on her life-plan.

"Fiiiine," she hissed, reaching into her pocket. She handed over the credits with all the grace and charm of an irritated rancor, slapping him into his hand with a grunt. She turned away from him, sparing herself the look of satisfaction on his face. Customs charges my butt. Bleeding myself dry so he can line his own damn pockets. Credits can't buy you a new face, you ugly piece of...

It wasn't much use though. She moved over to the railing and sighed, looking out over the rest of the port. Ships flying above, searching for their spot to dock. Little dots in the distance, people running around to load and unload all sorts of cargo. She saw a Duros pilot arguing with someone from their crew. A couple of Twi'lek guys looking shady, leaning by a wall and smoking.

All those creds to bring those crates here... and I've already spent most of it. Fuel and port shakedowns took their toll. This is why people turn to smuggling, y'know, she yelled in her mind, looking right towards the customs people.

Shaking her head, she moved away from the railing and stepped away from the ship. At the very least, the Snicket would be safe there. Good thing too, as she needed to get more work now. She made her way off towards the main port, in search of some food and someone with credits burning a hole in their pocket.

There was always someone who needed a fast ship.

Someone.

Oh please let there be someone, I am not selling any more of my stuff.

Illian moved slowly from one side to the next. Moving his head up and down in repetition, he enjoyed the music he overheard from a restaurant nearby the cargo port. On the other hand, the food was... less than satisfactory, although there were certain cuisines he enjoyed. For the price though, he could only conclude that he had been ripped off. Unfortunately, despite a strong temptation not to, he still footed the bill, and grabbed the snacks he carried and put it in a cooling system.

And off he went. It was a short walk to the main port. As he entered, he saw a list of captains, all appearing to have a good flight record. But they charged extremely hefty fees, more than Illian was willing to permit. A squire's salary could only earn so much; even more so for his side hustles. That, and he had left his ship back on Naboo. His own gut feeling, refined from his experiences on the Smuggler's Moon, made him believe some of them were also corrupt.

He then looked at a ship belonging to Juniper Fett. It seemed the price was affordable for him to join. Yet, seeing her age, he was less than convinced. Recalling how many people had doubted him because of his age, he pushed away the pervading thought from his mind. Whatever the case, he wanted to get out of the planet quickly, and return to doing something more productive.

The food wasn't great. A skewer of unidentifiable 'meat' of some kind. Sure, it cost way more than it should've and it was probably made out of whatever creatures stowed away onboard all those cargo freighters but hey, food was food. Tasted pretty nice too, but that might've been desperation. Or her growing insanity. Who could really say these days?

As she approached where docked her ship, she saw a young-ish looking guy scoping out the details. She paused for a second or two, lingering back to dump the skewer in the trash and smooth out her clothes. Gotta look professional. Gotta look like a proper starship captain. I should get a hat. After smoothing down her coat (and somehow making a ton more creases in it), she stepped over towards him with a smile.

"Hi!" she said to him, probably a little bit too brightly. "Looking for a ship?" she asked him, looking over her shoulder back at the
Snicket. "I promise you, you won't find a quicker ride in this spaceport. Not on a civilian dock, anyway!"

Turning back to face him, she grinned wide and held out her hand. "Juniper Jett. Yes, that is my real name," she lied. "You need some cargo hauled, or is this a personal trip?"

Illian Dragos Illian Dragos

"Who are..."

Juniper Jett Juniper Jett had already answered his own question. Coincidently enough, it appeared that she owned the specific ship he had previously looked at.

"The name is Illian. And yes." glancing at the ship again. "I'm looking for a ship and personal ship...sorry, I meant a personal trip. I don't have any cargo."

He observed Jupiter for a moment. She was much more younger than he had expected, Illian suspecting there were the same age. That would probably explain the energetic greeting, or maybe she was a scammer, like other captains he'd run into in his childhood. He remained alert over the possibility, but never revealed it in his demeanour.

"How long have you been flying?" It was probably where his thoughts should have been directed. She'd probably been asked these questions before, so he expected it to be a routine for her.

"Also, how many customers have you had?", awaiting her response.

Illian seemed a little bit distrustful, though that really was to be expected. Whole Galaxy was rife with people offering a whole lot and delivering nothing. Or, even worse, taking everything from you. Case in point, the customs shakedown I just had. Nevertheless, getting the grilling from someone who seemed around her own age was a new, jarring experience. She withdrew her hand, noticing he hadn't shaken it, and ran it through her hair.

"Me? I've been flying ships for... well, probably since I was 11, 12-ish," she admitted with a casual shrug. "Not with ones like this but smaller skippers and foils, you know." Probably revealing a little bit too much about herself. Very few people could afford casual flight lessons as a kid. She quickly tried to veer back on track.

"I've been flying the Snicket for about four months now, as an independent contractor. Fixed her up myself. I've just finished up a job dropping off some laboratory equipment here for a start-up," she said, fully aware that was probably a spice outfit hiding behind fancy words, "and just before that I moved a family away from Lantillies to Commenor." That job had paid decently, at least. Border tensions with the Sith meant lots of people who were willing to pay for speed.

"If it'd make you feel safer, I could give you a tour?" she asked, hands on her hips.

Where some would have probed how Juniper Jett Juniper Jett had been able to fly these ships at a young age,Illian chose not to pursue such an inquiry. Other than her privacy, he didn't believe it would suit his interests, nor did he wish to have to be bound to any societal obligation to reveal a bit about his past. Perhpas one thing they shared in common was a desire to see their childhoods behind them, and he would unknowingly honor it.

"Four months of flying.." Well, that wasn't the most convincing of records. The young squire slightly glanced at the holo-board examined the prices. He really was short on credits.

I suppose some risks have to be taken.

Looking at Juniper, he brought out his hand in a handshake. "My deepest apologies for ignoring it earlier." He had seen her withdrawing her hand. Crossing fingers, at least mentally, he hoped that she'd accept his apology.

When she'd offered him the chance to go on the ship, he chose not to waste her time. He wasn't an engineer, nor did he know any parts of a ship other than a hyperdrive, and its ion engines.

"There's no need for that. Here are the credits." Putting his container of food on the ground, he reached to his pockets and gave her whatever currency was acceptable here. His mannerism would show he was on a bit of a rush, while maintaining a level of respect expected from a customer.

It was clear that he wasn't all that impressed by her short career history. Well, we all gotta start flying sometime. And I don't see you having many options left, random guy. Still though, he seemed to accept and held his hand out. Her smile returned and she reached out, taking her hand in his.

"No problem, no harm done at all! So long as we're agreed, then I'll take you where you need to go!" She watched him fish out the credits, hoping she didn't seem too greedy. Oh thank goodness. Luscious, precious credits. Gimme. She took the payment and gave it a quick once over. Seemed right, and there was no reason to doubt him.

"Thanks muchly! Well, right this way!" she told him, leading the way onto the platform. With a tap of the device on her wrist, the ship started to spring to life. The platform on the side would start to descend and hiss with propellent and steam, opening up the ship to them. Juniper stepped up on there, beckoning Illian to follow.

"There's passenger quarters towards the rear of the ship, so you can make yourself comfy. There's a mess too, so if you wanna fix yourself a drink or another bite to eat, you're more than welcome to. But ah, it's only like, the basic rusk and survival rations at the moment. This isn't a fancy Core hotel," she explained to him, hands on her hips as she stood inside.

"Where'd you say you were heading, again?"

At least I wasn't a douche this time.

He could see her excitement when he had handed the credits. A string of purchases had made him a bit low on credits. The only way he could see if he had the right choice was to join her ship.

Joining her as he entered the ship, after her explanation, he simply smiled. She, like him was a hustler; he suspected they had most likely had different childhoods, but she was finding her own path, just like he was. And he always respected hustlers, even bad ones.

"Don't worry. I'm actually not particularly hungry at the moment. Want a snack?" He opened his container, Illian's nose tickled at what he believed to be an ambrosian smell; it was as if his taste buds had acquired a mind of their own, the young warrior remembering the delicious sweet taste he had experienced in the restaurant. Fortunately for Juniper, he didn't intend on eating it even if he was hungry. He'd read being hungry made people more productive, and he wanted to test out such a theory.

"Actually, you can have all of it. I don't really want it." Rubbing his stomach, he intended to show that he was truly full of food. And there was a sizable chunk of non-leftover food to it. Whether she was hungry or not wasn't his concern; as far as he was concerned, he'd gotten rid of something he didn't want.

"Anywhere in Confederacy space." Reaching out to the force, he could feel something odd. Instead of attempting to find a destination, a particular presence was near him. He looked at her with a neutral look, his mind wondering if she was a force sensitive. The thought pervaded in his mind as he sat down, as he wanted to inquire more about her.

"Where did you learn how to fly a ship?"

Juniper Jett Juniper Jett

Juniper looked down at the offered container, as she recognised some of the food that she'd seen on Terminus. Her stomach roiled inside her, the remnants of the skewer she ate earlier making themselves known. Ugggh... I've got to stop eating spaceport food, it never ends well.

"Thanks for the offer but... I think I had enough while waiting around." She stared at the container suspiciously, like the food was about to sprout legs and walk itself to the garbage. She'd act casually and wait until his back was turned. Then, she'd slide it straight into the trash. Wasting food was bad. Letting Terminus food out into the wider Galaxy should've been a crime against sentient life.

"Confederacy space? Sure. Eriadu do?" she asked, taking a second to stifle a smirk. Ha. Du do. Not exactly professional to be so childish. "I've got a contact on there looking to get some ore offworld, so that'll work nicely for me. Otherwise, I can probably swing a detour to Naboo?" Shouldn't be too hard. She'd docked on both worlds before and Confederacy space was usually easy and safe to navigate.

She was about to head to the bridge when he asked that question, making her frown a little. Asking questions about her past seemed to be a common habit of passengers lately and it always tickled her paranoia.

Calm down Juniper, he's just looking to get to Confederate space. They have nothing to do with your family.

"My uncle," she explained, keeping details brief and sketchy. "He was a pilot. Flew fighters for a while. He helped me get my ship together," she admitted with a shrug, like it was no big deal to get a ship like that working.

"If it's skill you're worried about, I gotta say that I'm easily as good as any of those commercial pilots, if not better."

"Wherever you want. As long as I'm in Confederacy space."

Looking at her, he looked at is container.

Are you going to eat the food, or just stand there. Whatever. It's your choice anyway

Leaving the room, he walked out, faking some steps in an attempt to hear if she was trying to hide she was eating food. He didn't hear anything, and but he made sure to leave. When he returned, he saw it in the trash. Illian didn't know if he'd be offended. The food was from an upper-class restaurant near the main spaceport, and she'd just wasted all his hard ad credits down the drain.

Be quiet now... this ship isn't big enough to let your anger explode.

He then heard Juniper Jett Juniper Jett 's elucidation about her uncle.

"Interesting. You must have been well off." he uttered. From his experience, anyone who could obtain a ship was well off. That showed the childhood he had come from.

"I'm not worried about your skill, otherwise I wouldn't have come here." That and his credits could have paid himself. But he knew he could get a ship to fly him to the Confederacy. He was one of their members after all, and new friends in high places.

"I was wondering if you knew any flight schools. I want to learn how to fly a ship some-time. It'll do me well."

Maybe it would do you well to, if you're a force user.

His comment about her supposed wealth caught Juniper off-guard. Instantly, she became suspicious. Her eyes narrowed as she looked him over, checking to make sure he wasn't hiding something. Or holding onto a blaster, about to pounce. Chances were increasing that he was some sort of bounty hunter, brought in to find her wherever she'd run off to.

"We were okay. We got by. Not exactly rich or anything," she lied, the smile gone from her face. Poking anywhere near close to her background was not pretty and she was not in the mood for more deflection about it. Which made meant that his next question felt completely out of left field.

Flight school? Gosh, I suppose that is a thing.

"I mean, not really? I did some basic commercial and pleasure piloting training back home, but that was in the Core," she explained, revealing a little bit too much. Damn it. Slipped out. Shoulda stuck to me being from New Alderaan. "I'm sure there's plenty of schools in the Confederacy. Doesn't Naboo have like, a really famous academy?" she asked. She was sure she'd heard that somewhere. Maybe on the Holonet, or listening to some spaceport chatter.

"Anyway, I mean, I practised a lot with this ship when I was fixing it up. Had to make sure it flew. More you do something, the better you get, right?" It seemed like a wholly inadequate explanation, but it was true. She was a decent pilot because she'd been trying out and secretly training for years. Well, a couple of years.

But then again, she'd always had a knack for it. That Teenage Good Luck, her uncle had always said.

"Oh.. your from the Core. Which planet?"

Maybe he was digging a bit to deep, but anyone could see the change in her demeanor. He figured he'd probably not be invited her ship again if he inquired more, but Illian rarely met two people twice.

Maybe I should change the subject.

"I'm not generally suited for academies." He never really had a formal education. All he knew was how to read, and he'd done some basic subjects thanks to his deceased parents. Even if he wanted to, he doubted he'd be accepted. The cost would most likely be to high, and they'd probably be other subjects in the flying curriculum you had to take that Illian knew next to nothing about. Besides, he was more focused on his studies on the force. They served more of a purpose for him, at least for now.

"Absolutely. Experience trumps any formal education."

Which planet? The mind-your-own-business planet. That planet.

The words were on the tip of her tongue. She just wanted to say it, so badly. Why the heck did half her clients end up trying to pry into her past? She could've just took on a bunch of new cargo and it'd be a much, much simpler trip. Cargo doesn't start sharing dock food with you. Cargo doesn't want to know which planet you came from.

But... she held back. Because unfortunately for her, Illian was a paying customer. It wouldn't be a good idea to start mouthing off too much, lest she get a reputation. Who knew who he knew in the Confederacy? The wrong words in the right ears and all those contracts and revenue streams that Juniper'd been hoping for in Confederate space would dry up. So she forced a smile on her lips, a very insincere one.

"Coruscant," she lied, quickly moving aside him before he could stare her down, or pick up that she was lying. Still, he moved on, talking about academies. She would've loved to have gone for more advanced training somewhere like that, and she definitely had the resources to do it, but learning to be an ace pilot wasn't considered an acceptable hobby for a young woman of her station.

"My advice? Find an old, used ship for cheap somewhere, get a couple of people to fix it up with you and take it out for practice. You'll soon get the hang of it. That, or you crash it into the side of something. I'd recommend practising somewhere rural," she teased, flashing him a smile as she definitely moved to the bridge.

"Feel free to make yourself at home, I'm gonna spool up and set off," she called over her shoulder, boots stomping on the metal flooring of the hallway as she moved confidently through her pride and joy.

He didn't know if he'd hit a rock. Maybe, just maybe, the smile was fake. Or it was another one of the genuine smiles that captains truly had. The thing was, he hated not being able to figure it out. But he knew that he had gotten this feeling from a question about her past. Choosing to follow his own policy, he decided not to pursue the matter further. Besides, if she decided to tell all, he wouldn't reveal anything about himself anyways.

When she said he was from Coruscant, his eye brows went up. He'd heard many stories about the planet, and he was extremely tempted to pursue a discussion about the planet. Oh, how he wished he'd ignore his gut feeling and just speak about it. There was always a curious streak with the man, but he knew how to control it: at least, for now anyways.

"Easier said than done." he silently muttered, hoping she wouldn't hear him.

Pulling his hand up, he scratched the back of his head, his demeanor showing he was shy.

"Do you have any training materials I could buy from ya?" Well, he wouldn't be buying it, the Confederacy would be for him.

The benefits of being a Knights Obsidian, smiling as he considered what else he could get away with.

Illian chose not to follow her as he went to the bridge. Sitting down on the lounge, he saw the ship and wondered to himself what he'd do.

Great; I'm bored again.

Training manuals? Who does this guy think I am, flight commander of the Galactic Alliance? She just shook her head as she moved towards the bridge, stepping inside and flipping the various switches. Slowly, the ship's engines started to spool up and come to life. A hum ran through the ship, a slight vibration through the floor of the bridge, feeling everything start to lurch into life. The screens threw information out to her, running through the essential pre-flight checks to make sure that they wouldn't, y'know, explode on the pad.

She was about to settle into her chair when she thought back to Illian, rubbing the back of his head. Guy probably didn't deserve getting the angry treatment. Why was she so touchy lately? She was supposed to be living her dream... out in the stars, making her own way and finding her own path. Juniper sighed as she shook her head, turning to step out from the bridge again.

Her boots stomped on the metal floor again as she made her way down to the lounge. She poked her head around the corner, her dark hair swaying slightly as she saw him.

"Hey. You ah... still want to learn something about flying?" she asked him as he sat there. "Because... well, I'm about to take off so if you like... wanted to come and watch, see how I do it, you're welcome to?"

It felt real awkward just asking that.

"Or don't. Whatever you want. You're paying."

Your a weird one.

Feeling the vibration, Illian stood up, his feet somewhat trembling. He'd flown before numerous times, but Illian was still getting used to the feeling of a ship roaring. Clenching his fist, he wished he'd have a necklace or something to touch to come him calm him down.

I guess my fist will have to do.

His eyes lit up, chuckling at her offer. Was it a joke or a serious offer? Illian couldn't tell what Juniper Jett Juniper Jett was thinking. That was why she was a weird one. One moment she seemed like a good fella. The other moment, Illian thought she might be a typical marketer. There was only way to find out.

"I'm down." he said, trying to sound excited. Following her, he went to the pilot seat.

"Please... no extravagant moves."

He'd heard stories about what happened to people who'd been with flashier pilots. And well.. he'd prefer not to be a story himself.

"Awesome. Follow me, I guess."

It was Juniper's attempt to make up for being a little standoff-ish, in her mind. He'd probably just been making polite conversation and she'd blown it off with suspicion and boasting. Not really the best attitude. Besides, new passengers with a good impression? That mean new contacts. New contacts, new contracts, new work. And who knows when you might need to rely on a favour for something?

She lead him into the bridge, which could be described as fairly 'cosy.' There were a few consoles, maybe room for two or three other pilots or navigators, but still left it easy enough for just one person to take off. Juniper settled into her own seat, running her fingers through her hair as she leaned back into the worn synthleather seat.

"'Kay, so, lemme just flick through the stuff," she said, as the console vidscreens spit out some green code. Nothing of major importance, just another updated diagnostic. The basic gist? Yeah we can take off. Juniper reached over, fingers curling round a small lever that she pushed forwards. As she did, the ship started to move. Started to rise very, very slowly off the landing pad.

"So obviously we're on a pad right now, so we need to rise up to get to safe cruising and flight height. Which is different on each world," she explained, as the buildings slowly slipped away from the view through the window. "So on a rural world or if you're on a less-populated part of somewhere, you can usually switch to normal flight pretty quickly. But on somewhere built up, it takes a while. It took me forever to get used to taking off on Chandri... Coruscant," she correctly quickly, feeling a little mortified that she'd slipped up.

"Sorry, my brain is a little fried," she said, trying to pass it off as a joke. "Here, you take hold of the pad, you need to try and keep us stable as we rise up. We should be clear until we get close to the lane." She indicated towards the yoke that was attached to the console, the handles shifting ever so slightly with the movement of the ship.

Illian raised his eyebrow at the so-called joke. He didn't know it was a joke, but he could the hint that maybe she didn't want him to pry further.

Don't ask her about her past... Ignore it. Don't do it Illian.! Fighting the temptation, his mind quickly focused on flying the ship.

"Your fine with me taking control of your ship?" he stated, looking at her with widened eyes. Did she really trust him that much, or was she kidding?

Please tell me you are joking.

Illian then looked at the viewport. He could feel his hands become sweaty, swallowing whatever spit he had as he chewed on his lips, attempting to stop any minor fidgeting that could be discerned with a keen eye. There was a lot of traffic. And I mean a lot. Hesitating to sit on the chair, he hoped the Confederacy had insurance for ships that crashed.

Please, let me not crash your ship.

He then remembered, maybe she wouldn't let him fly on that traffic. Well, there was no way he'd be doing it anyway.

Sitting on the captain's chair, he imagined the little games his mother played on his toy car. Grabbing the steering wheel, he attempted his best to keep a straight line. As far as he could gather, there were no nearby ships. Then they suddenly came. And instantly, he began flying like a madman. Curving from one place to the next, trying not to hit so many ships. Up and down, left and right. There was no direction Illian he didn't touch. It was a wonder he didn't hit a ship.

"Juniperrrrr!" he yelled.

"How do I get control of this thing?"

It'll be fine. He's just gonna raise up off the pad and ease into the traffic. Then I'll take back control and-

Her train of thought came to a sudden, shuddering halt as she was wrenched right into danger. Juniper clung onto a console as the ship lurched violently at his control. A ship outside swerved to avoid them as the Snicket span into a lane of shipping traffic. Other freighters quickly moved out of the way as she gasped in horror, her mind filling with images of her precious baby being blown into tiny pieces in a mid-air collision.

The fact that it'd end up killing both Juniper and Illian was secondary in her mind.

"Grab the pad!! Level it OUT!" she yelled, completely unable to give a standard lesson when fearing for her ship. She pulled herself into the other seat, grabbing the co-pilot's controls. Acting quickly, her fingertips danced over some buttons there and that side of the bridge lit up.

Suddenly, the controls would snap shut and lock tight in Illian's hands as Juniper took over. Her controls eased into her grip as she made a gentle movement. The ship aimed down a little, slipping right out of the main lane of shipping traffic into less crowded airspace. Carefully, Juniper pulled the pad back a little, almost willing the ship to come a little more level. Once they weren't in imminent danger of getting splattered all over the Terminus skyline, she breathed out. Her shoulders sagged as she almost melted into the chair.

"Okay so... rule 1, don't do that," she said, looking over at Illian. "Holy moly, have you ever flown a freighter before? We'll just call that a sub-optimal start." She flicked her eyes back to her hands, indicating he should look. "Gentle. Very gentle. No sudden movements, unless the ship is right there. Also, don't fly straight into a airlane. You've got to ease in. It's like a river, you don't dunk yourself in the middle."

I'm never going to be allowed to land on Terminus again.

All he had was murmuring, Illian fearful of his life as her ship nearly touched the hull of another ship. He was completely scared, and the force only knew if his insurance could cover another ship. When she took back control, his hands were shaking, attempting to crack his knuckles to appear to have some semblance of control for himself. For some odd reason, he was fine with facing all manner of fears, but flying appeared to be the one chink in his armor.

How unfortunate.

Looking at her, he was somewhat surprised by her response. No yelling, It appeared that it was something that, to him anyways, it was somewhat laid back; given the fact that he had nearly killed her business, her ship, and them, he wondered if she was truly hiding her anger.

"Ummm... your fine with me flying your ship again?", his eyes, widening in response showing his astonishment.

"I won a ship flying championship once." smiling.

Maybe I shouldn't have made such a joke.

"A
re you seriously fine with me flying your ship again? Even with all this ships?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom