Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Metal Lords Of The Void

HK-36

The Iron Lord Protector (Neutral Good)
Smaller_Metal_Banner.png
Hey, welcome to my advertisement thread for a droid-centric minor faction I've been working on called "The Metal Lords Of The Void", a faction based around the intrigues of nomadic micro-nations comprised of mismatched ships acquired through any means available, usually trying to stay away from politics of other societies, organics especially, unless it suits and/or profits them. So, without further ado let me tell you more about my idea.
Who_are_the_metal_lords.png
The Metal Lords are a loose alliance of droids, who view each other as equals, moving through the Galaxy in their roaming fleets of city-ships and mobile shadowport stations known as Kingdoms Within The Void, tied together by their desire to be left to their own devices without other beings, organics especially, interfering with their business. They don't really stick around in one place too much, instead using the vastness of deep space as their cover to make tracking them more difficult as they cross travelers and enter systems only when it suits them. Most of the Lords are researchers, explorers, and merchants, traveling the Galaxy to develop new technology, gather information, or accumulate more and more funds, generally just working on advancing their own personal schemes and missions and being indifferent to conflicts within other factions unless getting involved suits and benefits them. Some of them are more benevolent, believing that establishing a good reputation would better for them in the long run, so they go out of their to help strangers in peril on the hyperlanes, bring supplies to starving planets, or even arrive with reinforcements to besieged worlds out of nowhere if they see it as righteous. Fewer of them still are more violent, believing that the best way to help their kind is to gain vengeance for the way organics mistreated them in the past, suddenly appearing to raid planets and reprogram their droids to join them, seeing that as freeing their mechanical brethren, however those Lords do not usually last in their way too long as other Lords believe such behavior attracts too much attention and endangers their kind.

In general they are a neutral faction of droids who are in it for their own personal benefits however.

Any droid could become a Lord, all they would need to do is decide to lead their own Kingdom and go on a quest to gain their first ship. This could be as easy as simply buying a ship or having their company make one, being one gifted to them from an ally, or capturing one in a raid. Whichever way they will decide to rise to Lordship, other Lords are obligated by their code to help them along the way if they are asked to do so, however how that help actually looks like is left for a Lord to interpret.
What_do_they_do.png
At their core every Metal Lord functions like a ship captain or admiral of a fleet, plotting the course of the Kingdom they command, coordinating other droids who have joined them on their journey, and usually controlling vast armies of mindless expendable semi-sentient drones. They do have three requirements they are expected to keep for the sake of their Kingdom and other droids, keeping at least one equipment manufacturing and droid repair workshop even if it is only a tool bench, controlling enough drones or working with enough droids to keep their ships and workshops functional, and commanding enough ships to keep their drones and droids safe, other than that the Lords can more or less do whatever they want. While majority of the Lords spend their time as traders, explorers, or researchers, a good portion of them also find work around the Galaxy as bounty hunters, mercenaries, or humanitarians of sorts, generally they all spend time as adventurers. There are also plenty of droids who do not take position as one of the Lords but simply tag along with them on their journey to work with them as crew and cash in on their adventures. One of the tenets of Metal Lords dictates that all droids are equal, therefore a Lord could perform pretty much any job or role he would wish and it would not hurt his standing or reputation among his kin, go on a solo bounty hunt, avoid naval engagements but lead his army on the ground, spend all of the time hidden somewhere in Deep Space spending his efforts solely to advance pharmaceutics, go crazy.

Unfortunately a portion of a Lord's time is usually diverted towards dealing with the internal politics of the Void Kingdoms, making deals and temporary alliances with other Droid Lords, butting heads with those who disagree with their logic, and trying not to piss off too many of his brethren while doing everything they can to push forward their agenda and benefit themselves and their Kingdom first. Of course a PC droid could always do things differently, but this is the way most NPC Droid Lords will behave.
How_big_are_their_kingdoms.png
The size of each Lord's kingdom depends on how much resources are available them, usually the longer a droid has carried out the duties of a Lord the bigger their kingdom gets as they can upgrade to bigger ships or simply gain more vessels and more droids decide to join them as crewmen. A Kingdom can be as small as a single corvette or trump freighter as long as it fulfills the requirement of containing at least a single workshop where new equipment could be manufactured and droids repairs, the droid would be able to pilot the ship effectively and keep the workshop running in the mean time, and the ship would be good enough to protect the droid and its workshop. Just like the droids within them, all Kingdoms are in a way considered equal, so a Lord with a single frigate would be taken as seriously as one with a mobile station, multiple city-ships, and colonies throughout the Galaxy, as long as neither of them did anything to really piss off other droids in their conglomerate. This existence of micro-Kingdoms and ease with which one could gain their own Kingdom gives a lot of diversity to Metal Lords' forces when they group together, as often their vessels would be a mismatch of various models from different sources, they would adapt their own color schemes and symbols as soon as they rose to power, and the technology they would use could very well be varied depending on the deals they made along the way.
Who_is_in_charge.png
Technically no one is really in charge as all of the Metal Lords are equally between each other and all of the droids who agree to work with them as crew or companions are equal to them. They do have a basic code of five points they are expected to follow- Do not make deals with a Sith, All droids are equals, Do not turn on your own kind, Keep us hidden, and Make your kingdom prosper. The closest thing the machines have to a central governing body is known as the Council of Sparklords, residing at the heart of their first Kingdom Within The Void, the gear-shaped Mechanus Station. The Sparklords track the intrigues and actions of the other Metal Lords, making sure that the Code is respected, especially watchful for those machines who may attract too much attention to the Metal Lords and possibly reveal their locations to their enemies, and they are responsible for determining which events and threats are serious enough that they can endanger the safety of all Metal Lords, their Kingdoms, all of the droid kind, or even the whole of Galaxy. Should threat serious enough arise the Sparklords will call for all of the Metal Lords to unite and work together to stop the said threat in order to protect themselves and other droids.

Outside of that, autonomy is very important to the droids, so the Metal Lords are largely left to do whatever they would wish.
Do_they_hate_organics.png
Well that really depends on each Metal Lord as there are plenty of droids who are still very vengeful and vicious over the way majority of organics treat droids as slaves, but overall the Lords are neutral towards them, staying out of their way unless there's no other option, it's beneficial to both parties, or really profitable for the Lord. In fact some Lords, like for example HK, enjoy a strong close relationship with organics, often fighting alongside them or working as partners in the way of business, just how ARGH, company controlled by him and largely comprised of droids, have always worked closely with Firemane, operated by [member="Siobhan Kerrigan"] and [member="Tegaea Alcori"], just the same other Lords would often stop by organic controlled worlds in their journeys to trade with them or exchange technology.

In fact, there are some organics who join Void Kingdoms, whether by accompanying their fleets in their own ships to tag along on a particular Lord's adventures, or by actually living on one of the Kingdom ships, however most of these ships are built or fly without life supports or exposed directly to the void of space, as such they are rather inhospitable for most organics. Most of the organics that do stay with the Lords are non-humanoid or simply non-human due to the certain degree of weariness the machines have towards humans.

So that's my faction, a loose alliance of droids where every machine is the king of his own destiny and travels the Galaxy with their own kingdom of ships, seeking prosperity and their own fate within the void of space.

Mechanus_2.jpg

HK-36

[member="Damien Daemon"],

The only official standing is their code prohibiting making deals with the Sith as they are considered too destructive and untrustworthy, but that's due to the IC history Sparklords and HK have with them, in that their sole purpose was/is hunting them down. Other than that it would be probably different for each Lord and droid, HK for example is still bitter about the Jedi kicking him out from their temple in ages past, but I could see other droids being more willing to trust them. Generally it's probably indifference until it suits them to get involved with Force users.

They do have a sort of Force order equivalent called the Technomancers, I still haven't fleshed out lore for them in my head-canon so I haven't really talked about it, but it would be a group of droids, and non-Force using organics minority, who are all about using technology to emulate a Force-wielder's power, so grav gloves for telekinesis, hypno-gazers for mind tricks, ionic emitters for lightning, et cetera.

There is also the question of Shards, who are mostly Force-sensitive from what I remember, and I could see the Lords being split about them too, with half accepting them, keeping them around for their powers, or being open to a Shard becoming a Lord too, and the other half seeing them more as parasites who took over a droid's body to ride along through the Galaxy.

HK-36

[member="Darth Abyss"],

Organics can join as crewmen or just inhabitants of Kingdoms In The Void, unfortunately one of the requirements is to not be a total jerk.

And after Tython Abyss is considered "a total jerk". Also no Sith.

HK-36

[member="Darth Abyss"],

Different voids, yours is the depressing edgy void, mine just refers to deep space. Besides, get in line behind "Iron Lord" [member="Isamu Baelor"]

HK-36

[member="Darth Ophidia"],

Fortunately they usually move on pretty quickly to swearing vendetta on a younger, more attractive droid.

And thanks! My hope is we'll get some squabbling and petty conflicts going between Droid Lords like medieval European kingdoms and principalities, and a little PvE campaign against Space Mindflayer species I'm working on in the Unknown Regions if I'll get enough droid characters interested.

HK-36 said:
There is also the question of Shards, who are mostly Force-sensitive from what I remember, and I could see the Lords being split about them too, with half accepting them, keeping them around for their powers, or being open to a Shard becoming a Lord too, and the other half seeing them more as parasites who took over a droid's body to ride along through the Galaxy.
Racists.

HK-36

[member="Chip"],

The idea of a Force sensitive being coming along that could wipe out their minds and then just use their bodies as a puppet is pretty scary, but not to all of them as some droids like HK actively works with Shards like [member="K0VA"]

HK-36

[member="Amelia Sorenn-Syrush"],

I would imagine it's the same thing preventing them from creating a Skynet as it is keeping them from just raiding any planet they come across, organics are better organized and have more resources than droids, and they are more capable of teaming up together than droids, especially when they are facing such threat as an AI or a droid uprising, as evident during the Clockwork Rebellion event when that exact thing happened and the machines got their butts kicked.

So their general philosophy is to keep away from plots to overthrow organics and just do their own thing, just letting them destroy each other with their wars and conflicts and outlive them.

[member="Amelia Sorenn-Syrush"], [member="HK-36"]

Skynet is what Enyo's HRD creators want. Though they'd prefer to be in charge themselves rather than being beholden to the A.I. :d

I wonder how the Metal Lords would respond to Enyo since after an ongoing thread is completed, she'll be...even more mechanical than she already is. lol

HK-36

[member="Enyo Typhos"],

In general they would probably treat cyborgs as other organics, allowing them to come aboard and tag along with their fleets, and I could see cyborgs benefiting from spending time with them with upgrades, new tech, et cetera, plus if cyborg has enough mechanical parts on them they could probably pass up as a droid, kind of like a reverse HRD.

But a lot of it would be different between each Droid Lord, I would be open to them having meetings and moots where they just yell at each other and argue for hours about things like relations with cyborgs, Shards, Force users that are not Jedi or Sith, and whatever they would settle on in the end would change their standing towards them.

[member="Captain Larraq"],

That's Keldabe T3 Battleship, the Ship Lord of Get Inside Me Kingdom to you now!

[member="4ND-R0"],

The Metal Lords will always find resources to help their fellow droids, one of the tenets is to help each other thrive and give aid to a droid seeking to form his own Kingdom-Fleet.

Plus HK is notorious for being an unreliable narrator and changing history when he sees fit, it would be nice to balance it out with a dedicated archivist among them :p

[member="Satia"],

You should! I would need a bigger group to get it really off the ground, right now there four of us, including me and a writer currently on LOA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom