Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The Mercenary's Exodus

mcquarrie%2Bstar%2Bwars%2Bendor-0000.jpg

Objective: Leaving the Dawn
Tags: Marlon Sularen Marlon Sularen

d8lsjf0-262ab902-3b43-43ea-af76-eac00e518ca3.png

Kenth sat silently in his office. It was silent. Kenth hated silence, the voices crept back in. Rot. Death. Corruption. Rot. Death Corruption. Rot. Death. Corruption. repeated in his mind over and over again. He buried his head in his hands as the voices grew louder. "SILENCE!" he screamed aloud in his quarters and like that the voices dissipated. Kenth looked up, cautiously scanning his quarters as if someone, or something was in the room with him. There was nothing, nothing at all. He let out a deep sigh, a temporary respite.

Kenth looked back up to his desk at the data terminal that sat there. He was reading the minutes from a recent meeting with some of his top officers, a meeting that discussed their future in the Final Dawn. Kenth had shared with them what he heard at the Final Dawn Summit. His men had stayed loyal to him for years but Kenth knew like him they were being pushed to their limit. They weren't purists and cultists like the rest of the Dawn, but instead veterans clinging on to the past when days were better.

The destruction of Csilla, the war with the wider galaxy, the unleashing of Mawite savages across the core. It was something else entirely than what they believed in. The Adjudicators were at a tipping point and Kenth had made a decision. His commlink flashed and Kenth picked it up and spoke softly into it. "Kenth here." A coruscanti accent replied, which to Kenth recognized the ship's executive officer, Commander Argyle.

"Sir, your shuttle is ready. Sularen has been informed."
Kenth nodded and stood up and gave another weary look around at his quarters before leaving and heading to the hanger bay.

The journey over was silent and Kenth had arranged to meet the High Regent where Kenth's mercenary career all began, at Volik. He had already informed him in a brief note that he could no longer serve the Dawn but wanted to explain fully in person and iron out any details. He was a business man after all and Sularen had been a faithful client and ally.

As his ship touched down on the lush jungle floor Kenth looked around and breathed in the air, it hadn't changed at all since he first visited the planet with the Zweihander Union. Kenth walked forward and nodded to a squad of Adjudicator Security Troopers who had secured the area beforehand. The small Final Dawn staging post was still under construction meaning it was relatively abandoned save for the the fabrication droids. To Kenth it was the perfect place to hold the meeting, far from the internal politics of the Maw and a place that still held significance to him. Inside the half built command centre he waited for Sularen, staring out the large viewport which surveyed the forest around the base.

T H E_M E R C E N A R Y'S_E X O D U S

FINAL DAWN
VOLIK, UNKNOWN REGIONS

Sularen had feared this day would come, but then again considering Kenth Berik's stance and his inability to properly resolve the situation it was inevitable. The possibility of a Mawite Civil War was still high, with the only obstacles being Darth Mori and her Shadowhand Ptolemis. If both of them died simultaneously like Solipsis and Caelitus had, the Maw would be thrown into yet another power vacuum, and Berik wanted nothing to do with that. However despite this, Sularen atleast appreciated the fact that Berik had sought to discuss things with Sularen instead of just leaving him, like the Zweihander Union and Vel'alari had done before, turning their backs on Sularen without a word, denouncing him and undoing years of hard work. Berik himself had proven to be an extremely faithful ally, having had many opportunities to turn against Sularen, first with the Zweihander Union, then with Julius Haskler, but in the end he remained loyal to the High Regent.

Thus the
FDS Predator would arrive at Volik alone with Sularen's Shuttle soon emerging from the Main Ventral Hangar and heading towards the half-built Final Dawn Outpost on Volik. It would be the perfect location for such a meeting to avoid gaining the attention of other notorious Mawites. Sularen knew damn well that they would only see Kenth Berik's actions as "Treason" and want him dead for turning his back on the Maw. But Sularen was still a man of reason and always willing to compromise when possible. Plus he had managed to retain a healthy partnership with Haon Hafey when he left the Maw himself, and as such there remained the possibility for both Sularen and Berik to retain good ties even after Berik's departure from the Final Dawn, heck Sularen could still hire him for some jobs although it would have to take place far from the frontlines.

Soon enough, Sularen's shuttle would land within a small clearing in the lush jungles of Volik near the Outpost. Upon exiting the shuttle, Sularen accompanied by
Colonel Rackham and a small entourage of Raptor Commandos would make his way towards the Outpost to the half-completed Command Center where Berik awaited him, only entering with Rackham and leaving his Raptors in the hallways outside. "Ah, Kenth Berik. I received your note. It's quite unfortunate that we will have to part ways but i am willing to hear your perspective. Hopefully we can come to an arrangement that will leave us on good terms even after parting ways. After all i was able to do so with Haon Hafey when he left the Maw."

Tags | Kenth Berik Kenth Berik

Last edited:

Kenth watched as the High Regent's shuttle landed, as he shuffled out with his advisor Colonel Rackham and his retinue of bodyguards. As they walked towards the command centre Kenth turned to the Sularen as he spoke. "The Adjudicators set out to help the warlords of the core and outer rim preserve their territories, secure their worlds." he said before pausing. "I'm preserving what there is. The Final Dawn, wants a clean slate entirely to lay down the their ideals. Destroying Csilla, ravaging the core. That's not what I am." Even though they were both imperials, the difference in ideology contrasted greatly.

He turned to look back out to the forest once more. "That doesn't even cover the Sith." he said with contempt, raising his right hand to his brow and feeling the scar that ran across his face. "My men and I are leaving the Dawn. I can't continue fighting for something which..." he paused, looking for words. "Which scares me." he admitted plainly. There was nothing else to it. His head turned back to Sularen. "Out of respect, I will of course not disclose any details of missions or sensitive information. Navigation computers will be erased and documents burned." It was standard practice to keep client information confidently but it would also be in poor taste to betray Sularen after so long. Keeping such information would also make Kenth a target if discovered. The Maw as well as anyone fighting them would want their hands on it. It was far easier to get rid of it and feign ignorance.

"There is also the matter of my ship." he said. "It is a Final Dawn Ship and a very advanced one at that."

FINAL DAWN
VOLIK, UNKNOWN REGIONS

Sularen listened as Kenth Berik spoke, about how the Adjudicators had set out to support the Warlords of the Core and Outer Rim and how they had strayed from their objective by joining the Final Dawn which wanted to burn everything down and start anew rather then preserving what already existed. He then mentioned about the Sith and how he could not continue fighting for something which scared him and Sularen understood, the Sith were ruthless and unforgiving and it was only natural for Imperials like Kenth Berik to despise them, heck even Sularen did not trust them, the only reason he had joined the Maw was because he had no where else to go, cornered and isolated in a galaxy that wanted him dead or atleast in chains, joining the Maw had allowed Sularen to rebuild his powerbase although he still had alot of problems to deal with both internal and external.

Finally, Berik mentioned his ship which officially beloned to the Final Dawn, but nevertheless it wasn't of big concern, it was just one ship within a navy of thousands of vessels. "You can keep the Adjudicator, Berik. I have no issue with you and your men using it as your future base of operations across the galaxy, think of it as a parting gift." Sularen said in response. "In addition, i will hold on to that promise i made about protecting Carida when you first pledged yourselves to the Final Dawn. Even if the Maw is destructive as it is, Solipsis promised me the entirety of the Core Worlds, and even if Sith are not the type you can trust, not to mention the fact that Solipsis is dead, i still have enough contacts on Carida through Dorian Sevenar and enough Military Strength to ensure that if Carida falls at the hands of the Maw, there will be no massacre and that your homeworld will remain relatively unharmed." Sularen hoped that this would give some reassurance to Berik that they were still on the same page.

However there was still one thing that bothered Sularen, and that was the issue of Julius Haskler. If the man found out about Kenth Berik's departure from the Final Dawn, being the opportunist he was, he would most likely try to manipulate Berik into fully turning against Sularen even if they left on good terms just like he had done with Vel'alari and Paagarch. Haskler was a snake, and Sularen could simply not allow a former ally of his to join his greatest rival within the Imperial realm. "However there is a greater issue that bothers me in regards to your departure, and that problematic Imperial Diplomat known as Julius Haskler. I know you've met with him before and that is why I'd like to address my concerns regarding him with you now. I simply want to ensure that once we part ways, that will not find ourselves in opposite sides in the future. I have no desire to see my own men fire upon the very individuals who have faithfully served me for the better part of the last one and a half decade. I hope you can understand that"

Last edited:

The Caridian listened as Sularen spoke on the topic of the Adjudicator, Sularen happily parting ways for the ship was excellent news for the mercenary, he wouldn't have to return to crewing small picket ships. There of course would be the matter of fueling and supplying such an advanced warship of that size but he had no doubt he could work something out. Next the topic of Carida, his homeworld. It was in Alliance hands as of now but that didn't make him feel any less loyalty to the planet. News that the planet would be shielded from the Maw was a welcome one. "Thank you sir." he responded.

The next thing Sularen said caused one of Kenth's eyebrow's to perk up. Julius Haskler. He had been aware that the two had become rivals, vying for influence in the outer rim and beyond. Kenth allowed himself a slight smirk, everywhere Marlon went a new arch rival was there for him. He remembered to the distant past when he was fixated on a Chiss Admiral of the Sith Empire during his time in the Order. Or the Sith Lord ruler of the Zweihander Union. Ambitious men will always find someone to challenge them.

As Sularen finished speaking Kenth replied. "Who I shall serve after the Dawn I am not sure. I plan to go to the Outer Rim and begin looking for work there. But as some form of assurance, I don't plan on swearing fealty to any group anytime soon. Me and my men are returning to lives as mercenaries, that means smaller and shorter jobs for anyone who pays." he said before pausing.

"The large scale of Galactic warfare that occurs up here doesn't interest me. The potential for losses are too great and the demonization of either side means loss of future customers. You shouldn't need to worry about me interfering with affairs up here." he continued.

Kenth would need to lie low for a while and that was the way he planned to do it, giving services to isolated Imperial Warlords or helping train independent planets looking to instill some Imperial discipline in their defense force. Simple jobs to reestablish himself as a contractor and jobs that wouldn't put him on a hit list of major galactic powers. "Like you, Haskler has a long reach and I have no doubt he and many others will contact me to acquire my services. Like all clients I will see what they need then decide from there whether to take the contract or not. In the end the decision lies with me."

FINAL DAWN
VOLIK, UNKNOWN REGIONS

"Like you, Haskler has a long reach and I have no doubt he and many others will contact me to acquire my services. Like all clients I will see what they need then decide from there whether to take the contract or not. In the end the decision lies with me."
Sularen expected Kenth Berik to give a response like this. While this still left the possibility of him accepting future jobs from Haskler, Sularen wasn't really in a position to prevent such, that is if he still sought to retain good ties with Kenth Berik which was his ultimate objective. After all even if Kenth Berik left the Final Dawn, there still remained the possibility of him working with the Final Dawn in distant operations far from the main frontlines of the Second Great Hyperspace War as a Mercenary Group and not an integral part of the Final Dawn. "I perfectly understand what you mean. After all this is your business not mine. In the end all i want is for us to remain on good terms in the long run."

Thus with the issue of the FDS Adjudicator, Carida and Julius Haskler dealt with, Sularen moved forth to immediately tackle the next major issue that had to be discussed : Finding a suitable replacement for Kenth Berik and his Adjudicators which frankly would already be a hard task given the reputation of the Final Dawn. The only reason Sularen was able to get Kenth Berik to join the Final Dawn was due to their prior relationship, in other circumstances Berik would have outright refused and most likely sided with Julius Haskler in further undermining Sularen.

"However there is one other major issue that is left, and that the void that would be left by you within the Final Dawn's hierarchy."You and your men have proven themselves many times to be invaluable members of the Final Dawn, with the Adjudicators being one of the most effective forces within the Final Dawn Military. Your departure will leave an empty void behind, not to mention many others will question why i easily let go of such an invaluable asset. I have no intentions on forcing you to remain within the Final Dawn, but finding someone as capable and effective as you, will be extremely difficult. I do hope you understand what i mean"

Tag | Kenth Berik Kenth Berik

Good terms. In a galaxy with so many wanting nothing more to see the High Regent's head on a platter Kenth was not surprised that Sularen didn't want anymore enemies. He would now need more allies, which the man spoke about next. The Final Dawn was in a critical stage, the danger from the wider Maw threatened its position as the guiding hand. He wouldn't just need Allies, he'd need people far more devoted than Kenth ever was. "Unfortunately none of my men wish to stay behind to take over where I left. My connections outside the Maw have noted a real lack of sympathy from independent Warlords as well." he said referring to Vandar Tarkin and others of his ilk.

"However." Kenth said before pausing. "There is one individual I know who has some potential." he had prepared for this matter. If he wanted to put the Final Dawn behind him Kenth would need to be replaced by someone equally as capable, then the dependence on him and his men to complete contracts would dwindle. Kenth pulled out a data puck and switched it on, soon the image of a Chiss officer with an impatient look on his face was displayed. "This is Vaun. I first met him in my stint with the Zweihander Union. His file indicates he has certainly changed since I last met him but he was a skilled Naval planner and logistician." He stated.

"I tracked where he was and he is currently serving in the Dawn, overseeing slaves used in construction." he said before offering the puck to Sularen. "Everything you need to know about the man is in there. I'm sure you have enough influence to have him transferred to where you need him." Kenth finished. He hoped this was enough to satisfy Marlon.

FINAL DAWN
VOLIK, UNKNOWN REGIONS

"Unfortunately none of my men wish to stay behind to take over where I left. My connections outside the Maw have noted a real lack of sympathy from independent Warlords as well."
Kenth Berik did make a point in his statement. His Adjudicators were loyal to him and not Sularen, not to mention that the only reason they had willingly served within the Final Dawn was because of Berik's Loyalty to Sularen, they were only loyal by proxy. The mention of the Independent Warlords also reminded Sularen of Vandar Tarkin and the many Warlords of the Galactic South, individuals who had the audacity to humiliate the High Regent. They now laid in bed with the Empire, reduced to nothing more but puppets of Julius Haskler, they were anything but Independent, they were merely Pawns in a larger game. It was a shame, those Warlords could have been valuable allies, but like many before them they had chosen to forsaken Sularen based on assumptions rather then proper understanding. They weren't like Berik, hence the difficulty in replacing him with someone who was both effective and capable but also was resonable and understanding.

Nevertheless, Berik spoke of an individual whom he thought would meet Sularen's expectations as a potential replacement. He then took out a Datapuck and switched it on revealing the image of a Chiss Officer he later identified as Vaun. A Former Officer of the Zweihander Union and according to Kenth Berik, a skilled Naval planner and logistician. Berik did mention that Vaun already worked for the Final Dawn largely overseeing the usage of slaves in infrastructural projects. It was rare for Chiss to serve the Final Dawn, as many of them had become opponents of the Brotherhood of the Maw after the destruction of Csilla including Sularen's former ally Vel'alari.

Sularen had alot of respect for the Chiss and had long sought to enlist the aid of many Chiss Officers through Vel'alari as part of his plans to take over the Core, but Csilla and the overall repuation of the Maw made that impossible although still a few Chiss would eventually come to serve the Final Dawn, such as Tharn, a former Admiral in the Sith-Imperial Armada and now Vaun who formerly served the Zweihander Union. Regardless Vaun would be a sufficient candidate as Kenth Berik's replacement and potentially as Sularen's Right-Hand, considering both Aldo Garrick and Xuan Vo never really answered his summons and only showed up for major battles.

Taking the puck, Berik offered him Sularen smiled. "It's quite rare for a Chiss to serve the Final Dawn, although i guess this will be sufficient if what you say about him is still true." Sularen said in response. "Is there anything else you'd like to discuss? I've already covered the main issues that i sought to address when coming here in the first place." he asked. Now that Sularen had addressed his concerns to Berik it was only fear that he let the man speak about any other issues that still lingered in his mind before they part ways.

Tag | Kenth Berik Kenth Berik

The mercenary listened as Sularen spoke on his replacement. It was true, a Chiss serving in any capacity for the Maw was exceedingly rare. They had to either hate their own kind or were completely mad. Maybe a bit of both. "A man who chooses to forsake his own people to serve a higher power. Surely that's the loyalty you're looking for?" Kenth said. Regardless that was all Kenth had to offer.

As Sularen finished his words Kenth nodded his head slightly. It was almost a bittersweet feeling, finally he'd be free to roam the galaxy again on his own terms but he'd be leaving behind a man he had served for more than a decade. He knew though, it was the right thing to do, for himself and his men. He looked to Sularen with weary eyes and spoke once more. "That is all sir." was all he said and gave a half salute, characteristic of the mercenary.

FINAL DAWN
VOLIK, UNKNOWN REGIONS

"That is all sir."
That was Kenth Berik's response to Sularen's questions in regards to whether he had more stuff to bring forth. With that response, their meeting had come to an end as there was nothing left to further discuss with all the main topics covered. Atleast Sularen would have a suitable replacement for Berik within the Final Dawn and could retain positive ties with him and his Mercenary Company. If only the success he had achieved with Berik and Hafey could be replicated on a larger scale with other individuals and groups whom he had bad blood with. So far only those two men, had Sularen's Full Respect and Appreciation having sought to reason to and reach an understanding with Sularen before they left him rather then leave him or kick him out with contempt.

As Kenth Berik saluted, Sularen responded with a Final Dawn salute of his own before smiling and proceeding to speak once more. "I guess this meeting is concluded. I do hope, that we can remain on good terms even with your departure Berik. After all there still remains the potential of us occasionally working together in the near-future just like how i maintained my partnership with Hafey but of-course kept him at a considerable distance from the main War. Nevertheless i do hope you and your men find great success in any future endeavours across the galaxy, Berik." Sularen said. Upon finishing he offered his left hand for a handshake with Berik before he could leave the area and return to his duties as High Regent of the Final Dawn

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom