Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question The fine difference between designations

Open to anyone to be answered via theorem, or citable fact. The answer will be used to fine tune the building of this character.

Inquiry: What is the Difference between a Sith Lord, and a Dark Jedi Master?

(Edit: My initial thought would be nothing but one is committed to an organization, whereas the latter operates as a lone entity. I would love some feedback from some lore buffs however)

The difference, as I understand it, is primarily in code and tradition.

A Dark Jedi is a Jedi who has fallen to the dark side, or in some cases just a practitioner of the dark. A Sith is someone who adheres to the Sith Code as well as various Sith traditions and such. It's more about beliefs and methods than the Force itself.

The difference, as I understand it, is primarily in code and tradition.

A Dark Jedi is a Jedi who has fallen to the dark side, or in some cases just a practitioner of the dark. A Sith is someone who adheres to the Sith Code as well as various Sith traditions and such. It's more about beliefs and methods than the Force itself.
So even with the word Jedi being used, one doesn't necessarily have to be a fallen Jedi to be considered one?

So even with the word Jedi being used, one doesn't necessarily have to be a fallen Jedi to be considered one?

The way I see it is the term "Dark Jedi" was largely coined by early Jedi and continues use by those groups or peoples who don't see the 'Sith' as a separate thing to the Jedi. So, in this instance, the Sith in question is not a 'Sith' but a 'Dark Jedi'. Since the person who would be speaking or using the term would, usually, either be using it due to not considering the Sith as separate OR just using it as almost common slang.

Whereas calling someone a 'Sith Lord' is to recognize and accept the Sith as an entirely separate group, and denote an individual of high standing by calling them a 'Lord'.

There's my two cents.

The way I see it is the term "Dark Jedi" was largely coined by early Jedi and continues use by those groups or peoples who don't see the 'Sith' as a separate thing to the Jedi. So, in this instance, the Sith in question is not a 'Sith' but a 'Dark Jedi'. Since the person who would be speaking or using the term would, usually, either be using it due to not considering the Sith as separate OR just using it as almost common slang.

Whereas calling someone a 'Sith Lord' is to recognize and accept the Sith as an entirely separate group, and denote an individual of high standing by calling them a 'Lord'.

There's my two cents.
I wasn't too far off then, thanks! That does help though, what you mentioned about it mainly being used by Jedi. Almost like when Qui-Gon mentioned Maul being trained in the "Dark Arts" instead of calling him a Sith. I think I get it.

As with so much else, Chaos blurs the lines between Sith and Dark Jedi even more than elsewhere. Canonically (Legends-wise, at least), Sith have distinct teachings and skills - typically kept secret and only taught to Sith apprentices - while Dark Jedi are Dark Side practitioners. Despite the name they do not have to be fallen Jedi.

Most of Emperor Palpatine's Force agents such as Inquisitors, Emperor's Hands, etc. would fall under the category of Dark Jedi for instance, while only Darth Vader would be called a Sith.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom