Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The Crown

ACS Xiaolang
Atrisian Royal Exploration Corps
Colonies Region

Captain's Log, supplemental.

The Xiaolang has completed our survey of the Qixoni Nebula. Initial reports from our scans of sector two-eight-besh-nine-seven suggests the collapse of a binary star. That should prove quite fascinating, but we're not equipped for close stellar observation. The Sarnoi has been requested to take the lead on that study.

In the meantime, we are proceeding toward Tallaan, where we'll be able to join the Shapani Bypass toward the Giju Run. We're due for crew rotation and I expect a number of our cosmologists will want to join the Sarnoi expedition. For myself, I'm hoping to have the opportunity to take some shore leave. Junko Ike Junko Ike mentioned a trade show out at Yamatai. I can only imagine the damage she could inflict with the credit card there.

hZFxlpS.png

[ obligatory post theme ]​
The Atrisian was seated in the center of the bridge.

Part of him already missed it. Surrounded by nebula. New information trickling in from the com-scan. Stars dying. Stars being born. There had been something new almost everytime that he'd turned around.

By contrast, hyperspace transit was boring for its consistency.

"Commander, we're receiving a transmission from Atrisia."

Glancing over toward the technician, the prince recovered from his surprise to ask, "Holoprojector or audio recording?"

"It's a live transmission, sir," the technician responded. Then, the woman seemed to frown. When she'd looked back his way again, she added, "It's The Firm, sir."

The Atrisian sat up a little straighter in the chair. It was a singular moment in which, whether real or his own subconscious gnawing at him, Shoma was aware that suddenly every pair of eyes on the bridge was on him.

Not because he was the captain of the ship, but because he was the crown prince.

"Ah," he uttered after an awkward silence.

And it was a live transmission. So someone was waiting for him. Drawing in a deep breath, the prince shifted uncomfortably in his chair for a moment, before he finally rose to his feet.

Out here, he felt like he had so much freedom. Now, suddenly, everything felt rehearsed. He would answer it, of course. Because he was expected to.

And he would turn over the bridge now, because he was expected to. Glancing over at the Rodian scientist only an arm's length away, the prince uttered the obligatory, "Lieutenant, you have the conn."

Straightening the front of his uniform, Shoma then turned and stepped away.

...just like one day he would step away from all of this, to become what he must.

Reflecting on that, he wondered what it had been like for the previous Emperor. What kind of life had he had as prince rather than emperor? What life had he been made to step away from, so that he could step instead into the role that had been cast for him by sheer randomness of birth?

He'd hoped that it was Junko. Or perhaps their mother.

Hell, he'd have preferred the Emperor himself over the man who appeared.

Jun Taoji. The royal secretary. The man behind the crown.

The man who single-handedly ran The Firm.

"Your Highness, I trust that things are well."

Shoma gave a slight bow in reply to the hologram, but found he had no desire for pleasantries. "I get the sense that this isn't a social call, Mister Taoji," the prince remarked in a matter-of-fact tone. "My ship is due to dock at Atrisia in five days. I presume you're calling because you have other plans for us."

"For you, specifically."

The prince's eyes came up, as if in warning. The Firm might make a distinction there. Shoma did not.

"Details of a state visit to New Cov are being downloaded to your terminal now," the royal secretary supplied in his usual, dry manner. "If you like, we can have the Dragon's Fang rendezvous with you at Tallaan."

Shoma had started to peer at the data being transferred, but stopped to shoot another glare at the man.

"We believe the Dragon's Fang would make... a better impression for the visit."

Folding his arms down on the table, Shoma tried to keep his tone neutral as he answered. "Unless the Emperor is relieving me of my commission, then the Xiaolang is my command. And I would hope that Atrisia values all of the ships that fly its flag,"

He could see the secretary debating whether or not he wanted to pick this battle with the prince. If nothing else, as a reminder of which of them had the power. Not a clash that Shoma had much chance of winning, but that never stopped him from picking a fight before.

Whatever the case, Taoji seemed to relent as he answered simply, "As you wish."

Shoma exhaled softly. Small victories, he supposed. Glancing back up at the hologram, the prince asked, "Is there anything else, Mister Taoji?"

"That will be all," the royal secretary replied, giving the obligatory bow.

Just before the transmission ended, the man added an ominous, "For now."

Drawing in a deep breath, the prince tried not to think too much into that last remark. Besides, he had more pressing matters. Such as reading up on New Cov.

As he did, Shoma tapped a panel recessed into the top of the desk.

After a moment, he heard: "Bridge here, Commander."

"I'm afraid we're now on detached duty," Shoma stated. Given that the bridge new that the call had been from the Royal Family, that likely was not a surprise.

"Take us out of hyperspace and then plot a course to New Cov. It's in the Mid Rim, on the Corellian Run. Plot an intercept for the hyperlane as best you can, then ask engineering to make best speed."

"It will be done, sir."

Downloading the information sent to him to a datapad, Shoma leaned back in his chair as he started to read over the details.

Through the window, the mottled blue-white sea of hyperspace suddenly faded to black as stars re-appeared.

Then, a moment later, those stars began to lengthen, as the ship made another jump to hyperspace.

A Prince is coming. Royalty! My staff helped me to get dressed in one of my finest as my Mother had instructed. I needed help with my make-up as always to be sure that the colors were perfect. There had been a few times upon which I had tried to apply it all myself, however the giggles by the staff that soon followed was enough to let me be aware that I had gotten the colors mixed up. My Mother does not approve of labels to help me with my color-blindness. I sometimes wonder if that keeps me more reliant on her and the staff. Yet it is also to save me the embarrassment of looking like a crazy clown to the upper echelons of society.

Speaking of which, I sm not the only one that is getting prepared. The Drawing Room, the Banquet Hall; all of it was getting dusted, cleaned, polished and decorated for the Royal visit. I am not entirely sure of how long it has been since Royalty had last visited New Cov. It certainly has not been in my lifetime. There is no Monarchy on New Cov. If anything our Board of Directors was as Royal as one could get. I am not a member myself, but I am the daughter of two senior members, which is in and of itself pretty close! I am tasked with being New Cov and NCBC's Representative, which is a starting point to see if I am worthy of membership. So far I believe that my efforts have been putting me in good standing. Both of my parents have been informing me of such in their own unique ways. My Father would grade and make notes on my progress reports, while my Mother would increase the size of my wardrobe and be sure that my duties do not intrude upon my lessons. And I am reminded that it all will benefit my prospects of finding a good husband.

Royalty is beyond my station, but politicians are not. And who else would know a lot of politicians but a Royal? There is much for me to gain here, as well as New Cov. And I could not be as nervous as I am excited.

I exit my apartment and with hurried steps I find my way quickly to the drawing room where we shall meet. The passcodes to open the vents so that our guests can enter the biodome protecting Ilic are sure to be passon on once their ship is in orbit. And from there it is just a short ride via taxi. I find myself heading straight to one of the windows to watch, much like an eager child awaiting a present. I wonder what this Royal will be like?

Tag: Shoma Ike Shoma Ike

ACS Xiaolang
In orbit of New Cov

The Atrisian stood looking at his reflection in the mirror.

Atrisia had long been an Imperial world. Military uniforms worn by members of the royal family had been customary, if not expected. It made them look like dictators in the old holo-footage, at least in Shoma's mind. So he kept a few outfits on board so that, when duty called, he had options aside from his Royal Navy uniform for wear in public appearances.

Helped to better distance his identity as a member of the royal family from his career as a naval officer -- even if he was ever conscious of the fact that it was The Firm and not the Royal Navy that guided his career. In due course, he'd be promoted to captain and then given command of a larger ship as befitting that rank. They'd likely push for him to take the Dragon's Fang, or one of the other star destroyers. But he would try to keep command of a science vessel.

At least for as long as he was titled Prince of Xiaolang, he had the benefit of being the royal sponsor for the Exploration Corps. That at least gave him some leverage for commanding a science vessel.

Not that he expected to have much leverage. When he'd been a boy, he'd been a cadet aboard a science vessel because The Firm had decided it, not him. A role that would prepare him for later. And then it was The Firm that had decided he would be the junior representative in the Galactic Senate for Atrisia, in order to build his credibility with the public.

The Firm had decided when Shoma would trade his political role for a more military one. But, like any other role, it would be what The Firm required it to be.

He was trying to go over some of the finer details to refresh himself on the shuttle ride down to the planet. He was meeting with a Liin Terallo Liin Terallo , who seemed to represent the interests of a biomolecule company. He'd been doing this long enough to be able to start to piece together why. Atrisia's companies could likely benefit from trade with New Cov, and this Miss Terallo seemed like an up-and-coming contact.

He left the datapad behind as he exited the shuttle. As expected, he was met by the flash of holocams, as journalists framed the path that would lead him inside to where he was meeting with Miss Terallo. Pausing for the obligatory photo, the prince was mindful to bow in acknowledgment of either side flanking his path, before he continued onward.

Striding inside, Shoma found himself ushered to a drawing room.

As he stepped inside, the Atrisian's eyes immediately keyed on the woman that he'd expected to meet. "Miss Terallo," the prince remarked in greeting, giving a formal bow to her. After he straightened back up, he finished the introduction.

"Shoma of Atrisia. On behalf of the Commonwealth, allow me to express our gratitude for meeting with me."

I watch from high above as a taxi comes into view. It surely has to be the Prince for the media are there snapping their pictures for the holofeeds.

Quickly I check on my appearance in my reflection on the glass window. I look beautiful as always. My Mother will not have it any other way. She tells me to always take pride in my appearance, and I do. Afterall, I am a Lady of good standing.

I smile warmly as the young Prince arrives to the drawing room. As he bows, I respond with a curtsy in kind. His features appear as though he is nearly half my age, yet his demeanor displays a maturity well beyond his years. I am quite certain that he has seen much more of the Galaxy than I have. And his respectful manners depict proper training. It is lovely to note that people with Darth Temerant Darth Temerant 's demeanor are few and far between."

"The honor is ours, Your Grace. Welcome to New Cov. We have a fine lunch being prepared for you. I trust that your journey here was a pleasant one?" I do not wish to bombard him with questions and present myself as some giddy fool. I keep myself poised and graceful. Even my heart rate is calm. Today is sure to be a wonderful day.

Her questions were almost anticipated.

Not that such was a bad thing. Breaking the ice was always the awkward part of any first meeting. Diplomats and politicians just learned to sort of muddle through, usually by having a short list of ready questions that fit almost any occasion. Not the least of which was...

"I trust that your journey here was a pleasant one?"

"Quite," the prince supplied. Perhaps that was perfunctory, but the answer was no less genuine. Once his ship had passed onto the Corellian hyperlane, it had been very smooth indeed. Hardly any need for navigational checks or diligently verifying astronautical coordinates. The super highway in space made it quite easy to traverse.

On that note, the prince noted, "Your location on the Corellian Run must bring you all manner of visitors." Pausing, the Atrisian gestured toward one of the windows in the room as he added, "Your planet is so vibrant and beautiful, that I imagine you get no small amount of tourism as well."

And dealing in biomolecules certainly encouraged it.

Shoma was still quite certain that's why The Firm had sent him this way in the first place. But, he would let her address the general question before he delved into economics.

I smile as the young Royal entertains my question with a brief answer. From his demeanor I can gleem the notion that he is the type to keep mostly to himself. I can relate to that for I am not a big chatterbox myself. Silence does not make me uncomfortable. Instead it can at times bring about a sense of relief.

I dip my head in acknowledgement as he illustrates one aspect of what draws people to New Cov. The beauty of the planet was not quite one of them, however. At least as far as I can tell. Still, I lead him over to the window overlooking the jungle for the two of us to gaze out of.

"The jungles are not safe for tourism, Your Grace. These biodomes are here to keep us all protected. In it's past New Cov had often been raided for it's biomolecules that have been harvested. Although thankfully the numerous wars taking place all over the Galaxy have kept the raiders from looking in our direction. There have not been any raids in my lifetime. I just hope that that luck continues. Yet in case that hope is merely a dream, we are working on increasing New Cov's defence. Afterall, we fully understand that any aid might not come in time, if at all." Allies were known to switch sides if it suited their interest. History have shown it happen repeatidly.

"Fascinating," Shoma remarked, as he listened intently.

Now his curiosity was piqued not as a politician, but as a scientist.

He'd assumed that the biodome was a defensive strategy, but he'd assumed it was either intended as part of climate regulation or as a protection against orbital bombardment. That it divided them for security from the planet's jungle put a rather curious spin on things. "As I understand it, the flora of your world is the source of the biomolecules you harvest," the prince remarked, as he thought back over the notes that he'd read on the way down. "To think that such a resource would also be so dangerous..."

Quite the double-edged sword.

As the conversation worked its way around to defense, the prince noted simply, "Diplomacy on an interplanetary scale is certainly never boring."

Originally, his intent had been to lead the conversation to discussion about the planet's trade with biomolecules, but her tone and the change in topic seemed to guide them along a different path for the time being.

"If there is anything that the Atrisian Commonwealth might offer to aid in your defense, I am certain that a beneficial arrangement to us both could be arranged," Shoma noted. Presumably knocking on a door, and then seeing where that might lead them.

"But, you mentioned lunch. Perhaps we should continue our discussion over a meal?"

Perhaps it is a rather unique situation for us to have to protect our cities from the jungles. However the jungles here are unlike any others. At times they seem sentient. I have heard the stories enough and even witnessed it first hand once. Stone and steel is our refuge from them. There might be a day in the centuries ahead where they learn how to conquer that too. But until then, we are safe.

The young Royal suggests some sort of defensive arrangement between his Commonwealth and New Cov can be made and I hope that there is some measure of weight behind it. "Thank you, Your Grace. I am certain that the Board of Directors will be glad to hear of your interest in that."

The conversation switches to the up and coming meal that I had told him was being prepared. I am quite certain that his journey has made him hungry and who knows what time of day it felt like to him after his travels. "Yes of course, Your Grace. Right this way, please." I gesture for him to follow me, leading him away from the window and out of the drawing room.

Already the smells of the delicious foods being prepared on the floor beneath us carries in the air. It is to the banquet hall that I take us. The tall double doors are opened by the staff revealing a long table of polished marble. Two table settings were prepared for them in the middle of the table as opposed to the opposite ends. The high end chairs are cushioned and comfortable. A dumbwaiter is utilized by the staff to bring up the various foods that rest under domes of their own.

"It appears as though we have arrived right on time." I wait for him to pick a seat before I take the opposite. I pick up a napkin and unfold it before laying it across my lap. One of the staff pours me a glass of white wine. He pauses and I sense his hesitation. Our guest might be too young for that. "What is it that you like to drink with your meals, Your Grace?" The last thing that I need is to get into trouble for serving him something that he is not allowed to have.

"What is it that you like to drink with your meals, Your Grace?"

The urge to ask for her to address him as just Shoma was eating away at him.

He hadn't signed onto the exploration corps and sailed a million lightyears away from Atrisia to be so casually, or repeatedly, reminded of the randomness of his birth. And, yet, by whatever random chance, coincidence, or blind luck had it, he would be the next emperor. No matter how inconvenient that truth may have been for him personally.

He'd say professionally as well, but for the fact that royal privilege had almost certainly gotten him the job that he had now.

So tact and training held his tongue. Instead, with a smile, the twenty-something Atrisian merely mustered a sense of grace as he answered, "Wine will be fine. Thank you."

With luck, it would be a strong wine. He could go for a glass of that.

Admiring the table setting and the room, he glanced around a moment before he offered, "Your hospitality is most gracious." As his eyes settled back on Miss Terallo, he opted to try and open the aperture of their dialogue.

"You have been very attentive to my questions about your forest, your industry. Are there any questions that you have for me? Anything that the Commonwealth can offer?"

A glass of wine is poured for him. Other staff bring the domed platters to the table and lift the lids. Heat escapes in layers of steam. There is a wide assortment of meats, vegetables and grains. I wait for him to start before I begin to fill my plate with small portions of each.

I smile in thanks at the compliment. I was performing my duty well thus far and I can only guess that my parents will be beaming with pride once they get my report.

He poses a question before me upon which I am sure to answer before I start to eat. "You spoke of the Commonwealth helping in our defense. Would that involve the purchase of ships and the training of how to operate them at the best of their ability? Or perhaps weapons and shields to combat against raids and invasions? I believe that the Board of Directors would be happy with either one."

Anything to help keep New Cov safe was welcome. And should a superpower come to lay claim to New Cov, we at least needed a chance to refuse if we felt it best and have that refusal hold some weight. The jungles will do their part. Of that I am confident and assured.

The prince picked up his glass of wine.

A reasonable question. Swirling the liquid in the glass for a moment, the Atrisian took a light sip and appeared to savor the wine for a moment as he mulled over how best to answer. The answer was yes, but also there seemed many more possibilities that were open at this stage of the relationship. "That's really up to you and what you -- and the Board of Directors -- feel would be best for your world," he answered finally.

Setting the wine glass aside, he picked up his silverware. Pausing a moment, he added, "Both are possible, or either. As well as scientific exchange programs or even trade partnerships," the Atrisian remarked, using the opportunity to broach additional avenues that might create connections between their worlds, as well as the Alliance.

Of course, the Rimward Trade League was also growing its economic status, so it wasn't as if New Cov didn't have other options for economic ties. But Shoma was here to wave the flag. So wave it he would.

Taking a bite of his food, the prince was quiet for a moment, before washing it down with another sip of wine.

"As members of the Galactic Alliance, we could assist with the import of goods from New Cov. Perhaps help negotiate terms with the Corellian Confederation that would avoid the usual tariffs or embargoes on imports."

Glancing up from his plate, the prince regarded his host as he waited to see which of the proverbial doors she might knock upon. Which avenues she might pursue, and which she might not.

All are best for New Cov. Yet I know that the odds of one providing everything was slim to nil. And even that would come at a price. So I have to choose wisely when it comes to which choice to make.

"I believe that updating our small fleet will be a great start." A proper escort for our biomolecules shipments is sure to be required in the near future. Most especially once their popularity grows. However I know that certain customers have offered escorts of their own for their shipments.

The Prince hints at what being a part of the Galactic Alliance can entail in regards to economic benefits for New Cov. Our customer base is very wide in range, crossing over a variety of spectrums. That could change if New Cov loses it's neutral status, thereby breaking a number of high paying contracts. Plus the extra perks that come with them.

"We have a monopoly on biomolecules given that we are the only source for them. I am confident that the Board of Directors can use that as leverage in regards to tariffs and import fees, as has been done in the past." I pick up my glass and have a sip. "But I will mention your suggestion to them, regardless." Indeed I will be putting everything in my report for them. Many of my reports are similar in nature, yet there is always an element of surprise that I put forth in each of them to help make them stand out. It is not as though there is any competition to possibly block me from gaining membership, however I still have to perform at my best.

"Are the wars calming down at all out there? One cannot always believe what is said on the holo-news."

"I believe that updating our small fleet will be a great start."

The prince gave a slight bow of his head. "A wise precaution," he noted simply. And one which might not put too high a demand on their populace to staff, if the ships were both stronger and more automated. He suspected Junko Ike Junko Ike would have some thoughts. Certainly more comprehensive than his, as he tended to only pay attention to the science vessels. "My sister, the Princess Royal, can likely better advise you in that respect. She's much more in tune with the technical aspects of our fleet than I am. If you like, I can arrange for her to visit... but I'd recommend giving your shop owners a word of warning in advance. My sister can be quite... voracious. Particularly when it comes to shoes and purses."

Taking a sip of his wine, the Atrisian added, "We sent her to do one of these visits, and she bought everything short of the planet itself." As one does when one is a princess, apparently.

He stayed quiet when she made the point about New Cov holding a monopoly. The problem he saw was the nature of the Alliance itself. So many competing interests tended to breed no small amount of greed. The Corellian Confederation would almost certainly want a cut for itself. The Duros were likely to make a claim as well. And that was in addition to the regulatory fees assessed by the Alliance at the federal level.

By the time anything from New Cov made it from the Corellian Run to Atrisia, it would likely be marked up by the Alliance, the Corellians, the Duros, and however many other hands it had touched. And then, leaving Atrisia for the Giju Run would mean the Herglics wanting a cut. The bill would just keep adding up each time it touched another shipping lane.

"Are the wars calming down at all out there? One cannot always believe what is said on the holo-news."

Ah, a change of subject.

Probably for the best.

Swirling the wine in his glass, the prince opted to be candid here. "The official line is that we are now in an era of peace," he remarked in a matter-of-fact tone that made clear his own opinion was separate from that of the Alliance.

"However, the Rimward Trade League recently reported a hostile encounter with a military force. And there are rumors emerging of the Kathol Republic coming under attack," he commented, sharing more the reasons for his opinion rather than the opinion itself.

Much like Liin Terallo Liin Terallo , Shoma was interested in upgrading the Exploration Corps small fleet. While the end of the Maw may have quieted things in the Core Worlds, it seemed that conflict in the Outer Rim may be getting ready to explode.

My eyebrows raise in surprise at the mention of the Princess Royal buying everything. I smile in amusement at the thought. It is true that retail therapy is a thing, for I have used it myself from time to time. But to buy everything? I do not have the space or the funds for such a thing.

I have a small bit to eat as he remarks on what the official line is in regards to the state of peace in the Galaxy. Official lines are never to be believed. It is all just propaganda and rhetoric to appease the populace and boost their approval ratings. Some people like myself see right through it while others choose not to.

I choose to see the truth.

"At least the larger conflicts are out of the way for the moment. But sometimes the smaller ones can hit just as hard. It is my hope that New Cov will be spared from that. Outside of conflict with raiders, the Covie have not been exposed to war." And with the deals that I have been making, I can only hope that it helps to protect us from becoming a battleground. Allies are found in the strangest of places sometimes and in the strangest of circumstances. But then again so are enemies. I have yet to give anyone reason to betray me. However I am still cautious of it.

"Do you travel often, Your Grace? I have only just begun to leave New Cov for short trips to the Core. I do hope that I can travel beyond that from time to time. There is so much to see."

Travel?

"Yes, actually," the Atrisian answered, with a smile that could be heard in his tone.

"Since I inherited the title of Prince of Xiaolang, I've been the royal sponsor of Atrisia's Exploration Corps," the prince remarked. Then added, "I was apprenticed as a cadet aboard a deep space explorer starting when I was thirteen."

Equally one of the most challenging and frightening times of his life. And he was certain that he wouldn't trade the experience for anything. "In retrospect, one of the highlights is that I got to see Csilla before it was destroyed," Shoma supplied, with a tinge of sadness. How much had been lost when Csilla had been destroyed? How many irreplaceable aspects of civilization, culture, or history? Shifting tone just slightly, he seemed almost pensive as he continued. "But then when I was seventeen, I was placed as the junior representative to the Galactic Senate in order to give me more public exposure and prepare me for governance."

He paused to take another sip of wine.

"After six years, including work as chairman of the Senate Education Committee, I asked to step back from politics." Honestly, six years on Coruscant was about two years too many. But the Firm had finally relented at that point. "I was placed back with the Exploration Corps."

He cut into his meal, enjoying a bite before he continued. "The Princess Royal probably travels even more than I do," Shoma remarked, again referring to Junko Ike Junko Ike "She's viewed as our ambassador-at-large."

He'd thought to ask if there was anywhere in particular that she fancied traveling to, but instead opted to leave it at an open invitation. "Perhaps some time you'll be able to join me on my ship. Exploring the wonders of the universe can actually be a bit boring for some, but I've always been fascinated at learning how the universe functions."

{{Apologies for the delay in my response. My work has kept me away from writing as of late}}

I listen intently as he speaks. I watch him but do not stare. The prepared dishes are lovely as always and really enjoyable. And with the Prince speaking, I am able to eat from my plate as I await the perfect moment to rejoin the conversation.

I had aspired to see about joining the Galactic Senate as well, but now I am not so sure. So far I have heard of more criticism about the government body, including from it's own members, than I have heard of any praise. That does not bode well for membership. Most especially for someone so virtually unknown like myself. My voice and my words would easily be brushed off and ignored like raindrops falling on an ocean world.

An offer to explore the Galaxy has been given and I cannot help but brighten up at the prospect. Although I am not given any days off, such an adventure can be spun into something that the Board of Directors can get behind.

"I think that I shall like that very much. I would need to bring members of my own staff to accompany me, if that will be alright. The Board of Directors are very keen in not having me on my own." It is not that they do not trust me, but moreso in that they do not trust others. There has already been one kidnapping attempt on me thus far. To believe that there would not be another in the future is very naive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom