Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Council of the Hand

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Ahani Najwa"]'s torrent of performance art might as well have been water off a rock for all that Ashin's face, posture, or Force presence shifted. This put her in mind of half a dozen she'd worked with in a variety of contexts. This really would be the old days, with all that implied. All the discomfort to her conscience, all the compromises and knife-edges walked, in bed with all the wrong people. All the outraged heroes.

They'd had their chance, they'd failed.

"A drop of your blood? I believe she does -- when Admiral Xextos told me his history, I made some inquiries. I'm told that one of Spencer's two million ancestors in the last eight hundred years was, in fact, one of your children. I wish Dathomiri witches kept accurate genealogies, or something equally interesting might have come from the other side of her family. Sadly, that was not the case. Excuse me."

She broke away from the Inquisitor and made her way to the quiet young woman in the black dress. [member="Spencer Jacobs"] -- probably the most powerful and best-educated Forcer in the room, pound for pound. "The lip bite? Really?" Ashin murmured, sotto voce. "I could barely balance exponential progression with pedigree collapse for your grandmother -- no, not Val'Ryss. One of these days I'll tell a selection of aristos that I'm a direct descendant of nothing but florists, and watch them look at me like my blood's half mud. And don't think I'm not tempted. It's been eleven hours."

The closeness was welcomed and Spencer smirked as Ashin muttered about her lip bitting additive to her look. Red painted lips broke into a grin as she leaned closer to Ashin as they whispered between each other. The mention of her grandmother, Spencer quickly automatically assumed the Dathomiri Witch, but it seemed there was another. Glancing towards the Inquisitor from the corner of her eyes she made a note to figure this one out. Seemed her family’s past liked to pop up on her and claim rights.

“Worried me for a second, Val’Ryss would be the time to just appear. Force knows she’s good at that.” Now that the comment about her bajillion old grandmother was finished, she kept her grin and lowered her voice keeping the conversation between her and Ashin. “Well, I assumed the lip bitting would be tame enough for you to handle. I mean I could always just project images into your mind showing you every fine detail of what I’m thinking.” Of course Spencer didn’t pass up the opportunity to tease Ashin some more. A flash and nothing more of what was on Spencer’s mind at the moment embedded itself in the back of [member="Ashin Varanin"] 's mind. Simple, to the point and always at the best part.

“It has been 11 dreadful hours, I look forward to what you have planned, be careful though Empress – what would they think if their Empress showed a sign of weakness in the knees for the wiles of a young woman?”

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Spencer Jacobs"]

"No, that's Najwa, our new Grand Inquisitor. One two-millionth of your genetics came from her, more than Val'Ryss by far. Centuries." She smiled faintly, an expression that acquired something tangibly stunned when Spencer demonstrated her utter mastery of the mind -- and more than a little familiarity with Ashin's defenses. A reminder, if she needed it, that her wife could wipe the floor with her and just about anyone else within a thousand parsecs.

To say nothing of the potential for distraction.

She blanked her face -- they were in public, after all -- and kept her mind as contained as she could manage. "Oh, I'll be careful. Delicate, even." She was already speaking low; now she muted herself a little more, trusting in Spencer's unerring empathy to pick up on eavesdroppers. "Interesting crowd Na'Varro's put together. If these worlds didn't need help, I wouldn't..."

A shrug punctuated her conclusion.

On a world in the Unknown Territories

Gethin followed one of his Platoon Sergeants into the barracks. Every now and again he liked to accompany them for inspections, particularly when there were new recruits on board. As they stepped into the barracks the enlisted immediately lined up in front of their bunks. Even though the senior Warrant Officers were referred to as “Sir,” or “Ma’am” they were not saluted.

The Platoon Sergeant pulled a clean white cloth from his pocket and immediately started dusting down drawers, shelves and beds looking for dust. He stopped at a Private’s bed and held up a dirty cloth.

“IC-7712, inspection failed. Tomorrow I expect…”

“But sir, I’ve just got here and was given physio to recover from…”

Gethin stepped forwards and there was silence. The Platoon Sergeant stepped back.

“IC-7712!” he shouted, then leaning in he whispered, “Private Jenson you miserable excuse for a soldier.” It wasn’t the way, Stormtroopers were supposed to be without identity, particularly in the elite Storm Commandos. But Gethin knew every single one of his troopers by name. They were more than just tags to him, he had both a duty of care to them and a wish to call them by name when they’re really crossed a line.

“IC 7712, did you just back chat to the Sergeant?” He continued.

“No Sir!”

“I damn well hope so, a hurty ankle is no excuse for slovenly behaviour!”

“Yes sir!”

The inspection carried on for a little while longer. Tedium, but he preferred to keep his eyes on the Company. When it was finished, he knew it was time for his meeting with the Colonel. The military was under new management – in a manner of speaker – and the Colonel was going to represent 2 Storm Commando. Gethin was one of the most respected senior Warrant Officers in the Storm Commando Brigade and as such often assisted the senior officers at meetings and planning sessions. It would be dull, he was certain. Then again, the stupid old bastard was getting too slow for deployment, he probably had just a few good years left. The future would be endless meeting, presentations and documents. Maybe training if he was lucky.

Spencer mused on the after party as [member="Ashin Varanin"] spoke. There were so many that seemed to be part of her lineage. To Spencer though, the only true family she had was with Ashin and now Ibaris. The others seem to fade away the moment she needed them the most or found it too difficult to understand her. Though there was only one that understood her inside and out, she was standing next to her.

Her voice also hushed lower as she picked up Ashin's point when it came to their current situation. "It's what we do, we help until we're unneeded. I'd rather have it this way than when we were with the Republic. It was..." Her face showed her feelings towards Ashin and the Republic. A soft fade with a tinge of worry, it was all that needed to be said on the matter.

Spencer kept her empathy close, but open enough to pick up on anything. She was, in her opinion one of Ashin's best defensive persons. Glancing about she leaned up slightly and nuzzled gently against Ashin's neck. Support, it's what she needed now more than ever and Spencer would be that support.

"You're the savior of the Galaxy, no matter whose in trouble you're there. It's what I love about you. These people need leadership and you're the perfect one to bring order. Don't doubt yourself." A smirk spread across her face as she kissed the Empress ever so lightly on the cheek, lingering she whispered "Deep down, you love making waves"

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Spencer Jacobs"]

"You know I do. I'm sorry I kept us tied to it so long. I..." She shrugged helplessly. "Every now and again, despite all evidence to the contrary, I believe that a movement is what it says it is. Take this one. Order, discipline, honour. But I know what power and risk can do to people. Compromises get made. I make common cause with people who have every right to pursue the same goals we do, protect the same worlds we try to protect, but whose methods aren't ours. I do that because we have faith that our personalities can win over theirs, and that something worthwhile will get accomplished. This is the fifth time I've done this dance. Maybe this time I'll get it right."

Not Ordo

Just under the upper hand.
[member="Jared Starchaser"] [member="AnaSera Beliq"] [member="Torill Holgor"] [member="Alen Na'Varro"] [member="Ashin Varanin"][member="Spencer Jacobs"] [member="Ahani Najwa"] [member="Felicity Simmons"]

The trooper watched Spencer walk in with her black dress and immediately blinked his HUD through modes so that again what he said inside the helmet would be unheard.

"She always was a pretty girl." He said to himself, before blinking his helmet back active.

He looked at the assembled group and sighed audibly.

He switched to trooper comm.

"Six-Seven-Three-Six requesting to switch to Patrol detail." He said across the comm.

"Reason." The sergeant said.

"I thin" He began.

"De-freaking-nied IC-Six Seven Three Six." The Sergeant saidcutting him off.

"You keep this up Sergeant and I might have to cave in your face." Three-Six said anger bubbling.

"You and what army PRIVATE." The Sergeant replied angrily.

"Your mother's army." The trooper replied holding completely still to not show he was talking at all.

"I'll have you court marshaled." the Sergeant said, "We'll talk after. report to your quarters."

"Aye, sir." Three-Six said before making a military right-face and marching out of the room to be replaced by a smaller trooper.

Torill Holgor

T
[member="Ashin Varanin"] [member="Alen Na'Varro"]

Torill shrugged as his request to meet with the leaders of this new Empire was apparently denied as it had been an extended period of time and he still had not been permitted to leave the docking bay much less anything else. Addressing the guards Torill spoke softly.

"So I take that as a no." "Fair enough if you will kindly return my belonging I will be on my way." "Please give the Captain my apologies for the undesired interruption."

Once his belongings were returned to him Torill turned and board the shuttle he had arrived on speaking to the Pilot.

"It would seem out assistance is not needed." "Please depart when they have given us permission." "We will find another place to call home."

The Pilot nodded hitting the comm and requesting permission to undock from the Star Destroyer

The officers around [member="Torill Holgor"] suddenly went stock-still. One mouth hung agape and then the screens around would flicker. Each of the bodies other than Torill himself were pitched sideways into a wall and stuck there by an invisible force. A tall, slender woman pulled back her silver hair and trotted up. "Hoooold your engines! You know how long it takes to yank an officer from a meeting full of meeting people? It's not easy you know. You don't know. You're not in the meeting yet. I know you're not! 'Cause we're not there." Ahani Najwa was wearing the uniform of a Commander, there was a wildness to her eyes which even on screen translated to a poor rendition of domesticity.

This beast was just that. "[member="Torill Holgor"] you are not clear to undock from the Star Destroyer. Nope. Sorry. Won't let you. But you are clear to come with me and see [member="Alen Na'Varro"] and Empress [member="Ashin Varanin"]. Where do you hail from, eh? What's got you asking' of the big wigs and their stylishly combat-centered clothes? Eh? C'mon, I can take you to see 'em."

Torill Holgor

T
[member="Ahani Najwa"]

Torill watched the scene unfold with a calm expression on the surface. In his mind he was racing a thousand thoughts at once most of which consisted of what the Feth. Turnign to the pilot Torill nodded causing the pilot to shut the engines back down. Torill walked down the ramp once again to the waiting woman.

Looking at the dock crew pinned to the walls Torill turned to her.

"I take it that was your doing?"

Torill looked at the woman for a moment showing no fear but just a hint of acknowledgement at the chance she could rip him to shreds before his mind would even be able to process it.

"I am from Wild Space." "A planet called Morellia although I was raised by my mother in the Outer Rim." "I would ask you if you are familiar with it but as I understand it my people are believed to be extinct." "I am actually only half Morellian."

Torill paused setting his bag down.

"Your leaders sent out a message looking for volunteers, for assistance, basically for help." "I was a city mayor, a Senator's aide, and eventually a Planetary Representative acting in a Senator's absence." "Most recently I went back to Morellia where I spent a life time learning to be a survivalist and perfecting the use of the favored weapon of our people."

Torill glanced down at the .48 Caliber Enforcer Pistol in the holster before looking back up.

"Now I have no solid plans for what I will do or be next accept to get back to my original passion." "Whether your Empire uses Senator's or some other form of representation I came to offer my services." "To save time I thought I would exercise prudence and start at the top offering my services instead of spending the next 30 years working my way through city level again........................."

Torill stopped

"Forgive my rudeness you know my name but I did not ask yours."

"Mmmmmmmmmmhm." Ahani nodded, flicking a finger toward the landing crew as they collectively yelped and flung a few feet sideways along the wall. One of the crew yelled 'wheeeee!'. Ahani made a mental note to find the one who did and say thank you. It was about time people took their salt with a grain of sugar. . . wait. . . . what? The Echani shook her head and hit her palm to her ear, as if to dislodge the thought. [member="Torill Holgor"] was talking and half of it she understood. The other half seemed honest enough.

"Buddy, I don't have a clue what a Morellian is. B-b-been hiding inside a rock for a while." She let the thought sink in and nodded to Torill and walked off toward the meeting. "The Empress [member="Ashin Varanin"] welcomes all who will be loyal to the Empire of the Hand. So, you want to offer your services? Do so and do so with all of yourself. Slip or defect even once, and you'll be in my view. And not in the fun way. Aw, it's all good, son! Come along, tut tut tut. Hop to and all that ma-ma-malarky. Meeting's about to start don't want to miss it."

As she walked off, Ahani swung her hand to the side and the suspended crew lowered gently to the ground. What could she say? She wanted to be nice for the potentially high ranking political official. "No, you didn't ask mine. Funny that, isn't it?"

Torill Holgor

T
[member="Ahani Najwa"]

Torill listened to the woman talk silently watching the reactions with the members of the dock crew with interest. When she mentioned not knowing anything about Morellian's Torill smiled softly.

"Well I am only half Morellian so we can just focus on the other half then if it will help."

Torill picked up his bag and followed in step behind the woman chuckling at the pseudo-Military jargon watching the rest of the crew being released from whatever held them in place. As they walked Torill continued to speak.

"So you are the big baddy in charge of keeping everyone in line?" "Fair enough though I will have to get used to being apprehensive at such a distasteful but necessary role being filled by someone as lovely." "Most enforcers are big Neanderthal guys with low breeding." "So what title or name should I address you by?"

Na'Varro nodded in agreement with [member="Jared Starchaser"], before catching sight of [member="Spencer Jacobs"] entering the room. The blonde girl was so dazzling, one could almost forget that she was probably the strongest being in the known universe. Some would, most likely ... Na'Varro was counting on it. Perfect choice, he noted her dress. Apart from the Empress herself, Spencer was probably the most important person in this new Empire of the Hand. It was probably best if people overlooked her and focused on him. Of the two of them, she was probably the most dangerous.

"Best take a seat, we'll be beginning shortly," he said to Starchaser, and looked up to see [member="Ahani Najwa"] re-enter the room with [member="Torill Holgor"]. [member="Jared Ovmar"] wasn't here yet, but he was sure the man would be showing up fashionably late at some point. Najwa was here, [member="Inkara Liet"] was here, all the heavy hitters he could muster, due of course to varying schedules, were here. He had all the people he needed to set his plan into action. Giddy-up.

With a flick of his wrist, Na'Varro brought up the massive holoprojector into the middle of the conference table and indicated that all should be seated. He nodded deferentially to [member="Ashin Varanin"], as was his role, and took up a place at her left hand. All sat, Na'Varro remained standing.

"Ladies, Gentlemen, Empress ..." he started, his voice crisp with military precision. Gone was the smuggler's drawl he favoured around those in his inner circle. This was strictly business. "I welcome you to the Gorgon, former flagship of the Sith Warlord Circe Savan. Have no fear, every inch of this place has been doused with Vinithi-Be-Gone."

Some chuckled at that. Some of the delegates, especially from the current Hand government down on Haladen, had no idea what he was talking about.

"To some of you, the Empress offers an opportunity. To others, she offers salvation. This will be by no means easy ... in fact, we will require nothing short of a miracle to achieve total victory. But we have the people. I believe it, the Empress believes it, now all we have to do is to make it so. But we have an uphill battle to face."

Na'Varro pressed a button on his remote, and a holographic representation of the Unknown Regions sprang to life. The majority of systems in the representation were coloured yellow, Fringe worlds all, with a smaller area coloured in red and another area, smaller still, coloured in blue. The smallest area was coloured in white ... the Empire of the Hand.

"This is the Empire of the Hand in its current condition. Weak, dying, and its very existence threatened by the horde of mutated Vong at its doorstep." White systems began winking out, one by one. "These are the current systems under threat. This includes the capital, Haladen itself."

Na'Varro clicked again, and the representation zoomed in on the Haladen system. A Vong blockade surrounded the capital world, and explosions, signifying major conflicts, dotted the planet.

"As we speak, Haladen is close to falling. The Imperial troops that remain on the capital are the strongest, the best, and the most disciplined ... they have held out far longer than is reasonable, but they are close to breaking. They are running out of hope, and when all hope is lost, even the strongest can crumble. We do not have much time. We don't have the ships to break the siege. Not right now, at least. We don't have the troops either. But we have a strong leader, and a group here who can do what needs to be done."

Nodding deferentially once again to Varanin, Na'Varro continued. The Vong blockade began to fade, some ships ravaged by explosions.

"The Empress had devised a plan that should theoretically deny the enemy the ability to resupply their troops, while simultaneously using covert operations to destroy enemy vehicles and equipment in massive numbers. Once that is complete, the road to saving Haladen should be established. It won't be easy, but neither is taking down a L'lotek'k." The representation zoomed out to the Unknown Regions once again. The white area started slowly expanding eventually encompassing the free area of the Unknown Regions. "And then with new ships, new vehicles and more troops, the Empire of the Hand will expand. Strong leadership will return it to its former glory."

The representation zoomed out to take in the whole galaxy, with all galactic governments represented. Slowly, most began receding in area, representing their projected decline. Some, however, remained strong and started expanding again. Na'Varro watched briefly as the white area expanded further, towards the Core, retaking its old capital world, the Chiss worlds, and then entering conflict with other galactic powers. Slowly, but surely, the white began to swallow the other areas, until it was the only one that remained.

"First through negotiation and diplomacy, and then through our unyielding strength, we will re-establish honour, order and discipline to the galaxy, while maintaining high standards of life for its people."

The Sith Lord folded his arms, eyeing all seated individually.

"I have seen many governments up close. Some were good concepts, some succeeded for a while, but all failed inevitably. The Empire of the Hand has what it takes to be a different story. We will not relent, not compromise, until we have achieved what we need to achieve. This galaxy has seen too much struggle and shed too much blood. It's going to have to shed a little more before we're finished, but when we are ... I don't think it will have to do so ever again."

[member="AnaSera Beliq"]

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
A single ship dropped out of hyperspace in relative close proximity to the Gorgon, the Chrysalide-classhttp://starwarsrp.net/topic/11740-chrysalide-class-battlecruiser/ was the Queen of the Fringe Navy and it showed this in the sleek design and form of the vehicle. Friend/Foe codes were exchanged beforehand, nobody wanted to start a firefight in the middle of space… at least not now, though it probably would have looked pretty sweet from a good angle.

While the various members of the Council mingled Ovmar’s transport docked with the Gorgon and the Sith Lord himself found his way the council room right after Na’Varro had started his speech; impeccable timing indeed.

I gave Na’Varro a curt nod and settled down in the back of the room, didn’t want to break up the vibe he had going right now, messing up speeches was all fun and games until said speeches were about something important.

The Confederation was in a place of peace at the moment, there was stability and that made me happy to a point, all those years of work had finally paid off… yet I wished for more. Success had a price and this period of doing nothing but simple bureaucratic nonsense was getting to me, I think that was the biggest reason I decided to join this meeting when Alen invited me, that and the fact that Varanin and Jacobs were here.

Say what you will about my current position in the Galactic Hierarchy, but they were there for me when I was at my lowest; Spencer as my Master and the sister I never had and Varanin… well let’s just say that she knows how to properly intimidate me as only mothers can do, even though we are about the same age. Life’s funny that way.

So here I am… signing up for another adventure with some of the people with whom I had made the Fringe a safer place, wondering if it will be like the ‘good’ ol’ days or if we have all changed too much for that.

Only time will tell I suppose.

'Well spoken, Na'Varro. You have my support.'

Simply spoken, but nothing more was needed between the two of them.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Alen Na'Varro"] [member="Spencer Jacobs"] [member="Jared Starchaser"] [member="Ahani Najwa"] [member="Torill Holgor"] [member="Inkara Liet"] [member="Jared Ovmar"]

She'd chosen a black uniform-like outfit that didn't adhere to any one tradition -- it had much in common with the uniforms of the Fringe, the Republic, and the Sith Empire, among others. Her ribbon rack held a truly massive array of decorations, over thirty, and a couple of prestigious medals. She'd reconsidered wearing them, after she'd dressed. Now, with a shrug, she unpinned medals and rack, and laid them on the table. A moment after Alen concluded, Ashin stepped forward.

"I've done this before," she said, eyes flicking to Spencer, to whom she owed pretty much everything; at Alen, whose master plan this was. She was keenly aware of her status as the face of this operation, but not the ultimate authority, not truly. That, however, was secret. "I've taken unlikely causes and pressing needs, and turned them into the Sith Empire and the Lords of the Fringe. I've brought civilization, connectivity, security to a quarter of the galaxy. That much should establish my record, but do not take it as a statement that I could do this alone, that I did any of the rest alone. This is not about me, this is about what needs to be done. These worlds require action, and this galaxy requires something new.

"I have believed in causes before. Democracy. Liberty. I still believe in those principles, but when only those principles have value, the result has been stagnation, weakness, defeat. Wherever you come from, ideologically, wherever your old allegiance lies, you're as intelligent as I am; you can look at our galaxy and see the scars of collective failure. You can see, without a shadow of a doubt, that survival and creation require discipline -- self-discipline -- and order. There is only one way to keep worlds secure in this day and age, and that is by becoming steel.

"When I was a Jedi Knight, the Order asked me to put it before everything else. It took me a long time to come to terms with what was asked of me. While you can see and feel what choice I made, I respect the principle.

"If you stay, if you want to create something entirely new rather than standing on the shoulders of your predecessors, you must be ready to put creation before ease. You must be willing to put this cause first. If you are not ready for that, you can leave now, without prejudice, and you can be assured that I know exactly, and intimately, what I'm asking.

"If you stay, you will be the foundation of something new. Make your choice."

Torill Holgor

T
When Torill entered the conference room he started to speak but was stop when the man who was apparently leading this little event bade everyone to take a seat. Torill found an inconspicuous seat at the table silently his elbows, forearms and fingers forming a triangle with his index fingers lightly touching his chin as he listened to the speech.

To start off with Torill gave equal attention to speaker and visual aids until he realized that most of it seemed to be intention rather than a reflection of what had already happen. Through out the presentation Torill neither smiled nor frowned simply listening to what the group had intended to do. It would seem the Empire was crumbling and the leaders had sent out a semi-desperate call for help to keep the final world from falling. It seemed like Torill had heard too many of these stories before but remained quite for now.

Torill would turn slightly towards the door when a fashionably late arrival spoke a simple sentence but one that often carries a lot of meaning. Torill studied the man for a moment before turning back as the next speaker began. A highly decorated woman it would seem who gave a bit of a history of sorts about herself. Torill admitted to himself it was quite a nice speech and assuming it was all true this woman was a person who could very easily accomplish what need to be done on her own. This caused Torill to wonder why the rest of them were here. This task had a brilliant mind in the first speaker with a solid plan and in the second speaker someone over qualified to execute the plan.

Torill spoke softly.

"What caused the decline in the Empire if I may ask?" "Also what is known about this.... Vong...was it.....Horde?" "Negotiation and Diplomacy I can definitely due." "I can even wield with some efficiency a Blaster when the situation requires it but I have found knowledge to be the best weapon against all things."

[member="Alen Na'Varro"] [member="Spencer Jacobs"] [member="Jared Starchaser"] [member="Ahani Najwa"] [member="Inkara Liet"] [member="Jared Ovmar"]

Na'Varro looked over at Varanin briefly, then fielded the question from the floor. He looked the newcomer over ... an opportunist, it seemed, but that didn't mean he wouldn't be capable.

"The decline was down to a number of factors. From my personal point of view, it was a culture problem. Lack of firm leadership, lack of tactical aggression, a few military blunders a long the way. The Empire of the Hand needed a regime change. The new Empress is the DS answer, in my opinion." Military jargon slipped in to his wordplay occasionally. Na'Varro could play the role of High General as required. "As for the Vong, they're not Vong in the strictest sense ... mutated by the Gulag Virus, barely sentient but perfectly capable warriors. Massively reduced life cycle, breed like crazy. Not at all affiliated with the Horde that once populated the other side of the galaxy."

Na'Varro paused, as if to consider something extremely important, then continued.

"Politician who can use a blaster. I like it. Your skillset sums up what we're about. If your character matches it, you could do well here."

[member="Torill Holgor"]

Jared wasn't one to talk out of turn. He followed a law where if he felt he needed to speak, he would. But only if it was useful to the group. Being greeted as Wing Commander was not completely unfamiliar to him. But that didn't mean he could go toe to toe with the likes of Varanin or Na'Varro. And he wouldn't.

Hell, Jared at times was so much of a stiff that a girl could practically be on top of him and he'd not get the memo she was interested. With Lia it was different. And when he saw the blonde woman walk in, well he was paying attention now.

If he was asked an opinion he'd speak, until then so long as Imperial and Chiss protocol was observed, he would take his wing and cause death for the Hand.

Torill Holgor

T
Torill nodded at the quip about being a Politician who can use a blaster.

"My home world is in Wild Space." "No the best place to take a vacation if you can't at least defend yourself."

Torill dropped his arms letting them rest on the table.

"Let me be candid if I may." "I am about the people." I am not a soldier and I have never been a soldier." "I have always lived by the idea that happy citizens are loyal citizens." "You provide them with the necessities like food, water and shelter and they will tolerate you, you toil in the dirt with them to earn it and they will respect you, stand by them in the field when death is knocking on the door and they will love you." "I am not an enforcer, and I am not an oppressor." "When the times comes to push back the enemy at the gates I will stand and fight just like everyone else." "I will not put this or any Empire's own citizens to the lash just to keep them fearful and inline." "If that is what you require then please say so now so I am take my leave and bid you good luck."

Torill paused.

"However it is my intent to spend some time with the Army brushing up where I am lacking in the areas of combat efficiencies." "As well as the Navy to work on brushing up on Piloting ability if they will let me."

"It is a matter of prudence to ensure I can provide the best possible service to the people of the Empire."

[member="Alen Na'Varro"] [member="Jared Starchaser"] [member="Ashin Varanin"] [member="Spencer Jacobs"] [member="Jared Ovmar"] [member="Ahani Najwa"]

Gethin waited quietly outside the Colonel's office, standing almost motionless. Perhaps the impatience of youth had passed, or maybe he'd just seen so much time go past that events seemed closer together now? Either way, he could stand in one spot with just his own thoughts for hours on end quite happily.

A junior lieutenant stepped out of the room, his cheeks flushed. Gethin vaguely recognised him, he'd had to baby sit the lad through a Platoon exercise just last week. Obviously the Colonel had a few choice words for him. Gethin gave a perfunctory salute and then stepped inside.

He stopped at the threshold, snapping off a much more crisp salute, with a "Sir,"

"Shut the door please Sergeant," said the Colonel. The officer, a balding man in his mid forties, with a stern face, didn't even bother to stand as he returned the salute.

"Yes sir," Gethin replied. The Colonel's demeanour visibly shifted as the door slid shut.

"How are things Geth?" he said in a more casual tone.

"Not brilliant Stanos, don't know where they dredged up some of this new blood, but they're barely worthy of the Commando tag." Gethin replied. Him and the Colonel went a long way back. His first deployment as a Sergeant had been under Stanos, back when he'd been a Captain. The Colonel trusted him, and had even hinted that he'd routed for him when the RSM position had come up.

"I know, I know, but times are hard. We've got to work with what with we've got. Be thankful you don't have to deal with the new officers, he said, waving his hand in the direction of the recently departed Lieutenant.

Gethin raised an eyebrow.

"Ah, fair point. And yes, you've done well at arse wiping and hand holding! Was I ever that bad?"

"Ah no sir, you knew the ropes when we met. Barely had to ignore your orders at all!"

"How droll, is the Major treating you well?" Stanos asked.

"Reasonably,"

"That bad then?" Stanos replied with half a smile.

Gethin just sighed, the old bastard knew him too well.

"You intimidate them!" Stanos said with a laugh. "The hero of Valley 36-B. Hell, everyone in 2 Commando knows you should have earned your commission by now. For what it's worth I know you'd do a better job than any of these welps. The Major is a good man, but he's ten years your junior and has half your wit."

Valley 36-B. On a colony world so new, it didn't even have a name. There, with both his CO and 2IC, he'd stepped up to the plate and held off ten thousand Reptoids with a handful of men. What accolades he should have earned had been lost when afterwards he'd nearly floored the Lt Col who had refused to send in the 5th Rifles and Air Assault support. They could have won back the whole continent if he'd acted, instead of leaving "Dirge" and his men to fight to the last. It had taken three men to drag him from the room.

"Do you know why they don't give you the academy posts you keep applying for?" Stanos asked suddenly.

Gethin gave the officer a long look, before his eyes turned to his boots. Imperial doctrine was well drilled in, enlisted were even stripped of name and numbered. He'd known the Colonel for a long time, but this was perhaps a level of familiarity too much.

"Why?" he asked with a sigh, suddenly finding his voice weak.

"Look, we're losing this war. Badly. You're one of a number of men... Well let's just say when we deploy you, special things tend to happen. Valley 36-B, Criptos, the invasion of Ghast." Stanos said.

'Dirge' looked up at the Colonel, trying to read his expression. He looked apologetic, almost...ashamed. "I'm really starting to feel my age," he admitted.

"I know, I know."

"I don't even do anything much, the CO's make the call, I just..."

"They ask you what to do, and you tell them exactly what needs to be done. I've been there myself, don't forget."

"Sir," was all Gethin could find to say. He felt a knot wound tight in his stomach. They were desperate, they were going to use him until he had nothing left to give. His mental pictures of a quiet desk job evaporated, to be replaced by an image of him taking his last breath. Face down in the mud on one final campaign on some Force-forsaken Vong world.

"Geth, is your Company ready for deployment?"

"Quite a few greens, but the core's as solid as you'll find. Some exceptional men there sir."

"Capital. Next week 2 Commando is assembling at the spaceport," Stanos said.

"Sir?"

"We've got help coming, we can't win this war alone. So, 2 Commando is going along with Brigadier Fash and Admiral Kaal to meet up with our new aid and start planning out the details. 2 Commando are perfect for teaching their men the lay of the land and getting them up to speed." Stabos explained.

"Sir, we can win this, we can hold them. We should be..."

"No, no we can't," Stanos said gravely, shaking his head. "Haladen is overrun with fugees from the colonies. Geth we can't hold this much longer. We need this help. You know what the men on the ground need?"

"More reccee vehicles, we're short of portable ordnance on the front lines and..." Geth started to reel off his qualms.

"Yes, yes. Exactly why you're going to stick close to me through all this." Stanos said, his smile was back now. "We're going to win this war, just you want and see."

OOC/ Establishing the char and why he's here. Yeah I know, character is a MASSIVE walking cliché

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom