Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Council Convenes (Attn: Grand Council)

Norongachi listened, watched. He studied the council members, their expressions and the timbre of their voices as they spoke. Pacifists, extremists, those that cared not one way or the other as he did.

"Isn't democracy grand..." He thought ruefully, reclining back in the high backed synthwood chair and slipping one leg over the other.

Death. The voice sent a tremor throughout the Force that sent a pleasant shiver across Salem's skin as the Lord Inquisitor made his presence known to the gathered.

"Now that's interesting..." The raven haired relic mused, his gaze sliding to the man behind Curupira. In his lifetime he had known many who were a galaxy unto themselves in the Force, their presence bold and unyielding. It never occurred to him that he would meet another so soon.

Yet more saber hilts revealed themselves, placed upon the tabletop by their respective owners. A statement and one he was unwilling to make. A blade that you could not see was all the more terrifying.

"Kill him. Do not kill him. Imprison him or don't..." Norongachi began, one hand slipping into the inside pocket of his jacket and producing a cigarra. He set it between his lips and with a thought its end flared to life. "It doesn't really matter to me. It doesn't really matter to the people out there working from dawn until dusk to put some food in their kids bellies. What they will note, is the manner in which the punishment is handled. Do we, as @[member="Manu Xextos"] says, handle this ourselves or let a man take his revenge despite the cost?" He inhaled deeply and then blew out a cloud of blueish grey smoke.

"I've always been a believer that if you want something done right, you get off your arse and do it yourself." That was all he had to say on the matter.

@[member="Feena Mason"] @[member="Ket Van Derveld"] @[member="Curupira Hawk"] @[member="Ember Rekali"] @[member="Isley Verd"] @[member="Serian Loria"]

Serian Loria

In the shadows, at the fringe
His lit ruby eyes watched the silver haired Echani and then the Inquisitor General, following to the others that spoke. “I agree, he must be brought to justice, but I don’t think he should get off lightly. Still, whatever his fate is to be, I will accept it.

What more was there for him to say? In the end justice would be met, but he didn’t cry for leniency, if anything his thoughts were to kill this faceless person and make an example of them, but that might be too harsh. His reaction for situations such as this was to deal with it quickly and make it very final. So instead he made his desires known, but left the decisions of what to those of higher seniority than he, whatever that may be.

(OOC: I'm basing this on American legal proceedings, since we've got little in the way of precedent here. If you need me to edit, let me know)

Vorhi watched and listened to a bunch of people saying a bunch of things. Ancient Gods, he missed good old fashioned trial by combat sometimes. He'd beat Daxton into a pulp himself.

He watched as a few mentioned the death penalty, others discussed Merrill's role in the affair. "We're not here to discuss waht occurs Merrill. Merrill's behavior, while illegal, was neither malicious enough to constitute an act of war, nor violent enough to warrant response outside of the courts of Roon. His hot-blooded reaction does not require the council's attention. I suffered the worst of his actions, and I'm not pressing charges--I understand and empathize. he can and will answer for property damages with restitution, as per planetary law." Was Jorus a hot-blooded young guy? Yes. Was he in the wrong legally? Yes. Morally? Not so much.

"Now, to the issue at hand. I cannot vote in this matter. I was assaulted, and manipulate, by multiple parties, an presumably have the definition of a conflict of interest. So, as a material witness, I recuse myself from voting, but will stay here to answer any questions directed towards me," he said talking calmly and evenly to the room.

"Now, I wish to remind you all that this is not a sentencing hearing. This is a meeting to determine what charges are to be pressed, and what indictment of Bane's actions is to be permitted. Now, I will not vote, but I recommend that the charges include kidnapping, imprisonment, assault, battery, and, given the fact that his actions endangered personnel and resources of the CIS," he said calmly, "derilection of duty as a standing officer. Master Bane's crimes were unprovoked and heinous, and no intelligence agency has stepped forward to acknowledge even a redacted permission for his methods. His actions, in combination with his position, endangered the CIS, and constitute dereliction and willful negligence. None of these are capital offenses. However, if we pursue an indictment--which is what we are actually here to vote on," he continued, "the fullest sentence is life in prison. Given the severity involved, I'd recommend including a recommendation for no parole. And for the record, if he breaks custody, we put a bounty on him to be brought back alive, an send a team of crusaders after him as well. We will not circumvent the law and jump to sentencing simply because we are offended by his nature. If we are forced to try him in abstentia and bring him back for sentencing kicking and screaming, then, so be it. "

"From a legal standpoint, we must also consider his positions within the military and Templar. Lady Archon, I think a suspension until the trial reaches a verdict is necessary. I also feel it would be wise to begin court-martial proceedings. And Ember, you are right: We should have realized this sooner. I knew he had a sadistic streak, but this--if I'd have known, I'd have done worse that Merrill. And then I'd probably be the one standing trial here," he said calmly.

He sighed, adjusting his hat and forcing out a weak smile. "I apologize for talking so much. Part of being speaker, I guess. Please continue your deliberation."

@[member="Manu Xextos"] @[member="Salem Norongachi"] @serian lora @[member="Feena Mason"] @[member="Keter"] @[member="Isley Verd"] @[member="Curupira Hawk"] @[member="Ember Rekali"] @[member="Ket Van Derveld"] @[member="Phoebe Verd"]

Ket's fist slammed on the table and then immediately shot up, pointing to @[member="Manu Xextos"] as he felt a wave of satisfaction roll over him. "Even Manu agrees with me! If both Sith and Jedi can agree on a course of action, then I wonder why we still sit here at a table debating what to do when the course of our action is clear."

Ket looked directly into @[member="Feena Mason"] 's eyes, piercing sapphire blues almost begging her to come at him. He knew far more than she could ever pray to whatever gods she prays to that he didn't. "We are not compromising ourselves. I refuse to believe that this concept is madness. The galaxy is not a nice, fair, and forgiving place. If we hope to keep the Confederacy intact, we must understand this of most basic principles. Whoever has the biggest stick does not keep what they have. Whoever USES it does. This is why I, and those like me, are here. If you think for one solitary second that blood will not be shed over this, you are a fool. The question is not when or how that blood is shed, but how much. The amount, THAT is up to you."

@[member="Manu Xextos"] @[member="Salem Norongachi"] @[member="Serian Loria"] @[member="Feena Mason"] @[member="Keter"] @[member="Isley Verd"] @[member="Curupira Hawk"] @[member="Ember Rekali"] @[member="Phoebe Verd"]

Keter

The Renegade
Keter sat in silence at his chair. The finer details of what the Masters assembled were discussing eluded him, but he had hardly been vested in their squabbles. He was here for Feena, nothing more. He leaned back in the chair and rolled his shoulders, letting his red gaze slide from one person to the next as he studied them in turn.

The Eternal Queen
Feena watched the various members speak, taking a moment to really listen to their diplomat. He was directly involved in this, unlike her, but he still seemed to be of the same mind as her. She smiled weakly as he spoke, almost encouraging him on. She still owed him her life. She wasn't about to forget it any time soon.

The sound of a fist on the table caused Feenas head ache to spike drastically. She stared directly into the inquisitors eyes, refusing for an instant to back down. He could get angry at her, he could even refuse to show respect. She really didn't care what his personal opinions were as long as he remembered his job and stuck to it.

"Lord Inquisitor," Feena's voice was soft, gentle, but firm, "If you are unable to conduct yourself in an appropriate and professional manner, then you will be asked to leave this meeting at once."

She let her eyes slide back to @[member="Vorhi Alestrani"], giving him a stiff nod.

"I agree with The Speaker, Master Alestrani on this. This is not a sentencing hearing and we are wasting time discussing a death penalty. As per his recommendation, I do believe it best to begin court martial proceedings. Are there no objections to that, at least?"

@[member="Ket Van Derveld"] @Manu Xextos @Salem Norongachi @Serian Loria @Keter @Isley Verd @Curupira Hawk @Ember Rekali @Phoebe Verd

For several moments, the Mandalorian awaited the words of his fellows in response to his opening the floor. However, what his relative said spurned the beginning of a response from him. "While we should have known better, it is the very nature of the Templar Order that allowed us to give Master Bane the benefit of the doubt. Of those who have entered the Order after serving the Sith Empire, only one to my recollection has acted in such a malicious manner: Daxton himself. I speak from experience when I say that, regardless of prior...working history...there are many within the Order who have made the transition from Sith to Templar, thereby leading to our giving them the benefit of the doubt. That said..." he paused, taking a moment to loft his eyes in the direction of @[member="Vorhi Alestrani"].

"I agree with Master Alestrani in that it falls to us to adequately charge Daxton Bane in light of his crimes; and to formulate a punishment befitting said crimes. The suggestion he has put forth seems appropriate to me as well. My logic in this is simple. While I'm sure many of us would love to see nothing more than the forfeiting of Daxton's life, the reality is that his victim is alive. It is my firm opinion that a life should only be claimed as penance for the theft of another; and as such life imprisonment seems to be the most fitting consequence for Master Bane's actions. Until such time as he can be brought to trial, I motion for this Council to take a step beyond suspending Daxton. I motion for us to strip him of name, title, and standing within the Order entirely."

"That said, I do believe that we have mulled things over enough to put this to a vote. All in favor of having Daxton Bane stand trial, faced with the charges of Kidnapping, Imprisonment, Assault, Battery, and the Gross Endangerment of CIS personnel and resource; in addition to stripping him of his place within the Templar Order?"

The Mandalorian raised his hand, denoting his vote.

• @[member="Vorhi Alestrani"]
  • @[member="Serian Loria"]
  • @[member="Ember Rekali"]
  • @[member="Feena Mason"]
  • @[member="Keter"]
  • @[member="Salem Norongachi"]
  • @[member="Ket Van Derveld"]
  • @[member="Curupira Hawk"]
  • @[member="Phoebe Verd"]
  • @[member="Manu Xextos"]

Vorhi's fist shook, and he swallowed slightly, feeling as if he were choking on a pile of Tattoine Tumbleweeds. He coughed weakly. "I abstain from voting dude to conflicted interest. I am sorry," he said softly, hoarsely. The anger in him flickered very briefly. He wished, probably more than anyone else in the room, that he could just go after Bane and crush his skull between his hands like a over-ripened grape. He had called this man Master, unwittingly having helped him act as a monster.

He was angry at himself, angry at the world, angry at being too weak to fight, too blind to see the evil set before him. He wanted to punch someone harder than he ever had before, and his fist shook. He let out a sigh that sound liked bitter air fro ma ragged bellows. "As a master of the Templars, I agree that Bane should be stripped of all the privileges fitting his office, with a move to make the suspension permanent pending a guilty verdict. How does the rest of this council vote?"

Wicked Witch of Schwartzweld
Death. It was a simple sentence, one word. And yet it spoke to her. Curupira recognized the voice instantly, she needn't have thought of it. What she did not say out of the respect for the neutrality that was the Confederacy, he said. He mate understood her thoughts better than anyone and unlike her who only thought of it, he spoke it. Death, it was the answer. The talon had to be paid, and only with death it would be.

His presence hovered directly behind her, the redhead had felt it even without the Force. Their connection, forged before her brother and sister's best friend though traditional, had been remarked in the Force itself. Curupira did not have to concentrate, to feel. She simply felt and knew. A kiss had been given, followed by the smallest of of smiles. But as his tongue met her ear, her golden gaze rose to the Archon, @[member="Feena Mason"], a tiny smirk formed on her face. While it brought her enjoyment, it also brought satisfaction. The woman had protested against the simplest of greetings of her trainer and his mate, without so much as a single word uttered by the female knew what had troubled her and what she had wished the female to know. The Sith Lord knew her well enough to know she had wished to show the Archon exactly how she felt to her reaction.

She merely looked above to her mate before smiling softly. Her mate always knew. His fingers followed, giving contact across her shoulders before taking a seat beside her, leaving an empty seat between her and @Phoebe Draclau. Her attention remained on @[member="Ket Van Derveld"], his lightsabers in view, landing on the table. As he spoke, he spoke of the Confederacy but her mate spoke of the same thing. Punishment, death. The female just listened

Curupira acknowledged though. For what he had done, the Confederacy would face the punishment if it was not dealt accordingly.

The Archon saw things only partly, agreed only to a point. Fine, she could understand that. Not all within the Confederacy were Sith. Then again, even knowing that, Curupira couldn't see how even a lightsider could let this fly, after they had seen the state of the girl in the videos. She had been a captive, she had been held against her will, she had been beaten repeatedly. She would never be alright with such a thing, no matter who the other person was.@[member="Manu Xextos"] finally saw reason, agreed. They were going to be dealing with a Sith Master here. Actions needed to be made and they didn't have an easy task ahead of them. @[member="Salem Norongachi"] had put it nicely, to get something done right, you had to do it yourself. She nodded to his words. It had to be done. @[member="Serian Loria"] spoke very little but the outline of it was closer to the majority of the words. Justice had to be served.

Her attention turning towards @[member="Vorhi Alestrani"], who had identified himself as the speaker earlier. She could see why that was now and while she didn't care much for how knowledge of the justice system and he excluded his vote due to his connection to the latter actions, she agreed in the last point. Despite what the outsider had done, his actions were light in light of what had happened. The fist slamming to the side made Curupira look in that direction again, watching Ket point to Manu Xextos, adding to his words before he focused his attention to the Archon. And he was right, there had to be blood spilled. "And specifically whose," she added to his words. That would all depend on how this council decided to handle this. And yet all she took in from his words was conduct? Was the woman even kidding right now? Couldn't she take good point when she heard it? The redhead just sighed.

As @[member="Isley Verd"] spoke, she was for the most part grateful. Ruu failed to see any point in giving the Archon anymore attention, she seemed far too struck in her ways to open her mind to anything else and clearly she wasn't the least bit open to her mate. That made it strike two? They clearly would never be friends. Her trainer noted the mistake from the Order. Good. But he agreed to the legal things the Speaker kept on, which didn't really interest her too much to listen to great detail. But apparently, because the victim was alive, death was not the toll to pay? And imprisonment was the answer for this? While Curupira knew little of the justice system she knew one thing. Punishment had two purposes. One of them was punishment itself, one of them was a message to others on what would happen to them if they attempted the same. Clearly, nobody heard that bit even when Ket had said in his own words. Isley motioned for a simple thing. Stripping of title and standing within the order, called for a vote to face trial for specific charges.

She shook her head ever so slightly and leaned forward, watching as the members voted, the Speaker agreeing to only the motion pertaining to the Order. Instead of speaking, she looked at Ket, it was his vote. She didn't see purpose in this mild behavior, personally. The message of the votes done today wouldn't be loud enough as they should have been.

Serian Loria

In the shadows, at the fringe
Serian folded his hands and then shook his head “I don’t quite see how imprisoning someone for life is any different than killing them, but then I’m a bit...dated in the manner of how I’d deal with such a problem. At the very least shouldn’t the one he harmed have a voice? This person has more right than any of us to say what should be done, they were directly affected by Daxton’s actions. I don’t put much value in one’s titles and positions, so their loss doesn’t seem of much importance to me.” He then sat back with a shrug “I would prefer to vote to let his victim decide his fate and, even be the one to end his life, for to me...that would be more just not to mention fitting.

@[member="Isley Verd"]

Live in Light, Surf Master
"Before I vote, I have one question. How in the Force do you expect Daxton Bane to come quietly enough to stand trial and be imprisoned in the first place? How many of us Masters will it take and what's the likelihood of ridiculous collateral damage? Seems to me a man like him won't come without a hideous fight, and it's that fight we need to be prepared for. The chances of us taking him down without killing him are slim, unless you want me turning his mind into a form of yellow goo. And even slimmer is him standing for the trial, unless you have a few stray Ysalamiri about? Do you have those lizards nowadays? Are they still a thing? And what of Bane's friends, if he had any, who might try to release him from his holding cell violently and with much wrecking of our stuff?

I'd love to be able to sit here and give someone the responsibility of picking the man up and putting him in a holding cell for a trial. To think justice could be done with the man sitting on his duff for the next forty years repatriating to the well meaning citizenry. I'd also like to think the person who he did this to would be fair with an opinion, but hurt and pain make fools of many. Letting the victims call the shots is another form of sanctioned vigilantism and that isn't what will help the Confederacy thrive in the long run. It's half of what caused this mess with Merrill in the first place."

Let the person whom he hurt deal the death blow? What victim would want that on their conscience? Manu shook his head and sat back. "I vote we come down hard. I vote we go at him swinging, and deter anyone from doing such a thing again. Call me ruthless, but I've lived too long to be lenient to those whose path is clear, and whose methods are condemning the innocent to a lifetime of dealing with the pain. You have not convinced me your method of imprison and trial is going to be realistically feasible yet."

Ket sat there, listening to the rest of the Council weigh in with their opinions, and silently brooded. Sapphire eyes moved slowly to the side, locking onto @[member="Curupira Hawk"] and staying there. He only heard the Archon's words in his head, over and over again. She was blind. Blind to how this galaxy ran. How it's run for centuries, for millennia. Still, even though he wielded great power within the Confederacy, it was but a slice of the pie. Reaching out, he took Curupira's hand within his own and squeezed lightly as he spoke.

"I am in agreement with Manu. Convince me that this 'idea' is feasible even in the slightest. Until then, I remain behind what I've said. Death, and nothing less."

@[member="Vorhi Alestrani"]
@[member="Serian Loria"]
@[member="Ember Rekali"]
@[member="Feena Mason"]
@[member="Keter"]
@[member="Salem Norongachi"]
@[member="Isley Verd"]
@[member="Curupira Hawk"]
@[member="Phoebe Verd"]
@[member="Manu Xextos"]

It was like being on the Direx Board of the CSA all over again. Get enough people in the same room, hand them equal power and suddenly the simple matter of what colour drapes to have in the staff lounge becomes a debate that spins its wheels for hours. It was half the reason he'd had them all killed, the other half was purely business of which the dead men could each understand.

"If he submits without a fight he stands trial. If not, authorize deadly force." The topic was beginning to grate on him and his blunt answer showed as much.

"Death, is too simple. It's not as much fun plus it's the easy way out. I rather like the plan we have come up with. I'm sure we can find a way to capture him without much collateral damage. I'm sure I could persuaded him to come along and meet with me. I have always had a way with people."

Phoebe had stayed silent thus far however decided it was time to actually say something instead of just sitting in the room watching and listening.

[member="Vorhi Alestrani"]
[member="Serian Loria"]
[member="Ember Rekali"]
[member="Feena Mason"]
[member="Keter"]
[member="Salem Norongachi"]
[member="Isley Verd"]
[member="Curupira Hawk"]
[member="Ket Van Derveld"]
[member="Manu Xextos"]

Norongachi hadn't noticed the blonde before. That wasn't a slight again her, he barely registered anyone that hadn't somehow peaked his interest.

"Death is to simple? Its not as much fun?" If a bantha walked into the council chambers and jumped onto the table then dropped onto its forelegs and juggled a jawa with its hind it wouldn't have received such an incredulous stare as [member="Phoebe Verd"] was getting right now.

"I have an idea, why don't we take the mans intestines, tie them to a tree and force him to walk around it until he's really really sorry? Better yet!" A hand slapped the table in mock enthusiasm. "How about we stuff a fire wasp hive down his knickers and make him whistle a tune in D minor?" He tutted then, blew a plume of smoke from his mouth and then set the cigarra between his teeth before standing.

"When democracy has run its course, let me know." With that the raven haired Master made his exit and wished for nothing more than to eradicate the memory cells of that experience with a healthy dose of alcohol.

Vorhi's tone grew rather...cold. Distant. Like a surgeon describing the removal of a tumor to classroom. No visceral details. Just, calm, icy analysis. "This isn't about fun, Miss Verd," he said, trying his damnedest not to punch anyone in the teeth as he stood up calmly. "It isn't about righteous indignation or even about what we, as people, think is right," he said calmly. "It is not about vengeance, either. It is about the law. There is no legal means to offer a sentence of death, and I shall not ask the council to draft an addendum simply because I would love nothing more than to smash Bane's skull between my hands like an over-ripe melon filled with egomania," he said, the callousness of the words from his lips emerging calmly. "I've seen full-on vendettas and vengeance--I've lived through enough of those. This council is beholden to the law, which is clear on these matters. The plan of apprehension, however, will be a team effort, will be overseen by Templar and CIS miltary leadership," he said flatly.

"If we can't get him to come quietly, than we will use force to detain him. If that means severing his limbs, loading him up with force-deadening drugs, or breaking half the bones in his body, so be it--I am not demanding his apprehension be that of a pacifistic nature, that's an unrealistic plan. But he WILL stand trial for his crimes. He WILL be sentenced by the law. Are there any further votes, or motions?" He said, gazing around the room. "Ket, your desire to see this matter handled as a capital offense will be made in the record. However, unless you have a legal grounds to add such to the indictment, I'm afraid we cannot do such a thing."

Salem had consented before leaving, and a few other had voted aye. This one wouldn't be unanimous, but it was looking to be a majority even without his abstention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom