Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Cosmos: Never Forget

War will never change, people hold on to these fictional places as if they are more precious than gold. And I think we need to start realizing just what they really are, words on pages that create this world that is both beautiful and disgusting. A world filled with beautiful images and amazing sights even if we can't see them with our own eyes. Even if we have to imagine it in our own beautiful way. But at the end of the day no matter how beautiful we all perceive it to be in our own minds they are still just works of fiction that hold nothing in our lives. People need to look at that and see it for what it is, a name on a map. We need to start telling stories of struggle and hardship through the fight and ugliness that is war. To be shaped by it and carry our burdens of those people we have lost along the way.

I don't think people realize it but when a star destroyer gets sunk that's ten thousand souls gone in the blink of an eye. That is enough people to fill up ball parks, start colonies, continue life as we know it and yet when they die people write their characters just shrugging off the fact that they either killed 10000 people or the just watched so many good people go to their deaths. We need to as a community to come together and see what war is really like. War isn't a duel between two people on the ground fighting and trading insults and having a pissing contest. War is about that person next to you who is willing to die so you can go home and see your wife, your husband, your children and grand children. And it's made up of millions of those people standing next to one another

War is about honoring and fighting for those who went into the howling darkness and did not return. We define ourselves as people who don't feel that, the bloody campaigns and the playing to win some fictional spot on a map. So I challenge you all, the next time you are in a invasion, or in a skirmish, feel for that NPC who lost their life, feel for the people who are there to support your character. Just because they are NPCs doesn't mean they don't have place in the galaxy. Remember those who have died to get your character where they are, and have your character feel from their sacrifice. So don't play to win, don't stress over fictional places. Tell a story win or lose and above all have fun. Thank you for reading this. I hope you found it useful

Amazing, truly inspiring! I wish more people would speak and think like this! I could cry. *tears well in eyes*
My father is in the armed forces and has had personal experience on the front lines. I have learned a lot from him and I see war and battle much the same way as you said we should.

Sometimes when I think that way I can't watch any movies that are made today, I have to go back to old TV shows and whatnot to get away from all the killing.
I think about all the poor "NPS" in the movies that are killed without a second thought and I can truly feel sad for those who find it unmoving.

I agree with you 100%, I back this utterly and completely. War is not pretty and there is NO glamor in it. It is ugly and the killing is a blight upon us as a species. The NPC is the most important person, he is the one who changes the game he is the one that will never be remembered and will leave the greatest impact on our lives.

Moira is a paper clip maximiser with no ethical programming who wants to carry out genocide, for she dreams of the end of organics. She is incapable of feeling anything. For that is inefficient. The sooner organics are removed, the better.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
I'm still a 15 year old high school jock at heart. I gave up writing potent stories and extra eloquently epic space operas a long time ago. I harbor no lofty goals of quality over quantity anymore. My perspective ignores as many dead NPCs as it does the genre's necessitating plot-holes. Hell, if my threads reach over 20 posts and there was an fun explosion or two along the way? I smile, drink a coke, and call it a day.

Good enough for me.

Now. They say that as you get older that your supposed to get better at this. You learn to write better. That you get bigger, stronger, faster, and more competent with your tales. You push the limits of your fiction and actually start to grow into something resembling an author, an editor, or a social media heiress. You begin to want more. Write more. Win more. Become an adult. Things like that. Your tastes change and suddenly all those silly stories from your past just aren't enough for you anymore. That you start to need things like: respect, praise, grandeur, gold, and professionalism in your writing. 5 star ratings, epic prose, and a maybe even a high-five celebratory RP campaign that lasts 10 years or more.

I don't want any of that as I get older.

If I can just sit back down at a table of high school aged nerds and just jam out for an afternoon without having to worry about grammar Nazis, monthly bills, or my Xbox Live subscription expiring. Yeah... Mission Complete. This community rocks. 1st world problems.

War is hell and it is damn-straight inspiring to read a tale that can interweave all of it's complexities together and still come out on top. Teach a moral, educate a bystander, or just let you remember why killing another human beings can never leave you feeling wonderful inside. But at the end of my day of Roleplaying, I'll gladly settle for a bedtime story with only shadows to the novel's masterpiece. Because my war. My struggle. ...Is just writing that first opening sentence, posting again to that second forgotten thread, or getting down that hundredth opening post to my one millionth sparring session of 2016.

My war is remembering why we're all here in the first place. To just have fun. :D

I think I am a realist and that's why war is something my characters nearly never want to be a part of. Almost all of my characters are pacifists because of the one reason: war destroys lives. That's why I don't want to participate in many Skirmishes or Invasions. That's why I am strange.

That's what I call realistic.

But if there was no way to prevent a war and my characters had to go fighting, they would help others, they would stay away from killing. Would. Because I don't want to send them to any wars.

Beowoof

Morality Policeman :)
[member="Supreme Overlord Dredge"] <- This man gets it.

Guys, killing is not fun for normal people. I know this is Star Wars, and therefore not much is actually 'normal'. But really, except in rare situations, taking a life is not something a mentally sound person should celebrate. The Nazis were evil. But does that mean that every one of the young men and women who fought for Hitler's Germany believed in the ideals and maliciously set out to slaughter others? Absolutely not. Many of them were good people who didn't have much of a choice.

It's easy to brush it off in our culture. People get killed all the time in movies now and we don't even blink, as [member="Rafeesh"] pointed out. In Star Wars, it's even easier because most of the troops are bucketheads. But imagine taking the helmet off and seeing the face. Suddenly that person is a little more human.

Take it a step further and imagine your character--the character you've worked hard and written harder to develop--and imagine their life suddenly snuffed out. Not cool, right? But it's war, unfortunately. That's how things go. But how would you feel if the person who just destroyed everything you had invested into that personality just continued on their merry way, unfeeling, unregretting--completely indifferent that they had just ruined all hope for future story?

NPCs are going to die. Again, this is Star Wars, and the second word in that title is 'Wars'. But be thoughtful of it. Not many people can kill someone without losing sleep over it.

What [member="Beowoof"] said about being given something to cover the face is one of the most used techniques to make killing in movies more understandable. When someone sees a death if the dead has something covering his/her face or does not look like a human then the person cannot fully connect with the person. Its a psychological fact.

That is the reason we have stormtroopers with helmets, or Orcs which are monsters without souls and are evil. They can't fully connect with the people who watches them die.

LaxKnight

Not Worthy...Yet
As someone who is actually in the military, your words touched me. Granted I haven't deployed yet but I will in the near future and I've been through training. I try and bring some of that into play when I RP soldiers. It may be fun to think that you are some awesome dude popping headshots (even we joke about that), but reality is there is no respawn timer and sometimes things don't go with what you imagine it to be. It's gruesome, hard, and possibly soul crushing even if you aren't fighting on the front lines. Thank you for sharing your words [member="Supreme Overlord Dredge"]

Of course, RPing a pacifist who deliberately doesn’t kill like I do is a way of showing the other side of things.
War is hell, but those characters who are generals, admirals, Sith or other warlord types I think understand that their jobs rely around warfare and death. They might seek to limit casualties on their side and even the enemy, but if you’re writing one of those you have to write them as they actually would be.

With Sith, you kinda have to post like their an emotional sadist with no care for human life, which is sadly due to Mr.Lucas's (Did I say that correctly?) universe. He wrote Sith as having no emotion about death and purely evil killing machines, like what [member=Rafeesh] wrote about Orcs. If they have no emotion, we cant relate. The only way you can really write this in is if your anything but a dark-sider.

[member="Supreme Overlord Dredge"]

You know. There was a time you told me to let the NPC die instead of saving them because they were just an NPC. I'm actually happy to see you write this. And that's not sarcasm or a snarky remark.

[member="Rafeesh"]

As for you! Orcs have a soul. Orcs have a life. I played a character named Daichi Windwalker, Blademaster of the Horde, runt of his clan. He was an Orc. He went to sleep every day watching his comerades deaths' play through his head. He punched an Orc who out ranked him because he had chosen to sacrifice lower grunts to get a win. Orc's aren't as soulless as you think!

Unless they're LotR orcs. Then they tots are.

[member="Darth Ferus"]
LOTR Orcs, not WoW or any other Orc.
That was Tolkien intent was to give an enemy that people would more willingly accept the death of. One without a chance of being saved.

sabrina

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom