Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Bigger Problems [Omega]

Qae Shena

Super Shaper Puppy!
The report sitting on her desk was troubling. In fact, 'troubling' didn't put it quite well. Admiral Allaina Mare was worried about what was going to happen in the very near future if something wasn't done to remedy the situation. Her fleet was over-stretched and over-taxed. The supplies of vehicles and vessels was literally not being delivered because there just weren't any to send out. Demand from the factories could not be handled.

The Omega Protectorate was officially over-taxed. Rapid promses to defend too many planets meant more requisite forces, and those requisites did not exist. They might own shipyards, but ships and tanks just didn't magically appear. These numbers, these figures, were all extremely worrying. Add to the fact that the Protectorate had to deal with Bando Gora raiding groups on supply lines and that meant a disaster waiting to happen. Right now, the cruisers were still being developed, as were the battleships. There just wasn't a fleet to go around. Omega Pyre was still waiting on their supposed master ship, the Wraith-class.

Allaina had to act, and soon, if the integrity of the Protectorate's trade was to stand. This constant over-expansion was starting to backfire.

Messages were sent out. An open forum, held on Fondor, in the rebuilt post-Clockwork invasion Omega Tower's biggest room.

A summit, to deal with the lack of force Omega had to bear, and how they could wield their might the best. Reports and numbers were attached for the Exarches and the Colonels - and those numbers were scary at best. Who would have the best idea?

Siobhan was quick to show up at the meeting. Despite her dislike of formal meetings and paperwork, she did try and take her duties seriously, after all!

Needless to say she was less familiar with the statistics than say Admiral Mare or Exarch Alcori would be, but the fact remained that the conquest of Eriadu had caused strain on Omega Pyre. Its mercenaries were in high demand, especially now due to the rumours of a confrontation between the Republic and the Empire, but they were also needed for rapid action against threats such as pirates and the Bando Gora.

Moreover, what might be a particularly source of concern was the fact that the Bando Gora base remained elusive. They had also not been able to verify who was behind the zombie outbreak on Denon, given that no one had been left alive to interrogate.

To deal with threats quickly, Omega Pyre had decided to create a number of strike forces in the aftermath of the Eriadu conquest, based on Corellia, Eriadu, Naboo and with the reserve force on Fondor. Each battalion would have its own turf and a certain freedom of action to deal with threats rapidly. This was how General Guyenne hoped to avoid overstretch issues.

Siobhan was by her very nature an offensive-minded person, she did not like the uncertainty. So it was with this in mind that she took the turbolift up to the floor of the conference room in the Omega Tower. The walls of were covered by large holographic displays and maps, detailing crisis regions, threats, statistics of resources, computers and processors were arrayed. A galactic holomap on a table displayed the territory controlled by Omega, coloured in burgundy.

Tegaea Alcori arrived at the meeting shortly after Siobhan. She glanced at the maps. She knew them all already. She returned @[member="Allaina Mare"]'s and @[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"]'s salutes.
"Good morning, ladies, despite the conditions we find ourselves in, I trust you are well?"

@[member="Allaina Mare"], @[member="Tegaea Alcori"]

"Oh, I'm good, boss. I've been recently forced to use my brain and read things, but good," Siobhan said with a small smile, pulling up a chair and sitting down. She gave the maps a brief glance. It was the same conference room the Omega Pyre command met to discuss issues, so she wasn't unfamiliar with the layout.

"So we've got strategy issues to discuss. Resources, overstretch and all that." Despite the levity in her tone, deep down Siobhan was serious and she placed a small filmsie folder on the table, with aurebesh sigils that designated it as Omega Pyre's.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Lieutenant Roberts entered the meeting in a grey uniform and held a large data-pad underneath her left arm. She gave a crisp, comfortable salute.

"Admiral Aubresh sends his apologizes. Lieutenant Roberts standing in."

Karen noticed that the map was already updated, so she made to stand at attention nearer the side. She was here to be seen, not heard. So the Jedi woman remained, beautiful and radiant as ever. She could take notes and follow along.

Sarge, present as always and just as hidden as he typically was, simply could not believe the shade of blue that woman's hair was. He was here for security more than to talk strategy, but that blue. What was up with that? If that was natural, he was probably going to stab someone.

Literally.

Aiden Mercer

Part Man, Part Machine, All Badass
Aiden made his way in for the meeting, strolling in casually. He offered up a more formal salute as he came in and found himself a nice little spot of his own for the duration of the meeting. "Sergeant Major Mercer, here to sit in." He said as he took a seat. Aiden wasn't really here to give his opinion, not that he didn't have one, it just didn't seem his place. Truth be told, he just liked sitting in on these types of meetings, it was peaceful compared to the things he was usually asked to do. But, if he did have to end up giving an opinion on this particular matter, he would.

The subtle clang from every other step echoed through the corridor as Nyos entered. Placing himself on the wall, Nyos quietly observed the group, placing each face into his memory. He read part of the briefing but Nyos wasn't really paying attention. He knew there was an issue of being spread too thin but knew it would take more than just a meeting to get things going. He gave a polite nod towards Exarch Alcori as he met her eyes. Nyos was new to the OP but was quick to make sure he put his full effort into it, because he knew it was his best option for survival and redemption in the galaxy.

Cira

C
Cira wasn't too long. Her sure stride brought her to the chamber and just as smoothly she slid into her seat. Her attention for now, was on the sheets of filmsi in front of her, as well as her datapad for the update on the day's events.

Thadd Zarr

T
Thadd also walked in behind Cira. He wore his standard black uniform with red trimming. A red omega pyre logo embroidered on his left shoulder and gave the uniform a bit of accent to it. Thadd acknowledged all his superiors in the room and gave a quick salute. He didnt want to interrupt if there was already a dialog in progress. He carried in his personal data pad as well. Even though he was a soldier, a mercenary in the omega pyre division, he took the future of the protectorate seriously. He wasn't privy to all the financial details but he would listen, and give his two cents if needed. Thadd felt his place was here, and even though the protectorate wasn't perfect logistically, it was the best medium to acomplish what he felt the galaxy needed, order and security.

He took his seat at the far end of the table tapping his data pad activating the latest report that summarized the meeting. He waited patiently for the meeting to start.

Anika Od'Manteiv

A
On one of the far seats, a holoarray came to life. The striking image of a dark haired woman in full regalia. It was Queen Arielle K'ntarr. She was here representing Rydonni Prime; she came fully prepared to relay just what her world had to offer.

Almost at the same time as the queen appeared, so too did a hologram of Ayden materialize. It was clear that he was busy, as numerous data pads could be seen strewn across his desk.The issue at hand was one he was already dealing with. He understood the matter at hand, as it was one he had seen coming for some time. But while he anticipated it, he could not have foreseen the crises that had arose that demanded Omega intervention, naturally expediting the problem. So it seemed only natural for him to participate in the summit when asked. At the same time, his position demanded his attention, so he couldn't spare the time to travel. Thus, hologram teleconference.

Looking around, he noticed the two dozen figures that were present; some he knew personally, others he did not. Most were in person, but some, like him, were not physically present. With a glance to the Prex, Ayden turned his attention to the person who had called the summit. "Admiral Mare. I think we're all here. Perhaps it's time to explain the nature of this summit. What is it that has you concerned?"

Sarge looked around slowly, sizing up everyone in the room. "So uh...", he begins lamely, "...we gonna talk about this because if we don't do something soon, I'm just gonna stare at her hair because for some reason it's just holding my attention."

A hand appeared from the air to point at @[member="Karen Roberts"] , "Seriously. That hair is fantastic." It wasn't even a come-on. Just fact.

@[member="Sarge Potteiger"]

Linna sniffed gently. In her opinion, her own hair -- whether white or purple; it varied -- surpassed Karen's.

As Communications Director, she waited. After all, she needed something to spin.

(Time to get this moving.)

Since the Admiral was so hesitant to speak, or perhaps preoccupied, Tegaea rose.
"My friends, the last few years have been good for us. When I joined OP we were a small bunch of mercenaries living by invitation on Fondor. Now, we control the space lanes from Eriadu to Corellia. However, this expansion and success has stretched us out, and frankly we don't have the resources to continue expansion. We need to consolidate what we have. I have discussed matter with Admiral Mare before, as well as @[member="Cira"] and @[member="Ayden Cater"]. What's needed is a detailed internal policy. I have one, and I believe it is what we should put in place to ensure the stability and strength of the Protectorate. For a start, are are going to have to reexamine the taxes paid by our worlds. Currently there is a flat 1% tax on all transactions. That must be raised to 2.5%. The Protectorate is swimming in money, but we are getting only a fraction of it. Furthermore, the customs duties and tolls for trading through our worlds needs to be centralised and reformed. Only those ships the Republic authorises for preferential treatment will get the reduced charges. As it is now any ship with a Republic port gets that...which is about two thirds of our ships."
"So we get more money, probably 30-40% more. What do do with it? We need powerful, long ranged patrol ships which can move quickly to any sign or piracy and close it down. We need an increase in weaponry and armour manufacturing. Every Omega Pyre soldier should have the best weapons. We also need to increase training for the local ODF units, and ensure the fleet is up to spec."
"But above all, we need to maintain at least cordial relations with the Republic. We do not want them to turn against us...though they'd be foolish to. We need to stop, take a breath, and live up to our goals of the Protectorate - don't be evil!"
She smiled, sat, waited for someone to reply.

Qae Shena

Super Shaper Puppy!
Allaina had to wave Tegaea down. Just... no. "Sit down, Exarch, and let me field this one."

The holoprojection stayed where it was and Allaina moved towards it, gesturing to the map. "That kind of thinking is exactly what caused this problem and it needs to stop right now. We're being too greedy. In terms of both territorial holdings and production rates, we've rapidly expanded comparable only to the holdings of the Sith Empire, whose resource and production capacity massively outstrips ours. As it stands, we have twenty-five systems currently under preferred status with literally hundreds more also under our protection. The best example is the Tapani Sector, which is wholly under our control; it has a massive eighty-eight systems alone. Our fleet cannot realistically defend this much space, which is causing problems left and right."

There was so much more to basic logistics than 'build stuff and hope for the best'. None of them were apparently seeing this. Allaina held up her hand and started ticking items off. "For one, production is already at full capacity. We can't ask our factories to produce more than they legitimately can. New technologies are rolling off the production lines as fast as they possibly can be developed and factories re-tooled to pump it out - and we'd have to spend money we barely have to make more factories. Second, we may control plenty of worlds but that doesn't mean we have the resources to build infinitely. In fact, resources are a hard premium to come by and we just don't have the power or position to control them. Third, our fleet is literally overstretched. We can't defend much of anything with the current power projection we have. We barely have the vessels to post one or two in each system and that spells trouble, as well as breaking the Protectorate agreement."

She folded her arms. This was what happened when you put inexperienced people in control of a government. Things went wrong. "This situation is actually more difficult than just 'raise taxes and everything goes away.' This is why I called this meeting. This requires an innovative solution that just pitching to the Exarches and the Lady Protector will allow. So, floor's open. Ideas?"

Siobhan did not have innovative ideas but spoke up. Her role was a tactical one, she was focused on immediate and concrete military threats. "Omega Pyre is in the process of rationalising its internal organisation," she reported. "Our forces can't get stretched across the Protectorate, specially since we're a strike force and our PMC component is in high demand. So we're setting up a series of large bases with a battalion-strength force on Eriadu, Naboo, Corellia and a reserve on Fondor. Each must be responsible for that sector of space and be capable of rapid deployment. We're working on training local militias and cooperating with local security forces to take pressure off and perform patrols, particularly integrating elements of the old Eriaduan army."

Some data screens flickered to life, detailing information on Bando Gora activities for the others to scrutinise. Gaining intel had proved problematic, most cultists would rather die than be taken captive, often taking poison to avoid it. "The Bando Gora remain our immediate threat. We beat them at Naboo, but that was just a small force, our supply lines keep getting hit. Sure, the Cultists take heavy casualties, but they have reserves and haven't even thrown their force-users onto the battlefield yet. MICO suspects they're stirring up trouble on some of our less-well-off worlds, using cults to ensnare locals from poorer backgrounds and turn them into obedient slaves with their modified deathsticks, along with taking over pirate flottilas."

She shrugged. The problem, or rather one of them, lay in the fact that their best forces were spread across such a wide space empire, which was why the drive to expansion had to be curbed. The Protectorate was fortunate that it did not have an enemy big enough to necessitate a large-scale mobilisation. "Other people can talk logistics better than me, but to win we gotta find where they're striking from and cut the beast's head off. Before they really get the chance to muster a sizeable force. As it is, they're mobile and able to hit us where we're momentarily weak and pull back. We can't wait for them to get numbers up and discover a chink in our armour. Technologically and training-wise they're far inferior to us, but we can't do this by half-measures."

Two vastly different reports, two vastly different problems, though there was some loose connections between the two. Ayden nodded as the Admiral spoke, agreeing roughly with her projected statement of the situation at hand. Things were certainly dire, though the dangers that the Admiral seemed to fear were, in his judgement, minimal at best. The Sith were occupied with the northern half of the galaxy. There were militant trade guilds and pirates to deal with, but they were a constant threat, one that much of the Mid and Outer Rim had learned to expect and deal with. Perhaps she knew something that he did, though Ayden doubted that rather soundly. Considering Corellia was literally the mouth through with the Republic, and any other northern faction, connected to OmegaPyre, there wasn't much that he wouldn't hear.

And while he might not agree with the Admiral's assessment of the external threats, there was certainly no denying her internal threat assessment. "I am forced to concur with Admiral Mare's assessment. On Corellia alone, there's been a fourteen hundred percent increase in starship production, in parts and whole, within the last year. Factory accidents are up one hundred thirty-seven percent. And none of this addresses the fact that we're having to simultaneously repair the devastation from the Clockwork Siege." He eyed everyone in the room as he gave his own sit-rep. There was certainly no room for disillusions here; they had stretched themselves thin. However, there was good news in the same basket.

"However, recruitment offices are reporting similarly a similarly massive influx of willing recruits across the board. Where manpower is concerned, if other systems have reports similar to this one then we won't find ourselves wanting for able-bodies." He picked up a different datapad and glanced over it, while taking a moment to drink from a glass and recover. "And now as far as the matter of security, I already have a temporary measure in place to alleviate some of the stress." Data screens across the boardroom table flickered as Ayden remotely sent a number of reports for them to read over.

"I've already begun working with CorSec and other local system authorities to find willing captains to arm their vessels for the security of all. These privateers will have the same authority as our police forces. Namely, they will be charged with patrolling the hyperlanes and systems within my sector of Omega space. They will report to the same authority as our forces, and they will be held to much the same standard." He let the datapad rest on the table as he nodded in quiet acknowledgement. "It's not a perfect solution. It's not the long-term solution. But this is a measure I believe every system in OmegaPyre territory should undertake."

Nyos watched silently as each idea was tossed into the "pot" on the table. Revise this, amend that, raise this, and away with that; it was all theory at this point. Nyos knew he wasn't as "versed" in these matters, but he felt the urge to speak. "Delegate" he said plainly.
"With each idea you all throw in, none are pulled out and attempted, save for Ayden's. I agree we are in need of change, but contradicting one another hasn't worked for ANY government I've ever seen. Pull together a few ideas most likely to work, then...Delegate. If any of my superiors require volunteers, I shall put myself on the list first."
Nyos paused because he knew he wasn't exactly trusted/known yet, but finalized, "Admiral, you're correct; Tegs you're as well. Each point has validity. So as soon as you find the commonality within your plans, let me know and I shall do as much as possible to see them through."
And with that, Nyos politely excused himself from the meeting, as he knew what he said would be taken only with a grain of salt (or more).

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Karen smiled and nodded at @[member="Sarge Potteiger"] 's comment. Flattery will get you everywhere. Though she did not respond to the strange soldier or his idle fascinations. The meeting was now underway.

She remained quiet and listened passively at best. Doing her best not to be completely bored to death.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom