Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Vehicle TG-11 "Thunderer" Artillery Droid

Status
Not open for further replies.
srsFxhb.jpg
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: Droid Artillery
  • Role: Artillery
  • Size: Average
  • Weight: Average
  • Barrel Length: 8 metres
  • Armaments: Extreme
    • 200 mm Artillery Coilgun
  • Defences: Average
  • Manoeuvrability Rating: Low
  • Speed Rating: Low
  • Propulsion: Quadrupedal
  • Minimum Crew: Integrated Droid Brain
  • Optimal Crew: Integrated Droid Brain
  • Passenger Capacity: N/A
  • Cargo Capacity: Low | 20 200 mm Artillery Shells
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Effectively a coilgun with legs, a droid brain, and various auxiliary systems, the Thunderer is a simple yet effective design able to propel shells towards distant targets, traditionally as part of sieges or to eliminate hostile landing crafts. Though the shells themselves remain mostly the same, the warhead is interchangeable - proton shells and cluster munitions ("popcorn shells") are the most common, though EMP shells, CryoBan warheads, and even small nuclear bombs are not uncommon. Unique payloads available to specific factions, groups, or individuals may be used in a similar fashion, such as the Sith Empire's Deathmist and Hellpyre.
  • Thunderers are outfitted with all the systems and features one would expect of an automated artillery platform, among them:
    • Advanced Long-Range Targetting Suite
    • Standard 360-degree Sensor Suite
    • Advanced Slicing Countermeasures
    • Encrypted Communications Suite
    • Magno-grip All-Terrain Legs
    • Advanced Ionisation Buffer
    • TDM-7-B "Verity" Morality Chip
STRENGTHS
  • Bring the Thunder: Aptly named, the Thunderer is able to lay down a steady barrage of fifteen shells per minute at long distances; with sufficiently powerful munitions, such as proton shells, it can even pose a threat to capital ships.
  • All-Terrain Artillery: Like many walkers, the Thunderer is able to traverse all but the most hostile of terrain with minimal difficulty; not confined merely to planets, its magno-grip legs are able to traverse asteroids and the hulls of starships alike.
  • Defensive Screen: While unshielded, the Thunderer is heavily armoured and features launch mechanisms for flares and smokescreens.
WEAKNESSES
  • Close and Personal: The Thunderer has no antipersonnel weapons whatsoever; a Jedi could chop its legs off, sure, but even your average militiaman should be able to take it out through sabotage if they can get close enough without getting blown to pieces.
  • Supply Lines: Unlike the J-1 of yore, the Thunderer is able to store around twenty shells within its form - useful, sure, but a steady supply of new ammunition is still needed for anything more than a minute or so of continuous fire.
  • Sitting Duck: The Thunderer is mobile enough to reposition itself, but rarely fast enough to avoid return fire, let alone keep up with armoured divisions. Better hope slow and steady wins the race because it's not capable of anything else.
DESCRIPTION
Commissioned by the Erakhian Federation as part of an initiative to revitalise its defensive infrastructure in response to the "deterioration state of galactic relations", the Thunderer was designed for defence in depth, its mobility allowing for continuous firing even during a controlled retreat, so long as supply lines hold and rapidly moving elements of the hostile force are repelled, typically by saturation bombardment, mines, and skirmishers.

Despite its original purpose being defensive, the Thunderer is just as capable of being used offensively or doubling down on the defensive by making use of the entirely stationary variant, which is incorporated into military fortifications and very occasionally starships, though the latter is fairly impractical under most circumstances.

In accordance with its "firmly held ethical principles", TriTech's Thunderer is supposedly only sold to "responsible agents", a term which the sales division has enthusiastically interpreted to mean "virtually anyone, so long as they're not pirates, genocidal maniacs, or enemies of the Erakhian Federation". At the time of writing, the Erakhian Federation has no major enemies to speak of.

As if to exemplify the lax nature of its screening process, manufacturing rights were almost immediately sold to the Sith Empire.

Last edited:
Aha - I leaned towards using that template, actually, but I ultimately decided that its small (by vehicle standards) and entirely unmanned nature made the droid template more appropriate. Anyway, I switched templates but kept the "Classification" and "Misc. Equipment" fields from the droid template, due to the nature of this "vehicle". "Barrel Length" is also nonstandard, but that was also in the previous iteration.

As a matter of taste, I also changed "Unique payloads available to specific factions may be used in a similar fashion, such as the Sith Empire's Deathmist and Hellpyre." to "factions, groups, or individuals".

For the sake of transparency, the Deathmist mentioned above is a Minor Production item - I am aware of the rules regarding production ratings, that is in fact why it was included as I wanted to make clear that one can pretty much put anything (within reason) within artillery shells, so long as one's faction has access to it; TriTech would really only provide the basic variants, that being proton shells, cluster munitions, and maybe EMP shells.

As always, thank you for reviewing my submission and if anything is out of order, even if only slightly, let me know and I'll fix it ASAP.

Ravenfire Ravenfire

Ravenfire

King of Pumpkins
Eocin Chiyat Eocin Chiyat
So misc equipment I think could be folded into special features instead as it is their to add on anything that doesn't fit in the rest of the template.
As for the rest I like that you are using other shells as examples of what can be fired should a faction or person have access to other ordnance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom