Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faction Tears of Gold | CIS

CIS-Header.png

NABOO
Confederate Capital, 1215 Local Time
Social-Side.png

The Chambers of the Viceroyalty had been assembled once again.

This time, a Joint Session had been called - thereby welcoming representation from each branch of the Confederate government. The docket for the day, due to its controversial nature, had been closed to the public. The Confederate news outlets would receive no update until the decision had been made, for or against. The Galaxy would not hear until the Viceroyalty had their say. Thus, as the pods began to fill, the boisterous voice of the Speaker began to call the meeting to order. The Twi'lek, aging and wrought with wisdom, stepped forward to the podium. His voice, thunderous, was almost such that he did not require a microphone. Yet, his tone echoed from every corner, and throughout each pod's mounted speakers.

"Ladies and Gentlemen of the Confederacy, this Joint Session of the Viceroyalty is hereby called to order." he began. "Today, the Presidium has a proposal for your consideration: JR 860AU1-1. The details of which have been provided to your datapads. I now yield the floor to our Vicelord to introduce the bill." When last the Vicelord had introduced legislation, it had been in the form of the landmark Executive Order: Confederacy First. This would mark the first instance since then that a proposal had come from his branch. Nonetheless, the sharply dressed man rose from his seat and approached the podium. A knowing nod was offered to his Exarch Adron Malvern Adron Malvern in passing - for it was the sovereign of Ilyria who co-authored the proposal of the day.

With either hand placed upon the podium, Darth Metus Darth Metus addressed his people.

"My fellow Confederates!"

"Several months ago, we took a mighty risk when declaring our intention to keep the Confederacy First. The response, Galaxy-wide, was critical. We were warned by financiers the world over against our vision, told that it would bring our nation to ruin. I am delighted to report that these assertions were false.."

"The Ministry of Commerce has been carefully monitoring our economy since the declaration and, despite the critical response, the Confederacy is strong. Our people are prosperous, our corporations are succeeding, and now the time has come to take yet another step into the future."

"The HERO Act will, firstly, formalize our response to any calamity which requires evacuation. We propose that, within each Sector, a member world be designated as a Fortress. New facilities will be established for housing any evacuees and a greater military presence will be found upon each. We will also install waypoints and stations throughout each Sector for ease of navigation."

"Secondly, the HERO Act will introduce our own standard credit. To your datapads, I have provided the Ministry of Commerce's projections for our currency's strength. If implemented today, a single Federal Credit would equate to 1.18 Galactic Standard Credits."

"Implementing this currency will be no small task. Thus, the HERO Act will see a Federal Reserve established to coin and distribute the Federal Credits. This will exist under the supervision of the Ministry of Commerce. I yield the floor for deliberation."

Now, the floor had been opened. The Viceroyalty, the Presidium, and observers from the Knights Obsidian were cleared to speak.

1 Federal Credit (FC) = 1.8 Galactic Standard Credit (GSC)
  • 1 FC = 2 SIA (Sith Empire)
  • 1 FC = 200 TAL (Outer Planets Alliance)
  • 1 FC = 215 RKA (Ra'Katha)
  • 1 FC = 550 FIS (First Order)
  • 1 FC = 1078 SOL (Thyrsus)

New_Project_6.gif

S O V E R E I G N

Tag: Darth Metus Darth Metus

Change seemed to be fresh and abound in the Confederacy.

Bastille had not been isolated from the news about the cataclysm that had shaken the Knights of Obsidian, the judicial order of warriors who wielded the Force, and who stood as the supreme enforcers of the law. And now, the members of the Presidium, those who wielded that very same mystical power, were now looking to capitalize off of it.

Could Bastille really fault them for playing their nature? No more than he could fault himself for being surprised, that was to be sure.

He sat in his seat, flanked by two guards of the Aran'kha, silently watching as the beginning proceedings unfolded. A statement and proposition by the Vicelord, no doubt. . . this wasn't some lackey's work. As expected, the man began to praise the actions of the Confederacy First mandates, which had been a corrupt breach of powers divided between the legislature and Presidium. Going on, talking about the prosperity and strength it had brought to the Confederacy. Bastille just barely suppressed a roll of his eyes at that. But he wasn't surprised -- tyrants were hardly introspective.

Thankfully, the Vicelord moved away from self-praise and into the actual matter at hand. And initially, it seemed to be not the most outlandish of suggestions. The establishment of Fortress Worlds wasn't the worst of ideas to come from the Presidium, though it hardly had any competition. But Bastille felt his eyes narrow as suddenly the Vicelord launched into the proposal of a new standard currency, one that would shake the fiscal bonds that had been established by the Galactic Standard Credit. Those narrow eyes turned into a raised eyebrow as he saw the exchange rates that had been placed, seemingly arbitrary, on the credit.

The man had given no explanation to what exactly this kind of credit would be, nor how it would be funded, let alone any specifics at all. And he -- the Presidium -- expected the Viceroyalty to pass it, like loyal lapdogs? The last time the Presidium had been allowed to interfere with economic matters, its result had been the Confederacy First mandate. Bastille was determined to not let that same mistake. Pressing a button on his pod notifying the Speaker, the aging Twi'lek turned his head and twin-lekkus towards him. "The floor is given to the Representative of Ra'Katha."

Bastille stood, sweeping his robes from under him, and drawing up to his full height. "Fellow colleagues and assembled members of the Confederacy government, I want to begin by giving my support for the first measure of this bill," he said, raising a hand in an indication towards the Vicelord, "that would establish worlds designated as a refuge for those whose homes fall prey to terrorists or other threats that our Presidium is unprepared to handle." It was a statement of support that worked dually as an attack at the Presidium. Bastille was the viper today, he was on the hunt. For his point to be made, the credibility of the Presidium must be cast into doubt.

"What I do call into question, however," he said as his voice changed to a mock rhetorical tone, "is the Vicelord's statement of economic stability. I will allow that perhaps these tariffs introduced, against the powers granted to the Presidium via the Charter, were not complete misfortunes. I have no doubt that those planets in the manufacturing or resource facilitation industries, that being those who held exclusive deals with member worlds of the Confederacy, were able to benefit somewhat off of them. There might have been even corporations and worlds that were able to cut losses, Ra'Katha being one of them. But the last incursion the Presidium made into economic affairs resulted at the end of galactic free trade. But perhaps what the Vicelord fails to take into account is the business lost, to foreign clients or to the exodus of corporations that took place, the potential for further growth likewise lost, and the fraying of relations with fellow nations that used to be our staunch allies."

"Much of that damage has been repaired,"
he continued, refraining from raising his voice, even by the slightest degree, and instead enunciating with clarity and brevity, "and it is my prayer that one day it will be as if those measures were never taken. But history seems to be repeating itself. Now the Presidium seems to alter our currency, and to that, I ask, what was the issue with the trade and exchange brought by the establishment of the galactic standard credit? Is the Presidium prepared to take on the duties of exchange with every foreign and domestic buyer, or have they not taken that into their calculation? It would seem not, given this lackluster excuse of a plan presented in this legislation."

"I am using my voice today,"
Bastille finished, his tone now low and commanding, "to urge you to not let the Vicelord once again upset the economic balance that the hardworking citizens of the Confederacy have worked so hard to create for his own gain. If we were, or are, to vote, my proposal is to strike any implementation of a federal credit from this legislation and to solely pass the first measure of this act, the implementation of refuge worlds throughout the Confederacy."

"I submit these thoughts,"
he said finally, "to the Viceroyalty, and yield the floor." And with that, the Viceroy of Ra'Katha took his seat, his fiery speech over. Although his tone and inflection had all held the grace of the finest diplomat, his words carried weight and power throughout the chamber. Bastille was more than just a diplomat, and unlike at the meeting concerning Confederacy First, he was prepared to take the Presidium head-on.

kisspng-touching-eternity-fire-flower-combustion-flowers-burn-5a7b5c4164b550-04835877151803398541253.png

Hester sat at her podium, dressed in a proud Vermillion gown, a high collar clutching her neck tightly, her firey hair let loose to sit on her shoulders, blending to create an image of fire. Her lips were painted a bright red to match and a single white line of paint stood in the middle of her lips, forming a point. She listened to the Vicelord speek to the assembled throng, her chest tightening with emotion. She felt compelled to speak at this auspicious proposal. She sat contemplatively as Excellency Rommer spoke, his usual distrust and contempt for this particular Vicelord evident in his usual pointed and guarded manner. She was sure he respectd the office of the Vicelord, perhaps just not the current occupant. She was sure he was determined. How determined.

She waited for recognition from the Chair and stood.

“Excellent Viceroys of the Confederacy. Vicelord. I stand before you, humbled by this proposition. For the foresight and tenacity to modernise our Confederacy of Independent States, the Vicelord is to be commended.”

She nodded at the Vicelord, the faintest smile detectable. She motioned to the Viceroys present.

“There will be those that decry this proposal. There are those that will call it folly or taint it with their own short-sightedness. There will be those that use this as a means of weaponizing their own agenda and attack the very validity of the balance of the institutions enshrined in our Charter.

I say to them this; if they cannot put their own pride asunder for a single instance, when the future prosperity of our independent state, free from the yolk of galactic control, is the question proposed, then I very much question the validity of their mandate.”

She daren't glance over.

Independence. A word that is so often conflated with being closed off. Sealed away. Scared to engage, reliant on stubborn eagerness to pursue one’s own path, despite the needs of those around oneself. There are those that will argue this proposal will denigrate the notion of ‘Self-determination’.

I say to those that would deny it, that this is precisely what an independent Confederacy needs. It needs its own means met from within its own borders. And what better a statement than to forge our own currency. A credit created by the people of the CIS, FOR the people of the CIS. Not something drawn from across the stretch of the Galaxy but something handled by the Naboo, spent in Fondor, invested in Bassadro and shipped to Wrea.

The very integrity of our proud Confederacy is ensured by the unparalleled commitment of our armed forces to protecting our borders, our assets, our very citizens from threats both foreign and domestic.

To accept the sacrifice of our brave soldiers with one hand and then hand them money from the grasped hands of our enemies is both an insult and a denigration. This we can give them; something to hold when they long to be home, a credit worth the blood of Confederacy.”

She allowed herself to take this moment in.

“The Cataclysm has wreaked untold damage to our staunch Union. It has claimed the lives of countless civilians, each one a tragedy. As we bury our dead, rebuild our homes, and invest in our futures, we look forward. The Vicelord proposes that we sure up our ability to respond to threats from within and without.

By investing in our capability to respond to disasters, both natural and those perpetrated by our enemies, we send a clear message to the very people we are enshrined to protect.

We tell them that they are valued.

We tell them they are beyond a tool for bargaining with.

We tell them that they merit grave and serious preventative measures to ensure their safety in the initial response to all that may threaten us.

To accept this is no weakness. To allow our citizens the security that they may rest assured in our nation’s ability to respond with haste and profundity of resolve is the very nature of our purpose in assembly today.”

She smiled at the sight before her, her voice in full vigor and impassioned.

“Members. Excellencies. Confederates. We have, today, a chance to enshrine in the very legal foundation of our democracy the guarantee to every citizen that their life matters. That their livelihood matters. And that their future is assured.

By protecting their homes.

By protecting their jobs.

By protecting our ability to create and expand upon the very foundation of Confederate life; that first, and foremost, the Confederacy of Independent States will do all it can to uphold the civil and social contract it has entered into with the citizens who choose to live amongst our stars. For it is in that we find the true essence of our brotherhood, our promise of betterment. The promise of our Confederacy.”

“I commend the Vicelord for this proposal and yield to the floor.”

Maliphant sat idle at his desk, a holopen in one hand and a drink in the other. Work had become taxing, more so than he thought imaginable since already he had the fastest AI known to mortal kind managing most of his business affairs - thanks to the technomancy help of Caulder Dune Caulder Dune . Even still, more than a few documents required his specific oversight to see the proper running of the IGBC, or its massive subsidiary, Jaeger. Not everyone cared to do business with an AI controlled weapons company, so Maliphant had to make a proper split of his business through ‘organic and automation’ lest he incur heavy penalties from the more liberal institutions in the galaxy.​
Mr. Harper?”, Cybele rang to life on a small projector at the end of his desk. From behind glasses perched on his nose, Maliphant glanced up with a cock of his brow -​
Something wrong, Cybele?”, he asked her, sensing a slight concern in her voice.​
The Confederacy is at it again.”​
The statement was simple, but it flooded Maliphant’s mind with the headaches they had caused already. In his desperate attempts to stop them from crashing their economy, they had still not fully recovered from the woefully unprepared attempts they made at isolation - leave alone the seemingly permanent damage they did to galactic free trade throughout the galaxy. He grimaced at the thought, and nodded to her as he set down his pen and drink. Maliphant already had a guess as to who would’ve brought up the same old rhetoric as before.​
As the council meeting showed itself to the Cybele and her hacking procedures unknowingly, Maliphant cringed even deeper. Metus, the fiscal fool that he was, was proposing a plan that was half baked - though Maliphant could agree the first half was at least baked well enough. The second, however, was a slap in his face - perhaps more direct than the Dark Lord of the Purple Sith intended. Scowling, Maliphant watched the man speak about shredding the bottom line of Maliphant’s deal with the Confederacy, and in turn, shredding Maliphant’s own net worth.​
The only saving grace would seem to come from the sensical words of Bastille Rommer Bastille Rommer . How careless Metus had become in following this deeply flawed fantasy of self-sufficiency, isolationism, and idea that this would make his nation more powerful. All grand mistakes, and mistakes the man continued to make despite the best council he could afford - driving Maliphant to assume the Dark Side had imparted a touch of dementia on the Sith.​
Would you like me to set up a meeting with the Vicelords, Mr. Harper?”, Cybele asked him - the dutiful assistant that she was.​
No. It did little good last time besides give me a throbbing headache, and I don’t much care for another. I warned them of this last time, but if they continue to isolate themselves with this ‘Confederacy First’ nonsense, give them an ultimatum.”, he said with a voice full of scorn. This would no doubt be on his mind the rest of the day, ruining the dinner reservation he had planned.​
Send the Ministry of Economics a letter of intent. If they do not cease this Confederacy First nonsense, Jaeger and all willing IGBC subsidiaries will permanently remove themselves from the Confederate markets until they do. Cutting the IGBC from their fiscal policy will see Jaeger and its assets cut from their military.”, he dictated with authority to the small hologram before him.​
Even if they choose to follow through with this nonsense, it would hardly be profitable to continue to run Jaeger imports through their all too poor infrastructure at this rate. Better we sell to the Imperial Order, or the Galactic Alliance for all I care.”, Maliphant said with a dismissive wave of his hand.​
Bring me another drink. I’m done with work for today.”​

Last edited:

Vuul

V
Vuul sat among the delegates quietly, having been among the first assembled. This was his first session properly representing Vylmira on a galactic scale. Though he had the honor of sitting upon the First Council, so he was not entirely unversed in high politics. He watched quietly as the Vicelord offered a bill to the floor. Introducing a new currency, and the idea of Fortress Worlds. Vuul frowned slightly at the idea of Fortress worlds. Not that he disapproved, but because Vylmira had unofficially BEEN one such world before the Cataclysm.

Vuul watched quietly as the Ra'Katha diplomat immediately spoke out against the bill. Of course. It did not benefit Ra'katha, thus it must be a primal evil. Vuul sighed under his breath, shaking his head. How unfortunate for the good people of Ra'Katha that their leader could not enforce his iron will across the galaxy and lead them to the prosperity they so deserved. Then Viceroy Hester spoke. Scariff was far more caring of those around them, and this was made clear in Hester's address, speaking to the heart of the Confederate people. Speaking of cooperation. Protection. Something Vuul held in the utmost importance at this moment.

As Viceroy Hester yielded the floor, Vuul stood. His voice carried across the chamber aided by electronic means. Even speaking at full strength, it was barely more than a whisper. Hoarse and damaged was his voice. His frame, as did many from the once mighty planet of Vylmira, still bore the scars of that terrible day.

"Honorable beings of the Confederacy. I, along with Viceroy Hester, think that the ideas of Fortress worlds are sound. As many of you may already know, Vylmira strove to offer such to its surrounding neighbors. That, of course, is little more than wishful thinking now. But an ideal that my people support whole heartedly."

Vuul turned to look at Viceroy Rommer. "Though I was not present, I was...made aware of this body's prior session. I am impressed that you posess the gall to call this a lackluster excuse, after the abysmal grab for more economic status you provided. And quite frankly I feel you ought to be ashamed of yourself, Rommer, that you find yourself unable to look past your own nose. You speak of the economic hardships endured by your people? At least they still live. If so desperate for work, are they, then let them come and fill the halls of Vylmira, who's vibrant economy has died with its people. Might I suggest that you look to your own economic advisors and adapt to change, rather than attempting to bully the entirety of a galactic nation into bending to your whims because you yourselves are unable to change with the times?"

Vuul let the question hang for a moment, then turned back to the assembly as a whole. "Vylmira supports this decision by the Vicelord, and has recommendations for Fortress World selections when the time is appropriate. We, for one, shall vote in favor of this new proposal. The floor is yours."

WEARING: xxx
TAG: Darth Metus Darth Metus | Bastille Rommer Bastille Rommer | Hester Shedo Hester Shedo | Vuul

Daegon sat and listened as ever with the listening ear of his wife Seraphina Corvinus Seraphina Corvinus at his side. The two were one in all thing, and in this arena, the Diathim beauty was a master player. Those who knew of her prowess in this game either admired her, envied her, or carried a modicum of disdain. The Demon of Thyferra knew he was much better because of her. There were moments where the soft touch of her hand on the top of his stayed him, kept from speaking his mind when it would be ill advised to do so. Today, that staying hand would only keep him from wording what he had to say out of anger or frustration.​
The Demon shook his head as he looked at the measure before them. It was just like the Presidium, or any political body for that matter, to tie two matters together that were unrelated. In this case one of the measures was good, and it made sense. The other needed time, more debate, but was so wholly connected that the resolution presented to them did not allow them to be separated. To reject one meant they would reject the whole, and Daegon was conflicted.​
For once, to a degree, Daegon found himself agreeing with Rommer. He sighed as the other began to speak. It seemed they were so in favor of Fortress Worlds they were ignoring the other issue at hand. It was an underhanded attempt to implement a new standard credit under the guise of protecting the people.​
Daegon rose.​
"The speaker recognizes the Viceroy of Thyferra."
The Demon cleared his throat, and began to speak.​
"On the matter of Fortress worlds I could not agree whole heartedly, however I cannot put my support behind this legislation. To say that it is underhanded at best is as kind as I can find myself to be in the present moment. Attached to this bill is the adoption of a new standard credit, which should be wholly unconnected to whether we establish Fortress Worlds and act in the best interest of protecting our own. It was not that long ago we discussed the issue of whether we would accept a proposal from the IGBC to adopt their credit, and while I was not fully convinced it was in our best interest to sign over controlling interest in our currency for unsubstantiated rates of return, I was willing to listen."
A hand motioned toward the Vicelord.​
"Our Vicelord even seemed interested in seeing the proof then. His words being something to effect that the details of the proposal and subsequent data be delivered to the Ministry of Commerce for review, and full report given to us for a discussion at a later time. Perhaps this is that later time, but I for one expected a matter such as paramount to our economy and financial health be discussed as its own issue. Does such a monumental decision merit its own legislature and its own session?"
"Mr. Rommer spoke of tarrifs, but to my knowledge this body has yet to ratify them. Does the projection on this credit include our decision to ratify potentially crippling tarrifs, or without them? Will we expect all Confederate worlds to adopt this credit? How will the conversion rates impact planets like my own, or Fondors, and other worlds which have galactic wide contracts? These are questions that we should be able to address in full, but cannot as long as it attached to a defense measure."
"At this point in time, parliamentary procedure does not allow us to simply strike the adoption of a new credit from the bill. The resolution before us to adopt this bill or to reject it. Therefore, I implore this body to overwhelmingly reject the resolution before us, and have it sent back to committee with explicit instructions that this body would like to see these items in two separate resolutions. This is the only way that we will be able to discuss the proper merits of both in a manner that does not force us to reject what its right and good because of something that we may or may not be ready to adopt."
Daegon looked to the speaker.​
"Mr. Speaker, I speak against this resolution, and yield the floor."

Equipment: Formal Attire, and a can do attitude

Tags: Vuul Bastille Rommer Bastille Rommer Darth Metus Darth Metus Hester Shedo Hester Shedo Darth Empyrean Darth Empyrean

Draconis would sit in his seat, this time timely arrived by his own standards to allow for him to personally hear out each of the proposals as they came in. Draconis would listen to the speaker, and the other fellow Confederates speak on behalf of their respective systems. Each had their merits, some misguided and others with their hearts in the right place. Some spoke of tariffs being disastrous, which Draconis scoffed at the notion. Some brought up that they thought this bill was a little too large, including two completely separate subjects to debate over. That Draconis agreed on. This did need to be debated separately, but not because he disagreed with either proposal. In fact, Draconis was quite in favor of both, but people were dancing around why. Skirting the very edge of it, without actually touching it. Did this seem underhanded? Possibly, but Draconis had every reason to believe the Vicelord was acting with the best of intentions. Not one to try and deceive his fellow Confederates as if they suffered, would not he as well?

Draconis would stand, this time only taking off his coat as the shirt he got was more loose than his last addition. He rolled up the sleeves to his elbows to allow for him to think as he spoke, nodding to the speaker in hopes of being recognized. The Twi'lek would glare at him for his more, revealing attempt at speaking last time in the assembly. But Draconis was better prepared this time as he stepped to the front of his pod in front of his fellow countrymen.

"The speaker recognizes the Viceroy-elect of Surric," The slight edge was meant to put Draconis on notice that he was being much more closely watched this time.

"Thank you speaker, and I apologize for the rudeness of my previous speech in this body," He would pause and breath deeply to gather his thoughts before speaking.

"Brothers and Sisters of our glorious Confederacy, it is I, Draconis of the Surric System. I speak to you as not a Viceroy-elect from the Surric System, not as a warrior and commander and a leader of our brave men and women at arms. I speak to you now as a citizen of our great and mighty Confederacy. I have heard people speak ill of the actions of Confederacy first here in this body. Some of you may even believe that I would be such a proponent against such a policy. But I am afraid that I must inform you, that Confederacy first was not only embraced by my people, but also me. You say complete and total free trade is the way things should be, and while that may be true, in order to house the most robust and competitive free market in the galaxy we must foster growth and development here at home. And how else to do so than by enforcing a series of tariffs and duties to let the small business owners, the small mom and pop bakeries, the family owned mechanics shops, the craftsmen and women of your own world to be able to ply their craft. You speak ill of these supposedly evil taxes and yet you forget that is exactly what protects those of us at home. How else is a bakery supposed to compete with the pre-packaged mass producing might a mega-corp that lies outside of our space brings? How are these tradesmen and women supposed to do good quality work, hard work, for a livable wage when you would have them compete at the get go with corporations with mountains of resources and money so they can monopolize our very economy. You claim to be leaders of this body, defenders of our great Confederacy and yet,"

"You would not only welcome but openly support economic terrorism in our own borders,"
"Fortress worlds are by any means a wonderful idea for defense, training and organization of the CIS's wondrous military. Surric itself has turned itself into a veritable fortress world due to our position along a major hyperlane, on the border of our great Confederacy, and having just come out of strife ourselves. But what good is a fortress world when your people cannot work, and then cannot feed themselves? When the only option for survival is to rely on either government support or working for the benefit of someone hundreds if not thousands of light years outside of our very own space? What will you do then, when the people beyond our borders declare that our money is worthless to them, that we have no bartering power without sacrificing the blood and sovereignty of our own people?!?! Are you willing, nay-" His hand would close into a fist and slam into his podium "ARE YOU PREPARED FOR THE SACRIFICES THAT WILL BE REQUIRED? As many of you probably know, Surric was once in the hands of corporations like these. Forcing my people, my brothers and sisters, sons and daughters of this very body to live in chattel slavery because it served an external corporation's bottom line. Confederacy First freed my people, gave them the courage to overthrow the reigns of such corrupt overlords. I have had to build our entire system's economy from the ground up because of this devastating conflict. We must draw a line in the sand. We must have an answer for this very grave situation. And without an alternative, I will, nay, I MUST, vote in favor for both pieces of this legislation. We cannot be slaves to a power beyond our borders, whether it's through literal chains on our bodies, or risking financial ruin at some banker's whim. Our financial security and freedom should be secured by the sweat of our citizens' and residents' brows, the brilliance of our engineers and techs, and the collective will of our Confederacy. We must have means to defend ourselves, not only from military, diplomatic, and cultural threats, but financial ones as well. If we do not guarantee our ability to stand on our own. If we leave our fate in someone else's hands, we risk oblivion. We must protect all within our mighty Confederacy, from any and all aggression. That is our sworn duty as Viceroys. The Viceroy-Elect of the Surric System will vote in favor of both pieces of legislation, however noting that I wish for both to be separate,"

Draconis could feel the sweat on his face. He'd forgotten to turn on his microphone, probably for the better as he knew when he got worked up, he got loud. But he knew each and every word spoken would be heard. The man's booming voice was used to yelling over incoming artillery shells and fighting in the thick of war zones. He was used to commanding those both in times of war, and peace. He'd learned to project it over the years. They had to understand that while this was a massive risk, that doing nothing would invite even greater calamity in the case of someone else deciding their fate. And how fickle bankers could be. His chest would finally settle down as he took a step back.

"Speaker, thank you. I yield the floor,"

RedDiv.png

P A C T

Tag: Bastille Rommer Bastille Rommer , Vuul, Daegon Corvinus Daegon Corvinus , Draconis Sederius Wolf Draconis Sederius Wolf

Scarif. Vylmira. Ukio.

The legislation of the day was indeed contentious - enough so that the camera droids that would typically be buzzing about were not present. The session featured a joint resolution that would address homeland and economic concerns. Fortress Worlds to formalize evacuation efforts, no doubt a response from the recent assaults on Ryloth, Siskeen, Rodia, and Talay. And the implementation of a standard credit for the Confederacy. This was an interesting proposition, one that would color the way the nation did business moving forward.

Agravain tarried in his seat for a few moments whilst his peers and fellows presented their thoughts on the matter. His comrades within the Abrion Pact had said their piece: support for the bill at hand was made. The Viceroy-elect of Surric joined in supporting the bill, though his mindset was far from following party lines. In terms of opposition, Thyferra and Ra'Katha were strongly opposed. Thyferra's concerns were justified in Agravain's opinion, whilst Ra'Katha's were less so. Both worlds were wildly prosperous - Thyferra due to its bacta contracts, Ra'Katha due to its iconic location.

For now, the time had come for Ukio to have its say. Agravain rose from his seat.

"The speaker recognizes the Viceroy of Ukio."

"You have my thanks, Speaker." he began, before offering nods of respect towards the center podium. "Ukio is a quiet world. Ours is an economy which relies upon trading the fruits of our lands by trade. Like Thyferra's bacta, our foodstuff reaches across the Galaxy - and thus there are many worlds which would starve without us. Because of this, I understand my peer's - the esteemed Viceroy of Thyferra - concerns when it comes to adopting the standard credit."

"However, there are a few reasons why Ukio will ultimately vote in favor of this bill." Pact mentality aside. "Firstly, the Ministry of Commerce has diligently published their quarterly reports - it is no secret that the Confederacy as a whole is doing well, despite the reactions of our neighbor and third-party entities. I do not believe that the Presidium would stand before us, asking to adopt a currency if our economy battered, bleeding, and damned."

"Secondly, I believe that the tariffs Viceroy Rommer speaks of are the sister mandate of the CIS First Executive Order. These tariffs are on imported goods and have no affect on the export contracts that any of our worlds take part in. I will remind this body that, while the Presidium has the power to set into place these Orders, they only exist insofar as we allow them. If Ra'Katha or Thyferra or any other world in our midst wishes for the orders to be abolished, they can call a session to do just that - rather than posturing and pointing fingers."

"Thirdly, consider the other nations of the Galaxy. Our deceased ally, the Outer Planets Alliance, had their own currency in the Talon. The Sith Empire has its own currency in the Autarch. How is it that, despite their idelogical differences, these nations both have their own standard currencies? From what I am hearing, their economies should have been in shambles for daring to do so. While I am not in support of the ideals of other nations, we have proof that adopting one's own currency is not a crippling action."

"Lastly, the implementation of Fortress Worlds seems to be a common sense edict. This is something that should have been implemented long ago. Thus I find no fault in it being associated with this bill. Ukio stands in support of this bill.

Ukio had fully justified reasons for standing in support of the Bill. Yet a priority was simply duty to his neighbors. Abrion stood as one.​

New_Project_6.gif
S O V E R E I G N

Tag: Darth Metus Darth Metus | Hester Shedo Hester Shedo | Vuul | Daegon Corvinus Daegon Corvinus | Draconis Sederius Wolf Draconis Sederius Wolf | Agravain Agravain

Bastille could not pretend to be surprised at the economic ineptitude and ignorance displayed by his fellow colleagues -- a term that was truly a stretch, when considering the amount of contention he had with many of them -- but all the same it galled him every session. As Viceroy after Viceroy announced their support for this new bill, Bastille scoffed inwardly at every one of them.

Did they think that economics was a child's fantasy, one that could be messed with and adjusted at a whim? The Presidium's monumental proposition, a new national currency, was not some plaything. It was serious, and until the Presidium and the rest of the Viceroyalty would decide to take it seriously and make a proposition with an actual
plan, Bastille could not give it his serious support.

Once more, the representative of Ra'Katha called for the attention of the floor, and once more he stood.
"My fellow Viceroys and others," he said, his tone that of a parent admonishing their children, "I concur with the Viceroy of Thyferra that this bill addresses to completely separate issues. This act should be rejected in order to write pieces of legislation each for the two purposes addressed by this bill.”

"There are those who speak of the economic prosperity that the Confederacy has been enjoying, however relative that may be. But what of the galaxy-wide economic crash that followed the announcement and implementation of the Confederacy First mandate? Do the reports of the Ministry of Commerce mention the thirty-two percent decline of total trade to the Confederacy, with the Starbird Trade Spine -- a hyperroute forged with the specific intent of bypassing the Confederacy completely -- nearly eliminating all incoming commerce to the Confederacy from the Core? There are representatives on the floor that have talked about the importance of protecting local, small business, and I agree fully with them. But what of the millions of jobs laid off by corporations who left in the mass exodus from the Confederacy?" Turning to the other side of the chamber, he continued on with his speech. "The Confederacy First mandate brought an economic downturn not only on the Confederacy but the galaxy as a whole. The statistics that the Presidium waves are our slow recovery from their mistakes, and now they wish to wade us into another economic crisis."

"The time will come soon when we can hopefully right the wrongs of the Confederacy First mandate. But our first priority in this meeting should be to prevent another disaster of that scale from happening again. Once more, I repeat: move to erase all mentions of a national currency from this bill and table that discussion until an actual, comprehensive plan can be brought forth from whatever party who wishes to see it be implemented. Our priority should be the defense of our citizens, not the wholesale destruction of their fiscal stability."

"I cannot in good conscience commit my support to a bill that so bullishly rushes into complicated fiscal measures and policies. I call for this bill to be rejected in so that the matter of fortress worlds and a national currency can be written and debated as seperate pieces of legislation. I submit these thoughts to the Viceroyalty,"
Bastille finished. He had neglected to address the childish and unsubstantiated attacks that had been leveled at him, nor would he think of doing so. Unlike his fellow Viceroys, this was not a game, some great spectacle of political play and machinations.

This was serious. And it was time that his fellow colleagues remove their pride, remove their grudges, and take these matters seriously, too.

Last edited:
illyrian300.png

VICEROY

Never suffer the mouth of a fool.

The Exarch had been sitting silently as his eyes befell one person to speak after another. While the prospect of Fortress Worlds seem to be received quite well, the matter of a Confederate credit are a far different matter entirely.

His amethyst eyes looked to those in the chamber while his master, Darth Metus Darth Metus sat beside him. He looked to the man with a knowing expression before subtly waving his hand at the gathering before them. "We knew this would be the result. While the thought of protecting the Confederacy with open arms and willful military is always a fond topic, the Viceroyalty remains split in the economy of our state. Some believe we are hemorrhaging credits due to the actions of Confederacy First and the subsequent trade changes." A falsehood. Certainly there had been a drastic shift in The Confederacy's income, however it was not something so substantial that it could force them into decline.

As the esteemed Bastille Rommer Bastille Rommer began to speak the Exarch could not help but chuckle softly before looking to the Vicelord pointedly. "I recall my days in the Imperial Senate. A man such as him would have been found dead in his loft. Terrible tragedy. He speaks from the heart, which I admire, yet his mind does not have the privilege of filtering those whims. Still, he is a loyal man. Loyal to the Confederacy." The final words he said pointedly as if to speak of something more.

Another had caught his eyes. Hester Shedo Hester Shedo was a young, beautiful woman who showed much promise. "Now Viceroy Shedo? She is an interesting one. Fire and presence. Though it seems she forgets how effectively small her voice is in a chamber such as this. She has a knack for standing against Viceroy Rommer on matters of principle. Perhaps I am reading into the two of them too much." He said, not caring to discuss it any longer.

"If the Confederate credit goes into place then I will turn my eyes to Rommer. He will have a reaction that we must watch for. Him and Viceroy Corvinus. Both are men with a singular vision, one that I do not believe aligns with your own." He remarked.

wrappingpaper.png

Teac Sadru

T

P O S T U R I N G

The representative of Kamino listened quietly to the debate thus far, his large eyes focusing on each of the speakers in turn though he himself never stirred rather as the scientist he was he continued to observe the proceedings. As usual, things went along the way as they usually did legislation was raised, motions for or against are heard and some voices feigned indignation or some slight, such was the reason that Kamino felt their presence had been necessary at such gatherings. That opinion that Kamino had was slowly being changed by his instance to the ruling council.

When there was, at last, a break in the debate the Viceroy of Kamino signaled the speaker and began to move his pod forward, Kaminoan’s were not known for grand speeches, simply he would make an argument and leave it to those who actually heard his words.

“The speaker recognizes the representative from Kamino”

Teac now stood from his seat to his full measure, turning to look directly at the Viceroy of Ra’Katha grey eyes focusing solely upon him. “Vicelord, Viceroys” he gave a noticeably short nod almost as though he cared little for the titles “I find it curious, it seems of late whenever a proposal to strengthen the Confederacy as a whole comes forward there are some rather…. loud voices who are very quick to take a stance that frankly benefits them the most. Creating a new currency does not mean all other currencies are invalidated, surely none here are that naive as to think that?” he would allow the question to hang but a moment.

“I also find it curious how when proposals that benefit a single world are brought forward, we are short-sighted for wanting a commission to study the effects of said legislation. However, when that situation is reversed, a commission seems to be warranted? No, all establishing a new currency does is strengthens our economy against external attacks by third parties outside of our borders, which I assume is where this antagonism is coming from. Those outside of our borders does not set the policy of the Confederacy of Independent Systems. Kamino seconds the Vicelords proposal.”

Teac sat back down in his seat and returned the pod to its original position, he would wait for the vote and speak no further.

starryteal.png

Last edited by a moderator:
WEARING: xxx
TAG: Darth Metus Darth Metus | Bastille Rommer Bastille Rommer | Hester Shedo Hester Shedo | Vuul | Darth Empyrean Darth Empyrean | Adron Malvern Adron Malvern | Agravain Agravain | Teac Sadru

Daegon sat and listened as more voices poured out in support of the currency. He shook his head and chuckled as he rose to take the podium in his pod once more.​
"The speaker recognizes the Viceroy of Thyferra."
The Demon nodded to the speaker before addressing the assembly once more.​
"My dear colleagues, you seem to, with you speeches, be making my point for me. Never once did I say I was against a federal credit, and those who would say that I have done so have either did not listen to what I said, or have their own prejudices against me. My point is simply that both these issues are separate, and both deserve the merit of their own legislation. The protection of our borders along with the creation of fortress worlds, and the adoption of a new currency, are not complementary issues. They are mutually exclusive, and should be treated as such."
"As I have listened, not one has made a solid argument for both in the same issue. Many of you have spoken to either one or the other without giving any consideration to the other. The very actions and words of this body point out that these matters are separate and wholly unconnected and should be discussed as such. That is my only point, and that is I would like to see this bill sent back to committee, so that it can be presented to us in a manner that is logical, and does not destroy the integrity of either proposal."
His eyes scanned the room.​
"Give me two bills that can be discussed in equal measure so that I can vote on each based on their merit, that is not an unreasonable request, and it is what is required for the integrity of this body."
Was Daegon making his appeal based on the ethics of what they were doing, in part, yes. Daegon saw this as an opportunity for the Confederacy to make a distinction. While both measures would consider what was best for the Confederacy at large, discussing them separately would at least show the galaxy at large the move to protect their borders was not an isolationist move.​
The Demon continued.​
"There are those who have deemed the CIS First mandates as isolationism, and while I would like to think that many in this room understand that is not the case, we now have an opportunity to demonstrate that the notion of neutrality is not isolationism. Let our critics say what they will, but we can accomplish both of these items in such a way that it does not give them any more fodder for their propaganda machines."
Deagon turned and took his seat.​

Elsasca Selcoc

E

linuriheader.png

Bickering.

This was all it was. As each Viceroy countered the other's proposition, Elsasca's head moved to and fro as if watching a ball game. It was comical. A slight smirk graced her lips at Hester Shedo Hester Shedo 's tantrum. Clearly the woman harboured some irritability towards the Viceroy of Ra'Katha. Finally something interesting to watch.

Some have spoken some good pieces here and there, but the one with the most common sense in this chamber was Daegon Corvinus Daegon Corvinus . She never thought she'd agree with the Viceroy of Thyferra, but here she was. So when he spoke his second piece and yielded the floor once more, Ela rose from her seat.

"The speaker recognizes the Viceroy of Linuri."

"Thank you." she told the Speaker. Her ice-blue gaze then swept over the room. "Vicelord, fellow Viceroys, I do feel inclined to agree with the gentlemen of Thyferra and Ra'Katha." she said, her cold voice ringing through the room. She then turned her icy gaze at Agravain Agravain with the slight incline of her head. "I have noted the aggressive points made by the Viceroy of Ukio about this bill. I would ask him, however, to check on his own posturing before pointing his own fingers at others." she quipped before facing the room again.

"As the Viceroy from Thyferra has so aptly put it, this bill can easily be split into two and bring about much better results. I agree and urge the Presidium to bring us something to properly vote on. This hopping on one foot or the other will bring us nothing but unbalance and an unbalanced circus would only bring us more critique and the banging of chests from outside our borders. If this bill in itself was supposed to strengthen the Confederacy, it is failing miserably, as division is too great within these halls currently."

She turned to the aging Twi'lek and inclined her head.
"Thank you, Mr Speaker. I yield the floor."

linuriheader.png

Left Rather Hungry For More

The proposal in place was carefully read and his ears primed for the voices to speak and be heard. He stood up fluidly and held up the data pad. “First, I wish to once again bring to attention that my planet Arbra, would benefit from refugees. My capitol is growing swiftly, but with that new growth, so too the need for people to fill those hollow places. I very much would like to be considered for a fortress world, as I spent a generous sum of the stipend I was given for said growth into security. It wasn’t so long ago that the Outer Planet Alliance border was so very close to my sector. I took everything that was made available, within budget, to make sure of safety. Being granted Sanctuary status would be good and who in the Confederacy can boast a planet largely pristine and undeveloped like mine?

Arbra was a green and wondrous world, one he was taking great pains to keep that way and building with that in mind. “However. I want more thought put into this currency shift. I’m not wholly against it, but what is to stop those on the outside from simply telling our citizens they are, pardon my language, shit out of luck and denied the exchange into galactic standard credits? It is all well and fine to have what is ours, but the rest of the galaxy can and may choose not to accept our currency. How are we prepared in regards to this possibility? They still can deny us by not shipping their currency for us to do our own inhouse exchanges.

He let that sink in for a moment. “I want a proposal written that is solely on this idea, I want to see the work done to cover all the sneaky and manipulative ways that they might pull so we can see the counter, before I set a decision. Give me two separate proposals, because I like this sanctuary world act, but lack the finer and more intricate details of this currency plan.

He then sat down watching the others. It seemed he wasn’t the only one who had a similar thought.

Raphael Boucher

R
450.png

VOTE

A soft ping erupted from Raphael's datapad. He glanced down at the small device and arched a brow purposefully before turning expectant eyes to where the Vicelord and Exarch sat. It seemed it was more than time for the matter to be put towards the system itself. When it was considered in it's entirety the bill was not bad. A Federal Credit makes sense, especially considering the galactic scene was ever rising and falling with new currency and systems of determining said currency. Why shouldn't the Confederacy set forth such a notion when they make up a considerable portion of the known galaxy.

So with that said, the Viceroy stood tapping a button on the pod so that he may be acknowledged in turn.

The High Speaker of the Assembly raised his hands to quiet the chamber before gesturing towards Raphael.

"This Forum will now recognize the Honorable Viceroy of Illyria." Following Vanir Eris Vanir Eris 's words Raphael looked to the gathering of Viceroys with a rather neutral expression, though his eyes did search the room for a spare moment as if set amongst something so much larger than he was.

"Excuse me. If the question is a vote to the proposition raised by the Office of the Vicelord then I will be calling for that vote to begin. As Viceroy of Illyria I shall set forth to acknowledge and accept this bill." He raised a hand to show his words had come to an end, yet now it would be for the others to decide.

Would others stand with this bill or would the Viceroyalty deny it's ratification?

blackw.png

RedDiv.png

V O T E

Tag: Bastille Rommer Bastille Rommer , Vanir Eris Vanir Eris , Raphael Boucher, Elsasca Selcoc, Daegon Corvinus Daegon Corvinus , Teac Sadru, Vuul, Draconis Sederius Wolf Draconis Sederius Wolf , Hester Shedo Hester Shedo

The icy reception to his stance was duly noted. However, with the rise of the Viceroy of Illyria, the time had come to put the matter to the test.

"Ukio seconds the motion of proceeding to a vote."

Whether or not the bill was accepted in its current state would rest upon the shoulders of the assembly. Agravain, for one, hoped that the Pact would be enough to see the implementation.​

Hester rose to vote.

‘Excellencies, the implementation of these provisions will bring further continued and sustained prosperity to our Confederacy. I look forward to seeing the finer details of these discussed and worked over. I am compelled to vote, on behalf of the people of Scarif, in the affirmative. We wish to see this motion passed.’

She sat, watching to see how the other Viceroys would vote in the coming session.

Test-Banner.png

V O T E

T A G :

Once more the voice of the Speaker boomed about the chambers.

"Illyria's motion to conclude the Deliberation has been seconded by Ukio, and thirded by Scarif." he began. "We shall now move onto the Vote. As it currently exists, the question of ratifying Joint Resolution 860AU1-1 rests in your hands. Please submit your votes electronically via your pod's terminals."

With that said, the Speaker quieted again. Now it was time for democracy to take the floor.

Starla Morello

S
Tags: | Darth Metus Darth Metus | Hester Shedo Hester Shedo | Vuul | Daegon Corvinus Daegon Corvinus | Draconis Sederius Wolf Draconis Sederius Wolf | Agravain Agravain | Bastille Rommer Bastille Rommer | Teac Sadru | Elsasca Selcoc | Vanir Eris Vanir Eris | Adron Malvern Adron Malvern |

----------------------

"Well, how very out of proportion this has all been blown..." This was not a statement made to the other people filling the chamber, in fact, Starla had not even requested that she be acknowledged to speak. It had merely been a statement made, an observation aloud as the other Viceroys in the room continued to batter this proposal around, back and forth in a volley of veiled insults and pot shots to one another. It was almost entertaining, almost.

The Lady Morello had sat within her seat, one leg crossed over the other while she took in the back and forth that had gone on in front of her. Within one hand she continuously turned an old, tarnished device once used as a lighter, around and around between her fingers. The other hand was laid against the armrest of her seat, the fingers there occasionally drumming as the woman sat quietly and listened to the delegation as it pressed on.

Both sides had good points to this argument; In retrospect, this should have been represented to the floor as two separate bills. More information could have been attained, less room for arguments and fussing would have been the result - maybe. Probably not, now that she really considered the fact. Whatever the case, it didn't change Starla's view on the matter. While she did think the proposal could have been handled differently, she did agree with what was being presented - a fact which she did not get the chance to speak up about, and yet did not find herself heartbroken over either. While not by any means afraid of addressing the public, it wasn't in Starla's nature to stand up and get into the middle of verbal squabbles unless her voice was needed about something that wasn't already being said.

The time to vote had been called for, and the fact caused Starla to shift in her seat and sigh through her nose as her attention shifted to the terminal sharing space with her. The fingers of her left hand continued to, more slowly, flip the old lighter between them while she sat and studied the terminal with quite the thoughtful expression. Yes, she already knew what she wanted to do, which way she wanted to vote. There was of course the desire for more information, always. As a woman who ran her own show outside of this whole Viceroyalty thing, the needs of the people and their protection was always at the forefront of her mind. So having all of the details, all of the answers to every question was important.

This was not one of those moments. Perhaps later on, answers to economic, trade, and exchange questions would come, but right now? Now there was only time to vote. For a brief moment, Starla lost her poise long enough to chew thoughtfully on her bottom lip, and then she reached out to her terminal so that she could cast her vote. "Alright Xorrn, we just voted yes, in favor of the new bill." again she spoke aloud to no other but herself and the silent, protective presence always behind her.

Starla supported this despite her lingering questions, and she voted in the affirmative to reflect as such.

New_Project_6.gif

S O V E R E I G N

Tag: Darth Metus Darth Metus | Hester Shedo Hester Shedo | Vuul | Daegon Corvinus Daegon Corvinus | Draconis Sederius Wolf Draconis Sederius Wolf | Agravain Agravain | Adron Malvern Adron Malvern | Teac Sadru | Elsasca Selcoc | Vanir Eris Vanir Eris | Raphael Boucher | Starla Morello

And now was the time of reckoning.

Bastille was prepared to watch in derision as fools uneducated in fiscal policy prepared to completely overhaul the economic balance of the galaxy that had been finally been established after years of careful reconstruction. Coinage, the establishment of a national currency, a mint -- these were all massive nad intricate undertakings, and to do so without even the inkling of a plan was foolhardy. Perhaps that was while it appealed so much to his fellow Viceroyalty.

But then again, perhaps his colleagues would prove Bastille wrong. Nay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom