Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Sword and Shield

Be careful what you wish for.
‘I am not a teacher, but an awakener.’ –Robert Frost

Caltin had not brought Dagos Terrek Dagos Terrek , out on assignment since taking him as a Padawan, this needed to happen but he needed to know what the Padawan still knew. He was already skilled when last they knew each other, but it had been some time since they were around in an official setting.

The image of Jand Talo Jand Talo and his wound was still in his mind from the sniper shot he took. Maybe that is what drove Caltin Vanagor to come up with the idea for the Padawan’s next lesson. This was not something he would normally teach a Padawan, neither one, but the kid was already advanced, capable and ready to move forward. There was not all that much really that the big man truly needed to teach him as a normal Padawan, so the Nagai was going to get a different education.

They were not in Alliance Space for this. They were on Kashyykk among the Wookiees, the Wroshyr trees and all of the other Flora and Fauna. The two NAHK droids were on standby. There were rifles in their hands, actual, powered up, military grade rifles. That was what was going to be the interesting part of this. Don’t worry, they were on their lowest settings. What would they do? How would they react? How quickly will they pick up on what they were learning?

You handled yourself in a manner that you should be proud of on our rescue of Nida Perl Nida Perl , Padawan. However, I told you that I had not properly prepared you for what could have happened. Today, I will rectify that mistake. If you so desire. That is why I wanted you, Dagos, to be involved in this as well. I have complete trust and faith in the both of you. You would not be my Padawan, either if you were, if this were not the case.

However, I cannot be there to protect you, or bail you out on every mission. You have to be able to not only grow from what you learn from me, but grown on your own as well. Thus, we’re out here today. Cool?

TAG: Jand Talo Jand Talo Dagos Terrek Dagos Terrek

resonant-staff-hilt-lit-6.png

"Vanguard" (Secondary - Long Handle)
0cf9376e75158d86a4aaeac9fb408128.jpg

"CONSERVATOR" (Primary - Long Handle)
HK-88 Robes, Battle Armor,Toraynor-Henkan(mind crystal added) Advanced Jedi Utility Belt
Starship: Spectre, (NC-1000 X-wing (Jedi Variant) in the hangar, Dilorian, and Bike both in the cargo bay, the late Karki Eusith's Armor, Shield, Temple Guard Lightsaber mounted on the wall)
Sanctuary Island

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ
jand_spacer.png

It was the first time Jand had seen the Wookiee homeworld.

He was mesmerized, as the sheer size of the trees and native population impressed him, with the Wookiees having been hairy giants of warrior repute. Were it not for Jand accompanying Master Vanagor, he might very well have asked one of the Wookiee warriors to a duel, to determine how his own martial prowess stood up against the forest warriors. But, alas, there was a more poignant purpose to the visit, and Jand understood that such a request was for another time.

So, Jand stood beside his fellow Padawan, Dagos Terrek. The pair hadn't really interacted before now, beyond perhaps mutual pleasantries and the odd passing in the temples, so it would be good to get to gauge the tall Jedi Master's other student more closely. For the moment, however, Jand listened as Master Vanagor spoke and explained his position regarding the purpose of the training visit.

It seemed the large Jedi Master felt truly responsible for Jand's own failure; though, he need not have.

Jand had accepted responsibility.

Nonetheless, it began to dawn on the Nagai that perhaps the training might have something to do with the sniper injury. Yet, how that translated to what might be learned, Jand was unsure, as there were many lessons to be taught with the Force or combat. And when Master Vanagor concluded, Jand nodded, as he glanced toward Dagos, then back to the taller humanoid.

"Thank you, I am glad to have performed well on the mission," Jand said, as he adjusted his shoulders in the Jedi robes he wore. The wound was healed, seen to by a Jedi healer, so perhaps the pang of discomfort was mental. "I am open to whatever training you feel is necessary. Being shot with a sniper rifle was not pleasant, nor would I seek to repeat that. However--"

Jand looked to the large trees around.

"--I would classify this environment as more humid than cool. It should matter little, regarding training. I am eager to learn."

Kashyyyk. It had grown to be like a second home to the young korunai padawaan. The Force was strong here, immensely so. It had been so intense that it had taken him three days to be able to keep his head from swimming when he had first come to the temple that had been home to The Silver Jedi. That had been two years ago though and now Dagos welcomed the intense rush of power. He swam in it much like he had swam in Kashyyyk’s coastal ocean in the past. It pushed and pulled him, trying to take him this way and that, and there was always the threat of a darkness waiting to swallow him like a savage undercurrent but he was a strong swimmer when it came to The Force.

Caltin spoke. Mostly to Jand, his other padawaan and Dagos did his very best to keep his focus on his master and the other young Jedi. It was not easy going. Dagos wanted very much to reach out with The Force, to send bits and parts of his consciousness flying through the trees and over the grass in search of his friends. There were several wookies he had grown close to in the past and Dagos hoped they had survived the disaster that had taken place here. There was also a wild reek and a young fathier that Dagos had set free from a gang of poachers in one of his adventures. He hoped after this training Caltin would let him go search them out.

Thank you, I am glad to have performed well on the mission," Jand said, bringing Dagos’ focus back to the task at hand.

"I am open to whatever training you feel is necessary. Being shot with a sniper rifle was not pleasant, nor would I seek to repeat that. However--"

Jand looked to the large trees around.

"--I would classify this environment as more humid than cool. It should matter little, regarding training. I am eager to learn." The other padawaan said to their master.

Dagos snorted a laugh at Jand’s observation of the weather. He did not know the other boy well, having only recently officially become one of Caltin’s pupils. Dagos did not know exactly how the aging process worked for Nagai but he thought that he and Jand were around the same biological age, Dagos being sixteen after his most recent birthday. To be clear Dagos wasn’t making fun of the other padawaan, quite the opposite really, Dag was more than a little impressed with Jand’s accomplishments in the field and his ability to handle them. His chuckle had more to do with Jand’s perceived seriousness and Dagos’ knowledge of how Cal liked to joke around. They probably made a heck of a pair.

“Hey, Cal.” Dagos said, finally noticing the droids. They had some wicked looking blaster rifles in their hands. “Are those the fething things gonna be shooting at us?” He asked. Chit. if they were Dagos hadn’t brought his lightsaber. He hoped Cal wouldn’t be too mad about that. It wasn’t even his lightsaber. It was one borrowed from the temple, he had yet to actually make his own.

Caltin Vanagor Caltin Vanagor Jand Talo Jand Talo

Jand was… “Jand”. That was who he was and anyone around him could either accept it, or move on. That did not change the fact that he deserved to be here just like everyone else. He was blunt, he was socially awkward, and he was (most of all) a kind heart. Even if the Nagai had yet to realize it. He looked rather uncomfortable in the air that was Kashyyk, no real surprise as this planet did take a little getting used to. It was a great place to learn.

The desire to please was unnecessary, but it was his nature, so it was something that Caltin would not dismiss. That would be demeaning and demoralizing to do to anyone, especially since it was not verbally harmful to anyone around. So the big man just nodded and moved on. He didn’t “shrug it off” but Vanagor was too altruistic to really accept it.

Of course there was something missing.

Dagos was clearly happy again. It was like having this renewed connection to someone has given him a new lease on life and that was good to see. Vanagor had faith in the kid and was thrilled to see him realizing his potential like this. The old Dagos was angry, aggressive, and felt like he was being pushed into everything. This Dagos looked like he was as close (if not closer) as Jand was to being Knighted. That was still a little ways away though, so no sense in dwelling on that now. It did irk the big man a little that Dagos called him "Cal", but this is a casual situation so he let it go just as quickly.

Where are my manners? Jand Talo Jand Talo of the New Jedi Order, meet Dagos Terrek Dagos Terrek of the Silver Jedi Concord. Dagos Terrek, meet Jand Talo. To answer your question, “yes” these droids will be shooting at you soon enough. Don’t worry, any hits you take will not be more than a small shock, like from a training saber.

Pressing a button on his vambrace, they both leveled their weapons on the big man and fired. Caltin had used both of these skills for so long that even before he and his connection to the Force were “reborn” in a manner of speaking, it was second nature, he did not need to reach out his hands. However in this case, Caltin did anyway with both hands.

One of the blaster bolts suddenly stopped in mid air. The shimmering, cracking bolt just hung suspended in the air as if frozen. The other bolt slammed into the massive Jedi Master’s hand, telescoping and dissipating into nothing. The energy left absolutely no residual trail and only a “dust” spot on Vanagor’s left hand.

Satisfied with having shown them both of the skills they would learn, if they wanted to, Vanagor turned to the both of them.

You are both skilled Padawans of the Silver Jedi and the New Jedi Order. That means that the more you go out on missions, be it with me or on your own, you will be tested. When I am around, you can trust that I will take control of the situation, but I will not always be. So, you need to be able to handle yourselves.

I trust you, but that can only go so far. One of the issues that I used to have when training students was the inability to let them go off on their own because there was something that I could not put my finger on, but I knew was missing. Then it hit me.

So, today, you will clear your mind and learn to do both Tutaminis, and Force Stasis. These are two skills that I rely on in the field and if you are going to represent me, you should learn of their value as well. These two skills will help you in the worst possible situations, but make no mistake. No one is invincible, they will not keep you from getting hurt at times. A Jedi will always need a clear and objective mind to be able to assess any situation to apply what they have learned.

Pressing another button on his vambrace, the two droids turned to face the Padawans. One on Dagos. One on Jand.

Alright. We are going to pretend that these droids are sentient beings and holding weapons on us. We are also going to pretend that I am not here. I want you to respond to the situation accordingly. The droids are programmed to react accordingly as well. When you're ready, act.

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ
jand_spacer.png

Jand glanced toward Dagos as he snorted, unaware of the joke, but could only assume it was about the observation of weather.

Perhaps it had been another species misunderstanding, as some Nagai could be very honest and forthright with their words, as it helped preserve the personal honor that mattered to them so dearly. Mincing words, deceiving, those were ways to undermine oneself and be caught in lies. That wasn't ideal, but especially not for Nagai, so it was conventional to be raised direct and pointed in mannerisms.

Nonetheless, Jand raised an eyebrow when Dagos called Master Vanagor by his first name, or more accurately a nickname. It did not seem like that kind of laid back affair, with the training in mind somewhat serious. The droids nearby, for example, were not mere pushovers and they were armed with long guns, which may very well have indicated the purpose. Yet, not one to want to assume too much, Jand looked back to the tall Jedi Master, as he began to speak to the pair of Padawans.

"It is good to meet you, Dagos Terrek," Jand said with a nod. "I look forward to providing rivalry to your efforts."

Though, before long, the training lesson was being explained. Jand watched as Master Vanagor provided examples of what was expected. The Padawan's gray eyes narrowed as he focused, observing, and watched as both droids fired - yet, the Jedi Master's reactions to both shots was different, with the first being held in midair and the second being dissipated against the palm.

Intriguing.

In his time, Jand grown up with machinery and engineering. His people were particularly skillful with it. And there had been times, in the past, which had been a surprise and unexplained at the time... small things, mishaps, which Jand and his family had noticed. Moments when Jand seemed to absorb sparks or heat. In fact, it had been one of the first instances that brought to light the young Nagai's Force Sensitivity, as conventional answers had been useless.

Tutaminis.

The word resounded with Jand.

Master Vanagor concluded, and then activated the droids, each targeting a Padawan. Jand kept his lightsaber clipped to his belt, he assumed the point was to try and utilize one of the abilities displayed, to find the method through the Force. In the time Jand had been with the Jedi he had started to find that process a little easier. So, with a calm exhale the Nagai raised his hand, eyes half-closed--

* Ptcheew! *

--and promptly took the low-powered bolt to the chest.

Jand grunted.

He raised his hand again, this time more focused, and the droid fired again. Jand caught the bolt with his palm, but failed to absorb it, as the limb was knocked back with the impact. Jand grunted again, then looked down and noted the scorch mark, to which he clenched his jaw muscles and reached for his lightsaber - which the droid took as another hostile action, as it fired - but Jand's other hand was up and the bolt hit chalk-white skin...

But this time dissipated, albeit crudely with a small shower of sparks, as the Padawan failed to absorb all of the bolt energy.

Still, it had been a positive development.

Not only that, but Jand felt something else - something inside - as though he had been energized, as if the energy had given him energy. There was a building connection to the Force, as if a hydro-tap had been turned on, and what was usually a trickle for Jand was now a fully flowing spout. And with a curiosity at the revelation, the Nagai pointed his palm toward the droid again - and again it fired - only this time the bolt was absorbed completely.

"Master Vanagor..." Jand said slowly, as he tried to find words to explain his situation. "It feels like the more energy I take in, the more I can expend... similar to if my power in the Force was a flat speeder fuel cell that was jump started."

Curious.

"It is good to meet you, Dagos Terrek," Jand said with a nod. "I look forward to providing rivalry to your efforts."

Dagos responded with a smile as bright and as wide as the sun above them. That smile had often been described as charming. It was the kind of smile that took you places, one people just couldn't say no too. He'd also heard it described as brash or cheeky and one instructor had even said it was impudent, like Dag knew something the rest of the galaxy didn't and it was some big joke.

"I can't wait, Jand Talo." He said equal parts charm and cheek.

"Oh chit!" Was all Dagos could think yo say as he watched Cal handle the droid's blaster fire like it was no big deal. What the heck? Was Dag gonna learn this?

No fething way, this chit is dope

"…respond accordingly." Cal finished as the droids now turned their focus on the two padawaans.

"So like we need to do what you did? Cuz chit, I don't know how to d—"

A shot was fired at Jand. Dagos did not see the result but the sounds coming from Jand made him think the droid got the upper hand in that exchange.

The droid paired with Dagos took its turn to fire and sent a blaster bolt flying toward him. Dag did what he usually does and moved. The bolt went whizzing by whistling off into the trees. Three more shots and Dagos dodged them all—some closer than others—as the force flowed through him, enhancing his reflexes and speed.

It was in him, mind, body, and soul. Of all the things he struggled with as a Jedi, turning to and partnering with The Force was not one of them. His connection had been strong since birth and he'd been taught to tap into that connection since before he could walk, it was second nature now. He knew he couldn't keep just dodging the blaster fire—even as he dodged another—he had to do what Cal showed them to do.

The rifle went off again, Dagos did not jump, or dive, or duck, or flinch. He searched his connection and asked The Force to do what needed to be done and so it did.

The blue bolt of energy hung in mid air crackling like lightning held in place by nothing. By him.

Caltin Vanagor Caltin Vanagor Jand Talo Jand Talo

'I am not a teacher, but an awakener.' –Robert Frost

That was.. fast.

Caltin was not expecting them both to be such quick studies, but then again, some things you can just excel at organically. This is why he actually enjoyed doing this. Sure, it was a drain on his already ridiculously busy schedule, but to see the reactions of Padawans like Dagos, like Jand when they realize what they could do. This made him secure in the belief that he was doing the right thing.

Despite the fact that both of them still have a lot to learn about these two skills, they have a stable foundation to build upon. Despite Jand's approach, the big man was not surprised. As with anything and everything in life, the Nagai studied this lesson intently. He will become the Jedi he is capable of becoming through his persistence. This kid is blunt and awkward socially, but he is well on his way. In many ways, he will be a redeemer. There is also a future "Redeemer" standing next to him. Since he had such a strong connection to the Force, he naturally gravitated towards it. Therefore, he needed to find his own path when he was starting to stray. It had to be his decision to come home, even if by accident. Dagos deserves the feeling he is experiencing right now. The exuberance he is exhibiting is contagious.

Caltin half-wanted to get in there too!

What was interesting about the two of them was their choices of skill to practice first. As impressed as Vanagor was at Jand's working through Tutaminis, he was inspired by just how engulfed Dagos was in trying to commit to Force Stasis. They both needed a few tries but neither showed any type of negativity, they simply pressed forward, they were "getting it" and that was an instrumental reason as to why the Force brought them to him.

As they stood, and looked on, Caltin was still speechless. Not a rare feat mind you, but for someone who once again had to be reminded that he had not "seen it all", it was something. Jand's observation was considered.

Sort of. I liken it more to light bouncing off of a mirror. You're really reflecting the energy, sending it outwards and away from you but not in a destructive manner like your lightsaber would. There is an energy equivalent, yes, but you must be mindful that this will tire you out if you use it too much. Either one. With Stasis, you are using quite a bit of Force energy. You may not be affected initially but repeated attempts will be a detriment.

The one thing he was concerned about when deciding to teach this class was the natural feeling of "invincibility" one might get when mastering either skill. Easy enough to nip that in the bud right now.

TAG: Jand Talo Jand Talo Jand Talo Jand Talo Dagos Terrek Dagos Terrek Dagos Terrek Dagos Terrek

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ
jand_spacer.png

It seemed the pair were starting off well.

Jand couldn't really explain how he knew what to do, when it came to Tutaminis, but something within the Nagai clicked. It was fortunate to have a mentor who was knowledgeable, and was canny enough to dictate lessons appropriately, as even in a short time Jand felt he had developed in leaps and bounds. It was a testament to Master Vanagor. His approach, being hands on and supportive, had worked for the pale Padawan, and it seemed Dagos was no different.

With a glance to the side, Jand watched as his fellow Padawan began to use stasis. It looked less stable than the Jedi Master's efforts, obviously, but Dagos exuded a strong presence in the Force, and his own efforts yielded results. In comparison to the other two sentients, Jand's level of Force connection was like a sputtering holo-torch... his presence was minute, lost amid their own.

Yet, that seemed to change, or at least Jand felt so.

Another bolt was fired, this one struck the Nagai in the palm, but he failed to absorb the energy fully. The skin on his hand was scorched, as Jand grunted, but he kept it held outward. It would take more than a low-power blaster shot to make him recoil in pain. Still, Jand turned his attention to the Jedi Master, as the tall sentient began to share his thoughts on how he saw Tutaminis and Stasis.

Interesting.

Jand could see the mirror analogy, yet his immediate experience was like a power cell recharging. Perhaps it was his naturally low connection to the Force. For those that were more powerful, maybe they didn't need to intake energy, to supplement it. There was certainly one aspect that Jand remained fixated on, and that was Master Vanagor's mention of the energy being sent out, of the energy equivalent; as it was, Jand felt bolstered, not to the point of delusion of carelessness, but it felt - deep inside - as though he could... do more with the energy he took in.

"Hold fire," Jand muttered to the droid. "I am curious about something..."

The Padawan turned his attention to the droid itself, to the weapon it carried, and exerted energy over it. The blaster began to shake, as the droid processed what was happening, and clamped tighter onto the grip. Jand slowly turned his hand, curled his fingers inward, and with a burst of telekinesis ripped the blaster free and pulled it toward himself. The droid remained there, disarmed, but undamaged.

"Hm," Jand caught the blaster in his hand. "I have never been able to use such a strong telekinesis effect before."

Jand turned to the Jedi Master.

"I now feel drained, back to what I typically am with my energy reserves. The energy I absorbed felt used for that effort. Is that typical of Tutaminis, Master Vanagor?"

Dagos released his unseen grip on the blaster bolt and watched it sail off into the tree line. He was certainly mindful of Caltin’s warnings about over reliance on such technique and the strain it could take on them. When he had been on Cato Neimodia, helping in the face of a terror attack on the planet he had surrounded and enveloped himself so strongly in The Force for so long that once he returned back to the temple he slept for three days straight unable to do anything else he was so drained, having to deal with that lack of focus or connection when the chit was on would be no good.

Dag watched curiously as Jand used The Force to rip the blaster away from the droid that he had been sparring with. He spoke more with Cal about energy absorption and how in someway the energy from the blaster made him feel a deeper connection to The Force. That was something Dagos had never heard of before and wondered what Cal would have to say on the matter. It would be an interesting turn of events of there was a way to jump start his own connection like cables on a speeder instead of all that homework and meditation.

Jand Talo Jand Talo Caltin Vanagor Caltin Vanagor

That is because your abilities are tied in many ways to your instincts, so some will come more naturally to you than others. It still takes a level of focus to complete and a measure of strength out of you, yes this is normal, but it is there.

Eyeing and sizing up the both of them he went a bit further in his explanation.

Also remember that while you both have exerted a natural affinity towards these skills today in some way shape or form, you are still learning them. You will need to learn to master walking before you can run.

That was one thing that truly irritated him about teaching. Too many students (though naturally) tend to believe “Well, I can do this, I’ve mastered it” when it is simply not the case. Everything takes time. A shame that he was one of those students when he was a Padawan, but such is life, right?

The both of you should practice a few more times and then switch up. Remember though to trust yourself, trust in the Force and relax. If you need to, visualize a huge hand that is doing the work for you… stopping that blaster bolt in mid air… stopping it onto your hand…

… it is how I learned. It worked for me.

resonant-staff-hilt-lit-6.png

"Vanguard" (Secondary - Long Handle)
0cf9376e75158d86a4aaeac9fb408128.jpg

"CONSERVATOR" (Primary - Long Handle)
HK-88 Robes, Battle Armor,Toraynor-Henkan(mind crystal added) Advanced Jedi Utility Belt
Starship: Spectre, (NC-1000 X-wing (Jedi Variant) in the hangar, Dilorian, and Bike both in the cargo bay, the late Karki Eusith's Armor, Shield, Temple Guard Lightsaber mounted on the wall)
Sanctuary Island

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ
jand_spacer.png

Jand was aware that the two other sentients had larger presences in the Force.

That was something the Nagai had taken a long time to come to terms with, that his own Force capacity wasn't as strong as others, and it had been difficult to accept. Yet, since learning under the tutelage of Caltin Vanagor, Jand had never felt that aspect to him was focused on or important; it simply was what it was, and the Jedi Master had aligned training appropriately, which spoke of his experience as a mentor.

"That makes sense, yes," Jand responded to Master Vanagor, before he glanced to Dagos. He didn't know the other as well, but given they were both Padawans of the same teacher, and likely would train together often, Jand felt comfortable sharing somewhat. "Given my upbringing and focus on martial prowess as a Nagai, I have been made familiar with repetition and honing skills over months and years... I do not doubt that Tutaminis can be a powerful ability to know, and am aware it should not be relied on too soon or too readily."

Jand would develop it alongside his other lessons, but he wouldn't forsake his strengths to utilize an unprepared or lesser trained skill.

As a Nagai, he was pragmatic that way, he supposed.

"Yes, Master Vanagor," Jand said with a nod, as the tall Jedi Master suggested they continue for the moment, before changing the focus on ability training. "Do you have any tips as a fellow learner for that skill, Dagos?"

Conscious of the blaster in his hand, Jand walked over and returned the weapon to his droid. He turned and walked back to the others, where suddenly a blaster bolt shot, as the low energy projectile impacted against Jand's robed back. The Nagai gave a tight-lipped expression, reminded that even training should be taken as real experience. He turned and prepared to continue the exercise...

"Master Vanagor, what are the limitations of Tutaminis?" Jand asked, as he watched the droid closely. "Are blaster bolts the limit of its applicability? Does it work with slug rounds or other forms of attack?"

Jand wasn't naive enough to believe the power was a be-all-end-all to opponents in use.

The droid fired; Jand caught the bolt against his arm, his focus off for that attempt, as the sting was felt. He mentally prepared again, and managed to absorb the next bolt, barely, but felt the energy begin to assimilate into himself as it had before. With determination, Jand continued to focus on the task, curious about the answer to his question...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom