Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spoiler Star Wars Visions Reviews

So the Star Wars Visions episodes have dropped and I've watched all 9 of them over the last couple of days.

The one word I could use to describe this series is 'uneven'. I can basically break it down into 3 categories.

3 really good
3 meh
3 terrible

1. The Duel: 5/5. Great episode, stylish, felt like it was a part of Star Wars. Umbrella sabre was a little silly but was only a small part. The rest of it had great atmosphere.
  2. Tatooine Rhapsody: 1/5. Really did not enjoy this. Despite Boba Fett and Jabba this did not feel like Star Wars. The plot was nonsensical, and the songs were bad.
  3. The Twins: 2/5. Blob of exposition at the start and then utterly nonsensical story. Well animated but absurd. No gravity or air, lightsabres whirling around and cutting ships in half. Not for me.
  4. The Village Bride: 3/5. This was...odd. Well animated but the fact there's some battle droids and a lightsabre are almost incidental to this. This was fine but a little confusing.
  5. The Ninth Jedi: 4/5. An interesting story with a good turn in it. Good visuals, interesting dynamics. Would be interesting to see it continue.
  6. T0-B1: 1/5. Not for me, very kid-like. Did not feel like Star Wars at all. Felt like a kids show to its detriment.
  7. The Elder: 4/5. This one got the Star Wars vibe best to my mind in the interaction between Jedi and Padawan. Nice battle between Jedi and Sith(?).
  8. Lop and Ochi: 3/5. This one is fine, but the plot is all over the place. The choice of Lop being a rabbit person is...weird. The pre-time skip bit is too quick to feel earned. The after period is fine but too quick. The story ends not so much on a cliffhanger but literally unfinished.
  9. Akakiri: 3/5. Another abbreviated story. Comic relief characters who mean nothing detract from the main story. Abrupt ending. Good central story, but not enough detail.

A brilliant fire
Top Poster Of Month
I just watched all 9 back-to-back with my little brother and best friend, and agree with your review. For me, the Elder was likely a 5/5 as well - it gave me the proper Star Wars feels, and I enjoyed the interactions too :) The duel was very traditional, and not incredibly over the top either, which I personally quite like.

Emberlene's Daughter, The Jedi Generalist
I largely agree with you, this wasn't terrible but it is in the same vain as the aniMatrix or Halo legends for quality of the stories.

Would it be fun to see more? Maybe but it is kind of like the high republic it might have a few good ideas bogged down with everything else they threw at the wall.

It's one of those things that in my honest opinion doesn't translate well. Even if samurais inspired Jedi, they're not samurai. There's very little Japanese culture, to me, in Star Wars.

I've always had that WW2 vibe from it, specially the original trilogy.

Episode One felt like a lost and found story, with Clone Wars being a Noir, PI, Detective movie, and Revenge was a story about the bad guys winning. It honestly had something akin to Romeo and Juliet in the end. And I mean with Obi Wan and Anakin.

Forge Awakens started strong, had elements from all the movies as far as feel...after that it just goes down hill. The story is everywhere, it's over the top. In all reality the most over the top I think Star Wars as ever been is the duel with Anakin and Obi Wan. And that's just the climbing on a melting tower, and dueling on the smallest amount of surface possible.

With these anime shirts...it's just not translating well. The common factor I see is in this new path Star Wars keeps taking is the villains always seem like the better characters. Kylo Ren still felt decent enough in the end...kinda. The sister in the Twins duel still felt and acted like a Sith for the most part.

Bogged down is a good way to describe all this. Bogged down with over the top stunts, visuals, and humor.

I have a different opinion of some episodes.
For example 1. 3/5 Great style. Great Kurosawa homage and samurai story, if not for the lightsabers, droids and aliens. Lightsabers drawn from a scabbard? Really?
3. 1/5 The worst I have seen since episode VIII. Illogical fantasy, even worse in breaking in-universe physics, not to mention elementary grade physics like breathing and talking in vacuum, but the droid (!) had a steampunk space helmet. Really?
8. 5/5 Not only because I am a rabbit person fan since Jaxxon, but because this story could actually take place in the SW setting.

For the rest, I can more or less agree.

See with eyes unclouded by hate
I've personally only seen up to The Ninth Jedi. Which I thought was pretty cool. But I really did like the first episode The Dual. I feel like the series certainly started off with a strong lead with it. The premise of seemingly reluctant sith slayer was really cool and had great atmosphere. Really going to some of the Seven Samurai inspiration that has been known for the creation of Star Wars.

PS: The first episode also featured a Tusken briefly so that was cool :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom