Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SSB Auction : Hegemonic Automaton, Theed Palace Space Vessel Engineering Corps, Damorian Manufacturi

[member="Danger Arceneau"]

"Oh." Makai said by way of explanation about the candy part. It made sense, caramel was candy most of the time. Like Choco-chews candy. Some had little caramel centers and that was candy.

"It tastes good. I like it, I don't think we have anything like this at home....maybe we can make some."

Biting into his caramel apple, Makai chewed as he looked at the carnival around them. Some of the ettel nuts didn't stick completely to the coating and fell onto the ground as he bit it. There was a moment of hesitation, were they outside or inside? If they were inside he would have to find something to clean it up....technically it looked like outside so it could be left on the ground.

"Um...I'm ready.."

[member="Makai Dashiell"]

A hand would weave through Makai's soft curls, chuckling. He was a precious child. Absolutely precious. It warned her heart as much as it sent a pang of ache through it.

Fiona would be his age. She'd have just celebrated her birthday. A mother would never forget a child of her flesh. Fiona may have been stillborn at eight months, but for Danger, that baby girl had been precious to her in every way. Fiona had been her miracle. Her tiny miracle during a time Danger had little to no hope. Those eight months had been precious to her. Every flutter she felt under her belly. Every tiny heartbeat. Every single press of an elbow, leg, and arm.

No, a mother would never forget.

"Come on, the Ferris Wheel is this way," she murmured with encouragement to the youngest Dashiell. Hand in hand, with each of them claiming a candied caramel apple, they made their way through the crowd. A few more curious stares came their way, a couple of murmurs. Yet Danger didn't care. Caramel would coat her lips, and she would laugh with Makai as a string of it pulled from her mouth to the apple it self.

Up ahead, the tall, multi-color Ferris wheel would be easy to see. It easily towered over the rest of the rights, each hover chair slowly rotating up and over in a series of laughters and awe.

"There it is."

Nearly half of his apple was gone and they were barely away from the food stand. [member="Danger Arceneau"] was grappling with her own, fighting the little strings of caramel that kept coming away with each bite of the apple. As they started to walk, it was a little harder to eat and pay attention. He hadn't enough practice yet with such a task.

"Pretty big....wonder if we'll be able to touch the holo-projectors in the ceiling?"

Granted, the Wheel was no where that large, the building was big enough to give the illusion of outdoors. Ferris Wheels, that was a ride he was used to. The one on Ceto was near the beach, giving a view of the water. This one at the carnival would provide views of dunes and the stars that had broken out in the sky -- even if it just was a projection.

"Do you have this up all year 'round or only when the Expo comes?"

"Only for the Expo, darlin" Danger would tell Makai, smiling down at him as she would lick caramel off of her upper lip. They would share a small chuckle, but Danger would elaborate, "But a few things stay year round."

A hand would gesture to the ceiling and the vast building they stood in. "This gets used for all sorts of events. Some are smaller festivals, others are bazaars." she would tell him, the pair ambling along to get in line.

Yes. To wait like the others for their turn.

They received a few more odd looks, some would apologize and ask if she would like to go ahead, of which Danger would smile, thank them and say that Makai and she still had to finish the rest of their apples. Ain't one to start showing a child young that it was okay to cheat.

"So what have you've been upto buck-a-roo?" she asked him, the bracelet he gave her giving a slight jingle as she took another bit of her caramel apple.

Makai was used to waiting in line and the wait seemed less so due to the fact he was eating. Despite the cooled caramel and the ettel nut coating, the hand holding the sugary treat was getting coated in the sticky substance. The treat was nearly gone as the line slowly moved, nary anything left but the core and coated ends he was nibbling on.

"Festivals? I've been to the Typhoon Day festival...its when we celebrate the end of typhoon season. Mama lets me eat enough shaved ice until my tongue turns really,really blue. It doesn't really look anything like a carnival....I guess desert festivals don't either?"

Apple eaten down to the very last bit that he could whittle it down to, Makai shrugged at her question. It seemed like the same old to him.

"School....then my tutor...." He found a trashcan as they moved up and tossed the core on a stick "....I went to the aquarium again. I haven't done anything real fun Miss Ar-cen-now, I'm sorry."

Danger took another nibble of her caramel apple, flashing Makai a smile. He was such an adorable little boy.

"Don't be so sure, Makai, " she told him, encouraging him along as they made their way through the line. "I reckon you've done more interesting things than me."

They came up alongside a small trash compactor. "If you are done feel free to toss your stick there." she then offered him one of her extra napkins for his hands. "Get the rest of the caramel off if you can." she instructed, chuckling at the drops of caramel along his fingers.

"How are you likin' your schoolin'? Any favorite subjects?"

Skeptical look was thrown at [member="Danger Arceneau"] at the mention of him doing more interesting things. He found it likely to be untrue, it didn't seem as if his life was incredibly exciting. Maybe she was just telling him that to be nice so he didn't have to think everything was so dull. Apple-core went into the trashcan as he took the napkins.

"I don't think so. You can do anything you want....Like if you don't wanna go to work you can lay in bed all day and watch the Holo. Or fly out and explore without anyone asking why. "

He worked to wipe off the caramel, hands slightly sticky from the sweet. The line slowly moved for a moment and he shuffled ahead before going back to his task.

"I only hafta go for a half a day, the older kids stay longer....Then I got extra schooling some days, like twice a week."

Makai didn't like the idea of extra school. The other kids didn't have a tutor, why should he? His parents had explained time and time again they had been saving for his schoolin' since before he was born. Makai supposed this is what they chose to spend all those credits on.

"I like science....everything else is just okay."

Done with her own apple, Danger slipped the stick into the trash receptacle. Makai's tale about his extra schoolin' and the like perked a smile at the corner of her mouth. Gently setting her hands at his back, she would guide him along as they shuffled along the line.

"Mmm... I can, but in order to make sure that my company is doing well, I have to work almost every day. Most days I work from home." she would elaborate, her voice a soft twang of description, "However, reckon I do more meetin's than watching the holo." Much to Alric's discontent - and prompt remedy.

"So you like science Makai? You like it 'cause you like how things work or building things like your pa?"

"Oh...well....at least you get to stay at home." Makai didn't have much of an argument since [member="Danger Arceneau"] had made a valid point about checking in on her company everyday. His Dad seemed to work nearly everyday as well, sometimes from home or sometimes going into the headquarters.

Except when they were out having fun in the water, on vacation.

"When Mama was away.....Dad worked at home a lot, it was real fun because he was with me all day.Now he goes into the main building nearly everyday. Sometimes I only see him at breakfast or dinner. At least if he worked at home still I could see him more, when I get back from school. You're lucky Miss Ar-cen-now."

Clearly the boy was a little more than upset about the entire ordeal of his world being more than disrupted. It had been thrown on its side over the past couple of weeks. Angry frown was set on his face as he thought about it, only to have it slide into something more neutral when the Trade Queen asked about his like for science.

"Both. I wanna know how things work and why..." A slight pause. "...I like building stuff with Dad too. Its fun, just us and I get to ask him all sorts of things. We've been rebuilding a droid in the garage."

They were nearing the loading ramp of the Ferris Wheel, however, Danger's attention was set upon the younger Dashiell. Her expression was a growing mix of concern with amused bafflement. He was upset. He was actually very upset about what was going on with his pa and his ma.

Now that he was older, he was able discern and pick up so much more about his surroundings. Notice things most wouldn't. He was such a bright child, and seeing how this whole issue with Judah and that woman was tearing a part of Danger's heart.

No child should have to worry his head about such things. They should be having fun. Enjoying learning new things.

If Makai was my son...

Well, things would have been done differently.

Her hand instinctively went to run through that mop of dark curls in a cafune. She wanted to comfort the boy. "We can talk to you pa, y'know. Maybe we can set up things so that way he's home more?" Considering the other rarely wasn't, she could tell that this was really hurting Makai something fierce.

"If I can do it honey, I'm sure he'd love to do it too."

Makai leaned against her side as her hands went through his hair. Brows knit in concentration as he thought back to why his Dad wasn't working at home so much now. Maybe because he started school and didn't think there was a real need to be around. School didn't last all day though, just a half-day for his age group.

"I don't know. Maybe he has a lot to do 'cause we were home together for so long.Kinda like homework...maybe Dad hasn't been doing it and needs to now."

He went silent, moving towards the line. They were the next to be loaded now.

"What if talkin' to him don't help any?"

"Miz. Arceneau," the attendant took extra care as he held the security gate open for them to step inside. It was strange to see the Queen of Trade out and about within the carnival grounds. Throughout the years, Danger spent most of her time taking care of the auctions and conducting business dealings high up in the VIP suites. This time around, Danger had left that all behind to spend quality time with a youngling.

It was rather disconcerting to some to say the least, but they paid it no mind. If Miz Arceneau so wanted to do so, it was her prerogative. Considering she treated all her employees with respect, none would fault her for what she so likes to do.

"Thank you, Mreie." his name had been written neatly on a name badge over the left side of his chest. Danger made it her point to use as many names as she could. It showed an intimacy and the care to take the extra step to say the others name. Being respectful and cordial to others is what brought her this far, and it was also a lesson she would like to impart to Makai.

With a gentle nudge, she encouraged the younger Dashiell to step into the bench. Slipping inside, she took extra care at ensuring he was seated securely. As she did so, Danger would tell Makai quietly, "One must always talk to the folk they care about Makai. Especially if it deals with somethin' you are concerned about. If you don't, then they'll never know." she ran her fingers through his hair again, her hand sliding down to gently cup his chin. She felt the smoothness of his scales and his skin.

Turning his face up gently to meet her green eyes, she smiled down at him, "We aren't mindreaders, Makai. Not me or your pa. When you love someone, care for them, and somethin' is goin' on that worries you, talk to 'em. It's the only way anything can change. Your pa loves you. Loves you with all of his heart."

Her expression softened.

'Ain't nothin' in the 'Verse he wouldn't do for you Makai."

Makai was careful not to rock the ferris wheel as they were loaded in. He was on the interior seat, with Miss Ar-cen-now fiddling with his seating arrangements. He was quite secure, there was no worry of falling out or any other mishaps. [member="Danger Arceneau"] didn't seem the type to hire any type of person off the street to run her Bazaar Carnival.

Feeling the hand come under his chin, eyes fixated on the Trade Queen. There was still a question in his mind if talking was really going to help. If he didn't try though, he would never know. At least, this is what Captain Atlantis was always saying. If both Miss Ar-cen-now and the superhero believed it, there had to be some measure of truth.

"Really? Dad would do anything for me?"

The Ferris Wheel had moved, loading the next couple on. There had been a slight pause in the conversation, Makai mulling things over.

"Sometimes....I don't want things to change. It makes it worse though....things were better before the change."

Danger's right arm would loop over and around Makai's own. She drew his little warm body close to her, until he was flush with her side and she could gently play with the locks of his curly hair. Sometimes, she felt that Makai would act with a seriousness and an understanding suited for an older boy well beyond his years.

His quick little mind caught things and processed them. Danger had a mind to say that there wasn't much that could get past him. Her right hand went to caress his cheek, then slid down to his chin. Gently, she encouraged him to meet her gaze.

"Yes."

It was said with utter confidence.

"Your Pa would do anything for you, Makai Dashiell." it was said with conviction. She gave his cheek a stroke of her thumb. "Change can be scary." she told him, and it was from a part of her that knew it all to well. "Sometimes you get to used to doing the same thing day in and day out, and it feels nice. You always know what to expect."

And there was nothing more to wish for.

"But there are some changes that are good." she gave him a half smile. "One change ended up with me meeting you."

Makai was comfortably against Miss Ar-cen-now, little legs stretching out in their compartment. A little jerk and the large wheel slowly started. Eyes went to go search the ceiling that looked like the outdoors but was quickly stopped. Miss Ar-cen-now gently pulled his attention back to herself, looking into his face.

His own iced blue ones couldn't meet her own. Makai didn't think his change was good despite what the redhead was saying. Some things were a positive change ; more ice cream, staying up later, going on trips with Dad. Other changes in his life seemed much more troubling. Changes perhaps Miss Ar-cen-now didn't understand. Fears he couldn't bring himself to utter to himself let alone the person he considered his 'best friend'.

When Miss Ar-cen-now mentioned a change meeting him, curiosity instant ran through him.

"How so? You always run the auctions so how could you have changed or done somethin' differently?"

Slowly, the Ferris wheel would start to rise. As they ascended, Danger lightly continued her cafune of Makai's hair. She let her fingers curl around his locks, feeling the softness of it. A contrast to the thickening knot in her throat.

How could you have changed or done somethin' differently?

Staring off into the illusionary sunset of the Twin Suns, Danger gave a ghost of a smile. "Lots of changes came back then. Things done differently..." she began slowly, still stroking his hair.

"Prior still."

She paused, her expression shadowing in melancholy for a moment.

"I had a little girl you know. She'd be you age about now." came her soft confession, then she smiled at Makai.

Yawning slightly, Makai listened to the woman muse a little on changes in her life. She was reflecting on something as fingers ran through his mass of curly hair. Eyes diverted to the ceiling once again, fascinated. He wanted to possibly go to the control room later and see how it worked. Maybe not today since the Carnival and Expo were making things busy, but another time when he stayed overnight to visit. Makai loved exploring the nooks and crannies of the compound.

Drifting off, his body immediately stiffened at the mention of a little girl. While he had only touched a fraction of the compound in his explorations, he had never seen a girl around his age. No rooms set aside for a girl. Nothing that could indicate a child was in the presence of Miss Ar-cen-now. Wouldn't he have seen her before?

"Where did she go? Did someone take her away?"

Turning to [member="Makai Dashiell"], Danger gave a melancholy smile. "No." her hand came trailing down, moving to cup his soft cheek. She felt the slight smoothness of his blue scales there, iridescent blue against his skin. There was a bit of confusion in his eyes, innocent wonder and then concern.

"No, sweetie. No one took her away." she assured him, keeping her tone soft and steady. The Ferris wheel came up slowly up to its crest, nearing the highest point to where they would be able to see as far as the illusionary sky would allow them to see.

No, no one took her way. It had been a Placental abruption, and truth be told Danger almost lost her life then. There had been so much blood...

Danger's lips drew a bit tighter, but she attempted to explain it as easily and simply as she could.

"She became very sick and passed away." it was as specific as she was going to get, as her eyes began to sting. Blinking rapidly, she took another breath, then attempted a small smile. "Her name was Fiona."

Click :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylg7Rlos9jY

Eyes went wide for a moment, taking in [member="Danger Arceneau"] . He wasn't sure what to say, Makai had never been placed in such a situation before. He was careful not to sway their compartment as his movements allowed him to face the woman better. Fiona. Her name was Fiona. It seemed to pain his redheaded friend to even mention the name.

"Oh." There was a long pause. "I'm sorry Fiona isn't here anymore. I would have liked to meet her."

Keen eyes spotted the tears forming in her eyes. Scale-speckled hands reached into his pocket, pulling out a napkin with only a tiny bit of caramel on it. Makai gently placed it in Miss Ar-cen-now's pale hand, closing her fingers around it so it wouldn't drop. Being young, he didn't have the words to express his remorse, Makai could only say his few words.

It was the tenderness, the almost adult-like measure of comfort and empathy that the youngling would express to Danger that almost undid her. Her fingers went curling around the napkin, barely noticing the small drop of caramel on the edge of it. There was such an ache in her chest, and then and there, all she could think about was of the child she lost and how precious Makai was.

How could his mother not see what she had in front of her?

Wobbly of smile, Danger opened her arms and drew him in for a tighter embrace. Silent tears would roll down her cheeks and she began to rub his back.

"Oh sugar, I'm sure she would have loved to meet you too." she shuddered out, dabbing at her eyes with the napkin. There, Danger simply let herself go for the moment. All this time, through all of these years, she'd only been able to grieve with Alric. Perhaps she had never truly been able to properly grieve her, seeing as the Queen of Trade kept so many at a distance.

Here with Makai, she simply let herself be. They were on top of the ferris wheel, no one to really see. Wiping away her tears, she gave a slight nervous laugh.

"Oh look! We are at the top!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom