Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

(SPOILERS) Darth Plagueis

So I finally managed to finish listening to the unabridged audio book of this.

I was actually extremely impressed! It gave a new and very interesting tilt to things and I liked it a lot. Better than any Star Wars book I've experienced for a long time.

Anyone else read it?

I've put spoilers in the title, so I'm going to say that there were some things I didn't like:
  • The end betrayal of Sidious seemed a little...sudden. It was a target of opportunity, but we had very little lead up to it.
  • The book covers 40+ years, and it can be a little difficult to keep track of when everything happened, and to who.
  • Lots of unnecessary EU references, especially to Revan etc.

Now the things I liked:
  • Having Plagueis alive during The Phantom Menace was a bit odd, but I actually liked it.

• Giving the two Sith personalities and delving into their motivations and methods. I liked seeing it from the other side, the Antagonist's side for once.

• A good discussion of characters like Dooku, Sifo-Dyas and others.

I'm still not particularly keen on Plagueis being alive during TPM, but I don't dislike it as much as I used to.

Having Maul get treated as an assassin and not as a real Sith lord is kind of funny. Makes you feel almost sorry for the poor fellow. Well, almost!

Like Tegaea, I think it was nice to see the antagonists' side. I particularly liked the appearance of Dooku. I would've liked to see more of him in the movies and in TCW. The author also didn't fall into the trap of trying to make Palpy sympathetic by making it appear like he wanted to "make the Galaxy better" or "prepare it for war against some evil force from the unknown regions" or some other rationalisation, but depicted him as someone who's a sociopath and covets power over everyone. That said, I regard Palpy having daddy issues as unnecessary, but it did not really diminish my enjoyment of the novel.

We see pretty clearly why the Republic is doomed to fall. Indeed, the question is why it hasn't fallen sooner or why the Jedi continue to serve it, given how corrupt the Senate is, how much power megacorporations wield (irony: LucasArts is a corporation, but apparently capitalists are all evil, is George Lucas a secret mastermind? Haha) and how using gangster methods is standard practice among the leading politicians.

Yes, reducing Maul to a mere thug fits well with what we see on screen, rather than the fanboy's desire for him to be some sort of super mastermind.

I also like that there's no reference of dark shadows or anything like that. All there is is the Sith plan to control the galaxy and become the most powerful. I like that.

I see Maul as a bit of a wasted opportunity. If he'd been given an actual personality in TPM, a role beyond being his master's blunt instrument and had survived the movie (as opposed to that being retconned later), he could've been cool. Just let Obi-Wan gain a temporary advantage over him by giving into his rage and wounding him, but Maul narrowly survives through force lightning/bringing the walls down through telekinesis.

That could've been good to establish a rivalry, especially since Obi-Wan would've had to try and resist giving into the dark side. Whereas Obi would conquer his rage, Anakin would eventually give into it. That said, I find Dooku far more interesting and I can't view the Maul we got as anything other than a thug.

I liked Plagueis as a character though.

Also got to say I like the audio books which has music and sound effects along with the text. it's something missing from other audio books and greatly adds to the immersion.

Plagueis was indeed fun!

One thing that's rather ironic is that how many Sith we encounter seem to think they'll abolish the 'Rule of Two' and live forever. Plagueis believes he'll achieve immortality through midichlorian manipulation and that Palpatine will be willing to appoint him as co-chancellor and let him be the true power behind the throne. Of course, Palpy has no intention of doing that and proclaims that he'll be the eternal Sith Emperor and then gets tossed down into the abyss (let's just ignore the Clone Emperor for a moment!).

I have to admit, I loved the book, but Sidious didn't track for me - he was so careful and had very clear ideas about what was going to happen next, and had his own little plan whipped up. As you say, though, his betrayal of Plagieus was just...well, we knew it would happen, but there was just no build-up to it. Part of me thinks that was intentional: the way they'd written Plagieus suggests that, if we knew, he would, too, because he was a master manipulator and capable of spotting a plot in motion. Even so, the end was a bit sudden and, honestly, a bit disappointing.

That noted, it's rare we ever see a book from the Sith side that isn't "OMG, POWER!", or the idiocy of Darth Bane (which is similar), all based on a very brutal, badly-thought out philosophy which then plagued Sith history from there-on out. Plagieus brought a touch of sense to the role, even though he endorsed the Rule of Two, but he at least had the sense to see it as a tool, rather than the be-all and end-all. More to the point, the part I find interesting was this: he was powerful in his own right. He had money, influence and considerable power, all of which came from him, not from the fact that he was Sith. That part was just icing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom