Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Something weird just happened

I was writing as my Jedi character, [member="Ilanthria"] in a recent thread. When I re-read what I made her say, I swear, I cried a little bit. Is that even normal? I mean, I already knew what I was going to write. Maybe it was just hormones or something....

Has anyone else ever had this happen?

Luminara Rikanati said:
I was writing as my Jedi character, [member="Ilanthria"] in a recent thread. When I re-read what I made her say, I swear, I cried a little bit. Is that even normal? I mean, I already knew what I was going to write. Maybe it was just hormones or something....

When I become personally invested in a character, it happens from time to time. Usually when I kill them off in a somewhat dramatic way.

[member="Luminara Rikanati"]

Yes, I've had this happen. Hell, I have teared up in the middle of writing a post in the past. Specific examples evade me at the moment (I am yawning something crazy as I type this), but it has certainly occurred!

I mean, I'm used to writing really emotional things. They'll make me depressed, sure. But I've never cried. Completely caught me off-guard.

[member="Luminara Rikanati"] honestly it is normal. I have written a number of things that I have put Yokuni and my other characters through. At one time I had even killed Garith off. I did not cry because I killed him. I cried because how he died. He was this tough as nails Mandalorian Sith who survived countless battles. He sacrifice himself to safe the mother of his unborn child and hist first born son. It was one action that turned a Sith into something far noble and it was his last action. It was because I could imagine his love. He loved someone and cared more about their well being then his own. In a way it was beautiful and something so simply human.

I feel I know I’ve tapped into a good story if I cry over what has happened to my one my characters or someone elses character.

Moss

Where the Truth Lies

I haven't cried yet at my own writing (except for maybe how poor it is). I'd consider that quite an accomplishment, though, to turn something intangible like words into something so very real like tears.

Hasn't happened yet, but I'll keep at it.

Stephanie Swail

Look what they've done to my dream

Certainly not. It shows humanity, passion and a connection with your character that speaks volumes. Who says fiction needs to be emotionless and just words?

I've been writing quite a tense story arc with my man Kail Ragnar and his relationship with Matsu Xiangu, at once really close allies but they have fallen apart and find they can't carry on together. And that was a story that was planned to go places, but we as writers didn't dictate this, the characters did.

They seem to take over our writing ability and dictate what they do and what they say regardless of our intentions, and in the process I have welled up a few times with the writing I've done. It may not be Shakespeare or whatever, but it's the connection you have with YOUR creation and you see them take this journey and how it shapes them.

It's a beautiful thing when writing gets you inside and makes you stop for a moment and take into account what you have done from just a spark of imagination and how real it feels. That's the sign of great writing, great passion and a great sense of community here because you feel something so strong for something that has come to be part of a wider family here.

No shame at all in saying it moved you. Keep up the good work. :)

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Luminara Rikanati said:

It's perfectly normal.

When you're writing something and contemplating the words you want to write, you're fully comprehending their meaning and purpose, understanding it as just a fabrication you are trying to create. Your mind sees no need to empathize with its meaning. But when you revisit it and read it not as its creator but an outside observer, you then have empathy for what is actually written in context. Perfectly normal psychology. Happens to the best of us sometimes.

TL;DR: When your brain isn't busy thinking of how to write it, it has more time to think about and imagine what's actually going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom