Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slugthrowers vs. Lightsabers...Begin!

Aren't slug-throwers basically the equivalent of a RL bullet? Cause if so. I'm not sure a saber could block it fast enough since bullets move considerably faster than any blaster fffffff.

Probably because of it's size and such but still.

To be fair, i'm not that knowledgeable on slug throwers so xD. My opinion holds little weight LOL

Queen Sovereign said:
I'm not sure a saber could block it fast enough
It's a matter of the person blocking the slugthrower shot. The lightsaber is just a tool of the wielder's skill. A saber can definitely block a slug thrower round. Slug throwers are the Star Wars equivalent of RL guns.

Most of those people base it off calculations they got from the films. Which was limited and only made blasterbolts seem slower. The comics, cartoons, novels fixed that whole myth of them going incredibly slow. Slugthrowers are hypersonic and should be more than effective against a lightsaber as even if they try to deflect it metal will still be coming out the other side at them. Molten metal at that. Or at least that's how I perceive it would happen. [member="Amelia Deathman"]

Txon Taronyu

T
[member="Viru Lentus"]
I agree. The whole concept of deflecting a round with a lightsaber is that the lightsaber is energy and the blaster is energy so the saber deflects the energy. Its just like ray shielding. Ray shielding deflects blaster fire because they are both made of energy, but it can't block missiles. If a lightsaber got in teh way of a slugthrower round, the round would go right through, albeit much changed and possibly incinerated. However one thing that has not been mentioned is that how could a Jedi see the round to be blocked? Blaster bolts can be clearly seen as they approach, though they are moving very fast. A bullet cannot be seen, or at least not clearly. Even with the Force, the Jedi is basically trying to deflect something they can't see that is only a few millimeters across and going extremely fast. They could possibly block it, but it would be much easier and safer to dodge it I think.

Assuming the slug isn't disintegrated by the saber, it comes down to an individual Force User's skill at deflection, or in this case redirection. They would need to be Sensitive enough to 'see' the attack coming, and proficient enough to not take the shot DIRECTLY with the blade, instead making their blade to 'glance' along the projectile, the intent being to potentially sheer some of the material away by contact, and 'pushing' the projectile aside with the motion.

Would this really work? Kark if I know. I'm exhausted on a double shift and my brain feels as though made of pudding right now, so don't be too harsh in your reproaches of my theory.

[member="Txon Taronyu"]

I think [member="Ryn'Dhal"] just answered your question on how FU's can see such rounds. Considering there are numerous ways for them to percieve them. Speeding up their reaction and cognitive processes with the force, precog and quick reflexes. For example Jax Pavan deflected a laser which was only moving a bit slower then the speed of light. Not because he saw it but because he sensed it. Other good examples would be how time seemed to have stopped for Kyle Katarn when he was using Force Speed. Another example being Darth Bane who managed to move fast enough that time seemed to stop for everyone else and his attack wasn't noticed till after it happened. I could go all day listing examples of Jedi/Sith moving and percieving things above Hypersonic speeds. Even the newer comics seem to be sticking to that.

I think its good that there are weapons that are useful against lightsaber wielders. Gives NFU's a leg up.

I was under the impression that because Slugthrowers used solid projectiles as ammunition, Lightsabers actually couldnt 'block' them at all. They'd just slice the projectile in two and make matters worse. This was why a lot of bounty hunters, specifically during the Great Jedi Purge, used them against Jedi.

Most times, the slugthrower wins. It doesn't matter if the person behind the lightsaber blocks it or not, because when metal meets superheated light energy it tends to melt or otherwise get cut in half, which either means you get hit with molten metal or now have two halves of what was once a single projectile to deal with. Either way, that's not a very pleasant turnout. Slugthrowers are what give NFUs, especially bounty hunters, a leg up against their space magic wielding friends. I've considered them to be the equal of a lightsaber and in some cases the trump card, because they're the one thing a Jedi can't easily block and deflect. Speaking from personal experience with Keira in this regard, she's been shot a few times for that very reason. A bullet is one thing she can't block her way out of.

I agree that slugthrowers are a leg up on FUs but I also know some FUs wear armor such as Amelia for instance She has no saber teaining as of yet but she carries slugthrowers and manufactures them for sale. Now as the thread said a sub machine gun would work even if the jedi was fast enough to "block" one round or even three but a full auto volley at say 20 yards would be tremendously harder to get around right? I mean how exactly strong is a force push? It moves starship components easily enough but could it deflect a hail of bullets? I don't think it could really but that is my opinion.

[member="Amelia Deathman"]

There are actually force users that use it to guide bullets and completely change their course. Not to also mention that telekinesis can be extremely powerful depending on how the user uses it or specializes in it. For example stopping the slugthrowers would take all their concentration then they'd be open to attacks. They could slightly alter the trajectory of some rounds with little nudges and stay in a clear zone. Throw up barriers and such. Its all about creativity, but the way I see it even that won't help if they're outnumbered. It's just one of those things force users have to deal with, they can be beaten, and slugthrowers are one of those things that can cause them loads of trouble.

I agree that some FUs can stay relatively safe from some rounds but not all. Even with a lightsaber blocking an incoming round. I couldn't find the temperature of the plasma that makes up a lightsaber's blade but Tungsten melts at 6,191°F, so if a round had a tungsten penetrator as part of it's make up like say Armor-peircing rounds then from what I can find it would melt the round but not the penetrator. Does that make sense?

[member="Amelia Deathman"]
It would melt the whole thing. Its superheated plasma the likes of which we don't fully understand because scifi.

Finally, Slugthrowers have a much different problem. The fact that it can't penetrate Plastoid and Duraplast, much less any serious metal. Then you run into Sci Fi kinetic dampers and buffers, thermal gel (or Kinetic gel), proper padding.

Canon stormtrooper armor was nearly impervious to slugthrower rounds unless they were very large, or super sonic. Neither of those things are going to be easily portable rapid fire with significant ammunition.

The armor was also impervious to projectile weapons and blast shrapnel.
It was almost impossible to kill a stormtrooper with a slugthrower unless the bullet was abnormally large, specifically armor piercing, or if it hit the body glove or visor lenses.

The only thing I think slugthrowers have going for them is the stopping power. What I've rped and noticed some others is when a slugthrower round hits a Lightsaber it hits hard, making the wielder have to keep a firm grip on their weapon or loose it as the shot knocks the blade right out of their hand. I don't really try to think about the science of it all, but that's what I go for.

Then there's weapons like Verpine. If you're looking to kill a plasma blade wielding space wizard, invest in verpine. The mini railguns shoot too fast for a FU to block, according to the wiki. And they're silent. And they shoot quite a bit of rounds a second. Just my opinion on what anti FU weaponry should be there.

Txon Taronyu said:
[member="Viru Lentus"]
I agree. The whole concept of deflecting a round with a lightsaber is that the lightsaber is energy and the blaster is energy so the saber deflects the energy. Its just like ray shielding. Ray shielding deflects blaster fire because they are both made of energy, but it can't block missiles. If a lightsaber got in teh way of a slugthrower round, the round would go right through, albeit much changed and possibly incinerated. However one thing that has not been mentioned is that how could a Jedi see the round to be blocked? Blaster bolts can be clearly seen as they approach, though they are moving very fast. A bullet cannot be seen, or at least not clearly. Even with the Force, the Jedi is basically trying to deflect something they can't see that is only a few millimeters across and going extremely fast. They could possibly block it, but it would be much easier and safer to dodge it I think.
The lightsaber has an energy containment field which simulates solidity when it comes in contact with a solid surface, i.e: a slug. This means any metal that comes in contact with it will be deflected if it isn't sublimated to gas on contact.

Amelia Deathman said:
so if a round had a tungsten penetrator as part of it's make up like say Armor-peircing rounds then from what I can find it would melt the round but not the penetrator. Does that make sense?
See the above comment.

Nothing passes through a lightsaber except cortosis, which deactivates the entire lightsaber. And only a specific kind of cortosis at that.

Alric Kuhn

Handsome K'lor'slug
MY GOD.

IT'S ALMOST LIKE APPLYING LOGIC TO PLASMA BEAMS THAT PEOPLE HOLD IN THEIR HANDS DOESN'T REALLY MAKE SENSE.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom