Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Silver Jedi 101 - Saber Practice #PaddiePack!

Caedyn Arenais

C
header3.png

The Silver Rest,
Silver Jedi Temple, Kashyyyk.
Technology: Training Droids &
Marksman-H Training Remotes.

B1ojkOj.png

Once upon a time Caedyn Arenais had been responsible for a number of regular lectures and classes prior to the establishment of the Coalition within the Outer Rim, yet with his return to Silver Space and his taking on Kyra Perl Kyra Perl as his Padawan Learner, his time for classes had been replaced with the training of the young woman and their venturing out into the Galaxy.

Nowadays however Kyra had become far more independent and had been running an isolated operation alongside Thirdas Heavenshield Thirdas Heavenshield in order to return one of their own back from Sith Space alongside the Grandmaster Elise, of whom Coren Starchaser Coren Starchaser was standing in for as interim Master of the Order; All of which to say that Caedyn now had more time on his hands and had started once again look at the Students who were in need of possible guidance.

Most recently, the Jedi Knight had chosen subjects of theoretical value to study alongside the students, however in that he had also seen a number of them grow drowsy and uninspired. The sight and result of said lessons leading to dictate the subject of which he had volunteered to lead today, something far more engaging for the Padawan within the Silver Rest, yet not overly advanced as the objective was to perfect that which they already knew. Repetition in practice, the road to the perfect form of swordsmanship.

With the classes announcement going out across the Student Database of The Jedi Comport, the notification would've reached any of those who might find themselves interested in a bit of practice whether one on one or within a group setting, situated within the Silver Rest's larger in-door training arena for ease of space and maneuverability.

When it came to students in need of guidance, Aveline certainly qualified. Much did she have on her mind of late and little sense could she make of it. She found her studies liberating. It became an arena in which her woes could be channelled into hard labour, which in turn gave her a peace of mind she could not find elsewhere.

The temple on Kashyyyk was most certainly awake, its daily activities kicked into high gear. She had to sidestep to avoid being bumped into by two grey-bearded masters, embroiled in a philosophical debate. On her left flank, out in a small inner courtyard, a group of younglings were trying to make small rocks float. A short blonde kid laughed after a rodian youngling dropped his rock onto his own head, but was immediately scolded by the young knight supervising them. It made her smile. The halls were bustling with life, but she often walked them alone. It had been some time now since she had joined up with the Silver Jedi. All of her instructors had been warm and welcoming. Even so she still felt like an outsider.

Aveline turned the corner, and found the large in-door training area specified in her instructions before her. She quickly glanced down at herself, straightening out her tunic a little, nervous for a moment that something about her uniform would be found wanting. They wouldn't likely send her back, she thought, but you never knew. It was a fairly simple getup anyway; light brown pants that were soft in fabric and wide around the legs and a firmer beige tunic held together by a black belt. She had brought no weapon of her own to the practice.

Aveline stopped at the edge of the area and took a deep bow in direction of Caedyn Arenais before she entered. When she came closer she greeted him with a formal "Master". Was she the first one there? It seemed to be the case.

Jaeson had signed up for Jedi classes like he would have signed up for a semester of xenoanthropology back at the university he attended. It was clinical and calculated and in no way an indication of his major. He was after all still leery of this Jedi thing and his reservations about them, but knew it was valuable to learn everything you could in this galaxy, and that included the ability to protect yourself from the many lightsaber wielding lunatics on either side of the Jedi and Sith Holy War which has been raging for millenia.

Still he showed up for his first class of Jedi training. Jaeson knew how to fight, he’d trained in unarmed combat from the time he was a single cell in the petri dish, the moves being added to his very DNA. But while he could punch, grapple, throw, and escape with the best of them, he was nearly useless with the violet saber that hung from his belt. He blocked a blaster bolt with it once, but then had to shoot the deranged creature that had fired it.

A frown came over his face as he looked around. Was this the right first step? Perhaps he should have started with a history course to learn their propaganda first, or maybe a philosophy class instead of diving into laser sword fighting.

Laser sword fighting did sound fun though….

“Hi,” Jaeson said looking around. “I’m Jaeson Starchaser.” There was a little bit of contempt lingering on his tongue as he stated his surname. The Starchasers were afterall a clan of deviants with a bad reputation, Jaeson’s own clone template was a man whose thoughts he would sometimes share consisted of violence and cruelty. “I’m here to learn." Awkwardly he waved at the Jedi Master.... or was he supposed to bow... no you're committed keep up the waving.

Caedyn Arenais | Aveline Cuiléin Aveline Cuiléin

Irridia Solensis

I
Content as she felt being at the Silver Rest on Kashyyyk, the young woman couldn’t help but feel as if she were missing something. There was still that occasional pull at the edge of her senses, like a small child tugging at the hem of her tunic but disappearing before she could turn around to see it. It was maddening, but she was learning to deal with it.

Irri knew her abilities were going to need experience and training - as everything of this nature did. She was already getting better at reacting to the Force instinctually. Comprehension and understanding would surely follow in time.

Stepping out of the small space she’d been assigned to in the dormitories, she made a mental note to thank whomever had been so thoughtful as to give her a space at the end of this particular hallway. It led to an outdoor space with walking paths, meditation spaces, and most importantly for her, access down to the shore.

The young woman stared wistfully at the door for several moments, before consulting her datapad and turning the other way. There was not, unfortunately, enough time to pop out for a quick swim...the training session she had read about earlier was due to start in short order. With a soft sigh, she left the datapad in her room and made her way towards the appointed space.

It would be, perhaps, a little advanced for her level of skill, but she had to start somewhere. Irridia paused at the entrance of the large space, finding three people within, and one of whom seemed to have just arrived as she greeted the other occupant with the title of Master. Swallowing against her nerves, she stepped inside as quietly and unobtrusively as possible, remaining at the edge of the open space.

Offering a polite nod of greeting to Caedyn Arenais, Aveline Cuiléin Aveline Cuiléin , and Jaeson Starchaser Jaeson Starchaser , she found a small smile and a bit of energy to introduce herself. “A pleasure to meet you...I’m Irridia.” she said quietly, absently tucking a loose curl behind her ear.

Creative soundtrack: Boyce Avenue, ft Megan Davies & Jaclyn Davies “Time After Time”

Somewhere in her attempts to escape her past, Ilia had found herself within Silver Space. Her time in the Galactic Alliance, with their Jedi Order, had been immensely helpful to the Zabrak. From helping her find a place; albeit temporary one, to the individuals here and there that had guided her on starting a new path. She had learned how to calm her emotions through meditation, making her nights a lot less sleepless and easing her mind that she wasn’t going to cause any unconscious destruction.

And yet she felt her desire to remain was fleeting, wanting to run away. Ilia had tried to brush it off, believing it was just because her home planet was within Galactic Alliance space, therefore she still felt guilty for what had happened there.

But that was a lie, and a flimsy one at that. Hell, Alderaan was literally on the border between Alliance and Silvers. The reality was that Ilia felt like she didn’t deserve a home, not anymore.

Despite that though, she somehow found herself in the heart of the Silver’s Jedi Order, Kashyyyk. Much like with the Alliance, Ilia had been welcomed to remain and learn. And someone had the foresight to throw it all at her at once. A guiding hand had seen right through the Zabrak, knew if she wasn’t committed to something she was going to flee whenever her demons began to surface again.

So she had been summarily assigned a dorm, connected to the Jedi Comport, and assigned classes. It probably wasn’t morally correct, but some time in the future when Ilia looked back on this, she’d appreciate the act.

Ilia slipped out of her dorm quietly, fingers immediately trailing down her left gauntlet. They kept her Force imbalance in check, channelling excess energy into the embedded crystals, and not back into her body. Saber practice was going to be another test against them, to see if she can manage to control things while actively fighting.

The Zabrak couldn’t help but dread something bad was going to happen.

She sighed, trying to shake the thought away as she began to walk through hallways of Silver Rest. Ilia followed the given directions, eventually finding the in-door training arena. There she found the waiting Master, along with what appeared to be only three other students, so far anyway.

...Chit.

Ilia had hoped the group would be larger, allowing her to quietly slip in without being noticed much. It had worked for previous classes, being early enough to not be tardy, but late enough that she could find her seat without drawing attention. But here, she was pretty much out in the open. Ilia swallowed her nerves and walked in, silently approaching the small group. Catching as a young woman with startling blue eyes introduced herself.

For a moment Ilia wondered if she could get away with not doing the same, but quickly realized how foolish of a thought that was.

I’m Ilia.

Peace begins with a smile.
Swish, swash, swish, swash.

The stick in Kaia's hand swept the floor in front of her like the tail of some creature, seeking a clear path. Her brow and eyes were covered under a smooth, white fabric, wrapped and folded to cover up her blindness. The light-purple cape that draped from her shoulders hung in tatters at the ends., ripped by bramble, rock, tooth, and pincer. It was not the usual garb of a Jedi, not here at least. Nor did the rest of her wardrobe truly scream "Jedi". Then again, nor did her face scream "Jedi". She was not locked in some quizzical expression, detached serenity, nor heroic squint; her steps were not heavy and burdened with purpose, but light and practically skipping.

She had been asked twice if she needed help to find something, especially after plowing straight through a pair of philosophising masters arguing loudly about the essence of the force.

Kaia did not look the typical Jedi, and yet, there she was.

She stopped with a small jump, her feet stopping just outside her destination. They quickly turned, making the patchwork of purple swirl around her for a moment as she swung her stick and found the corner of the door. Under her hood, shrouded in ash-blonde curls, her ears twitched just a little as her lips drew into a smile. The dimples in her cheeks became chasms as the white teeth bared themselves. With quiet steps and no more swishing or swashing, she entered behind the padawans.

Caedyn Arenais Aveline Cuiléin Aveline Cuiléin Jaeson Starchaser Jaeson Starchaser Irridia Solensis Ilia Valentina Ilia Valentina

Caedyn Arenais

C
Those who meant to attend the lesson were slowly drifting in, and much to Caedyn's approval it seemed that every one of the Padawan present were entirely new faces to the Jedi Knight; A fact that spoke well for the Order's progress by way of numbers and growth.

"Greetings all of you!" Caedyn welcomed them all, his hands gesturing for the small group to approach further towards the center of the room where behind him stood a number of motionless Droids. These were special droids whose purpose was primarily for the training against melee opponents, offering an alternative opposition to the Padawan taking hits from one another (A regular practice in itself).

"First off, I'd like to introduce myself as I'm seeing plenty of fresh faces here I've not yet had the pleasure to teach, I am Caedyn Arenais, one of the Knights present within the Order of the Silver Jedi" he smiled warmly, taking the time to glance over each of them in order to subtly gauge their enthusiasm for being there.

"These fine gents behind me will be your sparring partners for today.." Caedyn seen turned to gesture to the droids before looking back upon the line of Padawan before him, "however before we go getting ahead of ourselves...I need to know how familiar you all are with the subject of the Lightsaber Arts".

Whether theoretical knowledge or practical experience in the known Forms utilized by the Silver Jedi, Caedyn had called for a group of attendees and many of them likely held varying levels of training behind them. Those who were experienced could prove to be assets for those of fledgling standard, or they might all be entirely new to the subject.

"What can you all tell me about your learning or training around the Lightsaber, so far?".

Regardless, the Jedi Knight held no preference and his one expectation for today was to provide them all with the knowledge needed to progress onward in their path.

Aveline was not alone for long. One after the other, fellow Padawans strolled in until they became a healthy crowd. All faces were new, but friendly, and seemed to cast about them an aura of ease and acceptance. Her shoulders loosened slightly. She smiled in their general direction, though she did not take the word, save for giving the rest her name as they had given theirs. "I'm Aveline." It did not feel like her place to do much beyond that, though her eyes seemed to communicate 'nice to meet you'. For the better part of her life it had been her alone with her mentor. Learning in a group would still take some getting used to, yet she felt the experience growing on her.

Before Cadeyn began his introductions, Aveline's eyes travelled over towards Kaia. There was something about her, the ease with which she moved, the way she seemed to somehow manage being both relaxed and alert at the same time. She felt different, and Aveline did not possess the capabilities of making a more in-depth analysis than that.

When it came time for their instructor to speak, Aveline lined up and paid attention, making no big deal out of herself nor seeking to draw any attention. It became clear they would be playing with the machines today, but before that some theory. There was a brief silence after Cadeyn finish, and Aveline took the opportunity to go first. "There are seven forms. I know Soresu is a defensive form, Makashi is elegant, and Ataru is a little wild. Shii-Cho is the basic form. I was told to master that before worrying about anything else." Her knowledge was basic, but she knew at least that. Her mentor had not been sufficiently impressed to help her dive much deeper. "I'm still working on that. I don't have a lightsaber, and I've only ever used training sabers." That about summed her up. Assuming there weren't any follow-up questions, she turned to watch whoever went next.

Tom Kovack

T
Tom was late.

For once, his tardiness wasn't Starlin Rand Starlin Rand 's fault. Tom had been visiting his sister when he saw his chrono and realized the time. She had giggled at the look on his face right before he scrambled out the door, yelling his goodbyes over his shoulder.

He arrived while Caedyn Arenais was addressing the other Padawans in the arena, the door sliding open with a noisy hiss. Keeping his head down, he walked to the edge of the group, his eyes on Aveline Cuiléin Aveline Cuiléin as she answered the master's question. Nice and succinct, if with a few gaps in knowledge.

"Form V has two disciplines, Shien and Djem So. Niman is lightsaber combat for people who don't like lightsabers. And Juyo used to be considered forbidden to the Jedi, because it involves channeling aggression into action." He shrugged. "I've never wielded a training lightsaber before. Only the real thing. But I... I have no training in any of the Forms."

He cleared his throat softly, hoping this admission wouldn't draw any shocked stares from his peers. Trying to use a lightsaber without training was like trying to fry an egg on the sidewalk at noon on a hot summer day. It was simply better to just cook it on a stove like a normal, sane person, but if you had no other choice...

Kaia Vullen Kaia Vullen Ilia Valentina Ilia Valentina Irridia Solensis Jaeson Starchaser Jaeson Starchaser

Last edited by a moderator:
Jaeson listened to the others speak, content not to answer. He was sure after all that what he was taught wouldn’t have been anything like what the Jedi were taught and found himself vindicated in his belief. Juyo a path to the darkside? He’d always been taught that form was the purest expression of lightsabers forms and the most effective in fighting multiple opponents. Makashi of course was the duelist's style, very respectable. Ataru? He’d heard it was useless unless you were a smaller stature species. What else did he know? That was about it really.

As for practical experience… Jaeson raised his hand, “I’ve had no training per say… but I did fight in a lightfoil duel with a Tapani saber rake…”

The memory flooded into him as he considered the fight, an argument over the ownership of a rather old medallion that once belonged to an ancient tribe of spacefaring nomads. It fetched a pretty credit from a reputable museum on Coruscant. “He was really good and I was really bad so I shot him." There was a pause "Twice.” He looked around the room for a second with a smile on his face before realizing what he'd said and where he was. “With stun bolts,” he added loudly and defensively, “just stun bolts…”

He still had the blaster at his side with his lightsaber as he held up opens palms in front of him as if he was surrendering.

Kaia Vullen Kaia Vullen | Ilia Valentina Ilia Valentina | Irridia Solensis | Tom Kovack | Aveline Cuiléin Aveline Cuiléin | Caedyn Arenais

Irridia Solensis

I
It was a fascinating mix of people who joined the training session, and Irri found herself paying careful attention to each one as they spoke, doing her best to commit their names and faces to memory. While she did not have an eidetic memory, she rarely forgot someone's name once it had been given. She smiled softly at those who glanced towards her, doing her best to tamp down on her nerves as their instructor spoke, introducing himself as they each had. Offering a polite bow of her head, she shifted slightly from foot to foot as the others answered first, saving her from her embarrassment for at least a few more moments.

Blinking, Irri realized that silence had fallen, and thought it best to giver her answer, such as it was, and get it over with.

"I..." she paused, swallowing hard and eventually sighing. "...I don't know anything, to be honest. I've never used a lightsaber or even held a hilt. I grew up with parents who are both CorSec officers, so I've had extensive rifle and blaster training, because I thought I'd eventually join CorSec like them. I...have a little training with some simple vibroswords, but I don't know how much that will translate over given how different the balance must be."

She dug the toe of her shoe into the floor and frowned slightly, looking rather disappointed in herself, hand rising to absently tuck a stray curl behind her ear. Her lack of knowledge was embarrassing.

And just like that, Ilia wanted to disappear from view. She had listened when Caedyn had spoken, the Zabrak’s gaze shifting when his gaze swept over them. Ilia was nervous, fidgety. Fingers brushing against one of her gauntlets as if that was going to distract her.

They were going to...fight?

Ilia looked over at the currently inactive droids, and refrained from looking too worried. Of course they were going to be fighting, this lesson was called ‘Saber Practice’ for a reason. But Ilia had never been in a fight, not even a scrap when she was in school. Always either avoiding such situations, or having friends taking the charge.

...I need to know how familiar you all are with the subject of the Lightsaber Arts."

Okay, now it was time to internally panic.

Ilia knew absolutely nothing about the Lightsaber Arts. Hadn’t even been in a close vicinity to see one until recently. What was she even going to say? Ilia had no idea, and was quietly panicking as she listened to the others speak. Remaining quiet, hoping to use the time to try and work out what to say.

Aveline and Tom’s responses confused her. Soresu, Makashi, Shii-Cho, Shien/Djem So, Niman, Juyo. Why were there so many different forms?!

Jaeson had some experience with weapons at least, although it still managed to confuse the Zabrak. Lightfoils. Tapani saber rake? What were they?!

During this time of panic, the Force began to swirl within Ilia. It was slowly picking up, like a storm growing more intense. Buried, but apparent to those that knew what to look for in someone. Fortunately, it didn’t get much further than that. Realizing what was happening, Ilia let out a deep breath and tried to focus. Remembering the lessons the Jedi had taught her when meditation wasn’t possible.

Her emotions calmed, and the excess energy was siphoned into the crystals on her gauntlets.

Ilia returned to reality just as Irridia was talking. The Zabrak looked practically relieved, knowing she wasn’t alone in not knowing much about the subject at hand. Even if Irridia did have an upper hand in experience to her, it gave Ilia a measure of confidence.

Same with me…” Ilia spoke up, her eyes shifting around at everyone before staying on Caedyn. “Honestly? I know absolutely zero about lightsabers. Hell, I’ve never held a weapon in my hand. Lived a very boring and ordinary life until a few months back.” She paused for a moment, her nerves surfacing again as she glanced down at her arms. “Was certainly not expecting to be where I am right now…”

She wasn't even a Force user to begin with until the incident.

Giggling, Casaana ran though the temple, epic music pumping through her earbuds. It was sooo big, she'd gotten lost twice just on the way to class. But she didn't let that deter her! Today she'd finally get to learn how to use her lightsaber properly! Like in the holo-vids! Not just that waving about and foot placement younglings were taught.

She wanted to fight pirates like Space-Captain Master La Croix, or maybe be a pirate! They got the coolest outfits and hats! Barreling into the class she saw they were going over what they knew, thought of two really cool things to say, couldn't decide which to say, and decided on both. If they were both good, both together were better right? Right!

Drawing her training saber with a spinning flourish she'd practiced all morning, Casaana jumped into an empty spot in the ring of Padawans. "Always be on guard! Defend yourself!" she shouted, or was what she intended to declare before interrupting herself with a yelping "Agh!" as her blade activated the wrong direction and shocked her arm, causing her to drop the weapon and jump back. "Owwww. That huuurts." She quietly wined to herself careful not to cry.

Caedyn Arenais

C
As it had turned out, there were a couple of students among the group that seemed to have experienced a significant amount of theoretical learning, more so than what Caedyn was understanding from the others in any case. Aveline Cuiléin Aveline Cuiléin and Tom Kovack had mentioned some more advanced forms of saber combat regularly taught, however mostly to the older students who'd progressed in their training of the saber arts.

The newest arrival among them seemed to enter in spectacular fashion, to which Caedyn awaited them to collect themselves and gestured to the others, making special effort not to call any attention to their mishap.

Upon hearing that many of the students had not yet been issued a training saber for their personal carryon, Caedyn gave a simple nod in acknowledgement and turned to walk across towards the entrance to the training room where beside the door stood a large cabinet with a pin protected magna-lock for safe keeping of the contents within. It took only a quick moment to input Caedyn's Knight-level clearance pin and with a click, the cabinet opened to reveal an assortment of training tools including a collection of training sabers plenty enough to make up for today's session.

"Those of you who do not have training hilts may take one from here" Caedyn gestured to the large cabinet before making his way back into the center of the room and awaiting those who were in need. "Those of you who already have a hilt, please ensure that they're set to training frequency, if they are otherwise full frequency sabers" he instructed out of care for them all. The last thing he wished for was to see one of the Padawan be disarmed in the literal sense.

Drawing his Datapad from the back of his belt, Caedyn tapped the screen and the device flared to life. "As you can all see, I've brought some friends with me today" Caedyn continued, while the Droids behind him seemed to come alive and began to spread out to form a line adjacent from the students own. Each of the training droids stood face to face with one of the students in what was obviously to become a one on one sparring match.

"Naturally, some of you aren't ready for a full on fight for your lives and so I will program each droid to a setting I believe would benefit you individually" Caedyn smiled, looking to the Padawan and giving them all a firm nod in confidence.

"For those of you who have practiced Shii-Cho before, your droid will be programed to defend itself as well as retaliating with the same form. For those who haven't received any training, your droids will merely defend themselves and you will be introduced to the handling of a lightsaber against a foe without the threat of being harmed".

Aveline had no idea what to expect from the rest of the group. She found some comfort in knowing that she probably had touched a lightsaber more times than some here, and that the probability of her embarrassing herself and becoming something of a local laughing stock diminished... Dimished, but of course, never completely vanished.

Tom seemed like the theoretical champ of the group, and though others had little experience with saberforms, there was plenty of combat experience to go around. Certainly enough to put her to shame. It was a little frustrating. She could put in the hours, the years, but still be at the mercy of someone with raw natural talent. Why couldn't that be her? Was she already too old to catch up? She didn't want to be seen as weak, inferior, unworthy... Seeing her droid sparring partner power up, Aveline did her best tucking those feelings under a mental carpet.

However, what frustrations she had managed to stow away quickly flourished again once the new arrival made her entrance. Eyes widened with surprise, her hand dropped towards a hilt that wasn't there. Aveline was already on edge, and was clearly not in the mood to be pulled a prank on. Count to ten Aveline, she told herself as she took a deep breath, shaking her head slowly while she assumed her previous position, ignoring the situation without further comment.

The training sabre would come in handy, and Aveline collected dutifully with a nod of thanks sent in their teacher's way. She ignited her blade and took up a ready stance. While she and her droid began something of a staring competition, everyone around her started phasing out from her mind's eye, her focus landing solely on her mechanical opponent.

Tom Kovack

T
Tom walked over to the cabinet and picked up a training lightsaber. It looked and felt about the same as the real thing, maybe a little more lightweight. Walking away from the others, he held it out carefully, made sure it was facing the right way, and activated it.

One of the training droids rolled over to him, its blade at the ready. Tom hesitated, his heart rate spiking from nervousness. He took up a defensive position, his feet apart, the pose similar to one he had seen in a documentary about the Jedi, and raised his blade.

The droid attacked. Tom’s reaction was delayed, and the saber singed his shoulder. He winced and jumped back, then forced himself to step back into his original position and try again. And again. And again. Each time he managed to block a blow, the next would get him. His reflexes weren’t quite up to par, and he was starting to become frustrated and angry with himself. The other Padawans around him weren’t all doing much better than him, but some were. Some definitely were.

Stepping away again, he lowered his blade, closed his eyes, took a deep breath, and tried to center himself. Jedi were supposed to be calm. Serene. Zen. Their inner peace allowed the Force to flow freely through them. Tom was not a particularly peaceful person, and his connection to the Force was already quite weak. When he opened his eyes and raised his blade once more, he managed to block three strikes before it got him, zapping the side of his knee. He let out a yelp, his frustration returning in a fuming rush. Though he was seething with annoyance and a growing sense of hopelessness, he pushed all those feelings down, imagining that he was cramming them into a box and locking them inside. For now, at least.

He kept going at it with the droid, but it would be quite plain to both Caedyn Arenais and his peers that Tom was no potential champion. Far from it, in fact. He was painfully inept at seemingly everything he tried, all the martial forms and all the techniques. Either he needed a great deal of specialized help, or he simply wasn’t cut out for this at all. How the hell he ever managed to get away with wielding an actual lightsaber without cutting off his own limbs was an even bigger mystery.

Aveline Cuiléin Aveline Cuiléin Ilia Valentina Ilia Valentina Jaeson Starchaser Jaeson Starchaser Irridia Solensis Casaana Casaana Kaia Vullen Kaia Vullen

Be careful what you wish for.
From above, he watched them. Truth is Caltin had been itching to get some practice in, but he did not want to intrude, the Knight in charge, “Caeden” had things well in hand. He too used droids, something Caltin was always into when it came to teaching a skill. He could appreciate the approach simply in how intently the Padawans were already paying attention. The other Knight in the room, “Kaia”? She seemed a little timid, but that was natural as the Jedi are about education first, always have been. That and the use of a weapon that will cut your hand off if you are not careful will do that.

It was time for the big guy to come down, it was not his class and he would not intrude, but there was a misconception in the air, that about Shii-Cho. Well, not a “misconception” really, but a difference of opinion in his eyes. Caltin believed that every form was powerful and important and no form was truly strong than another as all had their own weaknesses. For all of its flaws, the first form had strength in its simplicity. It was the true form of the Jedi, disarm over defeat, but it also specialized in multiple attackers.

Making his way down the stairs, Caltin could have, and usually would have jumped down, but he did not want to scar the younger set. The Massive Jedi Master did not “make his presence known”, he simply watched, arms folded over each other. As some were beginning their practicing, the Padawan “Tom”’s feelings were betraying him. It was natural to be annoyed at this point, but he seemed to “want it” a little more than necessary. No shame in that, and the big guy was not concerned that the kid would “fall to the dark side” or anything, but maybe he could interject here.

Letting his own long handle lightsaber, Conservator, hang over his back, he reached out through the Force pulling a training saber from the cabinet and into his hand igniting it In mid-air and swinging it around a few times before bringing the training weapon to his side.

This was an easy fix.

Hello everyone. Master Caltin Vanagor at your service. Why does a Jedi control their emotion?

Letting each of them answer, he explained.

Good, all of you. The plain answer is to not let your opponent “get into your head”. A clear head will allow you to focus on the opponent in front of you. However that does not mean that fear cannot happen, life has a way of lousing up your plans. That is why you train like this. The lightsaber is not simply a weapon, or a bunch of pieces of metal, it is an extension of your hand, your arm, your very body. Do not be afraid if you lose, or simply make a mistake. Learn from it.

A Jedi is about education after all.

With that, he spoke to Tom through the Force.

~Just relax, you are doing fine.~

Last edited:
Jaeson stared at the droid for a moment listening to the instruction. He had his lightsaber and held it tightly with both hands as he squared off against his opponent. The violet blade crackled to life in front of him it’s light reflecting off of his face echoing his mood.

Unsure of exactly what to do next he waited for the droid. He resisted the urge to cheap shot the droid. Was there a signal to go, was the droid ready? The answer came soon enough as he droid lunged forward. Jaesons saber moved and blocked the blow which came heavily at him practically knocking him off his feet. That was unexpected, he was pretty sure the droids were supposed to be programmed for their level of training, of course to his knowledge no one knew he had any training except… of course.

His eye narrowed at the droid as he looked at it. He knew how to deal with it, and his hand was already drifting toward the blaster at his side, but that wasn’t how he had to deal with it now. It took supreme effort to overcome his programming, his very genetics, and maintain the grip on his saber. The errant hand moved away from his blaster as the droid closed in once more.

Blocking and stepping back to keep the distance Jae rued the retreat. If he didn’t have the saber he knew what he would do, close in, get inside the droids reach and deliver a blow with the blaster at a range where even a miss wouldn’t miss. He wasn’t here for that though, he was here for lightsaber training, to learn the weapon of the Jedi and the Sith.

It didn’t look good for the young man as he remained on the back foot giving ground to the droid. In reality he was waiting for his time to strike. He couldn’t beat the droid in a standup fight, and nowhere in his thoughts was that the point, but he was smarter than any dumb droid.

With each desperate step back he planned until finally his back hit a wall. Now was the time. As the droid lunged in he blocked with his saber hand and with his open hand grabbed at his shirt. Using all the power available to him he kept the droids training saber away and ripped his shirt throwing the now destroyed article of clothing over the droids optical sensor. Instinct started to take over as Jaeson moved to grapple and control the droids arms. That wasn’t the point of this though. A great force of effort forced him to instead hop over the droid using the wall as a jumping point.

Jaeson wasn’t sure when exactly it happened but he found his blaster in his hand. Some point during his jump he had un holstered the thing and was now aiming squarely at the droids center mass….

Looking around he holstered the blaster hoping no one had noticed before lazily swiping at the droids back with his lightsaber hoping no one saw what he did...

Kaia Vullen Kaia Vullen | Ilia Valentina Ilia Valentina | Irridia Solensis | Tom Kovack | Aveline Cuiléin Aveline Cuiléin | Caedyn Arenais | Casaana Casaana

Jorah zos Darnus

J
The young Nightbrother was examining one of the...

...cylinders.

"What a strange weapon," the Dathomiri youth murmured, even as he inspected on the Jai light-sabers used for their trial of the... droid? They used mechanical things for their training?

"What can you all tell me about your learning or training around the Lightsaber, so far?"

The shaman that was leading this trial of the droid, or whatever it was that Jai referred to this training as, spoke. It was a male. Jorah had been told to expect such an oddity as a male instructing females, as the Dathomirian term for Jedi suggested -- a powerful male sorcerer -- and yet seeing it for himself he was presented with a rather alien concept that he found disconcerting.

"There are seven forms. I know Soresu is a defensive form, Makashi is elegant, and Ataru is a little wild. Shii-Cho is the basic form. I was told to master that before worrying about anything else."

Aveline Cuiléin Aveline Cuiléin spoke, and the Nightbrother was reminded that he had a journal with him for taking notes on these things. Dropping down onto the floor, the horned youth briefly brushed a hand over the head of the familiar that was napping at his feet. Producing a stylus, the boy began to make some notations as the Jai talked.

Seven forms. Shii-cho basic.

Another female said something about a CorSec. What was a CorSec?

There was a female who looked like a Zabrak. That is, a pureblood, unlike Jorah. Like him, she seemed to express unfamiliarity with the Jai weapon. So, it seemed as though, even among the Jai, the Witches of Dathomir were not the only ones confused by their strange ways.

But these were students, which was precisely why it had seemed a good opportunity to learn more about the Jai that had taken them in after Talay.

Another female, one who seemed about his same age, had a lesson in store when she seemed to activate the weapon in reverse. He took note of that, as he'd likely have repeated the same mistake. Looking back at the cylinder in his hand, he now had a better idea about which was the pointy end. Not that it was very obvious. It was just a metal cylinder. Even less imposing than a blaster.

A voice echoed from overhead, as another Jai introduced himself as Caltin Vanagor Caltin Vanagor and seemed to offer both wisdom and encouragement for the Jai. But his question was one that the Nightbrother mulled over in his mind.

Why does a Jedi control their emotion?

The manner in which the Jai practiced their magic was strange. But, even among the Witches of Dathomir, emotions could be dangerous. Balance. Harmony with and among the spirits. That was the secret to spell weaving.

One of the training droids floated over his way. It seemed that his reflection and examination on the Jai had ended and now was the time for this Trial of the Droid to begin. Very well. Jorah would accept the Jai's challenge to participate in this ritual of their making.

Putting away his journal, the boy scratched the familiar under the chin and then got back to his feet. Fumbling with the hilt for a moment, the Dathomiri found the activator switch. He gave a slight jump as the green blade snapped into being.

The hilt had weight. It had substance.

But the blade?

Rotating his wrist, the boy tried to flex and move as he would if he were holding a Duskblade.

The blade of the lightsaber had no weight. There was no center of balance as there would be for a zhaboka or sword. How did the Jai come by such a strange instrument?

A bolt fired from the training droid interrupted the boy's brooding, catching him in the side and causing him to dance on one foot.

Cradling the cylinder in both hands, the youth tried to compensate for this strange lack of balance in the weapon and place his attention on the droid in the air. A second bolt caught him in the thigh. In his surprise, his hand slipped and the lightsaber blade came back to smack him in the head.

He began to see why the Jedi needed reminding about control of one's emotions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking around blushing, Casaana was grateful that nobody seemed to be making a thing out of her antics. Or worse, laughing. Quickly, she bent down to retrieve her training saber and checked it over. Not finding any scuffs, she breathed a quiet sigh of relief right as the biggest person she had ever seen walked into the room. Wait, she'd seen the wookiees, never-mind. But he was still big, and bald, and asking questions. She kept her mouth shut this time, wanting to stay unnoticed after her earlier blunder. At least she didn't have to worry about someone 'getting into her head'! The youngling Matron at Chalacta had told her lots of times that nothing ever got through her head.

Instead she focused on the droid in front of her, it had ridiculously long arms and seemed to tower over her almost as much as the adults around her. Taking up a standard offensive neutral stance since she was to attack first, she studied the target. Treads meant she couldn't attack at zones five or six, and the head was likely out of reach unless she jumped or stretched up, leaving the arms and sides, zones two and three.

The little Jedi leaned in almost casually going for a strike at the inside of the training droid's 'wrist' which it drew back and swatted her blade aside, the momentum of which she let swing the tip of her saber around in a tight and much faster circle to come at the droid's guard from the other side. At the same time she stepped to its outside with a double skipping hop to bring its wrist back in range for a textbook standard Form I Cho-Mai disarming strike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom