Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question Should we just nuke all the Majors for christmas

giphy.gif

I'm a fan. It's just so hard to break into some of the oldest huge factions that are all set. But on the other hand people have put a lot of work into them and that might suck. A lot of people are doing a lot with what we have.

I'm torn. On one hand there are majors that really have gone stagnant, on the other there are a few that seem to be thriving. If it was handled on a case by case basis - but then that would make it weird and there'd almost certainly be salt. Idk. Screw it, why not lmao. It's a website called Chaos, let it be chaotic.

No clue how to implement it though. A galaxywide plague would work as the cause, but it does seem a bit repetitive/too close to the Gulag. On the other hand, I'm not opposed to using a plague/resurgence of the Gulag virus as a dramatic site event regardless.

We already handle it on a case by case basis, but I’ve basically handwaved the last two activity checks. This was a well recieved very peaceful, relaxing move by Staff that allowed the MFOs time to chill and not worry about numbers, posts, etc.

But it’s also aided in stemming inactivity.

We already handle it on a case by case basis, but I’ve basically handwaved the last two activity checks. This was a well recieved very peaceful, relaxing move by Staff that allowed the MFOs time to chill and not worry about numbers, posts, etc.

But it’s also aided in stemming inactivity.

In that case wipe the map then, and carry on ignoring the activity checks. Let the community do its thing.

It's an exciting idea, but I'd have a few questions about the implementation is done. For example, what happens to player content attached to those factions (Primarily submissions to Factory / Codex), and what are the implications to characters actively involved and engaged with those factions?

Would this become a precedent and therefore discourage people from investing more heavily in factions worried it might get nuked?

I'd suggest an alternative arrangement. Perhaps something along the lines of wax/wane where factions naturally lose territory if their activity drops below a certain number, this can be tied to something like Hex's owned. It would stagnate some of the gains made by larger factions and enable smaller more active factions to quickly enter into conflicts/diplomacy with their larger neighbours.

Of course, I have no idea how much work goes into editing the map and keeping it updated. It might be too big a workload and further complicate things.

If there was a map wipe and Major Faction wipe, I would suggest it just be a mass demotion to Minor so that those who are active can re-apply for Major in the midst of the chaos.

Not sure if it is the best solution to wipe everything, but if it is done preserving people's hard work as much as possible would be nice.

I feel taking into account factions who haven't gone stagnant seems fair, but at the same time, those factions will also likely be back to Major and doing well either way.

So I agree with Ala, that it would at least be good to find a way to preserve the hard work of folks as best as possible. Which I think is in how the map is wiped if it happens at all.

I know this topic is spread over 3 different threads in this forum, but some kind of calamity that doesn't undo the history of what has been done, but really just resets territory. It's going to probably feel a bit crazy regardless of what you'll do, but a lot of amazing things have been built in just the last year alone, and it'd be great to preserve those memories IC too.

Vesta

V
if this is a serious question looking for serious answers, if you have to ask then go ahead and do it, tho I think the netherworld approach with the map space shrinking thing you did would probably be the best approach. I don't think it would add or take anything away, tho tbh I think we probably had a huge spike in activity back then.

if this is a question to rile people up and you're looking for reactions and not serious answers:
Do it, you won't

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom