Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faction Shiraya Falls: Intervention

salsoren_practice.gif

Bran_Div.png

BranBorder3.png
In the last three months, Brandyn Sal-Soren had done one of two things, the first being to spend time with his beloved Cybelle Elyance Cybelle Elyance and the other being to hunt those responsible for the death of his parents. He particularly favoured those responsible for the death of his mother Teyla Sal-Soren Teyla Sal-Soren . I was a decidedly un-Jedi thing to do. But Brandyn had been sullied so much by his time undercover with what was now the Unblessed…the line of morality had become blurred.

He had terminated the human-like droid that had been the direct hand of assassination. He had battled with and terminated the man that funded the mission. But the scientist who had created the synthetic compound used to kill his mother…no one would argue that Brandyn had not committed murder there.

As a child, he had longed to be a hero. He was coming to terms with the loss of that dream. He was no hero. He was…or could become…something else.

His sister had visited. His master had come for information. His trial still was to be held, and the murder of Paraclet Marr to be judged. Brandyn knew his days as a Jedi were likely numbered. Where he would go from here…who he would become? These things were open to the will of the Force, and any advisor that might come his way.

| Open to Jedi |​

Since leaving the Order, Thelma had wandered. The Jedi whom she had once called her peers no longer seemed as interested in hunting her. It was to her benefit, of course, but she felt a pang of loneliness all the same. She had been forgotten.

Perhaps because her days had been filled with prisons as of late, she found herself visiting a particular cage. It held a man she had never met before, a Jedi due to stand trial for murder. She entered by way of stealth, and approached his cell, peering inside. There was curiosity in her violet eyes, but no judgment.

"How did you end up here?" she asked.

He hadn’t heard her approach, but there was s definite ripple in the Force. Brandyn looked up to see a curious woman looking over him. He stood and approached the force field. His eyes narrowed. She looked familiar, but he could not say he knew her. Or of her.

”They say I murdered a man.”

He shifted uncomfortably from foot to foot.

”I say a murderer got justice…”

VVVDHjr.png

TO AID A SOUL
VVVDHjr.png

Tags: Brandyn Sal-Soren Brandyn Sal-Soren Thelma Goth Thelma Goth

Joran had spent less and less time as of late in the Core Worlds. His efforts in the Outer Rim at the Eadu Enclave and across the Scar Worlds had kept him busy, and his trips to visit Coruscant, and the New Jedi Order as a whole, had been scarce. Perhaps it was for the best, Joran supposed, but it was still important for him to keep contact with the Jedi in the galactic interior, especially as the growing darkness to the north and south of the galaxy spread. Now more than ever, the Jedi needed to stand strong, and be firm in their ideals and bonds of unity.

Which is why Joran had taken notice of a particular case that was making its way around the Jedi Temple. A Jedi Knight who, according to the reports, had ended the life of an innocent man. Innocent by the standards of the court, perhaps, but some digging on Joran's part had revealed the darker truths of the story. Remorse and regret lingered in Joran's mind as he made his way to the Jedi Knight's cell. He wished to speak with the man, gauge his mind, and if possible, help soothe the pain that would no doubt linger. Murder was a crime, and one that required punishment, but true justice was not always as white and black as the law desired it to be.

As he approached the cell, Joran sensed another individual there. He paused mid stride, reaching out with the Force to try and identify those present. He did not recognize either of them, though the presence of the being not in the cell gave Joran further pause. He had an inclination of what their presence in the Force represented, but he did not let it cloud his judgement.

Resuming his path, Joran passed into visual sight of the two speaking. He approached quietly, not wanting to interrupt their conversation. He saw the man sitting in the cell, the one that all this affair was about, and bowed his head in greeting. He waited for a pause in the conversation before speaking, bowing as well to the other woman that was present. "Hello to you both," Joran said, his voice relaxed and filled with warmth as he regarded the two beings before him. "I hope I do not intrude, but I had hoped to speak with Jedi Brandyn Sal-Soren."

Turning his gaze fully to the Jedi in the cell, Joran inclined his head once more. "I am pleased to meet you, young Jedi, though I wish it were under different circumstances. My name is Joran Olan, Jedi Master and leader of the Jedi Enclave of Eadu." Joran folded his hands in front of him, the folds of his white Jedi robes shifting around him as he regarded the Jedi before him, occasionally looking over at Thelma as well.

"She is correct," Joran said, his voice taking on a softer tone, "doing what is right is not always what is just. As Jedi, we are keepers of the peace and protectors of the innocent. To take a life is not something we set out to do, but it is something we must be prepared for. Our charge to protect those who cannot protect themselves means that sometimes, we must think about the long term consequences of our actions. While it may not be just, to protect the innocent, we must sometimes end a life that we know has committed evil, and will do so again in the future."

Joran paused then, glancing up and around at the cell that held the Jedi within. "
It does not absolve us of our sins, nor alleviate the burden we will bear in our hearts, and it may put us on the wrong side of the law, but sometimes that is necessary. It is how we respond to what must be done, and how we strive to maintain balance within ourselves, that define our journey as Jedi." A different though occurred to Joran then, and he glanced back towards the captive Knight. "What punishment are you hoping for, young Sal-Soren? What path do you wish to see yourself put on?"

“I wasn’t survival. But I understand the sentiment,” Brandyn said to her, “and yes. My mother…my father…they are dead today because of the people…that are also now dead today. I could not live…awaiting the cosmic scales to balance out on their own…I could not trust…that justice would prevail. I have seen to much injustice to be that naive.”

A well built and dignified man entered the cell block. He was unfamiliar to Brandyn, but Brandyn could see much of himself in the man.

“Greetings Master Olan,” Brandyn said with an offered tip of his head in respect.

“You know my circumstances then, Master Jedi?” He said calmly, “you speak as one that excuses the line I willingly and knowingly crossed. The man I killed was guilty of much. But he was defenceless. I could have arrested him. I know this well enough. Another Jedi was there to prevent me from killing the man. And I had a moment to think. But I did it. And I would do it again…I know this deep in my heart. When I meditate…I know myself now. I also know it was wrong. It is only right that I be judged for my actions. Not absolved.”

Wearing: Nathan's Robes

Armed with: Training Lightsaber (Blue)

Nathan was capable of empathy, even if he didn't often display it.

It was that which prompted this visit to the disgraced Jedi's cell...and in a way, prep himself for how he would be treated once all his secrets were outed and there was no cover left.

As he came upon the cell, he saw Brandyn Sal-Soren Brandyn Sal-Soren arguing with an older man about how it was only right he be punished after taking revenge on his parent's killers.

Part of him instinctively resisted the notion...what had, realistically, been his option? Wait for the system, a biased, corrupt system looking for any chance, as far as he could tell, to put Jedi in their place, to deal with the maniacs that had unleashed that virus fairly? There were already too many politicians that were tired of having to do it the Jedi's way, or tired of Jedi in the Alliance in general, too tempted by the absolute power in their reach.

How could he judge Brandyn for doing up close at the first opportunity what he had done to Elaine from afar after resisting the urge to take revenge for years? If anything Brandyn had been braver than Nathan had in that instance... Nathan had taken his vengeance only when he had known for certain through the Force that he wouldn't live past a week regardless of whether he took his revenge on Elaine or not. Brandyn had done it when he still had everything to lose and nothing to gain in the doing of it.

As he watched, he couldn't help but feel that the Jedi were going to treat him worse than they ever would have treated the people he had killed. He wasn't certain whether he was thinking more of Brandyn or himself when it came to that latter musing.

Nathan suppressed an incredibly cold smile from entering his features as he overheard Brandyn say he had given justice to a murderer.

But he internally face palmed when he realized Thelma Goth Thelma Goth was here. She had come back...

You gotta be KIDDING! I go through all that trouble to bust you out and you come back HERE?! To the FETHIN' CELL?! he thought to himself in exasperation.

Joran Olan Joran Olan at the very least, wasn't interested in getting out the noose just yet, more interested in asking what punishment Brandyn thought he should get.

At this point, he spoke up.

"Maybe they should just give him community service..." Nathan remarked from outside his cell.

"After all, not like he killed someone who hadn't brought it on themselves. Failing that, expulsion...seems fair, if he absolutely must be punished. The courts and the council can wring their hands over the death of a madman if they want, but honestly if you put him behind bars he's of no use to anyone. The Justice System would gain nothing but an empty triumph if he's locked away. And he would sit in there being useless and bitter. He'd come out worse than when he went in. No one wins if he goes to prison except the Order's enemies."

VVVDHjr.png

TO AID A SOUL
VVVDHjr.png

Tags: Brandyn Sal-Soren Brandyn Sal-Soren Thelma Goth Thelma Goth Nathan Bloodscrawl Nathan Bloodscrawl

Joran titled his head to the side slightly, detecting the arrival of another individual to this little gathering. It was turning out to be a very popular section of the jail, but perhaps that was what was necessary. There was much turmoil in the young man's heart and mind. More points of view would not necessarily make matters simpler, but there was almost never a single correct answer in times like this. It would fall to the young Jedi in question which path was his to take. As a teacher, it was simply Joran's duty to provide him the options and perspective to make his choice.

"
I do not disregard the line we must walk," Joran began, "but I acknowledge how fragile it may be. We seek to control our emotions, to shackle our will to that of the Force to allow it to guide us. We are meant to be guardians and protectors of the innocent, but sometimes, we are only human. Mistakes will be made, and there will be consequences and regrets." He paused for a moment, taking the time to nod briefly in the direction of the new comer, and allowing his eyes to dance briefly across the woman that was even now trying to fade into the shadows.

"
Atonement is what you seek," Joran said, "attornment and punishment for the crime you committed. You made a mistake, and wish to be crucified for it. You made a choice, and wish to let the blade fall where it may. What our friends here say is both true, though it could have been more..." Joran glanced at Nathan briefly, one eyebrow raised, "elegantly delivered. You know the truth of what you did, you know that it was wrong, and you submit yourself to the result of your action, though you do not apologize. Deep down, this tells me you did what you believe was right, even if it breaks the laws that you have dedicated your life to. I believe you would be wasted in a life behind bars, or expulsion from the Order."

Joran crouched down, seeking to bring his eyes more level with the man in the cell. "
I could offer you another choice," Joran said, his words barely above a whisper, though all present would still be able to clearly hear his words, "a penance of service. You must be punished, but I say let your punishment be righting the wrong and working to help others, as is the true Jedi way. I have founded a new Enclave in the Outer Rim on the world of Eadu, within the Scar Worlds. A region rife with piracy, criminals and those in need of help. There are countless dangers that we must face in that region, and the risk of death is around every corner. If you wish it, I could ask the court that your punishment be exiled from the Core worlds to the Outer Rim, to the Enclave. I will help you personally confront this turmoil within yourself, and the other teachers at the Enclave will as well."

Joran rose back to his feet then, folding his hands behind his back. "
The choice will be yours in the end, young Jedi. I can only offer you counsel, and another choice for you to consider."

Brandyn looked calmly at the woman. “What is the purpose of repentance when you know you would do it again for others that you loved?” He said without hesitation, “I know it is in me. I know I would do it. To repent would be to lie to myself and to others, and for what…retaining a title?”

The cell block was a popular place today. It was occasionally like this. Jedi coming to redeem him. To save his soul. Brandyn didn’t feel like he had become evil, on the contrary. He felt like he had hunted down evil. But he did feel he was different. A certain idealism had snapped like a twig.

“Expulsion seems to be a logical recourse,” Brandyn said with a tip to the humorous newcomer, “prison time does not phase me and would seem warranted. I suspect a Jedi prison is not something that exists…and staying here for a long time does not seem to be logistically feasible.“

The Jedi Master spoke of exile. This was an option that he had not considered. Being free but not free to go where he wanted, not back to his homeworld, or even to his new home on Hapes…that might hurt, but Cybelle would likely follow him wherever he went. Though he would not assume.

Cybelle.

His heart sank a little. She deserved better. But she also deserved someone that would do anything for her. Right?

“I seek punishment. Yes. Atonement? What can one do to repay the cost of murdering a murderer? What is the price of their life…if exile is what the council deems necessary, then I will do as they command. But a question for you…a Sith about to take over the galaxy…and a Jedi Master stands over them…prepared to strike and end the life of the Sith…this is something that happens every Taungsday with Jedi of this Order…Sith killed by Jedi…but another Jedi demands that the Sith be brought to trial because it is the right way…the Jedi Master can save billions of lives…with one moral derivation from his long held code…why should he not sacrifice his own morals to save those lives?”

Finally! Some one who GETS IT! a small part of him thought. Nathan crushed it in an instant. His mistakes and failures were his own. It was his choice.

Nathan knew to speak now would be peak hypocrisy coming from him. But he had to.

He'd started getting sloppy as his original death approached. Playing faster. Looser. Reckless.

"Because the after effects come back to haunt you in ways you can't predict. Our actions cause ripples. Sometimes a tiny bit of turmoil is all it takes to turn a wave into a Tsunami."

Nathan was still as a statue as he spoke.

"I knew someone at death's door once..." he trailed a bit before continuing.

"It was before I was a Padawan. Before joining you was even a notion in my mind. When they were very young, their family was murdered by an assault on their home. The perpetrator was only lightly punished, and eventually went on to regain a position of respect in their homeland, while the lone survivor of the massacre was forced into a position of extreme desperation, hardship, and long lasting psychological trauma that they never fully recovered from."

Nathan gave away nothing in his body language or facial expressions to indicate he was talking about himself. He rattled it all off like he was taking notes in an office. And he made it more obscure by keeping it as close to the truth as possible.

"They learned they were about to die. Of what is irrelevant. It killed them eventually. But before it did, when they literally had one week left, this person decided to at last take revenge on the perpetrator. After all, what did it matter? Their life was over. So they decided the Perpetrator would die from the very same thing that was going to kill them. The Perpetrator was exposed to it long enough to be overtaken. A week later, the Lone Survivor was dead. But what had killed them did not react the same to the one who had killed their family, instead turning them into something horrifying. The Perpetrator became much worse than they had ever been before and went on to cause others to contract what had infected them, killing thousands."

Nathan folded his arms. "One act of spite. Done almost casually. They didn't live to see it, but the shockwave spread like a wall of water, crushing and drowning everything in it's path, and ended up tarnishing the Survivor's honor irretrievably after their demise, destroying their entire legacy as a Public Servant. Worst of all, this shockwave ended up destroying the one person the Survivor had wanted to protect most."

Nathan stepped forward, face showing zero emotion, voice at less than zero.

"If you still think it cannot come back to haunt you, Brandyn Sal-Soren Brandyn Sal-Soren , than I shall tell you only this one other thing: You don't even need to be alive for it to come back to haunt you, and everyone left that you still care about."

Thelma Goth Thelma Goth

Joran Olan Joran Olan

VVVDHjr.png

GENERAL INFORMATION
VVVDHjr.png

A philosophical question, though one that many young Jedi considered in their time. It was one that Joran himself had been troubled by, but had since come to an acceptance of what it meant to him. That was the trouble of being a Jedi. There were so many beliefs, so many rules, but to each member of the Order, they could mean something different. A different significance, a different need to be followed or ignored as needed. Joran turned to watch as one of their number departed, and allowed the other to speak his mind as he considered the best way to answer the imprisoned Jedi.

"
If there is the possibility to contain the Sith," Joran said slowly, "then it is our duty as a Jedi to preserve life, even the fallen life of a Sith. If they can be imprisoned, held safely and brought to proper trial then it must be done, for to ignore our own laws when we have every chance to follow them is to shatter the system. However, should the Sith prove too dangerous to contain, or the resources unavailable to do so, then it is the moral choice and requirement of our Order to protect the innocent, that we must take their life."

Joran shook his head, a frown on his face. "
It is a difficult thing to understand, and a harder thing to determine yourself. To willing choose to sacrifice your morals for the easier path surrenders yourself to the path the one you judge has followed. I do not discredit the choice if it is the one that you must make, but it must be taken carefully, and with the proper reverence for what it signifies. Afterwards, you must take the time to connect with yourself, to settle your mind, and reunite with your true self."

Brandyn frowned. There was no easy answer, and no easier answer was forthcoming. He understood what they were both saying. Open you path to the dark side, forsake your morals, and the darkness will dominate your destiny and the cast shadows on all those you love.

But if the light could not bring about justice.

”…what good is it?”

He looked at the two men, aware that he had spoken the last bit of his sentence outloud, but he wasn’t sure about the first part of it.

”Ah…thank you for your wisdom shared…I shall take it on board and meditate further.”

Joran Olan Joran Olan Nathan Bloodscrawl Nathan Bloodscrawl

Attire: Jedi Outfit
Companion: Grisial
Equipment: Lightsaber, Nightsister bow
Tag: Brandyn Sal-Soren Brandyn Sal-Soren

Her friend had been arrested. He had murdered someone in cold blood. It had been someone she gotten to know early on in joining the Galactic Alliance.

It was someone she never thought she would visit in prison.

Brandyn seemed to be someone trying to fit the heroic, radiant Jedi type who would do no wrong. Whereas when they first met Dreidi had been very vocal about the ends justify the means, that sometimes a Jedi needed to be dealing justice through ending those deemed highly dangerous in a very final manner. She had done it herself in the past.

How different she was now and it seemed that Brandyn was a very different person now. She feared that he might be heading down a path where he would end up isolated, darker, crueler as a person and lose the qualities that those closest to him loved.

But he had also been through so much so quickly. Lost family, through a murder. It was hard to not see sympathy and understand why he acted the way he did. But also knowing that such actions reflected him poorly but also the Jedi Order.

Approaching where Brandyn was being held, Dreidi had Grisial following her and he was showing the nervousness energy that she felt coursing through her body. "Hey Brandyn." Her voice was softer and there was a sadness in her tone to see her friend where he was.

"Did you want to talk about what happened and what you want to do next?" There was no judgement in her tone as she was just wanting to try understanding where Brandyn currently was and how she could help him maintain the path of a Jedi that she felt he still truly wished to follow.

Time passed slowly, and yet visitors seemed to come frequently. Brandyn did not dislike having visitors, but did find that time did not speed up even with a guest present. It was just a long wait till something…anything…of substance happened.

”Dreidi…greetings…”

He offered greeting with both hands slightly outstretched and upwards.

”…I would offer you a drink…but…I barely get them when I want them.”

It was a joke. He was well cared for and had no complaints as to his treatment. If anything, it may have almost been too nice here…besides the whole…lack of freedom thing.

”Do I want to talk about it?” Brandyn said, and shook his head no, “there isn’t really much to say…I respect you Dreidi…but doubt there is much you can say that others haven’t already said.”

Dreidi Xeraic Dreidi Xeraic

"Damn, next you'll be telling me that the food is not the usual Naboo nobility and it upsets your stomach." Dreidi stated in a dry, straight-laced manner but a smirk etched on her lips to show that she was merely teasing him a little more for being a rich noble.

She accepted that Brandyn didn't want to talk about it. Especially if he had been dealing with a stream of people, people who likely attempted to offer solutions and wanted to see Brandyn seek redemption.

"My father was murdered by a Sith. Guessing you didn't know that, I rarely talk about it." Dreidi commented, just making conversation. "I don't even know the name of the Sith, yet alone their appearance. It wasn't easy, knowing that his death will never be avenged."

Dreidi sat down and let out a sigh, "took me years to accept that fact. To know that whoever killed my father roams freely, unaware the ruin they caused my family."

"Completely estranged with them all. I spent years alone, Brandyn." She then looked up and over to him, "you're lucky. You get to live your life knowing your mother is avenged, that your family still loves you, that Cybelle still loves you."

"I think you forget how lucky you are. How privileged you are. But it is easy to forget all that." There was no judgement in her tone, she did not think Brandyn was terrible or what he did was necessarily wrong. She understood his desires, it was more she wasn't sure he knew how lucky he was in comparison to others. Her fingers caressed Grisial to relax herself a little. Talking about family was never easy for Dreidi.

His wilful indifference faded with Dreidi’s transparency. She was right. He did not know. As he listened to her story, he felt a weight falling on his shoulder. A weight of guilt. Even before she called him on his privilege, he was already feeling his own internal chastisement bearing down upon him.

“I am so sorry, Dreidi. That is a burden that is…well…I am sorry for what you have had to live through. I wish you better than that.”

But guilt over his actions was not anything new.

“How we perceive our privilege is definitely a matter of perspective,” he said, after a long moment, “I am indeed greatly blessed, Shiaraya be praised.”

“If you had had the chance. Would you have done what I did? Would you have sought out…and taken the life…of the one that broke your family?”

It seemed her honest had impacted Brandyn in ways she hadn't intended but she also thought was possibly needed. It was easy to say revenge is not the Jedi way, it is harder to handle with losing a parental figure and never having the choice to move past the desires for revenge.

Looking over at him, "life is not always fair. It takes plenty from some and gives more to others. But, sometimes it is important to see it as you deal with as much as you can handle. I was dealt this hand, I have done my best to cope with it." Dreidi held some pain in her voice but it was a pain she had coped with for years now.

"What would it have done? Would I feel better? Would my family be restored afterwards?" Dreidi sighed, blinking her tears as she thought about it more. "Your question has two answers. If you ask this when my father dies and I am just grieving. Then yes, that Sith would have been killed instantly if I had the opportunity."

"But you ask if I would take the revenge if my father's killer revealed themselves now, I don't know. I doubt I would hunt them down. But I also know leaving them alone would be dangerous..." Dreidi sighed, it was tough, "I know I wouldn't do it alone and I wouldn't want to be the executioner. But I would be tempted to hunt them down, ensure they could not break another family apart and continue to fight the Sith."

She looked over to him again, "but it doesn't mend your heart, it just breaks your soul, doesn't restore the feeling right? Do you truly feel better for killing that person? Do you think you ended that cycle of pain?" Dreidi wasn't asking in a way to make Brandyn feel bad, she was genuinely curious how it felt achieving what she never could.

It felt like one of the few genuine conversations he had had about the subject. Most had declared their disappointment, acceptance or understanding, few had wanted to unpack things. Brandyn felt a surge of gratefulness rise within. Dreidi was a good friend.

“Something broke within me the day my parents died. That seems like the most understandable statement ever…I know…but hear me out…”

He raised his hands and made what looked like a patting motion in the air. It simply said, ‘Give me time to get this out.’

“…and I didn’t think that killing Marr or the assassin…would bring them back, or unbreak me…so no…I don’t feel better…but I also don’t feel worse. Jedi kill people every day. These were people that had killed, or aided in killing, and would do so again. I did the galaxy a favour…and I showed my family that I am not weak…I can…and will…do what it takes.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom