Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship Shimrra-class Coralskipper

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Umbris Potestas Est
Coralskipper_SotG.jpg

Image Credit: Starships of the Galaxy, Saga Edition
Intent: To develop an official class of coralskipper for the Horde to use.
Development Thread: N/A
Manufacturer: Horde Shapers
Model: Shimrra-class Coralskipper
Affiliation: The Horde
Modularity: Yes (no two are exactly alike)
Production: Mass-Produced
Material: Yorik Coral
Description: In an effort to mix crude technological workings with the organic shaping of the Yuuzhan Vong Yorik-Et, the Shimrra-class Coralskipper was designed with a minor degree of standardization in mind. When the yorik coral frame was being shaped, a metal mold featuring the ideal shape for a coralskipper was placed around the developing coral, ensuring that it would grow into a shape easily identifiable as one of the Horde's coralskippers. Integrated into the ship's design were a single magma missile launcher in the nose, and a pair of magma missile launchers, designed to each fire three magma missiles at hostile targets. These ships are upgunned from the Yo'Gand-class standard "interceptor" variant used during the war with the New Republic, armed with a quartet of yaret-kor rock launchers/plasma cannons/whatever else canon calls them. Entirely unshielded, the Coralskipper relies on a dovin basal's gravity well for mobility and protection, and is slightly less maneuverable than its predecessor, equalling the A-Wing instead of surpassing it. Like the previous Yo'Gand-class coralskipper, the Shimrra-class must regularly consume matter in order to keep its structure properly repaired and its guns full of ammunition. It cannot make new magma missiles, and those must be reloaded while docked on board a carrier.

While standardization was somewhat enforced, the locations of the guns and the ordnance launchers very just a bit on each individual ship. This means that no two coralskippers will be bore-sighted at exactly the same distance, and no two coralskippers will lead a target for missile lock at the same distance. This issue can become quite troublesome if pilots are forced to report to their ships, as they may get in another's craft and find themselves almost entirely unprepared for how that coralskipper has been bore-sighted or led. As well, for a starfighter, it has a surprisingly large target profile from almost any angle, allowing for quick dispatching regardless of whether the attack is head-on, from the side, or even from behind or beneath. Like all coralskippers, Shimrras are not equipped with hyperdrive analogs, forcing them to use carriers for transport. Plans are underway, however, to shape a creature to rectify that issue.

Classification: Starfighter
Role: Multirole
Height: 5m
Width: 10m
Length: 13m
Power Core Generator/Reactor: Dovin Basal
Hyperdrive Rating: N/A
Minimum Crew: 1
Optimal Crew: 1
Armaments:

• Yaret-Kor (4, nose guns)
  • Magma Missile Launcher (3, 2 wing-mounted, 1 nose-mounted, 3 magma missiles each)
Hangar:
  • N/A
Non-Combative Attachments:
  • Cognitive Hood
  • Sensor Analogs
  • Dovin Basal Gravity Well(shield analog)
  • Yorik coral self-repairs over time with proper resources
Passenger Capacity: N/A
Cargo Capacity: 1 metric ton
Consumables: 1.5 days
Sublight Speed and Maneuverability:
Class 2

Okay, a few small things, that this is vong and galactic tech with a very minor crossing is alright considering that the faction is flavored very heavily that way, but you are giving a fighter analog an interceptor's speed with no reason why. Yes the cannon version was supposed to be faster, but considering that as tech has improved on a galactic scale, every thing is faster. The benchmarks are there to give those without extensive EU knowledge something they can relate to.
I'm not quite sure what a backpack style launcher is beyond maybe a few tubes stuck on top kinda like the Russian Rocket trucks from WWII and right after. Is that right?
While the unique weapons convergence for each ship is interesting, I don't think pilots would ever just grab another's ship, especially with this being a problem. It doesn't happen with any other faction and theirs are all identical until you get inside and to the computer and chair settings and what-not. Soldiers are trained to always know exactly where their combat gear is and to grab it and not someone else's just so they don't die for it. It'd be like a knight using another's sword to put it in human terms. The uniqueness is interesting and could provide for a tense rp if a player had to borrow or steal one, but it shouldn't be a problem for the pilots as a whole.
@[member="Circe Savan"]

In Umbris Potestas Est
With the Class 1 spec being listed as "A-Wing," and the coralskipper being considered by Lando Calrissian as being capable of "snap-turn[ing] with an A-wing," it only makes sense that this version of the coralskipper would have the same class of speed and maneuverability.

"By "backpack" I mean the little hole-like areas in the front of the wings are where the torpedoes are located. As the launchers are linked, it'll fire two from the left, two from the right, and one from each side at the same time.

In a panic-like situation, with a carrier under attack, it wouldn't surprise me if at least a few pilots chose ships that belonged to another Vong. As well, I'd assume that, being living creatures, coralskippers could react differently to different people.

@[member="Domino"]

I doubt I could get a finger through those holes let alone a missile, but that's alright, not everything has to match up to the picture. You could go with wing-mounted if you liked for clarity.
Snap-turning isn't speed and produces a lot of stress on a ship not normally encountered, this will not be approved with anything higher than a speed of 2 with its current armament.
Your choice on the pilot thing.
@[member="Circe Savan"]

In Umbris Potestas Est
Edited. I was referencing the holes at the very ends near the wingtips, that look like air intake areas, not the small holes that're part of the coral's texture. The pilot thing I think I'll keep.

@[member="Domino"]

Okay, this is almost ready for approval, it still says 'backpack' in the description after you changed it in the weapons listing.
Minor thing.
@[member="Circe Savan"]

[member="Enigma"]

This submission was reported for the following reason:

The Yuuzhan Vong were also known to deploy grutchin torpedoes which were massive shells that contained hundreds of grutchins. The sheer size of the torpedo meant that only Koros-Strohna were capable of firing them.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Grutchin
This submission is currently under review and is no longer approved.

Enigma,

Due to the requirements for breeding Grutchin (Breeding pools noted by the wiki to only be located on worldships), the fast metabolism (and assumed short life) of Grutchin, and the lack of space on a Yorik-Et, I'm judging this entry as being unable to meet the requirements needed to realistically sustain 9 living grutchin enroute to battle.

Since Koros-Strohna are classified as superweapons and require permission from Staff to use (and no one has one), these ships need to be denoted for planetary use only (so the grutchin can survive long enough to be used in battle) or submit a new species variant of the Grutchin that can withstand space and perform a similar function, while also much, much smaller.

In Umbris Potestas Est
If you want me to edit out and remove any mention of the grutchin torpedo so this can be reapproved, I can do that, [member="Tefka"] .

Edited. Please reapprove, [member="Tefka"] .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom