Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Seafoam and Deeds

Eliz_div.png
Objective: Recover lost Beskar
Tags: [ Valery Noble Valery Noble ]

To venture so far beyond the Enclave's borders and into the Galactic Alliance's Inner Rim was certainly bold of Jenn Kryze.

Bold, or downright suicidal, depending on one's point of view.

Compared to the might of the Galactic Alliance, the Enclave was... small. If her presence was noticed, she might very well find herself overwhelmed - by regular troops, or by the Jedi. A thought that sent a shiver down her spine.

But opportunities had to be seized - especially in such a time of turmoil, war, and uncomfortable realities. Her target was amusingly out of his depth: some sheltered son of high society, born of a Senator and an executive in some armament company she couldn't quite care about. A young man ignored by his parents, who sought to impress his peers with his frivolous use of the immense wealth at his disposal... something that would have earned him some sympathy from another, but not from Jenn. From the moment he had gotten his hands on the hallowed birthright of her people, the Kayatr'ade hardened her heart, and fully immersed herself into the persona her people had found most productive throughout the ages: that of the faceless, merciless hunter. For some, it was nothing more than a facade, but for others, this display had become their core identity.

Following the trail of the lost beskar'gam from the Arkanis Sector all the way to the Inner Rim reminded her of her days as a bounty hunter, when chasing prey was all that she knew. When she lost herself in her work, abandoned reason in favor of her hatred of all those who used the Force, when she blazed the trail to ruin - hers, and that of her enemies. It was only thanks to Jhira's intervention that she recovered from this bloody path of ever-consuming vengeance and hatred, shown concern and kindness by another when she needed it most. And now, here she was, swimming through the water that caressed her form so pleasantly with powerful strokes of her fin, relishing in the chance to shift into her true form as an Ersansyr. A tactical decision, to be sure, given that the little brat and his friends were being guarded by a small force of house guards - but those fools had locked down land access to the private beach, and nobody expected an amphibious insertion.

Then again, who ever did expect a Mandalorian Siren? She could see the fear in their eyes when she emerged from the water, revolver levelled their way. Shifting back to her legs had become easier in the time since her transformation - unwanted at the time, perhaps, but with the control she now possessed over her new nature, she could not quite find it in herself to go back. She had always remained lightly-armored below the chest, which made the subsequent re-equipping of the armor plates she kept in her small pack a lot easier. "The lot of you, get out of here. Not you, kid."

Her words seemed to break the spell they were under, their awe and fear replaced with screams as they hurried away from the shoreline as fast as their legs could take them. As for the sheltered youth, clad in armor he did not deserve... well, showing off the jetpack and talking about his plans to have the whole thing remodeled were no longer concerns that entered his mind. He began to stammer and plead, to beg, but silence was his answer. Silence, and the unrelenting approach of that Y-shaped visor, ever closer as he stumbled back awkwardly - until the Mandalorian returned her revolver to its holster, yanked the helmet off his face, and drew her gauntlet-blade. In no time at all, it rested against his throat, as if daring him to speak again. To waste her time. To insult her.

"This belonged to one of my people. It is our birthright." Her voice was calm, perhaps almost soothing in its lilt, thanks to her nature as an Ersansyr. But it held no gentleness, and certainly no mercy. "You insult the memory of this sibling of mine who wore this armor before you, whoever they may have been, with your childish antics. So, I am going to give you one chance to remove it, put it on the ground, and walk away." She let her words hang in the air, allowing him to appreciate the full extent of the situation. "And if you don't, I will push this blade into your throat and watch your blood stain the sand of this beautiful beach."

Wielu
div-orange.png
Outfit: Factory Link | Wedding Ring
Weapons: Lightsaber
Tag: Jenn Kryze Jenn Kryze

An emergency call for help had drawn Valery's attention away from her voyage back home. Usually, trying to respond to every distress call that echoed through space wasn't something she could do. There were too many of them, and as much as she hated to think this way, she had bigger problems to worry about. The Alliance had declared war against the Mandalorians, and ever since that became public, she had felt on edge. Trouble was stirring down South, but the Force wasn't giving her the clarity she needed to decipher all the moving pieces.

But she could tell that something big was happening — it was a feeling she hadn't experienced since the peak of the Second great Hyperspace War against the Brotherhood of the Maw.

For now, Valery decided to focus on this one signal, because unlike others, the Force was guiding her to follow it. Something about it felt unique, and she was curious to figure out why. So, after her X-wing had made its way down to the surface, she located the source of the signal and quickly found out that a few young men had sent it. The reason — a Mandalorian who was coming for their friend somewhere along the beach.

The word Mandalorian alone was troubling, considering they were in Alliance Territory.

With great haste, Valery moved towards the building at the shore, and rather than announce herself by opening the door or forcing it open, she tapped into her skills as a former Jedi Shadow. Her entire body phased through the door, allowing her to almost appear like a ghost. She stepped through the hallway, and found them just in time. The woman, dressed in signature Mandalorian armor, held a blade against the young man's throat, and she could feel his fear.

"Please, put the weapon away," Valery urged the Mandalorian, but she hadn't failed to notice that this young man was wearing Beskar as well. It made it easy to understand why a blade was being held against his throat. "There's no reason to end this with bloodshed. He will give you back the armor, and you will leave." Her tone left no room for argument.

Eliz_div.png
Objective: Recover lost Beskar, Deal with the Jedi... somehow.

A few years back, she would have killed the young man. Punched that blade through his throat and looted him as he convulsed. Ruthless, perhaps, but then again, she was... lost. No purpose, no home, no clan. But she had found love, and through that love, Jenn had abandoned the zealotry of the Way. Sometimes, she could feel the fury of the past bubbling deep inside of her, this furious urge to put aside and pursue the values that once guided her. But, each and every time, the woman she had become triumphed, and the tides swallowed this impotent rage and scattered it across the vast ocean of her soul.

She had expected the brat's guards to arrive sooner or later - but the timing was all... wrong. The words spoken pulled at her, left her wondering why they upset her so. Bringing her head closer to the boy's, she practically pushed her helmet-clad face against his, letting him stare into the unflinching Y-shape of her visor... before retracting her blade, moving with all the speed she could muster. It had always been her ace in the hole, her greatest tool: she was nimble and fast, which certainly came in handy when the real heavy-hitters came onto the field. Drawing her revolver once more and training it on the source of that voice, she pulled her blaster with the other, flicking it over to stun and ridding herself of an unwanted distraction. The young man slumped down, and she was finally free to direct all of her attention towards the greater threat. Or rather, the actual threat.

But Jenn did not fire. The Mandalorian remained... still. Practically motionless. She was brave, not a little bold, and unafraid to fight against those stronger than her for a worthy cause. She knew a Jedi when she saw one. Hatred returned to her, coursing through her veins as she adjusted her aim. Letting go of her blaster, she kept the revolver trained on the woman before her, sucking in a lungful of air to quiet the storm within her. The fear.

A fight with the woman before her could only end one way. She knew this, deep in her bones, and it frightened her. Dying in battle was... a fate she had all but accepted a long time ago. But dying here, so far away from home, with so many things left unsaid? She would be leaving Sam all alone, again. Her beskar'gam would certainly be lost, and those that came before her dishonored. Friends left mourning, the Enclave deprived of another Kayatr'ade - but, perhaps more importantly, of another voice of restraint in a time where they dearly needed it.

What if she's saying the truth? What if she intends to let you do what you came here to do, leave without killing you or tossing you in a cell the second you are away from the kid?

"I never expected to meet the Sword of the Jedi anywhere but the battlefield. And that would be my last battle."

She kept the revolver trained on her. Even as she pushed the anger and fear aside, she could not deny the apprehension gripping her heart. It would be an inglorious end. A pointless end. But trusting a Jedi was... a bridge she was yet to cross. So, she remained rooted in place. Anxious and afraid. Waiting.

Unwilling to fire first.

She had to be better than this. Better than just a warrior.

Wielu
div-orange.png

"Trust me, I wasn't expecting to find a lone Mandalorian out here either," Valery said before her fiery gaze shifted down to the unconscious body of the young man on the ground. "Though I understand why." She had learned about the Mandalorian culture long before her first interactions with them, but especially after her time on Kestri, she understood them much better. To see this brat wearing the armor like a trophy was incredibly disrespectful to them, and unnecessary provocation to Valery. There was enough bitterness already.

Insulting the Mandalorians would only make it far more difficult to make peace. Because no matter what was happening next, Valery would always believe peace to be possible. They weren't Sith or some kind of death cult that would fight until the bitter end. The Mandalorians had their problems, and they were a warrior culture, but one at least a bit more open to reason.

Hopefully, it would help resolve things in the future.

"I can tell that you're anxious," Valery then continued with a calm voice. "You don't want to pull the trigger." She look at Jenn and kept her hands where the Mandalorian could see them, just so she knew a lightsaber hadn't been drawn yet. "As far as I'm concerned, you take the armor back and head back home before others show up to cause trouble. Just... don't harm the kid. He's an idiot, but he doesn't deserve to die over it."

Eliz_div.png
Objective: Recover lost Beskar, Deal with the Jedi... somehow.

Jenn... didn't even bother to spare the young man a glance. He wasn't worth her time - and the very dangerous woman in front of her was. This was hardly her first time facing someone far, far above her skills: Jenn had always been bold, if not a little foolish at times. She remembered walking into Netra'yaim, the fortress of Darth Metus... over a matter of honor. The Sith had shown gratitude for the return of the beskar that once belonged to his clan, and the two had spoken at length of tradition, legacy, and the future of their people.

Why should this Jedi be any different? She could cut her down just as easily, yet chose not to. The Galactic Alliance was at war with the Enclave, and she could do nothing but watch as the younger warriors of the Clans yearned for the immense glory that came with besting a Jedi in combat. They were foes, and with the death of the Warhound, peace seemed ever-distant. Everything she had once been screamed inside of her, howling in rage as she stayed her hand, keeping the weapon aimed right at the woman's... and the finger off the trigger.

It could be a lie. It could be nothing but a well-crafted scheme, a means to sow dissent within the ranks of the Enclave and sap their will to fight - by exploiting Jenn's reservations concerning the turn taken by the Mandalorian Enclave. The thought of her prudent wariness being used against the people she loved was almost enough for her anger to flare up again, and yet...

The Sword of the Jedi spoke calmly. It was almost soothing, really, to see such a deadly foe showing her nothing but goodwill. Jenn remained silent for a little while longer, drinking in the sight of the woman, eyes looking over to her exposed palms-

She lowered the revolver the second she saw the ring. The notion of making someone a widower had always bothered her - but doing it to someone who sought to be something more than merely an enemy was too cruel for her to consider. The weapon was returned to its holster, as if the grip might just sear her flesh through her glove.

For a moment, she merely kept her gaze on the Grandmaster... and, with a monumental effort on her part, she turned to the unconscious young woman, crouching down as she busied herself with the task of working off the straps and belts with ease. The process, after all, was familiar to her.

"You speak with conviction, and more importantly, with honor. Would that more Jedi could speak as you do, and more Vod find it in themselves to listen. Perhaps maybe this war could have been prevented. But now... now..."

She trailed off, seemingly lost in thought as she looked down at the helmet in her hands.

Snapping out of her reverie, she turned to face the Jedi once more, giving her but a slow nod of appreciation.

"I know who you are, Sword of the Jedi. It is only right that you know who I am. I am Jenn Kryze, Kayatr'ade of the Mandalorian Enclave. I have heard word of your great deeds as a peerless warrior, but you clearly are a gifted wordsmith as well. The Warhound... could have found no greater adversary to release her to the Manda."

Adversary. Not foe.

Wielu
div-orange.png

Valery didn't seem bothered by the weapon still aimed at her. She wasn't a fool who put all of her trust in strangers with weapons, but she did trust the Force and she felt no true hostile intent. No, Jenn was cautious and willing to defend herself in what was technically hostile territory now, but something told Valery that she didn't want unnecessary bloodshed here today. That gave her the trust she needed to not raise her own weapon, and it helped her stay perfectly calm.

Jenn then looked down, and almost in an instant, Valery felt the tension fading away.

As confident as she had been that Jenn wouldn't open fire, this sudden change in atmosphere did manage to take her by surprise. What had changed? It couldn't be that she only just now realized that Valery's weapons were still in her holsters, so what had she seen when her eyes dropped for a moment?

Glancing down, Valery caught the light reflecting off of her ring, and a gentle smile touched her lips.

"I feel the same way about the war," Valery then said as her fiery gaze traveled back up to meet Jenn's. "We were allies when we fought against the Brotherhood of the Maw, and I even helped protect Enclave planets against a plague that was spreading. I considered the Mandalorians my friends, and some of them were like family." One of which had to be mentioned, of course. She knew that word about Shai's death would spread fast within the Enclave territories. The woman had been one of their most respected warriors, and a true leader.

But to Valery, she was much more than that.

"She was like a sister to me. We've protected and helped raise each other's children, even," Valery said before she let out a sigh and looked at the unconscious person one more time. "But it's a pleasure to meet you, Jenn Kryze, and I'm glad that not all Mandalorians have lost faith in an existence without war."

enclavediv3.png

Objective: Recover lost Beskar, Speak Truly

Jenn went about her work, removing each individual part of armor covering the foolish young man's unconscious form, pausing to glance Valery's way when she spoke. The Y-shape of the visor, the slightly muffled sound of her voice... they were ever inexpressive, but she knew those attuned to the Force had ways to sense the currents going through the minds of those before them. A small relief for her, then: even after abandoning the Way, removing her helmet in the presence of another was a difficult thing to do.

Carefully taking a large piece of netting from her equipment, she laid it out flat on the ground, bringing one armor piece after the other onto it. "The death of the Warhound has shaken the rest of the old guard into action. They were hesitant to commit to the war, but now... now, they have lost a dear friend, an honored warrior, and a pillar of our people." Her tone was devoid of condemnation: she delivered her words manner-of-factly, before wrapping up the net and giving it a good shake. Satisfied when none of the pieces fell out, she dragged it on over to a nearby table... and sat onto a nearby chair, lifting her head to meet Valery's gaze once more.

"I'm sorry." This time, she was... distinctly less reserved. There was a softness to her voice as she rested an arm onto the table, letting a fingertip dance along the rim of a glass full of cerulean blue cocktail. Nothing held her here: the Mandalorian could depart with her prize easily, and part ways with the Jedi amicably. Instead, she allowed the stiffness to fade from her stance, the sheer emotional weight of it all bearing down on her at once. "I wish things were different. I truly do. That we could... mend the bridge between our people. That you never had to kill one so close to you. And that you and I could return to our respective families, rather than the frontlines."

The smith had always been a perceptive soul, and what she saw in Valery gave her a sense of wonder, awe, relief... and not a little bitterness. If the two of them met again on the battlefield, they would have no choice but to fight, and Jenn knew she would not emerge the victor. Equally, the notion of finding the woman among the dead was... disquieting. That ring spoke of people who would miss her.

"You are not my enemy", she spoke at last, her voice strained. "You are my adversary." She fell quiet at that, a weary sigh escaping her. She was tired. Oh-so very tired. The Enclave had no need for her doubts, not now, not when they needed strength. Besides... what use was she, if she refused to fight the Galactic Alliance, as Elise did?

Her hands slowly moved towards her helmet, and with a hiss of decompression, the redhead removed it and set it aside on the table, finally able to meet the Sword of the Jedi gaze to gaze. "When this war comes to an end, I know resentment will linger. I can fix the armor of my kin, but I cannot bring back those taken from them." Taking hold of the glass, she took but a single, tentative sip from it, before setting it down. Given her alcohol tolerance, anything more would make her inebriated. "... I would have liked to call you friend."

Regret, etched all over her features.

Wielu
div-orange.png

"I had a feeling it would," Valery said rather flatly, but there was a lot of emotion she was holding back there. In her battle with Shai, it was a matter of killing Shai or being killed, and both would have quite a lot of impact on the war to come. If she had died herself, the Jedi would have lost an important leader at the start of the war. If she won, she just offered the Mandalorians more fury to justify their path of conquest.

Ultimately, it was the best outcome, and the consequences were of little concern to her. She had lost a sister — that weighed far more heavily on her mind than how others, such as Vren or Kranak, felt about it.

"I'm sorry."

Valery blinked, clearly taken by surprise just a little. It had been a while since she had last talked to a Mandalorian who spoke with this kind of tenderness. Even before the declaration of war, the tension had been so high that it already felt like the two sides were at war. A conflict where people hated each other for who they were.

"I look at you the same way. Mandalorians have never really felt like the real enemy to me. Just now... there's no way I can step aside with what's happening." It wasn't the Jedi way, and Jenn likely understood that if she knew anything about the Jedi. Similarly, Valery knew exactly where this Mandalorian conquest was coming from too. She understood, but just didn't agree with any of it.

"When this war end, and I hope it'll be without the destruction of either of our people, I hope that I can call you a friend as well." She smiled a little warmer and leaned back against a closet in the room. It felt strange having a conversation like this, but it felt good at the same time.

It gave her hope that a more peaceful future was still possible.

enclavediv3.png

Objective: Speak truly

Jenn studied the woman's features, the discomfort she always felt when baring her own face to the world slowly ebbing away. It was only right, in order for her to speak to Valery as an equal, that she make an effort, benign as it may seem compared to the Grandmaster's own when she first entered and lifted her palms to assuage the Mandalorian's fear. Without her buy'ce, the smith was far more expressive, and one hardly needed the Force to see how she chose to remain quiet, to mull over her words and work through her feelings properly before speaking. Or how melancholy followed her like a ghost.

And yet, she refused to be paralyzed by it. To let herself drown in misery, in what-ifs, in the bleak future of an Alliance rent asunder or an Enclave finally crushed, her people scattered across the stars once more. More defiance than optimism.

The Mandalorian maintained eye contact with the Jedi as she calmly took her revolver from its holster, laying it out on the table next to her helmet. "I understand", spoke the warrior firmly, even as her eyes betrayed a profound sadness. Ignorance truly was bliss, after all. Hating Valery as a despicable coward using the Force as a crutch instead of a true warrior's spirit would have been so, so much easier. "Just as you understand I cannot step aside either. Not when my people need me."

Taking the exquisitely crafted weapon in hand, she held it out for the Jedi to take, grip pointing her way. All she would have to do... was step closer to the table and take it.

"I have carried this weapon ever since my Clan was brought low as a child. I hated your kind for many years, and perhaps I still resent the Jedi." Hardly the olive branch she wanted to put forward, but there was something to be said about the honesty in her words, how upfront Jenn could be. Besides... this was not an offer of peace. That was not hers to offer, and not Valery's either. But, given her choice of armament, one hardly needed to search through her feelings to know what this treasured slugthrower was used for.

After all, a blaster was a poor choice of weapon against a foe capable of deflecting its shots.

"I want you to have this. My Mockingbird. And when this war ends, you may return it to me. Should I perish... keep it. Let it remind you that - I never held any hate against you. That peace can one day return between your people and mine, and friendship between the Mando'ade and the Jetii, when forged honestly, is a noble thing."

Jenn graciously chose not to mention the alternative - if Valery perished, and she survived. The Sword of the Jedi had mentioned children when she spoke of Shai - hers, and the Warhound's. Even now, the Mandalorian sought to keep her gaze firmly locked on the Grandmaster's, rather than lingering on that ring around her finger, and all the implications behind it. Valery was married, and had children of her own. A hint of jealousy brushed against her thoughts, but it was quickly pushed aside. She could not resent another for obtaining that which she sought.

Wielu
div-orange.png

"I do understand," Valery said after taking a moment to study the woman's features as well. She was quite used to talking to faceless Mandalorians with their helmets on, but those who were willing to remove them in conversation, she tended to bond with far more easily. Shai had been one such Mandalorian, and even Kranak or Vren she had grown to respect a lot. But now, she wasn't quite sure how to feel about any of them anymore.

But she did know how to feel about Jenn.

The woman was far more open and honest than most people, and even showed vulnerability by expressing herself this way. It made it clear that she could have a lot more in common with Mandalorians than she thought ever since the war started. A close friend had told her that they were closer to the Sith than they liked to acknowledge. But... no, that wasn't quite right. Too many Mandalorians weren't fond of this conflict either.

"For me it was the opposite," Valery said as she stepped closer, took the offered weapon, and then looked straight up to meet Jenn's eyes. "I never hated your kind, and I wouldn't say that I do now, but too many innocents have lost their lives in these crusades." She knew that trying to argue the validity of them wasn't going to help — it was two vastly different cultures colliding, and she wanted to avoid that headache.

But Jenn seemed troubled about the idea of families being torn apart too, so perhaps she would understand.

Jenn then offered the weapon as a gift, and Valery found herself surprised once more. Though this time, she smiled warmly and looked down only to study the weapon for a moment longer. "You have my word that I will not turn it against your people. I'll treat it like a token, not a tool to take lives." She dipped her head and looked back up to meet the woman's gaze. There was more intensity in it this time, and Valery could appreciate that.

"Is there anything I can do for you before we part ways here?"

enclavediv3.png

Objective: Speak Truly

Jenn was often guarded when it came to strangers. No matter how abrasive some of her vod may be, they were all Mando'ade in the end - and that made socializing with them a lot easier. Theirs was an insular culture, and one of tight-knit bonds... a culture that had clashed with those wielders of the Force multiple times in the past, Jedi and Sith alike. But Valery was different. In spite of her natural mistrust of the Jetii, Jenn found her to be honest and true, patient and willing to show respect and goodwill. It was only right for her to respond in kind - or so she told herself. In truth, she had no obligation to strike up a conversation with her, to speak so earnestly of a desire for peace that would see her deemed a coward by some of her own people.

Exposing herself by speaking the truth of her feelings on the war was dangerous. No different to craning one's neck to the side and letting an opponent strike where the beskar could not save her. But the renowned Sword of the Jedi had no intent to capitalize on this moment of vulnerability, it seemed, an act that only further reinforced Jenn's belief that she was right to linger, to share in the presence of another for whom she felt such respect and consideration. No matter the fact that they might very well find themselves on opposite sides of a battlefield one day.

She knew that no good would come of debating the merit of the crusades with this woman, no matter how well the conversation was currently going. It was a clash of ideologies, a fierce warrior culture crashing head-first against a long tradition of noble peacekeepers. And yet, she found the words escaping her lips before she could decide to remain quiet: Valery made the flow of conversation so much more... natural than it usually was for her. The words flowed, driven by truth - and above all, confidence in her unlikely companion. "The old guard hesitated to strike out against those they called allies, and friends. But the younger generation has never known the horror of what we- what I suffered through before the Enclave was founded. They were raised in safety, and regaled with tales of our past glory. They want to fight for our future. And we do deserve a future, a chance at resurgence, so we never have to be outcasts scattered across the stars again. But their zeal, their hunger for battle, for glory... I know it all too well. And, unlike me? They don't understand the price of victory just yet. It tastes bitter."

Another weary sigh escaped her at that, the weight of her wisdom resting heavily upon her shoulders. Evidently, she saw so very much of herself in those young warriors, and it... frightened her. More than anything else, Jenn looked exhausted: this chance to open her heart and speak with such honesty to another brought great sadness with it as well. Suffering in dignified silence was always different than voicing her fears, her worries. But, tired as she looked, the Mandalorian gave Valery a smile of her own. It lacked in the same warmth, but there was no mistaking the softness behind the gesture - and it only grew more genuine as she heard the Jedi's promise. In so little time, Valery was shattering her expectations of what the Jedi were like.

She liked Valery's smile. It was kind, and gave her the same notion of being... so very real. Genuine and true. The galaxy could stand to benefit from more people like her, and that made the idea of the two of them being on opposite sides of a war all the more painful. Perhaps getting to know her adversary had been a mistake.

Why, then, did it feel so natural?

"There is", spoke the Mandalorian, an open palm turning towards another chair, motioning for her to sit - if she so chose to. She looked... oh-so thoughtful. "... what's it like? Marriage. Children."

A pause followed her words, and the smith's features suddenly became apologetic, lifting a palm in "surrender."

"I don't- I understand if you would rather not share something like this with your adversary. But I'm... curious. Maybe envious. I don't really know."

She gave a shrug at that, but pointedly broke eye contact. If anything, she looked afraid to make a fool of herself.

Wielu
div-orange.png

"Your people aren't the only ones whose younger generation sees things differently. With the Jedi it's not quite as extreme of a shift, but a lot of our current Jedi weren't there when we fought against the Maw. They don't know what it's like for people to lose their homes, or for families to be ripped apart." It was clear, judging by Valery's tone, that she very much did understand. Not just because she had seen it happen to others, but because it had happened to her as well. Her home on Empress Teta had been destroyed by the Maw, and for many years, she believed the Empire had killed her husband.

It was a kind of pain she didn't want the younger Jedi to go through, but some seemed too eager to prove themselves against the Mandalorians.

"It's why I recently brought as many Jedi as I could to Jedha, where the Maw's war against the GA really started taking off. Just to tell them about what happened, and warn them about what is coming." It wasn't going to change reality, she knew, but she hoped it'd at least make the younger generation cautious about jumping into battle.

She wanted the more experienced Jedi to lead the way, so the younger ones didn't have to.

Valery then noticed Jenn's own smile and felt more of a connection forming already. The tension from before was pretty much entirely gone, and she even gestured to a chair to sit down. Valery did, and expected another question about the Jedi or even about her take on the Mandalorians. But instead, she was pleasantly surprised by a more personal question — she loved talking about her family.

"I don't mind at all," she said with a warm smile. "It's... a huge responsibility, especially to have children. But I don't think anything in the Galaxy is more rewarding than starting a family and seeing your own kids growing up. They will be difficult and test your limits, but they will also show you unconditional love and warmth. Having a partner who stands with you and gives you that same affection you feel for them on top of it is... I don't even know how to put it to words."

"It gave me a lot of purpose in life, after I spent 30 years in a very traditional Temple where attachments were forbidden."

enclavediv3.png

Objective: Speak truly and try not to care.

Jenn rarely shared such an understanding with others - even less so one of her adversaries. But... Valery struck a chord within her, when she spoke of her attempts to guide others to the wisdom she possessed. To teach them cautiousness, to try and stop the cycle from repeating. "I don't quite have the sway to do the same", admitted the Mandalorian. "Maybe if Kranak or Vren took to it, they might've been able to... but I'm just a smith. I'm nobody important, unlike you. You are the Grandmaster of the Jedi Order - you can turn things around for your people. All I can do is... watch, and offer comfort to those grieving families who bring me the armor of the departed. It's pitifully little." There was no envy in her voice, not the slightest shard of resentment: she merely spoke as honestly as ever. But there was no denying the sense of helplessness she had about her when she spoke of the subject matter.

There was no point in going further about the grief she felt. She had fought Jedi and Sith alike in the past, and she had seen more than one inglorious end suffered at their hands. There was no greater horror to her than seeing her people, trained from childhood to be the greatest warriors in the galaxy... being lifted off the ground and choked to death, powerless to resist. The mightiest warriors in the galaxy reduced to most abject helplessness, the honor of a glorious end taken from them. That was why she felt such burning hatred for those foes using the Force: she had seen young warriors murdered without a chance to fight back, their tactics, might, and accuracy of little help against their deadly foe.

She knew that Valery must have visited such a fate upon her people before - or she inevitably would further throughout the war. And with a face to put on the nebulous foe that was the Jedi, she found it easier to look her hatred in the eye and deny it. If she was to hate the Jedi for their powers, then she would grow to hate their very nature, and that was a road she refused to embark on.

Never again. She refused to become a monster clad in beskar, no matter the rationale behind it.

And when the Sword of the Jedi sat down across from her, she cast the broken shards of her hate back into the depths of her consciousness. The furious crusader she had once been clawed and scratched, but she triumphed all the same, turning her back on what was left of her brutal days to face a brighter future. "Thank you", spoke the Mandalorian with a truly radiant smile, before folding her hands in front of her, listening most intently to Valery as she spoke. There was no denying her fascination as she leaned forward into her seat, practically drinking in her every word with rapt interest - and when she felt a spark of envy, the smith did her best to smother it.

"That... sounds heavenly."

Wielu
div-orange.png

"I understand, but there is always more than one way to help. It doesn't take years of war for them to realize how awful it is. Be there for them when they struggle, and guide them in the right direction. Hopefully, a direction that will lead to peace." It wasn't something she needed to do with the Jedi as much, considering none of them really wanted war. She just had to make sure that those who accepted it didn't push themselves too far. Even Jedi were prone to wanting to show off, or feeling a need to prove themselves.

There was nothing worth proving in war.

With that, though, Valery wasn't going to linger on the depressing topic much longer. They both knew they couldn't get around this war, and that it'd take time before peace returned to the Galaxy. What remained now was for them to play their parts, and help as many people as they could from being torn apart or absorbed into the conflict beyond salvation. Valery felt she had a good grip on that, and she could tell Jenn had the heart to do the same for her own people.

She could make a difference, as long as she gave it her all.

"There is no better feeling," Valery then said after covering what it was like to be a wife and mother. Not to make her jealous, but just to speak from the heart. "I can tell it's something you'd like for yourself, and I can promise you, as long as you keep putting yourself out there, you'll find that same joy too." She smiled warmly at the other woman, then remembered something. Something she carried with her.

"Would you maybe like to see a picture of the kids and the family?"

Last edited:

enclavediv3.png

Objective: Be human

Jenn listened to Valery's words as intently as ever, clearly enraptured by the Grandmaster's sheer presence of will. The way she spoke served as a reminder of why the Mandalorian had taken the decision to sit down at a nearby table rather than leaving with her prize: they were alike in their drive, in spite of the immense differences in beliefs between them. Closing her eyes, the Kayatr'ade turned her attention inward, struggling to bury the feelings of inadequacy that arose from their conversation. What sort of warrior was she, to agree with a Jedi on the importance of peace and the needless savagery of war? Was she a poor Mandalorian? Did her Clan look to her from the Manda with disgust for such weakness? Was it weakness? Dark thoughts assailing her, clawing away at her mind-

And what dragged her back to a measure of control was the thought of what lie ahead for her once peace was restored. The chance to be unburdened by her duty to her people, forge a far less complicated friendship with the Sword of the Jedi, perhaps even seek to learn more of the ways of her Order - and without the threat of the Mandalorian using such information against her, things would be far less tense.

But, mercifully, the topic shifted, and her eyes opened once more. And, as the sagacious woman easily noticed and pointed out the smith's desire for a family of her own, those freckled cheeks of hers were graced with a truly lovely shade of red. Opening her mouth to protest, it stood agape for a few seconds as she searched for the words to dispute that claim, sputtered- before closing her mouth and crossing her arms, averting her gaze. She was not one to lie, even at a time like this.

The question that followed, however, clearly worried her. She was already making a mistake here by befriending her adversary - befriending the Sword of the Jedi, whose hand would yet claim the lives of many of her people before the war could finally draw to a close. It would make things more difficult for the both of them, and she found it selfish of her to keep on pursuing such a friendship when she knew of the consequences when the two of them would inevitably find themselves on opposite sides of the conflict. Looking upon this woman's family... would complicate things even further. Seeing that ring was enough for her to let go of any and all intent of killing her - seeing her children, and how happy she was? It might just stay her hand in battle.

But she was oh-so curious. The Jedi was right: she longed to have this for herself. "I think I would like that, Valery."

Speaking the woman's name at last was a point of no return, and she knew it. Hard to be clinical if she was on a first name basis with her adversary, after all.

But Jenn could not bring herself to care - not enough to stop herself, to stand up and politely decline. For a brief, fleeting moment, she basked in the pleasant notion that someone trusted her enough for this, no matter their differences.

Wielu
div-orange.png

Valery noticed the touch of red on Jenn's cheeks, and just smiled at it. She wasn't going to pressure Jenn to talk about her personal desires in life, especially not when it came to a topic like this. Love or a desire to be loved ran deeper than anything, and as much trust as they had already built in this short conversation, she understood that the redhead wasn't quite ready to make herself that vulnerable in front of a stranger.

Valery wouldn't have either.

But Jenn was still quite open to seeing the pictures at least, and that brightened Valery's smile up even more. Without wasting a moment, she reached for her necklace and touched the side of the pendant. A projected activated, and the first picture that popped up was one of her and three little kids, "These are the triplets. An energetic bunch, but they're just the cutest," Valery said with a chuckle before she shifted through more, showing off pictures of her oldest daughter Vera, as well as her husband and even Aris, her oldest son who was technically a clone of Kahlil.

"It's quite a happy family, and I love them very much."

enclavediv3.png

Objective: ... past the point of being detached.

That Valery chose not to make a comment on the Mandalorian's flushing was... immensely appreciated, and it showed. Jenn was not as well-equipped as most people were to handle social interactions, and the topic was ostensibly sensitive and important to her. Valery was more than a respected adversary - but some bridges were harder to cross than others, and this... was her most closely guarded one. For now, she could only close her eyes, bringing a finger over to the side of her neck, smoothing over her gills. They were barely perceptible to most, but once noticed, one could easily find them again with but a quick glance. Repeating the process over on the other side, the Ersansyr let out a sigh of contentment, eyes fluttering open to find a smiling Valery before her.

And then, the Mandalorian's mouth dropped agape, her eyes wide and filled with wonder. There was... an almost innocent beauty to Jenn's wonder at the sight, a moment of pure and genuine awe. Leaning forward into her seat and resting her cheek against her hand, the smith's lips were soon tugged into a truly radiant smile at the sight of the sleeping triplets and their mother. They all looked so peaceful, so happy... and, as the sight was replaced by pictures of their older siblings, as well as Valery's own husband, she realized just how idyllic the Grandmaster's home life must be. When her gaze flicked back to the Jedi, her features finally betrayed more than the softness she had shown before, but warmth as well.

"I am honored that you would share this with me. You... all seem very happy together." An approving nod from the Clanless warrior followed her words, even as she calmly smothered the embers of envy behind the sheer magnitude of her awe and wonder. Jenn refused to let her own selfishness mar this moment. "And I am glad to see it so. Love... is truly the most beautiful thing in this vast galaxy of ours. I would tell you to treasure it, but I am sure you already do."

Wielu
div-orange.png

"We're very happy," Valery said while she glanced at Jenn, whose response made Valery feel even better about showing off her family. She knew she could easily gush over them for hours, but always worried that people didn't really like hearing her talk too much about how good she had it in her personal life. Not because they were jealous, necessarily, but because it was likely annoying to hear someone go on a rant about it.

The warmth in Jenn's smile relieved her of all those worries.

"I certainly treasure it as well, and I do wish that you find similar happiness in life," Valery said before she blinked. "Not... that I'm trying to say that you're unhappy as is..."

Great work, Val.

"I just... I can tell that you'd love to one day have a family of your own too. So wherever you go, and whether or not we send up seeing each other again, I hope your dreams come true."

enclavediv3.png

Objective: Depart with the recovered beskar'gam

More than anything else, Jenn knew how love could drive one to the greatest of heights - how its purest of flames warmed the heart and drove the mightiest of warriors past their breaking point. And how it could bring one to the depths of depravity, sacrificing everything in the name of preserving that love, losing it in the process, turning a pure flame into a raging inferno. Love was a volatile thing, but no less admirable to the fierce warrior: and, deep in her heart, she knew that Valery deserved to live on, to see her children grow, and live out the rest of her days in peace. Free to bask in the warm glow of her family's love for her, and her love for them.

But the Galaxy was cold, and merciless. Peace was nothing more than the interlude, the reprieve for another war: her people understood this, and perhaps the Jedi did as well. Why, then, did she feel such pain at the thought of her adversary, the Grandmaster of the New Jedi Order, being felled by the hand of a fellow Mandalorian? The Sword of the Jedi could not emerge this war without blood on her hands- Shai Krayt's blood already stained it, and many more of her people would doubtlessly follow before the conflict could draw to a close. And yet, armed with this knowledge as she was, the thought of her noble adversary being taken from the joyous life she led left her horrified.

Valery's words mercifully tugged her attention elsewhere- to a different source of worry for her. She loved Sam dearly, and truly sought to entwine her destiny with the mechanic's, and still... she was yet to meet her child, to see if Ara would accept her, or if Sam even wanted to build a family together. The warmth of her smile was gone, replaced with worry, melancholy, and doubts. The Jedi's words were kind, and well-meaning. A reflection of her soul and its warmth. Taking her helmet in her hands, the Mandalorian stood from her seat, looking down at the visor, lost in thought... before flitting her gaze back to Valery's own, and giving her a tired, if gentle smile. "And I hope you never wake from your own, Valery", spoke the Mandalorian tenderly - before returning the helmet to its rightful place, a hiss of pressurization accompanying the motion as she locked it in place.

Throwing the net over her shoulder, the pieces of armor clattering against one another as she did so, the smith stepped on out and through the door, beckoning the Jedi to follow her onto the beach itself with a gesture of her hand. And Jenn... kept on walking into the surf, rather than stopping at the shore. Deeper and deeper did the warrior go, turning around to face her newfound friend as the water reached her shoulders.

"I wish you good fortune in the battles yet to come, Valery Noble."

And with a splash, she disappeared below the waves...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom