Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Rusty's Personal BFG (Gertrude)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
[member="Rusty"]

Rusty said:
Alright, there seems to be some confusion due to the terminology, which is my fault. This isn't a hybrid weapon system in that the projectile is a combination of slug and energy. This is a hybrid in that the firing mechanism utilizes blaster technology to ignite a high explosive that couldn't ordinarily be ignited using a percussion cap.
Alrighty, that explains that. You're using plasma to fire the weapon. Fair enough, you'd need the gas for that, so no worries on those parts.

Rusty said:
This accounts for the high muzzle velocity, something that rail guns would be able to match with easy. If you read the written description of the Verpine shattergun in the Dark Nest trilogy or Republic Commando series, they're getting comparable results from tiny little projectiles. If F=ma here like it does in the real world, that points to a small projectile going insanely fast. Other EMLA-type weapons, such as Jaina's QuietSnipe in Invincible, wreak similar havoc. The precedent is there. The wookiee page is, as is often the case, incomplete.
I've read the Republic Commando series and have seen the Verpine rifle. Also, wook pages are always taken with a grain of salt much like Wikipedia. Bringing about real world applications of rail gun technology, most military railguns are mounted on naval vessels as the power requirements and bulk of the weapon facilitate that. I understand we're using star wars technology and things are variable and I also understand verpine weapons. Accelerating the projectile is not the point. The point is the velocity. You're listing numbers and when someone tells you no and lists reasons, you've argued the point. Politely, which is appreciated, but the point stands. You can drop the velocity to a reasonable ~2,000m/s OR you can leave it vague without numbers. I'm cool with either. Sometimes not listing hard numbers is better and allows more wiggle room for both the submitter and the judge.

Rusty said:
Also, inertial dampers allow starships to go from a relative standstill to faster than the speed of light in less than a second without turning the crew to paste. Scaling them down from protecting a ship a thousands times the weight of Gertrude means that, in a technical sense, there doesn't need to be any recoil at all.
There will always be recoil. Inertial stabilizers can only take so much. All those times a ship is hit in combat and the deck shakes or panels come lose? It's overriding the inertial stabilizer. Sudden, sharp movements like that will always do so before the device can compensate. Personally, I've never heard of a ship going 0 to lightspeed successfully. Most ships require a certain amount of speed and velocity before going to hyperspace. However, we're not judging a ship, this is a gun. Per play balance, realism, and common sense there will be recoil. Even with 90% recoil reduction, if it's going over 2,000m/s you're shattering a shoulder. If you're a shard, then you've successfully wrecked your mechanical shoulder in the field. 2,000m/s with the recoil reduction basically means you're firing this projectile twice as fast as a conventional 20mm cannon shot with perhaps the recoil of a 20mm anti-tank rifle or .50 cal rifle.

Rusty said:
As far as the rounds per minute, 200 is closer to 3 rounds a second. I'll change it to semi if you'd like, but Rusty is a Shard, so it's not like his trigger finger is going to get tired. Hell, with a trigger setup like something on a competition paintball gun, it could be technically semiauto and still smoke that 200 rpm mark. Not that I plan to.
I rechecked my math on this one and you are correct. I was woken up suddenly by the electrician and I guess I misread the 3.33 as 8.33, so that's my bad. That said, 'rocking' the trigger to try and shoot 200 rounds a minute is going to get you reported. I'm being nice by letting you keep the Acme Ammo Box because the ammo count in this is rather trivial compared to the other issues in the submission. Push the envelope and someone will report your toy which means someone else is going to hit it with another hammer.

Rusty said:
It's the same situation with the noise. I don't mind dropping the 200 dB number off, but it makes no practical difference for the guy behind the trigger.
Cool. Go ahead and yank it off, then. Really, really loud reports for this thing should be sufficient enough of a description than having to list decibels that could feasibly kill someone.

Rusty said:
The battle box is easy. It's basically a portable power generator with an ammo can strapped to it. No feed chute necessary, as we're using linked ammo. The power generator powers the inertial dampers and kicks off the firing process. I can elaborate on that further in the product description once we get all the necessary changes finalized.
Alright, just list it in the description so that way folks don't assume it's a backpack mounted thing and is instead carried around to be set down. Also, even linked ammo can jam, sometimes spectacularly, so you'll want to include the chances of such happening.

Rusty

Purveyor of Fine Weaponry
I've read the Republic Commando series and have seen the Verpine rifle. Also, wook pages are always taken with a grain of salt much like Wikipedia. Bringing about real world applications of rail gun technology, most military railguns are mounted on naval vessels as the power requirements and bulk of the weapon facilitate that. I understand we're using star wars technology and things are variable and I also understand verpine weapons. Accelerating the projectile is not the point. The point is the velocity. You're listing numbers and when someone tells you no and lists reasons, you've argued the point. Politely, which is appreciated, but the point stands. You can drop the velocity to a reasonable ~2,000m/s OR you can leave it vague without numbers. I'm cool with either. Sometimes not listing hard numbers is better and allows more wiggle room for both the submitter and the judge.
I can live with 2000 m/s, I guess. Not that it really makes much of a difference when you get right down to it, not within the effective range of the weapon. Quick question: is debate on these matters not permitted? I was under the impression it was sort of a back and forth.

There will always be recoil. Inertial stabilizers can only take so much. All those times a ship is hit in combat and the deck shakes or panels come lose? It's overriding the inertial stabilizer. Sudden, sharp movements like that will always do so before the device can compensate. Personally, I've never heard of a ship going 0 to lightspeed successfully. Most ships require a certain amount of speed and velocity before going to hyperspace. However, we're not judging a ship, this is a gun. Per play balance, realism, and common sense there will be recoil. Even with 90% recoil reduction, if it's going over 2,000m/s you're shattering a shoulder. If you're a shard, then you've successfully wrecked your mechanical shoulder in the field. 2,000m/s with the recoil reduction basically means you're firing this projectile twice as fast as a conventional 20mm cannon shot with perhaps the recoil of a 20mm anti-tank rifle or .50 cal rifle.
Pretty much anything is a standstill when compared to lightspeed, but since the muzzle velocity has been dropped already, the point is moot.

I rechecked my math on this one and you are correct. I was woken up suddenly by the electrician and I guess I misread the 3.33 as 8.33, so that's my bad. That said, 'rocking' the trigger to try and shoot 200 rounds a minute is going to get you reported. I'm being nice by letting you keep the Acme Ammo Box because the ammo count in this is rather trivial compared to the other issues in the submission. Push the envelope and someone will report your toy which means someone else is going to hit it with another hammer.
I doubt that'll be a problem. This thing is getting very limited RP usage anyway. It's a tech demonstrator that occasionally comes in handy, not a first choice weapon for a Dominion.

If that's everything, I'll go ahead and make the changes.

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
[member="Rusty"]

Rusty said:
Quick question: is debate on these matters not permitted? I was under the impression it was sort of a back and forth.
It is permitted, yes. It's more the tone and reasoning behind the debating, really. Think of it... Hmm.... Lemme put it in a sort of analogy you would probably understand better lol You appear to be active duty military from your references and such. Think of it like trying to get an idea you want to do past your XO. You approach it logically and politely and such. If they say no, alter this or that, a polite correction or question is totally fine. If they push the no or changes they want, that's about it. If they see your points as valid and such, they'll more than likely adjust themselves to that. Just keep in mind that the CO (Factory Admins) can step in and drop the hammer, or not, at any time lol The difference between the XO analogy and the Factory is the second chance option. You can second chance things, but it's a total toss up on who gets it. Judges are people, too. We judge all things differently and with different methodology. We also make mistakes. If you feel we've made one, point it out. Most of the time if that's the case we go "Oh... oops... yeah, you're right, my bad" like I did earlier with the RoF lol The key here is a polite back and forth, question and counterpoint. When you just keep telling them "no, I want my way" you're probably going to see the judge pull out the ballpeen. If in doubt on a submission or whatnot or have a question on a sub you want to put out but aren't sure on, most of us are totally cool with looking it over or giving advice. Just keep in mind that those judges will often not be the ones judging said submission.

Rusty said:
If that's everything, I'll go ahead and make the changes.
Alrighty, just tag me when you're ready and you should be good to go. I haven't checked the original sub as I'm rushing through my last minute work prep before bed, but if it's ready to go, tag me anyways and I'll take a look over it during some downtime in the morning :p

Rusty

mage Source:
isd_v4_vanguard_by_shadowcrusader155-d5nq47h.png

This is close, though I'm not a huge fan of the P-90 style grip. Those things suck if you want any sort of precision aiming. Gives you a good idea of the size and approximate shape we're working with.

Intent: A personal weapon for the character Rusty

Development Thread: N/A Want to see if this will be approved before I try to use it outside of a closed story

Manufacturer: Custom

Model: HAW (Hybrid Automatic Weapon)

Affiliation: N/A

Modularity: No

Production: Unique

Material: The body of the weapon is milled from a billet of high strength durasteel. The barrel is a tungsten/nickle durasteel alloy designed for high heat resistance, and is further fitted with a cryogenic cooling jacket it aid in heat dispersion. The rifling consists of 8 grooves, with one turn in 275mm.

Classification: Hybrid of blaster and slugthrower

Size: Man Portable
Length: 190 cm

Weight: 32 kg

Ammunition Type: Requires blaster gas and the projectiles. Power and ammunition provided by a "battle box" that can be worn as a pack

Ammunition Capacity: Battle box holds 500 rounds of ammunition, as well as the power for that many shots. A 500 shot gas cartridge is stored internally. The battle box is essentially an ammo can strapped to a power generator. The ammo feeds out of the can with via belt, when can cause jams if the links get kinked or you get a stick or something stuck in it. The power generator is pretty basic fare. It supplies power to both the blaster portion of the firing mechanism and the cooling jacket, as well as any other accessories like powered optics. It's not an ideal solution. The box has to be placed beside the weapon in order to feed properly, and a stray shot will turn the thing into a pretty decent representation of a 200 kilo bomb. All that will be left of Rusty for the funeral are fond memories.

Effective Range: Depends on the round, but the maximum effective range is 2500 meters. Anything after that is requires more prayer than skill to hit the target

Rate of Fire: Semi automatic. NOTE: do not visit paintball store for parts.

Special Features: The hybridization of blaster and slugthrower allows the projectile to reach velocities normally reserved for spacecraft. A Verpine shattergun will still smoke it in terms of muzzle velocity, but the action is considerable more robust, and can fire a wide variety of rounds, including armor piercing incendiary, discarding sabot, canister, and nonlethal low density (NLD) plastic frangible rounds. I'm also working on an iridium-based projectile designed to counter lightsabers, though that will have its own submission.

Description: Gertrude is, in my mind, the bastard love child of a crew served machine gun and the venerable E-web. When the trigger is squeezed, energy is pumped into the gas chamber, exciting it and producing the beginnings of a blaster bolt. Unlike a normal blaster, where the galven circuitry would shape it into a coherent bolt, the energy produced is instead shunted into the firing chamber. The projectile utilizes a caseless propellant charge that is ignited by the bolt, which also adds its own energy to the forward momentum of the projectile. The blaster gas chamber sits directly under the chamber of the barrel, and the energy is funneled upwards. The projectile portion of the weapon is gas operated and utilizes a disintegrating link ammo belt.

Gertrude is not a subtle weapon. The muzzle flash is visible for miles around, and the report reaches well over the comfort level for most species. In a confined space, such as a ship, it's basically like firing off 3 flashbang grenades a second, only with the added bonus of a projectile that comes screaming out of the barrel at 2000 meters per second. The recoil is tremendous. Though internal inertial dampers negate about 90% of it, a considerable amount of energy is transferred to the shooter anyway. Use is not recommended for organic beings without full facial protection, something along the lines of a Mandalorian's helmet. However, the sheer shock value makes up for the relatively slow rate of fire.

Primary Source: N/A

[member="Popo"]

I think that covers everything. And thanks for the heads up.

[member="Rusty"] [member="Popo"] If you can please edit the original submission post since that's what would be moved into the approved section of the factory. Also when things are reported, (Since I know Rusty is new and the words reported were thrown around) from the factory, its removed from the approved section and looked over once again. If deemed over powered its required to be stripped of a lot of its issues or "fun bits" or its out right denied and sent to the archives. Usually then you'd be able to second chance it, but since you've already done so the submission would be finished - its why the judges are very thorough with their judgement. :D

Rusty

Alrighty. Original submission has been edited.

Again, thanks for the tip. I get the feeling you guys will probably be seeing a lot more of me if my business takes off, so the sooner I can figure out how not to piss you all off, the better. [member="Spencer Jacobs"]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom