Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rogue One Review Thread (SPOILERS)

It's awesome. And the fact that everyone dies makes it even better. That's not cos I didn't like the characters. I loved them, but it makes for a realistic war movie and one must note the name, Star Wars. War means war no matter where it is. Jar Binks and the like crap from the prequels were too kid focussed which I didn't like, so Rogue One is the best. Well not better then Empire Strikes Back, but certainly up there and better than the prequels and Episode VII.

The movie's ending was dramatic. Shows the real brutality of Vader and further how the are Rebels not only paid the ultimate sacrifice to get the Dearh Star plans, but how the Tantive Corvette barely escaped by the skin of its teeth. What is further great to know that that Corvetter is captured soon after in A New Hope and again the Death Star plans are on the run again with R2D2.

Rogue One was nothing short than brilliant. It very much is all the events that happen just before A New Hope which in itself is a great movie being the original Star Wars. Rogue One was blended in perfectly. A job well done to all the producers. Oh it's even more fascinating when you look at the fact that A New Hope was made in 1977 and Rogue One in 2016. Almost 40 years apart from what could easily be considered the prequel to A New Hope.

I have to echo the brilliant that is going around.
While the start was a little jumpy it really became a great paced and invigorating story that not only drew you into the characters but left you hit by the individual sacrifices that the team moved through to get those plans.

The blended story into A New Hope didn't feel forced, from the original Red Team and Gold Leader to the face of Tarkin and the final shot of Leia it all connected it in a respectful way that made me constantly feel I was watching star wars.

It answered one question I didn't know I even had. Why was there no fleet to defend Yavin, well because they were still fleeing from Vader and Scarif. Watching Vader at that ending, in the corridor brutally forcing his way through the rebels was a clear homage to every star wars fan who has delved into the extended canon. All this time we had been hinted towards what Vader was like through comics, books and other various media but finally we saw it...It was...wordless.

The nods to the canon was amazing as well. We had the introduction of the Hammerhead Cruiser into an actual movie, we had the why Luke becomes Red Five, and then there was the "Commander Syndulla report to the command room" line in the hanger followed by the ghosts appearance itself.

Easy on par with Empire...5 stars and amazing beyond expectation. Disney done right with this one.

Don't mind me, off to watch A New Hope now.

4/5 from me.

A few wobbly bits here and there but overall fantastic, especially the Imperials. Tarkin and Vader were perfect and I can safely add Krennic to my list of great Star Wars villains. Always nice to see another non-Sith/Force user antagonist done well.
Unfortunately I wasn't as taken with all the Rebel characters. Jyn was good though I'm mixed on Jones's performance, I don't think it was her fault but the direction she was given. And while I liked K-2SO and Cassian a lot, the rest didn't leave much impact on me.

I did like the morality being a bit more greyed. Empire will obviously remain the bad guys, as they should, but showing good people working for them and that some of the Empire's enemies aren't particularly nice themselves was a good move.

Anyone notice Vader was on Mustafar? Nice touch.

I cried the most blissful tears watching Vader rip mercilessly through those Rebels. In wordless awe, I cried those manly tears.

The feeling of watching the Death Star go to work at it's weakest setting and *still* basically terraforming a planet...

Flycams, beautiful dogfighting, and X-wings galore.

X-wiiiiiiiings.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

*Alky is broken, and does not want to be fixed*

RIP Carlyle Rausgeber

"It's all been bloody marvellous..."
9/10 Would see again.

Rogue One for me was a film full of surprises. I'll have to say, I did hope that most of the main cast would die, but more so believed that Disney would opt for a happy ending. I was saddened by some of the characters deaths, particularly those of Bohdi and K2-S0, which is a good thing. I felt that their deaths showed that war has sacrifices, and not everyone gets out alive.

I appreciated the greying of the Rebel's morality. It was something I was surprised, and once again happy to see. The brutality of Gurrera's guerrillas and the conniving of Cassian shown in his first scene were things I adored about the film.

The amount of Tarkin was also nice to see. I imagined he'd have been a cameo appearance along the likes of RD, C3PO and Bail Organa, but his addition was something I found nice and touching. Whoever did the voice should be commended, their imperialistic sneer was something to be beheld.

What I did find disappointing a little was Krennic. I had no qualms with the performance at all, and it was quite good. But I felt he wasn't quite villainous enough. I get the dude's kind of a prick, but I felt I didn't get enough time with him to really make him the big bad. It's probably just me, and I hope we see more of these Non-Force using a-holes in the Star Wars universe.

Obligatory Note on Darth Vader: Great to see my boy DV back in action. It's nice to see the guy's got a bachelor pad, and his reveal was great. Also, him choking Krennic and that pun one of his best lines ever. Secondary to that, the last scene with him was fantastic. It was good to see Vader slaughtering no good rebel scum.

Probably my favourite scene of the film, was when Jyn and Cassian fade into the explosion. For some reason, that shot resonated with me. I don't know. Either way, I'm satisfied to see my hype wasn't disappointed.

Zeradias Mant

Democracy Dies in Darkness
The opening scenes jumped around a bit much, and I'm not a huge fan of all the new characters' deaths at the end, but it really was a fantastic move. It definitely blew The Force Awakens out of the water. One of my biggest gripes in TFA was the forced comic relief. There was definitely some obvious humor in Rogue One, but it was organic, it worked. It didn't detract from the sentiment there was some dark things going on in the galaxy.

The use of familiar characters was also fantastic for me. Bail Organa, Moff Tarkin, and of course C-3P0 and R2-D2. I love how Tarkin's tact was played out as well as his cunning. The ending scene with Darth Vader though was nothing short of badass. That is what Darth Vader is supposed to be like. His armor and person is supposed to instill fear into the hearts of his enemies, and that scene executed that perfectly.

Definitely a fan - it gets a solid 8/10 from me, and even then, I wonder if I'm being too stingy.

My full review is here: http://starwarsrp.net/blog/605/entry-2087-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-december/

But great points guys.

I personally think, after my 3rd viewing, the CGI Tarkin and Leia was stunning. Tarkin especially - what they did with him as a main character here deserves praise. And Leia...jesus, was that a deleted scene from 1977? She looked perfect.

The final minute of this film gives us everything we wanted to encapsulate the power and fear used by Darth Vader and the might of the Rebel's undying spirit. Hopeful and terrifying at the same time.

Also, interesting how much from the trailers didn't make it in. Personally I was a little gutted for a few:

"The power we are dealing with here is immeasurable" from Krennic - wanted to hear that!

"I rebel" from Jyn was absent.

"Alone from the age of 15...." speech from Mon Mothma.

"If you continue to fight...." speech from Saw.

"Good. Good!" / "I've been recruiting for the Rebellion for a long time" from Jyn and Cassian.

"They destroyed our homes!" from Baze

"I will not kill you." "Thanks!" - K2 and Jyn

"He means well..." scenes from Andor on the ship

Jyn, Andor and K2 running through the Citadel with the plans

The whole segment of Jyn and Andor running out INTO the AT-ACTs with the data plan was gone; like an entire sequence on the ground re-shot to the top of the citadel? What happened!

No Jyn v TIE fighter stand-off at the top of the citadel.

The shot of Vader standing before the red read-out was gone.

The U-Wing flying over the Jedi ruins on Jedha.

The holo-shot of the Death Star with the Rebel conference around it.

Captive alliance pilots frog-marched away.

Quite a few then really, but nothing detracted from the story so they must have been worth edits/re-shoots.

Stunning stuff.

Enjoyed this more than TFA. It seemed like a movie that, at face value, was still something kids could enjoy but also presented a lot of themes and nuance that an adult could appreciate.

This movie showed that Star Wars can be the next Marvel Cinematic Universe - with frequent stand-alone movies in between the main storyline's.

Grand Admiral, First Order Central Command
I echo the 4/5. It wasn't a perfect movie for my taste, the beginning moved too quickly (but still better pacing than TFA) and I would have loved another 20 minutes of fleshing out the scenes, characters, and overall nature of the 'mission' early on. But it was definitely a very good looking movie.

And it worked, so well. Again, speaking as a prequel hater, this movie worked. The cameo's didn't feel forced (ok except maybe Red Leader) and the way it tied in with Ep 4 was basically perfect. And the space battle, it surprised me that there was one so much and it made my damn day.

Given the lack of Ewoks and Lucasian dumbkarkery, this may rank up right underneath ANH and ESB.

Wow.

I liked the Force Awakens quite a lot. I thought the characters there were a lot of fun, the mystery and the new setting were all good.
And yet I only once had a moment where I felt truly affected, and that was when Rey called the lightsabre to her. Even Han's death was a shock, but it didn't make me swell.

Now for Rogue One. I'll echo the thoughts above. The first scenes were choppy, and the second act if not dragged then didn't light me on fire. It was fine, and I agree with [member="Connor Harrison"] that one can see the reshoots impact as a lot was cut out or changed.

Going into the third act I was along for the ride, enjoying but not loving it.

But Scarif. Oh my gods. The whole third act was incredible and even moving. The final scenes were just amazing.

The movie looked astonishing. I mean, it's like they got a time machine, went to 1977, took Carrie Fisher and Peter Cushing, and filmed them. I'm in awe of that, and all the visuals in this film.

So, despite a somewhat steady middle and scattered opening, the ending made me a believer. It was dark (or as much as could be in Star Wars), beautiful and visually amazing. I'm going to go see it again Christmas Eve.

[member="Samka Derith"]
I believe that was Vjun from Legends canon where Vader had his fortress. It's not stated.

#Vadergasm

Also in mention of the final scenes the realisation that Jyn and Cassian's final moments would be unaware that their actions would propel the finding of Skywalker, the destruction of the Death Star and the eventual even if a few years later fall of the Empire itself makes the beach so much more moving...

I reckon she's the most selfless hero the saga has had so far. Her family did SO much for the greater good of the galaxy...it's amazing how they worked it all in.

And even little touches like the 1977 image of the Death Star plans being used in the uplink, so that even ties in. So many little touches to bridge the eras. I thought those were wonderful - and how about the re-edited footage of Red Leader and Gold Leader in the Scarif battle!? Awesome work.

[member="Valiens Nantaris"] it's not stated, no, but the doors and background architecture looked a lot like Mustafar and I don't recall seeing much lava on Vjun.

wait, wiki backs me up http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mustafar

I agree with most of the sentiments above though. The way it tied into a New Hope was fantastic stuff. Well except Leia and Tantive IV actually being at the final battle. Leia sure is ballsy to claim its just a diplomatic ship right to Vader's face when he saw it on Scarif.

I had problems with it, for a film it wasn't perfect. I come out happy, I enjoyed it, I just had a few problems with it.

It rushed into the "pretty graphics" way too quickly, I had no time to connect with any of the characters.
Galen was just meh, he died too quickly. Also, cheap way of explaining the 2m hole :)
It should of ended when the explosion engulphed the citidel, it didn't need angry James Earl Jones nor the Leia reveal, we're not stupid.

Other than that, I enjoyed it.

"The Force is with me and i'm one with the Force."​
OHMYGOD!!! I just saw Rogue One no less than an hour ago and oh my god!! I am getting goose bumps honestly. After reading Catalyst and watching this. I felt such an emotional attachment to the characters,and such a deep understanding of the story that it kept me really engaged to the story. Especially Galen,Lyra,and Jyn Erso. Not to mention Orson Krennic as well. I felt really saddened to see them go because of that connection although i feel really glad to go through the ride. It was a really dark star wars film and it in my opinion is better than the force awakens.

Seeing Vader don't get me started on him!! I really enjoyed we saw Mustafar again with Vader's Castle to serve as a reminder of where he came from,and a source of strength in the dark side. It was awesome to see him there and his conversation with Krennic! It was even more awesome to see Vader deal with the rebels I was freaking out and nearly went off my seat. The battles were epic and amazing as well i especially enjoyed the action and visuals.

All and all it was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom