Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game Retcon?

Have you ever done a retcon (deletion or remake) for your character?

• Yes

Votes: 20 76.9%
  • No

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters

Zak Dymo

Z
Zak has been retconned a few times now.

The original incarnation became a teen disenfranchised with the Jedi Order and got into a band (R.I.P. Underground Revival). But that story idea kind of fizzled out and a retcon brought him back to the Jedi as a young adult. He got married, had kids, had a padawan, and became the Jedi Watchman of Vaynai. But, I found that cumbersome since now story ideas needed to take into account Zak's obligations to Vaynai and also the entourage he had around him. And, beyond that, adult Zak kind of felt like Generic Jedi Knight #497. So, I just stopped writing him and didn't revisit the idea for a few years afterward.

The second Zak was supposed to be a clone, but was contrasted from the original by being a Jedi Healer instead of a Jedi Guardian archetype. He was fun, but I never found that "place" where he belonged (ORC? CIS? SJO? Bueller?) and stopped writing him again.

The current Zak is entirely the fault of Srina Talon Srina Talon

When we migrated to the current board software, I lost the account that had been my Codex Judge account (farewell, Zardu Hasselfrau.... we barely knew you) and I wound up with Zak Dymo for my Codex account. Then started writing him again when I stepped down from Codex and just kind of dropped him in a thread and went with it.

Oh yeah, definitely.

The most dramatic retcons of a character I've done (so far) have been with Nimdok. As some may remember, he was originally created as a fake identity/alter ego of another character named Arimanes Bosch. Arimanes would pretend to be Nimdok in order to get into places/do things he normally couldn't do, using the credentials and reputation of a well-respected historian and archaeologist. I enjoyed writing this character so much, however, that he wound up becoming the "real" identity of the character. Sort of like how Batman is, from a psychological perspective, the real Bruce Wayne.

But doing this created a lot of problems, so further retcons were necessary. Arimanes was originally a geneticist who had gone too far, broken ethical guidelines, and basically created the villain of his own story via his experiments. For a while I used a clunky excuse involving him having multiple personalities in order to explain how he could be a historian, a professor, an archaeologist, and a former geneticist all in one. I finally retconned his geneticist past, and while it is explained in his bio that Nimdok has "two minds in one body", over time I've downplayed that element to the point where it almost doesn't matter anymore. Nimdok is who he wants to be.

Brandyn started on another board in 2012. Became very well established as a Knight, but my enthusiasm for the environment waned to a point of no return.

He was rebooted to such an extent that I created his father as my main character here in 2015, and have been on and off RPing and establishing Brandyns backstory to make what is planned more meaningful.

Ala was rebooted twice, only worked once the other time was when I first joined Chaos in 2013. Her reboot didn't work...but she has done OK as a continuation.

Be careful what you wish for.
Brandyn started on another board in 2012. Became very well established as a Knight, but my enthusiasm for the environment waned to a point of no return.

He was rebooted to such an extent that I created his father as my main character here in 2015, and have been on and off RPing and establishing Brandyns backstory to make what is planned more meaningful.

Ala was rebooted twice, only worked once the other time was when I first joined Chaos in 2013. Her reboot didn't work...but she has done OK as a continuation.
munches on popcorn

Barbie Barnabas

Pirate Queen from the Wild of Space
Yes, but not this one as she was just recently created.
But most all of my alts were created elsewhere in a timeline closer to the original trilogy. I've revamped their purpose and timelines for here as I had developed some unique personalities and wished to continue writing them.

I've never really retconed a character of mine on here. However, I have dramatically altered them from their how they used to be at time while keeping what they've been through and all that still pretty much cannon for them. Probs my biggest one was with STaCLO STaCLO since you can explore some unique story telling stuff with droids do to the nature of AI and Robotics as far as their identities not being as rooted.

Rub-a-dub-dub. Throw characters in the retcon tub.

I've made alterations to numerous characters, including Santeria, through the years. And they are all probably going to end up going through another revision.

521191818910760980.png

So, I have done some retcons. Mostly with Yuroic since I changed him from a full neutral character into more a Light Side/leaning more Grey Jedi over time. I also changed his backstory and who is parents were as I was writing him. He mostly changed from when I created him to when I came back to Chaos after a break and revamped him. I liked where he ended up and it was nice.

I don't know if this is technically a retcon or just character development/understanding my character better, but Kat was initially bisexual and that quickly changed to her just being gay. I also did edit her family backstory a little with her father being dead and her family being a more middle-class background instead of the original working class one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom