Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restricted Missions removal

Netherworld

We did away with dev threads a couple months ago, and the Factory's been running smoother than ever. Balance nips any attempts at OP submissions in the bud, and it's worked really well so far.

So I propose we try and do away with RM missions as well. Not Restricted materials as a whole – just the 'dev by any other name' we currently have going in the form of restricted missions.

We cap submissions that use Restricted materials (or materials that are RM derivatives), at max. Unique production. No dev workarounds, no missions to write. All RM are free game at Unique in the Factory, but naturally still governed by the ultimate rule of balance.

The only exception to the Unique limitation would remain the T6 specialization for Companies and Workshops, which can be reasoned to have the resources / expertise to use a single RM per writer to manufacture stuff at a max. of Semi-unique.

Potential issues / concerns to deal with (point out more and I'll add them here so we can discuss them):
  1. Unique spamming (@Cira)
    • Solution A: Limit by model. "You already submitted stealth ship X with similar/same specs here. It's unique. No copies."

I have had this exact same thought. However there are items I would always want to have Restricted Missions (Nexus and Stadium come to mind).

This is my counter proposal:
1) we add more materials to the list that can be submitted at Unique.
2) we have a competition with members to design more Restricted Mission that would be interesting/fun
3) We make a pool of mission that several materials could be linked to so writers have mote choice.

E.g. nexus: do the nexus mission
Beskar: mine some beskar from x, y, z OR pick one of the missions from the list below.

I'm in favour of missions that are fun and encourage teamwork within factions/groups to carry out.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
The 'dev thread by any other name' point resonates with me. I'm in favor of [member="Netherworld"]'s proposal with a couple of exceptions - Force nexus stuff would be the biggest one, and alchemy does need limits these days. The rest of it? Yeah, no thread/objective but capped at unique makes tons of sense to me as something worth trying.

I disagree with more missions in the list as being "fun". In order to perceive it as being such, one would have to be more interested in writing a thread with one other person that fulfills an objective that they may not have wanted to do - I, for one, just like the large reaction of the board you saw in the recent factory/codex announcement, am against being told what to write and how to do it. Development threads don't afford us anything more, it doesn't give us something in return for our work except the ability to then use the material in question in the materials list. For those of us who could reason its use in 3.0 for development threads because it relaxed the analyzing that submissions went through, this no longer applies.

If you want to keep a list of restricted materials that cannot be given freely at any production, make a specific list of that now and we can broach that subject. [member="Netherworld"] isn't alone in the idea that restricted materials have overstayed their welcome.

At the very least, add everything except the couple items you are uncomfortable with to the "free to use at unique production" list and then make them do whatever mission stuff you want to go further than that, perhaps changing it from a maximum of limited production to semi-unique.

If there's a concern over how lax we are getting with the approvals of certain types of submissions, like the ludicrous discussion we had in discord earlier about "how would we deal with alchemized turrets and pilot seats" please discuss these things with us so that we can approach this problem and find a solution that isn't punishing literally every single member on the site for the issues that two members are causing.

Netherworld

Ok so the compromise so far:
  • Drop RM missions and allow all except certain materials to be used freely at Unique
  • The proposed exceptions seem to be Alchemy, Wintrium, Voidstone, Stygium
We don't really have Codex purview here but by the conversation with [member="Mahet"] earlier and given her reasoning, I think Force Nexus limitations ought to stay. They might get reworked in some way if we go through with this RM removal but that's her thing.

As for the Alchemy, I'm likewise in favor of keeping some form of limitation in place. If we're going to move forward and allow a lot more RMs at Unique, I don't see any issues with doing the same with alchemy stuff as well. However, as we've seen a recent influx of alchemy that could be said to 'break the spirit of Star Wars', that's something that'll need a closer look. I agree with [member="Irina Volkov"] that the 'problematic' alchemy has been almost exclusively caused by a very small sample of the membership, and it seems unfair to punish the whole board for their ludicrous attempts.

That's what denials are for.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
Restricting Wintrium to just Unique with no thread required would do a wonderful job of curtailing the abuse that put it on the list in the first place. It's not a special thing.

I would be okay with disallowing RMs from being used at anything higher than Unique, or Semi-Unique for T6 Companies/Workshops with a select few requiring more work.

Force Nexuses being one for sure. Perhaps these should be treated a bit more seriously, like a building rather than miniaturized trinket / item like people have been doing for some time. These would require a group of people to participate in, in order to build.

I think we're moving towards a consensus here. Or at least consensus on the approach we want to work on.

In the interests of working together on this should we make a Google sheet of the restricted materials and everyone can place their comments on which they feel should be free at Unique?

As i mentioned in the Factory Chat, I am amiable to some of these changes, but I still have reservations on a few items.

Force nexus mission will not change. That was at a request from Mahet.

In a public Skirmish, successfully infiltrate and escape from a military base submitted to the Codex by another writer.First draft --- Any other mission suggestions?

Restricted & Banned Items
Taken from the main Restricted & Banned Items Article
This list is subject to change without notice. Changes will not affect past submissions.

Restricted Items

A writer must first complete the objective attached to the restricted item in a convincing manner that adds to the quality of the role-play thread. Submissions using Restricted Items will be reviewed by a Role-play Judge and may be declined depending on the quality and effort of the submitter.

1. Objectives which require you to visit a planet located within the Influence Cloud of a Major Faction may only be completed in Non-Private threads.

2. Standard objective completion may grant between Unique and a max Limited production depending on the submission. Each completed objective usually only counts for one submission.

3. Any submission which uses a Factory Submitted base material based on a Restricted Material (e.g., A Phrik Armourweave submission) will a have a maximum production value of Semi-Unique.

4. If a restricted material is traded between characters, please link to purchase/trade thread of the restricted item along with the seller's original resource gathering thread.

5. Only in rare instances are two restricted materials allowed per submission, but it's all dependent on intent. New alloys created by blending two or more Restricted Materials are not allowed.

Submissions in the Technology Forum with a restricted material from the list below will not require a completed ‘restricted material’ objective thread as long as the item that is being submitted is labeled as Unique. For more extensive productions and all other Factory Forums, please see the Restricted Materials Mission Board.

Restricted Materials Mission Board
Please select a mission thread below best suited for your needs for larger productions and all other Factory forums.

• Mining: With one or more other writers, perform a public skirmish, mining operation, a raid, excavation, or steal to obtain the Restricted Materials from any of the following planets.
Beskar: Mandalore, Concordia, Echo'lya
Cortosis: Apatroshttp://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Apatros, Obredaan, Katanos VII, Duro, Bal’demnic, Gallos, Conglomerate Prime, Bespin, Umphathia, Avis
Phrik: Gromas 16, Alderaan, Arkania, Rendili, Bastion, Wayland, Roche Asteroids, Seltos, Demonsgate,Val'hala, Sekalus
Winterium: Klatooinehttp://starwarsrp.net/topic/98323-klatooine/
Isotope 5: Makeb

• With three or more other characters your character is familiar with, complete a story about how you met in the distant past.

• With two or more characters your character is not familiar with, become trapped in hostile territory and escape.

• With two or more writers, complete a role-play in reverse, starting with its end and ending with it’s beginning.

• With two or more other writers, complete a Bounty thread from one of the posted Bounties on the Bounty Board.

• With two or more other writers, successfully raid a Tier 5+ company in a public skirmish.

• Complete a role-play from an NPC’s perspective who is accompanying your character.

• Write a story about your character enduring personal sacrifice to save/help a stranger.

• In a public Skirmish, successfully infiltrate and escape from a military base submitted to the Codex by another writer.

Fixed Restricted Materials Missions
Submissions submitted with the following listed Restricted Materials have specific RM Mission Parameters that must be met in all cases. Please review the Restricted Material below for the mission guidelines. These are not included as free of RM missions at Unique.

• Alchemized Artifacts/Items [including methods of Force Imbuement, Alkahest, Jal Shey, etc] that provide lightsaber resistance and/or Major Force benefits

Embark on a quest to research, locate and recover or create the alchemized, Force Imbued, Force artifact/item in question. There is no set post limit, though you should tell a complete story.

[*]
Artificial Intelligence (Non-Droid)
  • Objective: A thesis must be written, either in a blog or over the course of a role-play thread, consisting of the concepts of your Artificial Intelligence’s design. Scientific journal excerpts from your character’s time spent designing the Artificial Intelligence must be included. Minimum 1000 words total. --OR--Persuade a Player Character (not of your creation) to have their consciousness uploaded to a crystal matrix in order to serve as your AI's central core.

[*]
Force Nexus [Locations, Planets, Items]

• Embark on a quest to locate / create and research the Nexus in question. The larger and more powerful the Nexus, the more unique writers should be involved in the process. There is no set post limit, though you should tell a complete story.

[*]
Impervium :

• In collaboration with another writer, write a story in an invasion/Rebellion that results in the complete loss of the ship you are PC Captaining - OR - In a duel with another writer, suffer a devastating defeat in an Invasion/Rebellion thread.

[*]
Orbalisk
  • ​​Objective: Closed to Lightsiders. Darkside only, must be a force user. Travel to Dxon and attempt to find the parasite and construct the armor (or what you're trying to do), must have every post of the dev thread be a haiku - 15-20 posts without repeating a line more than 3 times --OR-- (Darksiders only) In a public thread, visit or explore three approved Codex Locations created by Darkside-oriented PCs, ending with orbalisks attaching themselves onto your body as they feed off your Force Sensitivity.

[*]
Stygium Crystal

[*]
Void Stone:

• Objective: With two or more characters that your character does not already know, get trapped in Otherspace by a hyperdrive accident and escape - OR - Perform a mining operation, a raid, an excavation, or steal to obtain small amounts of Void Stone from any of the following planets: Kayri, Elrood, or Caeliar. As with all restricted materials, this objective applies to the use of derivative materials (such as voidsteel or Velokite). Note that derivative materials often have specific affiliations. (Either options are only suitable for Semi-Unique production or less)

Banned Items

i. Banned Items are not permitted to be used in canon role-play threads on Star Wars RP: Chaos without the explicit permission of the SWRP Staff Team.
ii. Banned Items are not permitted to be used in submissions within the Factory without the explicit permission of the SWRP Staff Team.
iii. Banned Items are only permitted to be used in Non-Canon role-play threads or Non-Canon Campaign threads.
  • Celestial Technology
  • Extragalactic Subjects (canon species/technology/planets/etc exempt.)
  • Gree Technology (Not including Nav Computers: they provide no information on the technology of the Gree)
  • Hypergate
  • Neutron Bomb
  • Nanotechnology: All nanotechnology is banned.[ x ]
  • Plagiarism: Any obvious use of material from outside the Star Wars universe, including but not limited to: Gundam Wing, Halo, Marvel, DC Universe, Dragonball Z, Final Fantasy, Star Trek, etc. Attempted plagiarism could result in disciplinary action as it directly contradicts Star Wars RP: Chaos’s General Rules.
  • Quantum-crystalline Armor
  • Rakata Technology
  • Stargate ( See: Hypergate )
  • Superweapons

Testing table bb code to fix it.

Edit - bah
BeskarIsotope 5 Personal Cloaking Device
CortosisLaminaniumPyronium
Echani graphiteMandalorian Iron (( See: Beskar ))Songsteel
Hijarna stoneNeuraniamUltrachrome
IonitePhrikWintrium

Users who are viewing this thread