Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestion Remove Reacts

Status
Not open for further replies.
My one issue with this is that reacts do serve a purpose - they stand in as proof that your post has been read by the people you are roleplaying with. But removing them wouldn't be all that significant.

Matt the Radar Tech

ꜰɪxɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴏsᴇ ʀᴀᴅᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ sᴛᴜꜰꜰ
In the past, before reacts, people used to mention it in chat.

Thread viewing counts also indicate/indicated.

Also, generally a reply in the thread from those involved in the RP was a good sign.

I feel like they're a fun little thing, and as long as obviously aggressive and weird reacts are not an option, I don't really see why they should be removed. This was sparked entirely by the tiny minority of people who used cringe reacts to be passive-aggressive, rather than funny with their friends.

Feels weird to let them have a bigger impact on things.

Matt the Radar Tech

I feel like they're a fun little thing, and as long as obviously aggressive and weird reacts are not an option, I don't really see why they should be removed. This was sparked entirely by the tiny minority of people who used cringe reacts to be passive-aggressive, rather than funny with their friends.

I agree.

I also don't think the issue will stop by removing singular reacts.

If the minority want to keep doing it, and they will, it's just a matter of time before other reacts are chosen to be the passive-aggressive one/s. And then the cycle begins again, and again, and again.

Valiens seems to have definitely answered already, but what the hell.

Here's a middle-of-the-road idea, though I'm the first to admit I don't know if its possible with xenforo.

Keep reacts, but make them private rather than publicly visible. That way people who like the dopamine inject from having their post reacted to can keep that, but it loses the passive-aggressive ability if the only person who knows that they gave a react is the person who clicked the like/love/sadge/umwhat, etc button.

Honestly, who other than the OP needs to know they got 24 love reacts?

Matt the Radar Tech

Valiens seems to have definitely answered already, but what the hell.

Here's a middle-of-the-road idea, though I'm the first to admit I don't know if its possible with xenforo.

Keep reacts, but make them private rather than publicly visible. That way people who like the dopamine inject from having their post reacted to can keep that, but it loses the passive-aggressive ability if the only person who knows that they gave a react is the person who clicked the like/love/sadge/umwhat, etc button.

Honestly, who other than the OP needs to know they got 24 love reacts?
An opt-out toggle was suggested in discord, also.

Depends on what Tefka sees as viable from the site side of things, I guess.

But, it is what it is.

Love and Oh Yeah reacts sort of exist as a 'this has been read' notification. I'm guilty of forgetting to react most of the time, though I think that's a worthwhile enough reason to keep them around. The reacts are all positive, bar Uh What and Wow since I'm sure some negative spin can be placed on them. Though nothing as overt as cringe. I don't see much of a reason to get rid of them, they're mostly harmless and if someone ever tries to make you feel bad about your fanfiction writing with a snarky react, they're a sad person that doesn't deserve your attention in the first place.

Matt the Radar Tech

Love and Oh Yeah reacts sort of exist as a 'this has been read' notification. I'm guilty of forgetting to react most of the time, though I think that's a worthwhile enough reason to keep them around. The reacts are all positive, bar Uh What and Wow since I'm sure some negative spin can be placed on them. Though nothing as overt as cringe. I don't see much of a reason to get rid of them, they're mostly harmless and if someone ever tries to make you feel bad about your fanfiction writing with a snarky react, they're a sad person that doesn't deserve your attention in the first place.
Those are exactly the next few emoji in mind, when I suggest the cycle begins again.

Since the likelihood of removing reacts isn't likely, I'll only be using the 'like' as a means of read indication going forward. No context or agenda, just me opting out to the extent I can. I also accept any reacts in response to my posts, as similarly indicative.

Anyway, that's all.

Caedyn Arenais

C
I'm a pro-react kinda guy, but then I also use them as they're intended. If I like a post, I like it. If I love it, I love it. Those are the majority of reacts I use, otherwise the odd/rare wow post.

I don't really see the big deal behind having these removed, but then I imagine that comes down to the intention behind their use which varies from individual. If no one reacts to my post, I still assume it's been read. A react isn't indicative, to me, of a post being read or otherwise.

I like letting Starlin Rand Starlin Rand know when he made my Padawan cry with his sadge posts

Hehe.

Alright, I changed my mind. I once watched somebody use the Laugh react passive-aggressively against all the members of a minor faction I’m part of. Every single post we made in an Open thread got a Laugh react from them regardless of the tone or content of the post. This person wasn't even directly interacting with us; they did it just to troll. But once it became apparent that we were being trolled, we just ignored them.

I like reactions, they’re a fun social interaction. Most of the time I like the feedback and will even use it to gauge my own writing. Which made more of an impact, the joke about gifts or the bittersweet reunion between two characters? I got a Laugh react, so it was probably the joke. So, cool. I’m glad we get to keep reacts. Even if some people will find ways to use it to be a dick.

There's a pretty big difference between sarcastic reactions that are unavoidable even if you remove reactions/likes (likes were used just as "sarcastically" as you're theorizing "any" reacts could have the potential to be used) and reactions that only have a negative context associated with them - like the cringe react. There is no need to turn this into some slippery slope logical fallacy.

Matt the Radar Tech

There's a pretty big difference between sarcastic reactions that are unavoidable even if you remove reactions/likes (likes were used just as "sarcastically" as you're theorizing "any" reacts could have the potential to be used) and reactions that only have a negative context associated with them - like the cringe react. There is no need to turn this into some slippery slope logical fallacy.
You do realize that there's an opinion (not small) that the 'like' is passive-aggressive, yes?

That is literally the react baseline, if all others were removed.

So yeah.

Logical fallacy?

My opinion is that any react, no matter which, can be - and likely will be - used to cause some level of negative connotation. The passive-aggressive like opinion supports this. So that was the basis for the suggestion, since it seems likely to be a persistent cause of contention.

But, as others have said, that validation from peers via reacts makes this an unpopular opinion.

Last edited:
You do realize that there's an opinion (not small) that the 'like' is passive-aggressive, yes?

That is literally the react baseline, if all others were removed.

So yeah.

Logical fallacy?

My opinion is that any react, no matter which, can be - and likely will be - used to cause some level of negative connotation. The passive-aggressive like opinion supports this. So that was the basis for the suggestion, since it seems likely to be a persistent cause of contention.

But, as others have said, that validation from peers via reacts makes this an unpopular opinion.
I wasn't trying to disagree with the notion that a reaction can (and at some point will) be used in a passive-aggressive manner, just that a decent percentage of the time the likelihood that the intention of the non-overtly negative reacts are not going to be for that end. Yes, I am aware that people have this idea that if someone "just likes" a post that they either do not like or that it's a passive-aggressive react hiding behind plausible deniability - I just disagree with the idea that this is actually the case (that people are actually actively doing this with the like react as their primary reason in using that react specifically).

I may have mistaken the perspective you were coming at this from, but I still think it's much more of an argument regarding a slippery slope than it is a real issue that happens on a consistent basis. There are actually people that use the like react for its intended purpose, or as a placeholder reaction while on mobile, or as a way to say they've "seen" the post but either haven't read it or are going to change the react to something more fitting their genuine reaction to the contents of the post as a later point in time - this is the vast majority of cases.

That being said, removing something that is not implicitly meant to denote a negative response to something isn't the way you handle people who weaponize something like the "like" button - you handle it by dealing with the person in question. If that person is someone you're in conflict with in some way that is causing you to believe that they're using the like button to passive-aggressively react to your post then there should be some chain of events leading up to that point which you can point towards to either block the person (uncertain if that hides reacts from that person or if they can react to posts if the person has blocked them, though) or, if more severe than that, report them with the report button that is on their account page or at the bottom of every post they make on the forum.

I can empathize with not wanting someone to hypothetically do something that is simultaneously so minor but also so noticeable, and therefor demoralizing after a point, but there are avenues to take to ensure that it doesn't continue once it happens - avenues that typically disincentive that behavior if they are taken because it means removal from the site if they decide to continue regardless, but only if people actually make use of the tools they have available to them. We have site rules explicitly against harassment, we shouldn't be removing features to cater to the would-be harassers rather than rooting them out of our community unless those features only serve to provide a negative connotation (i.e; cringe).

We could just try asking if someone meant it passive aggressive. They will either apologize and clear the matter up, or confirm it and then the community as a whole can tell them to fluff off until they can be a nice person.

Or I guess they could ignore the question and then we can all angry react them :p

90% of the problems with reacts are whisked out of thin air and fabricated without the intention of being malicious. ie, you're seeing things that don't exist, because that one time you saw someone like me in a position like this go "yeah, its been used incorrectly, we're addressing it." Now all your insecurities just got validated. If it happened once, it can happen again.

Now the innocent 90%, the overwhelming majority, OVERWHELMING, is subject to scrutiny.

Wait, was that guy being passive aggressive?

Do people really love my posts?

Wait am I actually being harassed right now?

Ban the behavior, not the system. Ban the behavior, not the system. Ban the behavior, not the system. Ban the behavior, not the system. The reacts aren't the problem, it's your mental perception you should spend more time focusing on. Ban the behavior, not the system. The reacts aren't the problem, it's your mental perception you should spend more time focusing on. Ban the behavior, not the system. The reacts aren't the problem, it's your mental perception you should spend more time focusing on.Ban DO I NEED VALIDATION ON THIS FORUM the behavior, not the system. The reacts aren't the problem, it's your mental perception you should spend more time focusing on.Ban the behavior, not the system. The reacts aren't the problem, it's your mental perception WHY SHOULD WE BAN AN ENTIRE SYSTEM SO THAT I CAN FEEL BETTER you should spend more time focusing on.Ban the behavior, not the system. The reacts aren't the problem, it's your mental perception you should spend more time focusing on. The reacts aren't the problem, it's your mental perception you should spend more time focusing on.Ban the behavior, not the system. The DO THEY ACTUALLY HATE ME reacts aren't the problem, it's your mental perception you should spend more time focusing on.The reacts aren't the problem, it's your mental perception you should spend more time focusing on.Ban the behavior, not the system. The reacts aren't the problem, it's your mental perception you should spend more time focusing on.The reacts aren't the problem, it's your mental perception you should spend more time focusing on.Ban the behavior, not the system. The reacts aren't the problem, it's your mental perception you should spend more time focusing on.The reacts aren't the problem, it's your mental perception you should spend more time focusing on.Ban the behavior, not the system. The reacts aren't the problem, it's your mental perception you should spend more time focusing on.

.....I'M SORRY, DAVE.

I'M AFRAID I CAN'T DO THAT.

1677468121839.png

I gotta agree with Valery here. 90% of my use of reacts so far have been using them to mess with her and vice versa.

Though Matt the Radar Tech Matt the Radar Tech I can kinda get what you're saying, that y'know if you can 'love' react to a post, and just like it? Does that mean you like it less? Why are you love reacting smeeglemoo's posts and not mine? Why don't you go marry smeeglemoo?

But, anxious thoughts like that aren't based on anything rational and will always manifest wherever they can. Getting rid of emojis won't change anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom