Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Regular Map Wipe Poll

Should we have map wipes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, it'd better allow for and visually represent a Rebellion, Resistance or Separatist storyline, or any variation therein. Could even be an outbreak of plague, etc.

The sky's the limit.

However, on the flipside there, what would be the X factor here? Would every faction's present influence cloud be tallied up, and the mean average between them used to determine how many of their chosen hexes get the proverbial axe?

Chancellor Emerita / Advisor of State
So what instead about factions with more than X hexes losing say 25% of their hexes, but they can choose which ones?

If paired with a story that might be a more acceptable of not wiping the map but freeing up some space?

Discuss.

While this might seem a bit less fair to bigger factions, it is also sort of the middle-way for the map wipe disagreement. It gives the bigger factions more opportunities and motivation to engage in more RP without diminishing their years of work, saves the progress of the smaller factions who either currently exist or may spring up before the potential wipe, and provides an opportunity for a narrative function. I personally like the idea because it is considerate of all opinions.

One of my favorite quotes: "The [rules are] supposed to be fair, not impersonal. In fact, I would argue that the [rules are] always personal; it has to see the human side, too. Or else it's meaningless."

Ulkahall Svaraghaun

U
However, on the flipside there, what would be the X factor here? Would every faction's present influence cloud be tallied up, and the mean average between them used to determine how many of their chosen hexes get the proverbial axe?
I mean, for the most part that sounds fair. Breaks things down to a more even playing ground and doesn’t cripple the new boys on the block. If a faction doesn’t survive the loss of hexes it’s just because of previous inactivity and lack of drive anywho

Ulkahall Svaraghaun

U
Again, perfect compromise to me. If that was one of the options on the poll, or if the poll was more centered to that being the idea when we talked of map wipes, I’d change my vote

I'd exclude it from factions with say less than 10 hexes. That's a good amount to have kept secure, and you couldn't go below 10 with this.

This is just all hypothetical mind.

I agree with Ulkahall Svaraghaun, this is the ideal compromise that I would vote for. As an aside, I admit it might be odd to set out to reclaim planets that may have just been recently gained by a faction or that a faction has held for a long time. Perhaps an accompanying flashpoint-type-deal would establish special conditions for regaining old territory. That, however, is not a condition I would have for liking this idea, just a caveat.

Melia Siari

M
I mean I guess that works for me, too. How often is this? Is it just during flashpoints, is it every flashpoint?

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Misses the point for me. Taking 50 bucks from the Wall Street guy, 10 bucks from the Plumber, and nothing from the Homeless Guy doesn't change the game. It just makes the Wall Street guy snicker, the Plumber frown, and the Homeless Guy is still homeless. The inequality gets louder, not better. The potential for each actor stays the same. Which again, misses the point.

WIP I'm musing at this point and just didn't want to be a downer. Sorry. :p

Anyway. I'm thinking of something along the lines of a Flashpoint Month whereby Major Factions can forgo 3 of their Dominions in place of participating in a Galactic Event in which everybody is invited to participate and if their faction contributes X posts and X people, they get 3 Hexes all at once, which do not touch any other Faction's Cloud space. (The idea is to breed inter-faction cooperation, centrify the action, and knock out all your Doms at once. Saving time for Invasions or Rebellions too.)

Again. WIP. I'll get back to you when I have something positive. Sry.

EDIT: Withdrawn as of post #73

Last edited:

Ulkahall Svaraghaun

U
Misses the point for me. Taking 50 bucks from the Wall Street guy, 10 bucks from the Plumber, and nothing from the Homeless Guy doesn't change the game. It just makes the Wall Street guy snicker, the Plumber frown, and the Homeless Guy is still homeless. The inequality gets louder, not better. The potential for each actor stays the same. Which again, misses the point.
I'm not trying to sound mean, but I honestly don't get what you're getting at here. Who's the homeless guy? Who the hell is Wall Street? If you're implying that there's some sort of tiers when it comes to factions, I kinda have to say you're wrong. Every faction on Chaos, as long as you attract members, has the capability of doing the same things as any other. This analogy doesn't really work here, at all.

Reactions: Jsc

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Ulkahall Svaraghaun - I'm comparing the potential to make money among popular professions to the potential to gather participation among Major Factions. Big Factions have people, make posts, get success easier. Like a dude who works on Wall Street. Smaller Factions have less people, make less posts less frequently, and gain success slower. Like a dude who works pipes for a living. New Factions don't have Hexs they afford to can lose and are being protected via Valiens idea, kinda like a Homeless Guy with no money at all that you can take. And. Each of these actors, or types of factions, suffers from a diversity of potential. Potential which is not being influenced in the direction of my personal liking. As, what the big guys lose, they can recoup, without change. And what the little guys lose, they too can recoup, slower, without change. And what the new guys do-not lose, simply affords them no benefit except to take from others. Which is like redistributing wealth, throwing that wealth down the toilet, and saying the world is a better place because of it.

And I'm not down with that, just yet. But. We'll see. It's early. I could have a few drinks and be totally down with lighting it all on fire later. Solid 50/50. We'll see. :p :D

Ulkahall Svaraghaun - I'm comparing the potential to make money among popular professions to the potential to gather participation among Major Factions. Big Factions have people, make posts, get success easier. Like a dude who works on Wall Street. Smaller Factions have less people, make less posts less frequently, and gain success slower. Like a dude who works pipes for a living. New Factions don't have Hexs they afford to can lose and are being protected via Valiens idea, kinda like a Homeless Guy with no money at all that you can take. And. Each of these actors, or types of factions, suffers from a diversity of potential. Potential which is not being influenced in the direction of my personal liking. As, what the big guys lose, they can recoup, without change. And what the little guys lose, they too can recoup, slower, without change. And what the new guys do-not lose, simply affords them no benefit except to take from others. Which is like redistributing wealth, throwing that wealth down the toilet, and saying the world is a better place because of it.

And I'm not down with that, just yet. But. We'll see. It's early. I could have a few drinks and be totally down with lighting it all on fire later. Solid 50/50. We'll see. :p :D

I see what you're saying, though I don't necessarily agree, only because I know how the ebbs and flows of sites work. The GA was a relatively small faction (albeit one that sprang from two others) that has seen a huge boom in activity. Meanwhile, I think some of the larger factions have tended to be slower in activity, if only because several of them have been bogged down with invasions for the last few months.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Ulkahall Svaraghaun and Adhira Chandra Adhira Chandra - Actually. You two are right. If cutting the grass is what everybody is happy with and compromising towards, I shouldn't voice a distraction or be so reductive. It's inconsiderate at best. And, if I believe that it misses the point then I better damn well have a better argument to contribute than "I think XYZ". My bad.

Comments withdrawn. Carry on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom