Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rate 'The Last Jedi'

How Do You Rate 'The Last Jedi'

• Total voters

Jsc

Disney's Princess
5/5

Destroyed everything sacred I ever loved and protected about the franchise. Which, yes. Means now the next generation is free to do whatever they want with it. A glorious rebirth capstoned by comedy and the purely absurd.

May the future of our new heroes be bright and may all we old fans and veterans finally STFU. Amen.

Taa Nul

CEO of Kamigen Incorporated
5/5 from me. Thought the movie was brilliant. It certainly blew away my expectations. Puppet Yoda making a return was the thing that made me shed geeky tears of joy the most. <3

Huxy

[ Message Received ]
The Last Jedi.

I admit, I went in having high expectations and many theories circling in my head. I hoped certain things would happen, I hoped that Luke would go out in a blaze of glory, I hoped we grew to cherish the new characters. What I got, was something far diffrent than I ever would've imagined. Some things happened that I didn't want to happen. Certain sub-plots from TFA were left unasnwered, like the knights of ren, leaving me dissapointed and annoyed. Other parts left me gasp in wonder and amazement. I walked out of the Last Jedi not excited, not overjoyed, not disappointed...I walked out conflicted.

Never has a SW movies left me feeling so conflicted before, needing before to the story like it were cut short from my eyes. I was upset yet overjoyed with what the LJ had been, had become. I decided to mull it over for a few days, as in a week, and I finally came to a decision. It was a great SW movie. It pushed the boundaries of what we call 'Star Wars,' even breaking them at points to shed new light and toy with out expectations beyond recognition. It was a breath of fresh air for the Saga, yet one of conflict and division. Even after mulling it over for a week, I still feel conflicted deep down with what had happened. I hadn't wanted Snoke to die, I hadn't wanted Rey's parents to be nobodies. Yet, we don't get what we want...which was something I was glad for with this movie. It took our theories, compiled over two years, and threw them out the window. Now I want things I never knew I wanted, Rey and Kylo together, the rebuilding of the Resistance, a new Jedi Order, new characters and untold destines of said characters.

I give The Last Jedi a 4/5. It angered me at points, making me question certain scenes and what if they had been different. Yet it made me fall in love with characters introduced in TFA, characters which I previously disliked. I feel that if they do another trilogy however, they should stick with the same director throughout. No fault to Rian Johnson, but now I'm curious as to what the view and story of Lucas' 'last jedi' would've been.

Jor Kvall

Ain't found a way to kill me yet
Where to begin about what I've just seen.

Luke was my favorite part about this movie. To summarize: the Last Jedi is an ocean of pointless characters and unnecessary subplots. I would have been happy if the movie was only about Luke, Rey and Kylo. Mark Hamill did a great job reprising his role, but Luke's death, which was completely unnecessary by the way, felt more like the filmmakers taking out the last of the trash of the original series. All the old heroes have now been killed off in what feels like a hasty maneuver to make way for the new wonderfully diverse set of characters, who seem less like an organic band of heroes and more like they've been carefully selected to represent every group on a university pamphlet (except white males of course, heh heh!). Honestly though, the forced diversity is far from this movie's biggest problem.

Ma-Rey Sue remains inexplicably powerful, able to effortlessly wield a lightsaber, dispatch trained warriors with ease, match Kylo, and literally move mountains without any training. I guess we are all supposed to just accept it as a given now.

Also, this movie's conclusion was the first time Poe actually meets Rey. Lol.

Plot holes, unnecessary diversions, more plot holes. I won't get too far into this, but purple-hair lady played by Laura Dern was bad. They killed off Admiral Ackbar, the beloved king of Star Wars memes, to shoehorn in this pointless character. Instead of simply telling the Resistance her plan, she withholds it for the sole purpose of leaving the audience in the dark. This allows for more pointless action scenes as well as a completely unnecessary subplot on the gambling world, which basically boiled down to a 30-minute lecture on the evils of capitalism. Wow, such depth in social commentary, I've never heard such critiques before!

The unnecessary subplot allows the romance between Finn and Rose, which then leads to an awkward and loveless kiss at the end.

There was so much snarky, ironic humor, which felt extremely out of place and broke my immersion on more than one occasion. When Poe prank calls Hux I felt like I was watching Spaceballs or something. If the protagonists don't take the bad guys seriously, I'm not going to either. The worst part was during Luke and Leia's reunion, which had the potential to be the most emotional part of the whole movie. So much wasted opportunity here. Remember, this is a brother and sister reuniting after years apart, coupled with her husband's recent death, and Luke's sorrow and failure in not only not saving Han but losing Ben. Instead, the reunion lasted ten seconds and was just as soulless as Han and Leia's reunion (literally the same dialogue). The whole thing felt so underwhelmingly hollow, it actually depressed me.

We waited over thirty years to see Luke, Han and Leia on screen together, and all we got was a shitty few seconds caked with ironic current-year-type humor. We will never see Luke, Han or Leia on screen together ever again. Instead we can only look back at the meager, depressing scraps that TFA and now TLJ have given us.

That's really the problem with this movie, the wasted potential. I can be convinced to look past gaping plot holes and even the silly humor, but at the end of it all we're left with an experience that simply feels empty. The characters are either hollow or pointless, and so are the plots. I can't be convinced to care about this group of characters. Unfortunately, the amazing visuals and the thousands of visual artists will never be able to fix this problem. Some stories are better off left untold.

The magic is simply over.

1/5

I personally loved the movie. I can understand where people could have their reservations but in my book, that’s not enough to give this movie a bad rating. I thought one of the absolute best parts of the film is when Luke admits that he wanted to kill Kylo, even if that thought only lasted for a split second, it was still there. It shows Luke as a normal person. News flash people, this is Star Wars. There are no Vulcans and evenif there was an emotionless species in Star Wars, Luke is not from that species. He has emotions and I’m glad this movie exposed that. Secondly, I loved how this movie shattered literally every expectation I had going into it. I was expecting a rewrite of Empire with a training scene where Luke makes Rey give him a piggy back ride. Obviously I’m exaggerating but you get my point. Now, typically I’m not one to criticize others for having different opinions than me but I have to say this;

To the people who are complaining about Snoke and Rey getting no backstories, about the lightspeed scene, about how the whole movie is a pointless chase scene; please (with all due respect) stop complaining.

1. Palpatine got no backstory in the original trilogy. Rewatch the original trilogy and please tell me where I can find the following information:
What’s his name? What species is he? What planet did he come from? How did he come to power? If you can’t answer any of those questions using only the original trilogy, you can’t complain that we don’t know anything about Snoke.

2. The lightspeed thing. It boggles my mind when people say that you can’t blow up a fleet by going to lightspeed. You do realize you’re watching Star Wars right? DARTH MAUL LITERALLY GOT CUT IN HALF AND CAME BACK! There’s a spherical space station that blows up planets. I wasn’t aware there was a rule book we were following here that specifically says you can’t blow stuff up by hitting it at lightspeed.

3. I don’t believe Rey should be related to anyone we already know and even more than that I don’t believe she should come from some Jedi family trying to fight the first order and blah blah blah. I want her parents to be force sensitive drunks who had no desire to get involved in intergalactic politics or another big ole war. It makes the story more original and honestly it would just be dumb to try and relate her to Han or Luke or Obi-wan.

4. The movie kinda is a big chase scene but A. so was Empire and B. Stop saying “why couldn’t they just speed up?” Okay but they explained that in the beginning. They can’t. They don’t have the engine power to do that. Also I don’t know if you notice but Snoke’s ship is MASSIVE, comparing Snoke’s ship to Vader’s Super Star Destroyer is the equivalent of comparing a dog to an elephant. Something that size definitely is not going to be moving very fast.

That’s all the complaining I’m gonna do. I understand not everyone will love this movie like I did. That’s the great thing about Star Wars. My top three favorites will be different than almost everyone else’s top three. To steal a quote from Obi-wan; “Many of the truths we cling to depend on our own point of view.” (Or something to that effect) I believe it’s a fact that this movie was amazing because it refused to conform to any expectation and that’s exactly what Star Wars fans needed. They needed to be shoved out of their comfort zone. For that reason I give the movie a big 8/10

I've seen the movie twice now, the first time I walked into the theater full of hype, walked out conflicted, and ended up rather sour on the ride home over discussion. Upon the second viewing, I still noticed everything I disliked, but I believe I liked what I did like more.

Cons:

Probably my biggest grip with this movie is (for me at least) there seems to be absolutely no sense of scale, especially when it comes to the military power that the First Order projects. We open the movie with I believe three star destroyers with at least 100 fighters per, plus the dreadnought and however many hundreds it is equipped with. Up against less than 20 Resistance Pilots in X-Wings, A-Wings and ponderous bombers. The FO should have completely overwhelmed the Resistance here, but this isn't where this is most apparent. Later, during the chase after seeing twice that fighters can cause serious harm to capital ships with their basic cannons (Killing the Dreadnought cannons and when Kylo strafes the top of the Raddus and causes several internal explosions) with literally thousands of fighters and bombers now at their disposal, the FO just decide to wait it out and hope the Resistance doesn't have any help coming or tricks up their sleeve, and also don't bother calling any other ships to intercept, or even try to cast out a net to comb for escape pods. There are so many ways to keep the story the same and even up the numbers, such as having it only be a single destroyer that stumbles onto the resistance and Poe's raid knocks out their communications, or simply giving the resistance a more meaningful fleet.

Fighters now apparently completely bypass capital ship's shields.

Hyperspace missiles: You can't suddenly add this into any Sci-Fi series, you either have to hand wave it to not work, or you just open a whole can of worms such as WMD suicide drones.

Holdo's actions: There is absolutely no reason any person in that situation would withhold their plan, especially when commanding people who are literally rebels. There is no risk of interception as that would be communicated via word of mouth. This was added purely to create artificial tension and to give Finn something to do.

Leia Poppins: I would have had less of an issue with this scene if A: It wasn't a perfect way to her to die, or B: They addressed her force use again in the movie, at all.

Finn, denied: Finn manages to do nothing of note (besides be standing next to Phasma when she "dies", a character who also does nothing) and is robbed of his chance to heroically overcome his cowardly nature by the end of the movie. Also, how the hell does he make it back to the base in any sort of time at all, and why does the FO just let him go? I understand Luke shows up and steals the show, but there was time before that.

Force powers are so easy to come by: As much as Rey's power is a bit perplexing, I think the odder note is the broom kid, which I've heard referred to as a Target commercial, which is exactly what it looks like honestly.

Snoke: Dead in a pathetic way without any explanation to his backstory, beyond knowing that he was powerful in the dark side when Luke was training Kylo and the other students.

Child Killer: Luke drawing his blade on Ben while he was sleeping is a HUGE breach in character. I would have liked to hear Snoke say something about influencing both Luke and Ben at the time to make Luke overreact and make sure Ben reacts violently.

Finn and Rose: It feels like this entire plot line should have been cut from the movie and replaced with more Luke, Kylo and Rey.

Still no Kyle Katarn: I know, but I still hope every time.

Pros:

Mark Hamill steals the show, great performance I think.

The effects, particularly the space battles (while not making the most sense) were visually top notch.

Just about every scene with Rey, Kylo, or Luke.

Yoda tells it like it is.

Overall, I think I'm squarely in the 2.5/5 range. Looks great on the surface, just don't look too closely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom