Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Quietly. Silently. Elegantly we rise. (Aveline)

Be careful what you wish for.

The last thing that evil wants...

ai.generated.art.photo-art-1701558005307.png.jpg

resonant-staff-hilt-lit-6.png

"Vanguard" (Secondary - Long Handle)
0cf9376e75158d86a4aaeac9fb408128.jpg

"CONSERVATOR" (Primary - Long Handle)
Robes, Battle Armor,Toraynor-Henkan(mind crystal added) Advanced Jedi Utility Belt
Starship: Spectre, HK-88 (NC-1000 X-wing (Jedi Variant) in the hangar, Dilorian, and Bike both in the cargo bay, the late Karki Eusith's Armor, Shield, Temple Guard Lightsaber mounted on the wall)
Allies: @Aveline Cuiléin
Foes:

“Knighthood lies above eternity; it doesn’t live off fame, but rather deeds.” - Dejan Stojanovic

He wasn’t truly a Jedi anymore.

Sure, he was still a “Master” and always will be, but Caltin Vanagor stepped back from the duties long ago. He did so for his wife and so that his son could carve out his own path and legacy.

So why was he here?

Caltin still believed that true distinctive training was necessary for future generations of Jedi, he wanted to make certain that the "younger set" had all of the tools they could need. That and quite simply, he wanted to still feel useful every now and again. So he took to his “old” style of instruction, the physicalities of the Order, and what it took to be a Jedi of any level. He taught fitness, the physical aspects of the Force, and centering the mind. It was good, not a huge load on his time, and frankly it was fun too, reminded Caltin of why he enjoyed instructing.

Today was to be a little different though, the New Jedi Order Council had asked if he would be willing to help with the trials of a Padawan who is ready. The big man was willing to help until he saw who it was, Aveline was someone to whom Caltin had thought was already Knighted at this point so he felt a responsibility to this. It also bothered him because he had thought that Jax Thio Jax Thio had worked with Ave’ to ready her. Alas that was not the case, and while he did not hold it against the Jedi Maverick at all, it was a disappointing thought. Of course that let in the thought of the story Connel had told of the Master trying to get him inebriated… but that was a conversation for another time.

As he received word that Aveline was on her way, Caltin looked out over the landscape. There was a rupture, a ripple that was out there. The big man knew exactly what it was, but…

Now there is a presence I have not felt for a long time… Turning to face her as she walked in, he smiled, more of a smirk. Should I be looking for Jax? I don’t want him feeling like a ghost again…

Okay, that was a bad joke, but a joke nonetheless.

... is my undivided attention.

Aveline hadn’t been to the Jakku Enclave before. It appealed to her in ways it wouldn’t have before. She’d seen her fair share of Jedi temples. They were all beacons of the Light Side, yet more and more she found her place was out on the frontiers, either in the field or ready to deploy within a moment’s notice. That reminded her of her time with the navy, which brought a fresh smile to her lips.

While her brown boots carried her through the hallways, nostalgia ran rapidly through her mind. Perhaps it was because she was meeting Caltin again. It felt like meeting an old friend, and it reminded her of the past.

Though still a Padawan with the majority of her career ahead of her, Force willing, she had already been through much. She had been cut down by her former master, Jax. He had not done so intentionally, it was the result of the machinations of a Sith Witch. Still, it was a lesson that taught her much. On Metellos she had stood with Iris Arani against a Sith Lord. She had not been cut down that day. Much had happened since she was a curious Padawan learner on Kashyyyk. Much would happen still.

Seeing the big guy off in the distance centered her mind once more, and brought out a wide grin. “It’s only me this time.” the traditionally dressed Padawan made her way over to him, and the difference in stature became more evident with each step. “It’s good to see you again, old man”

Caltin Vanagor Caltin Vanagor

Robes, Battle Armor,Toraynor-Henkan(mind crystal added) Advanced Jedi Utility Belt
Starship: Spectre, HK-88 (NC-1000 X-wing (Jedi Variant) in the hangar, Dilorian, and Bike both in the cargo bay, the late Karki Eusith's Armor, Shield, Temple Guard Lightsaber mounted on the wall)
Foes:

“Knighthood lies above eternity; it doesn’t live off fame, but rather deeds.” - Dejan Stojanovic

”Old Man”?

Caltin wasn’t insulted, but he feigned it in a mock disgust.

You as well, little kid. Letting out a little bit of a chuckle, he was still overlooking the landscape. There was something out there, and it was time that it was discovered and experienced. This was going to be fun, he hadn’t done this in awhile. It had been a long time coming for the young woman next to him.

Are you ready? He knew that she probably would wonder what he was asking her about, but this was a part of the process. All will make sense soon enough.

She couldn't help but let out a grin as she joined him by the view. Aveline had no idea what he had in store for her, but she wasn't concerned. Her answer when he asked whether she was ready came easy.

"Yes" it wasn't about arrogance or overconfidence. It was her faith and trust in the Force and the Light that gave her calm. She knew that, come what may, if she listened, the answers would be out there. Of course it was a matter of personal ability, to be attuned to the right answer, yet stressing or being nervous would do anything but get her into the right mindset.

Aveline knew he would reveal it as it became relevant, but still she asked "What are we doing today?"

Foes:

Well, you are going to be heading out and searching for an item while I] am going to stand here and enjoy some iced caf. He rolled out a half smirk on the side she could not see from where she was standing. This was going to be a fun little mission for her to go on. It was a trial, to be sure, but she would have to learn, adapt and move forward, the life of a Jedi. He had faith in her.

There is an item in a nearby outpost to the North, I cannot tell you what it is, because I do not know. All I can say is that you will need your wits, and your intelligence well at hand. You will need to apply all that you have learned all this time to be able to find what you will be looking for. Standing their quietly and taking a sip of his iced caf, he looked back at her. What? Oh, you can go when you are ready.

He didn’t tell her if she would need gear.

He didn’t tell her if she would need a ride.

He didn’t tell her if she would need help.

He didn’t tell her much of anything.

Such is the life of a Jedi.

“Man, being a Jedi Master sounds comfortable. I can’t wait for my retirement” she joked. She knew being a Jedi of any rank was hardly comfortable, and knowing only a piece of what Caltin had been through, she knew without a shadow of a doubt his time as Jedi Master could not be described as neither comfortable nor easy. Where there was conflict, there was Caltin - not as an instigator, but the solution.

“Maybe the item is my very own iced caf.” she joked. Part of her wished she could stand here and joke with him all day, but she knew that would solve nothing. With a deep sight and a shrug, she owned up to her task. “Alright. I’ll do my best. Be seeing you” sooner rather than later, she hoped.

Aveline set off towards the sandy horizon, with naught but the Force as her guide and her lightsaber as her shield. She let intuition guide her first steps. She imagined wandering about the desert alone wouldn’t provide any answers. If that outpost turned out to be far away, maybe she'd be lucky and stumble upon someone who could lend her a speeder bike.

After a few minutes, she decided that walking was for losers, and began jogging. A tiny voice in the back of her mind told her Caltin wouldn’t be particularly impressed by her taking the easy route out. She was meant to be tough, fit, and she had the Force to rejuvenate her. In other words, no excuses.

Foes:

While Aveline might be joking around, Caltin was not and took her attitude into account of his observation. It did not hurt what would be her “performance”, but it didn’t help either. That did not matter though right now as this was about her growth, and not his hubris.

WHAT SHE WOULD EXPERIENCE.

In her travels, the Padawan would experience the outpost in disarray, not total chaos, but there was clearly something going on in the central common area. The tinge of the Dark Side was calling and centered around a young man and woman who looked to be in their early 20’s.

They were surrounded.

The crowd was shouting obscenities and throwing items at them. The two Dark Siders were showing incredible restraint, though the man, we’ll call him “Baulen” was looking more and more defensive. The woman meanwhile, we’ll call her “Zatch” looked to want nothing more than to just leave.

When the crowd recognized Aveline as a “Jedi”, they welcomed her, and were calling for her to “take them down”.

What would she do?

It didn't take long since Aveline arrived before she could tell something was wrong. The air filled with the sour aftertaste of contempt.

The crowd recognised her, and appeared receptive. They were familiar with Jedi here on Jakku, she imagined, and hopefully saw them as arbiters of peace and justice. She could recuse herself, say she was just a Padawan and try to downplay her importance, but in this instance it would mean giving up her responsibility. The situation clearly called for someone to soothe the winds before they blew up into a storm.

She held her hands up, and approached the group with deliberate steps. «Calm! I am a Jedi. Peace» if they recognised her authority here, they would hopefully hold themselves back until the situation was solved. But what if it was solved in a manner they did not agree with, what then?

«Who can tell me what's going on here? No, not all at once! No, I'm not arguing with a crowd. Who can speak for you?» she said, calling out for a leader or spokesperson. A debate with a mob sounded less than ideal.

While they responded to that, she turned to the man and woman. From the outside, they looked like the victims here - crowded by the mob but doing their utmost to not antagonize them further. Yet Aveline had not seen what got the people riled up to begin with, and she sensed the taint of the Dark Side about them. There was more to this than what met the eyes. Caltin would've known what to do…

She walked over to them, trying for a chance to talk in private before the crowd sent their spokesperson, if they agreed. «Hi, my name is Aveline. Can you tell me what's going on here?» No judgement without a just hearing - they deserved to have their side of the story told.

What she would see and hear was the crowd yelling and screaming about how they were Sith, demanding that they show her their weapons. They had yet to reveal to her but "Baulen" had a lightsaber, and "Zatch" had a Sith dagger. Soon items were being thrown at them irritating Baulen, though Zatch, just as angry, would not let him respond. He was here for her and she would not let him get into trouble over her, Only when a hysterical woman ran up and tried to rip out the handbag from Zatch's hands would anyone see the dagger.

The crowd smelled of vindication, sure that this was all that they would need to send these two Dark Siders away.

When asked, some of them showed general fear, others were that of experience, Sith had raided their planet several times, some of them having worked, and survived the Sacking of the 'old' Jedi Enclave on Jakku. Many of them swore that they would never allow something like this again, even mentioning a hidden weapons cache not far away.

Baulen, nor Zatch said to have had any idea about that, and the truth was in their words. They were simply here for one reason, having done what they came here to do and want to leave.

This seemed to raze the crowd even more calling them "spies" and "scouts" and yelling an invasion to be iminent.

What to do?

Aveline had to stop looking over her shoulder for people like Caltin to come and save the day. She always imagined that one day she would simply grow up, as if she would suddenly wake up and find that adulthood had simply happened to her. It was dawning on her that an adult was not something you passively became, but an active decision one made to act like. No one had all the answers, but they did their best. Such was the nature of responsiblity.

The situation most definitely had the potential to get out of hand. Particularly after the dagger got revealed in a flash. Its origin would be a thing of interest, as was the woman's restraint. But if the situation was allowed to escalate, the accused forced to defend themselves, if blood was drawn, there would be no way back.

Trying a quiet one-on-one conversation had been unsuccessful. She could slam her foot into the ground and create a ripple wave through the Force for attention, but the Force was not used by Jedi to intimidate civilians. She had to try a different approach.

At the heart of chaos, Aveline took a deep breath, centering herself admidst the swirling emotions. With a calm and steady voice, she addressed the crowd, loud enough for all to hear.

"My friends, I understand your concerns and fears. It is true that the Dark Side has brought great pain, but we must not let our emotions cloud our judgement. Jumping to conclusions will only lead to more suffering. Fear is a powerful emotion, and it can blind us. We must rise above it, as the Jedi have always strived to do. Allow me to investigate this calmly, and assess the situation. Violence begets violence, and I believe we can find a resolution here."

Aveline stood between the two groups. Not only was it a good place to get the attention of the crowd, but it allowed her to keep watch and try to prevent further clashes between the civilians and the accused. They were by no means free of guilt or innocent, that had yet to be determined, but attacking them now and forcing a fight ensured that answers would not be had, only blood.

She continued, making a point of making eye contact with as many as she could within the crowd, hoping to convey a sense of reason and diplomacy. "I ask you to trust in the Force and the principles of justice. Let us not succumb to the anger and fear that the Dark Side thrives on. Together we ensure the safety of this community without needless bloodshed." Aveline hoped her little speech could diffuse the tension and guide the situation towards a more peaceful resolution.

She would not use the Force to intimidate them with a show of force, nor would she dull their minds with tricks of the mind. Instead, she sought to radiate through the Force a sense of peace and calm, to drown out the anger and bloodlust with serenity.

Just how much trust the people placed upon the office of the Jedi, remained to be seen. Yet she was ready to claim responsiblity for these two, and accept judgement herself should her actions today be deemed to be out of order.

Aveline Cuiléin Aveline Cuiléin

Much of the crowd was raucous at the point. Was she going to side with them? Sure she was! They're "wizards" and "magicians"., they think that they are all better than everyone around them and this was a showing of it. Several of them continued to throw things, but staying well hidden in the back, all to try and incite a riot but for now it wasn't working.

Baulen was just as angry as one would expect, but he was not raging, or looking for a fight, he looked to be furious at the effect that this was having on Zatch. She was ready to break down into tears. Even mouthing words (if Ave would catch them) to Baulen of "I am so sorry", and "I just want to go home." There was a rise in the displeasure of the male protector of the two. He was looking more and more like a cornered animal with each passing moment. Not for him, but for her.

Reasoning with them collectively had not solved the situation, but it might have given her more space to manoeuvre. They didn't appear moments away from attacking the two alleged Sith at least. Tenson still clung thick to the air, and people still threw thing - but thankfully from the back and less openly. Aveline did what she could to subtly re-direct thrown objects to miss or curve off to the side, as if taken by the wind.

Aveline had more arguments, but kept them in reserve as she once more changed approach.

«My name is Aveline Cuilein. I assume responsibility of these two, and will see justice in the name of the Jedi Order»

Had things been more calm she could've questioned individuals on site, but alone it was all she could do to keep things from getting violent.

She turned to the two individuals, and lowered her voice to address them directly. «Let's get you out of here, yes? I'm not going to hurt you, but I do want to know what happened here. Did you come by ship?» she asked, holding out an arm to guide them in a direction away from the crowd, while her other hovered as if to put on the man's back without actually touching him or being particularly near.

Having jogged in herself, she didn't exactly have means to get them out of here.

In an odd look of resolve, Zatch shook her head. She explained that they took public transport here. She went on to extoll how Baulen was here to support her as this trip was her idea and hers alone. Yes, they were attune to the Dark SIde of the Force and were trying to make their way in as Acolytes, but they harbored no ill will towards her and were not here to cause any harm. Her mother died during the sacking of the old Enclave and Zatch only recently learned of where it happened. She only wanted to come here to pay her respects. They had not spoken in years and she was regretful of how they went their separate ways.

There was a truth to her voice, something that could not be faked.

Aveline listened to their explanation. Her first words were "I'm sorry for your loss"

"It is good you are not alone, and you have each other. You did well to stand by her, and to not resort to violence earlier. But be careful with the Dark Side... It is in its nature to make us sacrifice those we love for power."
she said solemly, looking between the couple. They had each other now, but Aveline was sure if they followed the path they seemingly were on, they would not keep each other. Of course, Aveline could be wrong.

Aveline's paused for a moment, her face growing puzzled as an idea formed in her mind. "What if... You came back with me, to Coruscant?" she watched the two, gauging their reaction. "I can show you how we do things. Strength comes in many shapes. I know good people there, who would take you in. Who wouldn't judge." it was a suggestion, and she did not press the matter should they grow uncomfortable. "Just a thought." she imagined they had their reasons for treading the path they had chosen, but she would not have it be for lack of options.

"I have heard some say they want to use the Dark Side for good. I have not heard it ever turning out that way. Even if one starts with good intentions, it is a force that slowly corrupts, changes who you are... Let me tell you, the only ones who visits the graves of loved ones are the initiates... Those it is not too late for" Aveline had a hope, that even if her offer wasn't taken up on today, that that thought would sit, linger, and in a moment of doubt be the light to carry them home.

It wasn't too late for them. What the future held, Aveline didn't know. They could fall completely. Yet they had not yet, and it was not Aveline's place to take away their chance for redemption.

Aveline would, if they let her, guide them away from the settlement. At first she had thought to call in Caltin for an evac, and she still might. Though a long walk might do them all good. Time to think, talk, and reflect.

Several in the crowd managed to eavesdrop and spread word that she was trying to absolve them of any crimes. This was causing civil unrest among many of them, and those who were already violent were only trying to make things worse. In short, the smoldering fire was ramping up. Even the two Dark Siders who were being very(and surprisingly) amicable were not very open to the idea of "joining the Jedi", neither harbored any ill will, but "going into the light" was not an option for either of them.

Aveline had not realized she had been within eavesdropping range, a sloppy mistake on her part. The fires were stoked, and embers threatened to turn into flames. She really should have come in here on a speeder, at least. She continued trying to walk with the two, away from the crowd. Confiscating a transport from the settlement also didn't seem right, and likely wouldn't go down well.

One fact still remained; she needed to get them out of here if she didn't want to leave them to being stoned by a mob.

Aveline walked a few paces away from the two, though kept a watchful eye towards any crowd. Had they followed and stayed close, she would not leave their side. Pulling up her comm, she signalled for Caltin Vanagor Caltin Vanagor . "Cuiléin here" she left out her rank, not wanting to lose authority over the situation by not being a full-fledged Jedi. "Requesting evac. Got two suspects at my coordinates. Guilt unclear, but about to be on the receiving end of some local justice." her tone, she thought, made it clear quite what that implied. She had no idea if her request would be accepted or not.

Aveline walked back to the group, trying to get them to walk with her towards wherever public transit was taken in this place. She gestured at the man's robes, indicating the weapon concealed underneath his cloak. "That's a fascinating weapon you've got there. Ever had to use it?" she asked. It seemed no crime had been committed here, aside from two dark siders showing up in a place with bad history with them. There was still the lingering sense of potential of dark deeds. If they were not killers yet, they were prime candidates to evolve into them. But could Aveline truly judge them for choices not yet made? And perhaps the seed of light she had planted would bear fruits.

"You say your mother came from here. Do you have any other family left? Family friends?" she asked the other. Judging by the crowd, there weren't too many friendly faces.

A part of her wondered if Caltin would be disappointed in her calling for help, and not resolving the issue herself. It would also seem that the item he had asked her to find would stay hidden a bit longer. She dismissed the thought. To her the folly would be to try to do it all by herself. They were a team, stronger together, and one did not risk lives merely to prove a point. There was a balance between knowing when to ask for help, and when you were simply moving the burden of choice over to someone else.

Baulen was getting frustrated at the situation and reached for his lightsaber, as the crowd saw this and became ever more frightened/raucous, the twist had yet to be emitted. He went to hand over the weapon to her, freely. Zatch followed suit in handing over her dagger. She explained that the weapon had never been used before, at least not by her. She was indeed wary about it. By the time the message had gone through and the worded response of "Transportation Enroute." came back, the crowd was verbal again.

"What is going on, Master Jedi?"

"Are they going to be arrested or not?"

"They turned over their weapons, maybe..."

"Maybe what? They're Sith! They're scum! They deserve to die!"

Aveline felt the tension as Baulen reached for his weapon. He had a lightsaber... Maybe he was further along the initiation process than she had thought. She didn't reach for her own weapon, but felt prepared to do so in an instant. Thankfully it didn't come to that.

Aveline smiled a 'thank you' with her eyes, and clipped the weapons to her belt. It was a good show of faith, and she believed it would help towards a peaceful resolution. Now she simply needed to keep this from escalating further until the transport arrived.

'To run here', she reflected on the start of this eventful day. She had thought to impress Caltin with physical ability, as well as not complaining about having no means to travel. She'd get things done, she had thought. Now, however, it felt more like arrogance.

"Calm" she raised her hands to address the crowd again. She moved towards them, seemingly with the intent to speak, though strategically placing herself between them and the crowd. Just as with her words, she sought to radiate calm through the Force. "They have surrendered their weapons to me. I will stay with them and see justice done. The Jedi don't believe in public executions , least of all without a trial."

"Don't they deserve that much?"
she thought of invoking Zatch's dead mother, who presumably was one of the village, but let it be. It might make tempers run hotter. "The Dark Side is tempting, and can lure many to its side who don't truly understand it. These two may not have taken that final step, they can still be redeemed. Is that not the same understanding you would wish for your sons and daughters, should they get caught up in over their heads? Is it not true they have not fought back? Is it not true that even as they have been pushed and had things thrown at them, they have done nothing in return? What crimes they have committed, they will answer for. But I will not kill them in cold blood. If you search your own feelings, you know it is not the right path. Hate breeds hate. Answer it with compassion when you can, with justice when you must." she spoke not her own words, but echoes of words spoken to her long ago, from masters at the Silver temples, and what she had learned training under Ammon.

Aveline did not want to tell them to welcome dark siders with open arms. By all accounts, nothing good came from Sith visitations. Yet these two did not feel like Sith to her.

"The Jedi Code is this" she started, perhaps hoping it would bring light to the situation, perhaps stalling for time until the transport arrived; "there is no emotion; there is peace. There is no ignorance; there is knowledge. There is no passion; there is serenity. There is no chaos; there is harmony."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom