Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PvP 101: The Importance of Talking with your Opponent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
I loved the article about learning to take a measured hit so much, I decided to kind-of/sort-of expand upon it. I'd like to discuss the importance of talking with your PvP writer partner. About chatting with your opponent.

• 1. Miscommunications will occur. Ask them why they mean?
    I have never been in a PvP thread were I did not have to PM my opponent at least once and say: Can you clarify what you meant by that? Mistakes happen. Misspellings happen. And even drunk posting happens. Haha. So never fear to step back and take a moment to say: Huh? I wonder what they meant by that? Trust me. 2 seconds to send a PM will save you weeks of going: Wait what? That's not what I meant? But you said? Oh gosh. What is going on? ...Haha.

[*]2. All Competitive is Cooperative. Learn to share.
  • Respect is not free. Just because someone approaches your character with a sword in hand, does not mean they respect all the hard work and effort you have put into your character. Maybe they don't care. Maybe they just want somebody to test out their new toy on? Maybe they want a good clean death? Who knows? ...The point is. If you don't talk to your opponents writer, you'll never know? So take the time to ask them what they want from this duel. Ask them for their expectations. Ask them for their hopes and dreams. You'd be surprised how often a boring duel can turn into an Epic Duel! When you both decide to just start slinging Tanks at each other with reckless abandon. Haha. But you'll never know, unless you ask?

[*]3. Your culture, is not my culture. Real Life breeds strange people.
  • As an American, most Foreigners don't get me. They don't understand my culture, they don't understand my humor, and they don't understand why my Jedi wears bodyarmor. Haha. And vic-versa, I don't understand their culture, I don't understand their language, and I certainly don't understand why their Sith demands to fight me dressed like Dracula. Lol. And these strange cross-culture experiences can lead to weird things inside a duel too. They can lead us to assume things that aren't really true. They can change our perspectives of the people we are writing with. They can make us go: This writer is crazy. I'm not dueling him again. Flamethrowers and Sonic Grenades from an Ewok Jedi? No way. That is so lame. ...Haha. So take the time to remember that not everyone is the same as you. Fourteen year olds going through puberty have a lot on their plate right now. *wink* Go easy on them. Hell, sometimes I even throw the fight just to make them feel better.

The moral of the story is: If you're PvPing, and NOT PMing somebody every day? Your either missing out on making a new friend, or you're doing something wrong. Haha.

- Jay :D

I love this. PMs behind the scene are the crux of writing a good duel, and I don't think I've ever dueled someone without a lengthy chat going on behind the scenes. PvP is a cooperative two-way street.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Circe Savan said:
Because when I PvP, things go badly for me,
See. You need to talk to Siobhan. She has this Ceiling-Collapsing trick? Yeah. Works like a charm. You two should totally get together and do that. I hear it's all the rage with the kids these days. Something about... Bring down the house. Not just for college parties anymore. *wink wink* :D :p

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Circe Savan said:
I don't have to worry about this. Why? Because I don't PvP. I avoid it when at all possible. Because when I PvP, things go badly for me, whether IC or OOC.
You don't PvP... you only get suckered into doing it, lose, and inadvertently get your friends to pity you and fight the world for you. xD
(and win because DIE damnit :3)

Jay Scott Clark said:
See. You need to talk to Siobhan. She has this Ceiling-Collapsing trick? Yeah. Works like a charm. You two should totally get together and do that. I hear it's all the rage with the kids these days. Something about... Bring down the house. Not just for college parties anymore. *wink wink* :D :p

Well you see, I had a roof dropped on my head once. Good thing I have a thick skull. Although that was probably part of the reason why the roof was dropped on my head...

Jay Scott Clark said:
Yeah, that's not going to work... @[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"] and I haven't had a good relationship since she and @[member="Jorus Merrill"] stormed onto my SD and blew it up.

There had been a length of many years where I barely touched duels, and that was largely due to the board I was on at the time, which I am still a member of, but have since moved to other boards, as well. The RP landscape of the place changed, and the setting was such that it made PvP a lot more rare for story reasons. It's only been in the past several months that it's occurred to me just how much I missed PvP, given recent requirements in another place that I engage in it. Now I crave it again, and wish to seek reasons to have it.

I don't recall ever having a duel or spar without some sort of communication, either via PM or IM or what have you. More often than not, I've usually known the person behind my opponent, to a certain degree, to start with, but on this board where the people I know tend to be on the same team as me? New opponents, new friends to be had. Golden opportunity, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom