Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Planet Registry 2.0

[SIZE=12pt]Let me start by saying that I believe you staff members are awesome. You all volunteer out of your free time to order this board, to help us have a good time, and do a pretty bang up job. Thanks. You keep this place the right level of both fun and orderly. It’s a thankless job, and as someone who volunteers a lot in his community, I understand how a thankless job feels.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Problem:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] A lot of individuals like to rule planets as their own independent factions. And miscommunication as well as the lack of centralized cannon for this can cause needless tension. The Lore section goes a great way towards fixing this, however tension can often still arise. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Solution:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] A centralized location (that is totally optional) can be used as a registry for individuals to rule over planets. This does not prevent a major faction from doming or taking the planet over. In this case, they would more or less still rule over said planet—like a regional governor or what not. Once more, this would be 100% optional, just like the factory and codex are. However, it would minimize confusion, allow for individuals to be able to role play appropriately, and help minimize OOC drama from flaring up from accidental IC cross over accidents.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Application: [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]This could be a part of the “planets” section of the codex, I would even be willing to run it if it would be too much of a strain on the staff. (I don’t believe in stating a problem without being willing to belly up and be a part of the solution.) [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The applying to the “ownership” of a planet could follow a simple format like this:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Planet:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] What is the name of the planet? Include a link to the planet.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Owner:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] Is it a corporation? An individual? A sub faction? Note that only one planet at a time may be controlled by a corporation, sub faction, or individual at a time. (A corporation or sub faction or individual cannot control say, both Tatoowine and Ryl)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Relevant links:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] Please provide at least one relevant link to a thread where this planet has been taken over, or a Lore link to how this planet was conquered through a series of events.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Its that simple, and it would eliminate a lot of hassle. Now, you may ask yourself, what is to prevent a long-gone character who hasn’t showed up in 6 months from locking in a planet and keeping anyone else from taking it over? We have a limit. A user, like cannon items, forfeits their use of said items if they have been gone for a standard period of time. 30-60 days seems more than fair to me. That way, continual users of the site can keep their stuff going while allowing for the fact that life just happens sometimes. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]What keeps someone from locking in Coruscant and keeping the rest of us from role playing on it?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Ownership of a planet does not mean it’s a “no one else can go in my yard” policy. This board and this galaxy belongs to everyone. There should be a few planets that cannot be owned, and I am open to discussion on which those should be. Nothing would change except for a centralization of information that would keep like five different people from owning the same planet…. At the same time. Or from a few needless arguments that could be completely prevented by the ceneralization of information.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I am totally open to new ideas and the refinement of this. What does the staff think? What do you members think? Tell me wha you think can be better and what needs to be removed?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Thanks for your time, have a great day! [/SIZE]

The issue with having staff do this is that it's another list for staff to manage and it changes so rapidly that it becomes a burden and is better left to someone else to unofficially take on the task.

There isn't anything stopping anyone from copying the list that was already made, reposting it, and maintaining it going forward though.

As awesome as it is, the list does get to be a lot. I can see what we can do to try and make things easier for people.

On another note, you have to be a major faction to have "true" owner ship based on the rules of the board. Since a major faction can dominion a planet to absorb it into their cloud - someone can't say "nope its mine." I'm open to having it continue to be done unofficially and have someone or someones keep an eye on it. Just copy + repost and then make sure you give credit to the individual that started it all.

[member="Allyson Locke"] [member="Mariya Pyne"] [member="Scherezade deWinter"] [member="Cira"] [member="Zye Woden"]

I would be willing to do it, however I would ask if my post(s) could be made "open" to edit for the unofficial list, for myself and any others I choose. The reason I wouldn't want to do this is if I'm the only one that could ever make the edits. The problem with the last one is that it essentially became landlocked by the author, as no one else could edit it. If for whatever reason I had to LOA or leave, edits would not only pile up, but it would stay out of date.

[member="Zye Woden"] [member="Ferron Troste"]

if you put the original list in a Gdoc you can put it on a page for a group of people to edit and everyone here can see it without having to follow a link.

if that interests you both i can teach you how and possibly help during mid august through into next year

[member="Cynthia Solus"]

That would work if this wasn't Chaos. Since it's unofficial everyone would unfortunately be able to say jo shmo owns everything. I have a simpler plan to do it all.

[member="Allyson Locke"]

Then my method will just have to work, haha

I'll get started in a little bit

Someone else will have to do it. Sorry guys, have fun

[member="Ferron Troste"]

If you're worried about an open post one option could be to put a link to an open g-doc in your post and do the updates in there. That would give you a few advantages, anyone could access it and edit it and google keeps a track of changes so that if someone does something that is not correct it can be rolled back easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom