Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phoenix

There was a slight wince from Ra when the datapad went flying and crashing across the room into the wall. Everybody had different ways in dealing with their anger. She would have to remember to provide Milo with something to beat up so he didn't end up destroying her ship. After she spoke the question in return, that stressed look crossed his face again and the old wrinkles returned.

If the situation had been any different, Ra would actually attempted to offer him some comfort. However, to do that wasn't right at the moment. He needed to digest what he had just learned of her.

His answer was nothing less than she expected however and she nodded, even giving a small smile at quirk of humor. When he apologized and sat down next to her again, asking if they were okay, Ra held her hand out to him. Almost as if they were meeting again for the first time.

"I understand why you're upset, Milo and do accept your apology. The deception wasn't meant to keep it from you personally, but from everybody here. It's true when I say they don't know I can use the Force."

[member="Milo Ren"]

Milo Ren

A Howling Voice in the Desert
Milo took the offered hand, holding it in his rough one while he spoke.

"I understand. I overreacted. For that, I'm sorry. It's difficult to learn how to trust again. But I'm sure you know about that."

The former Ren cast a dark look towards the floor. Some things would never change.

"Like I said, I'm grateful you took us under your wing. I think, for the moment, we'll stay with you."

Milo then realized he had been holding Ra's hand the entire time he was speaking. His cheeks grew a slight shade of red, and he withdrew his hand after giving Ra's a quick squeeze.

"Sorry."

What Ra had intended as mostly a handshake turned into holding hands. She didn't pull away from it though. Always having her mind set on business, there was a part of life she didn't think about. A follower of the sith code, she knew of passion. It was more a personal drive sort of passion, not the other kind. The kind that holding hands could lead to.

"In time, I hope to earn that trust, Milo. There are many things in life that are difficult and trust is one of the hardest to earn and keep. Sometimes it only takes one small thing and that trust is shattered."

Coming to a decision after looking at the ground to stay with her, he pulled his hand out of the grip with a slight coloring to his cheeks and a final squeeze to her hand. Another apology and she gave him a smile.

"If I didn't feel I could trust you at least a little, I wouldn't have extended the invitation I did. I'm glad you will be staying, no matter how long it is."

[member="Milo Ren"]

Milo Ren

Milo was slightly embarrassed at his previous actions. One minute ago they were about to fight, and the next they were holding hands? How peculiar.

"Trust is hard to gain, but easy to lose. With that said, we'll see what happens."

She was happy to have him stay? A slight flutter emanated from his heart, a pang that he hadn't felt for quite some time. It was somewhat nice to be wanted again.

"Well....thank you. I'm, ah, flattered. I'll do my best to help out around here, do my fair share."

With a slight cough to cover his rapidly reddening face, Milo stood up, resting a hand on Ra's shoulder momentarily before walking to the other side of the office.

"Is there anything you expect from me?"

"Of course, I wouldn't have it any other way."

There was no real inflection to her voice to indicate if she liked or disliked the idea. However, through the Force she didn't keep her emotions hidden. In there, it could be felt she agreed with what was said. Milo mentioned doing his share of work and that was something else Ra had hoped for.

"Well, until you get fully settled in and your daughter into the schooling we have here, I won't expect much from you. It's only been a couple of days. Without a sense or feeling of day or night in space, getting used to the always on hours of operation, can take a bit."

Standing up and walking over to her desk, Ra sat down and started looking through the drawers until she found another datapad. It was of a similar kind to the one he broke, but a little more worn indicating it might be an older model or used more than the previous one. Turning it on, she pulled up a list of items and set it down on the desk.

"There is a list of positions I have for organics that work for me. Most of my crew are droids, but there are some spots that should be filled by people. Also a timing of school for your daughter."

[member="Milo Ren"]

Milo Ren

Milo took the datapad, scrolling through the open positions within the fleet. Two peaked his interest.

"Supervisor. And Captain. Hm. Interesting. In all honesty, I'd probably be more oriented towards supervisor. I don't know too much about running entire ships."

He looked a Ra for a moment before continuing.

"By the way, there's something you should know. Freya isn't my real daughter. I adopted her."

A brief look of sadness crossed his face before returning to a neutral expression.

"If we're going to trust each other, I might as well tell you everything. My...former apprentice murdered her father on my order. We took her, and I groomed her to become an assassin. I brainwashed her far enough for her to think I'm actually her father. Make no mistake, I love her and care for her like she's my own. But she isn't."

The former Ren darkly looked at Ra as he recounted his twisted past, gauging her reaction to his monstrous past mistakes.

Being perfectly aware of what positions were open, Ra nodded and accepted his answer on which he wanted. Admitting he didn't know much about running ships indicated he had enough sense to know he still had things to learn. It also showed he wasn't after power for the sake of having it.

"Since there really no day or night here like I stated earlier, in a way you can set your own schedule as long as the job gets done. I run a farely lax operation concerning organics. The droids know what they need to do and do that."

That was all she would really say on the subject of hours or what she expected him, at least for now.

For a moment as he looked at her, sadness crossed his expression before it returned to something more neutral. In a way very much like she presented herself almost all the time. Milo said he had something to admit and told her about his daughter, how he had trained her, but that he still loved and cared for her.

"What has been done in the past can't be changed, Milo. However, I commend you for taking on the responsibility for raising her. You say you started training her as an assassin?"

There was no tone of censure or anything bad in her voice. Just acceptance and advice. After she asked her question, Ra stood up. Already hiding her force signature, she then faded from view. Casting almost an illusion over her form. If Milo looked close though he would see what a fold in the lightwaves around where she stood.

"I am also an assassin and can offer more training if you feel she could still learn."

Reappearing, Ra refilled her glass and returned to the couch to sit next to Milo.

[member="Milo Ren"]

Milo Ren

Milo cocked an eyebrow at Ra's impressive use of Force Cloak. Interesting. He was thinking less about her teaching Freya and more about her teaching him how to do that.

"Yes, perhaps some instruction is called for. Although I don't want her to be taught how to kill for the sake of killing. Strictly defensive material. Nothing more."

The former Ren didn't want her to turn into another Zesiro, after all.

"Have you ever been in love?"

He didn't know why he just said that. Perhaps it had to do with the thought of Zes lingering on his mind. Or perhaps it had to do with the fact that he just now noticed the beautiful woman sitting across from him. Either way, it was a mistake to ask something as personal as that.

"I shouldn't have asked. You don't have to answer that, if you'd rather not."

When he raised an eyebrow at her disappearing, Ra was rather glad she was in stealth because she couldn't help but smile a little. Not a false one either, but one that lit up to her eyes. Even if there wasn't full trust in him for her, she had given some of hers to him. There might have been a small twinkle that remained in her eyes as she came out of stealth, but her mostly business façade was back in place when she came out.

When he said he wouldn't want Freya trained in any other form other than for defense Ra nodded, not entirely liking the idea. The use of another trained assassin could come in handy at times, but she understood. She wouldn't step on his wishes or force training on her Milo might not want.

"To be fair, if she can use the Force and it's likely she can if she's the daughter of a Jedi, just being able to hide like that would be enough. Fighting can be taught though beyond what she may not already know from you."

His next question caught Ra by a surprise, but she would answer even though he said she didn't have to. It wasn't something she spoke of often and never really thought about. Her focus on business had kept her from considering what else might be missing from her life and she shook her head.

"No, in fact my master growing up told me to stay away from personal relationships. His reasoning which is entirely valid...anybody I might become close to can be used as a weapon against me. It is weakness to fall in love he told me. So basically it's never been an option or thought of mine. Why do you ask? You mentioned you had been in love before, but it fell apart."

[member="Milo Ren"]

Milo Ren

"I don't want to talk about it."

Milo immediately regretted his answer. She had opened up a lot about herself to him. Ra deserved to know, and his eyes met her twinkling ones with an exasperated look.

"I'm sorry. I'll tell you about it. It had started off innocently enough. She was my research assistant. I was a Knight at that time, and the First Order's chief archeologist. We fell in love in our time together. When I left the Ren, I took her as an apprentice. I know better now to do such a thing. It's not good to be in love with someone under you. Eventually, my corruption began to affect her. Twisted us both. When we finally parted, it was under the mutual understanding that, if we were to meet again, blood would be shed."

Milo hung his head in shame as he told Ra everything. Out of all his deeds, his fallout with Zesiro was probably the one that was the heaviest on his heart.

"It's not a weakness, no. It's the greatest of strengths. But, it is a double edged sword. Wielded improperly...it can make you long for death."

With that, the former Ren stood up and ran a hand through his hair, clearly anxious from his past mistakes.

"Don't make the same mistakes I did. Please."

The back and forth prodding of each other proved that Milo would often speak first before thinking it through and then regretting when he did it. Giving quiet thanks he had decided to be a supervisor, it would take him a bit of time to adjust to a more business mindset and think before speaking. As if he realized the mistake he did again, he apologized and explained what had happened to him with his love. Nodding as he spoke, Ra considered how to respond.

"Many sith have ruined relationship over a desire for power. Was that the case with you?"

Milo said love wasn't a weakness, but a double edged sword. She lifted one of her eyebrows at that because that meant pain no matter what in her mind. Letting out a sigh at his warning or suggestion, not entirely sure how to look at it.

"I don't think I'll ever find love."

[member="Milo Ren"]

Milo Ren

Milo cast a grim smirk at Ra's statement that she would never find love.

"That was the case, yes. My hunger for power and to further immerse myself in the dark overrode my love for her. It was a pity. For a time, I thought that she was the one. Not anymore, though. Still, I would like to see her again at some point, just to apologize."

He cracked his neck in anxiousness just at the thought of running into Zes again.

"You don't think you'll find love, eh? Neither did I. I was too involved with my studies, too isolated emotionally and mentally. Still, love found me. Perhaps it'll do the same for you."

The former Ren then stood back up, looking down at Ra as he spoke.

"I don't want to keep you busy if you have work that needs to be done. Not that I don't mind talking to you, but I'd imagine you have better things to be doing than chatting me up."

For the moment, there was no hesitation in his answer. Milo didn't say he didn't want to talk about it, apologize and then say anyway. Things were opening up within him and it appeared he might be seeing Ra meant no harm to him or his daughter. Even if he didn't trust her, it was still a start.

Giving him a flat look, devoid of emotion, but not emotionlessness, Ra shook her head and gestured with a hand at herself.

"At my age? I doubt it. A few have tried to date me, but it's never taken past a first date. Must be something wrong with me. Eh, I have my work to keep me busy and studies to keep my mind occupied. Which reminds me..."

Standing up a moment or two after him, Ra would walk to the door and open it.

"Please follow me. Actually, there's not much that needs to be done right now, so I can show you around a bit. Where the class is held here and something else. Unless you have other plans you wanted to do."

[member="Milo Ren"]

Milo Ren

"I've seen people older than both of us combined find love. It'll happen."

With an all-knowing smirk, Milo nodded at Ra's offer to show him around. It would be important to orient himself to what was going to be his place of work for the moment.

"Yes, please show me around. What would the curriculum be for Freya?"

Lifting an eyebrow at his words and at how confident he smile, Ra just shook her head and dropped the subject. Could it happen? Yes, it could. She found it unlikely to though. An independent person, one that didn't want to be tied down. The kind of person that couldn't see herself tied to a location for long. About the only thing she felt she would miss was being a parent. No children of her own to pass on what she has or her knowledge.

Agreeing to having her show him around, she would start walking away from the bridge where he had joined her and left the office behind. He asked a question concerning his daughter and her education.

"Well, that depends in a way on what she already knows or doesn't know. I don't mean to imply you might have shirked on her education or anything, just remember that. Since right now, the only information I have is that she was started training as an assassin."

Walking at a comfortable pace, Ra would give Milo the time to answer her own unspoken one about his daughter's education.

[member="Milo Ren"]

Milo Ren

"Unfortunately, yes, she is lacking a conventional education. When I adopted her, she was completely illiterate. I've taught her the alphabet and a few words, but she still struggles."

That partly wasn't Milo's fault. Between kidnapping her and running away from his enemies, he had found little time to teach Freya anything besides the bare basics. Still, she was sharp. The young woman would excel in a classroom.

"She's very bright, however. I don't have a doubt that she will outperform her peers."

Listening to his answer, Ra thought of how best to approach the girl's education. Reaching one of the lifts, they had to wait for it and she looked up at him before speaking. She would also need to speak to the tutors here and see if there were any that would be willing to teach her on a more basis than a class room.

"I feel she should be tested and then put through classes that meet her education level. Here schooling might be a little different than elsewhere. There aren't many organics, as you may have noticed. So the ones that are here can spend more time working with her one on one. As for her self defense, you and I can work with her together if you want."

Thinking very much more with a business mind when she spoke, there was no hint Ra intended to flirt or hint she was. However, when she said together, there was an unconscious pause. Ra looked at him when she said it and maybe a small part of her she didn't recognize or know was there tempted her to do that.

She didn't doubt when ​Milo said he felt Freya was bright. It was every parent's right to feel that way.

[member="Milo Ren"]

Milo Ren

"That could work. I'd like to supervise her in class for a moment, if that's acceptable. And yes, I suppose we can train her...together."

Milo flashed Ra a brief, wry smile before returning to a neutral expression. Even if that was a slip from her, he felt his heart briefly flutter. Was she interested in Milo, even after hearing about all the horrible things he had done? That would be a miracle.

"I think we both have a lot to learn from each other as well."

Listening to what Milo said about observing the classes, Ra sort of shrugged a little. There's never been an issue if a parent wanted to watch the class. It gave them some form of control and allowed them a hands on opportunity to interact with the tutors and teachers she had. Having a limited amount of organics, none of these teachers had any real education when it came to teaching. Ra just employed those that wanted to help share what they did know though. All in all, it used the strengths of each person to make each other stronger. A very sith way of looking at things, but not in an evil way. It was how she used the part of the code she didn't apply to herself.

When he said he also thought they could work to train Freya together, he also had a small pause as he spoke and gave her a bit of a smile when he finished. He continued on and said he thought they both had a lot to learn from each other as well, she gave him a slightly odd look.

"What would you think we could teach other?"

[member="Milo Ren"]

Milo Ren

Milo sidetracked the question. It was best not to say anything that might make the situation awkward. Maybe she wasn't even interested in him. Who knew?

"That we'll see. I have an additional question. Since my ship is here, am I free to come and go as I please? And if that were the case, would Freya be all right staying here by herself at times?"

He wasn't particularly fond of leaving his daughter behind, but some places he may go to on his journeys may not be the safest places for children.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom