Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discussion Past and current experiences with other roleplay communities?

Caedyn Arenais

C
Hey a fellow Talkcity user!

I started out on Talkcity with a chaotic group in the Star Wars chats. There were various rooms, like Naboo and such, and somehow people had sectioned themselves off for RP. Had a lot of fun and was sad when it ended.

Moved on to The Gungan Council and various other smaller forums. Did that for a while before calling it quits and giving up RP for years.

Wanted to RP again and went back to TGC and was there for a bit when this site was catching traction. Joined here and straddled both for awhile until this was my main source for RP.

Heya! TalkCity was my first introduction to Roleplay; I was an addicted fourteen-year-old. My roleplay was absolutely terrible but it paved the way for where I am today in my literacy and creative writing :)

I had met another former member here, though they have since left Chaos sadly. I always hoped something like Talkcity would come about again, but thankfully we still have Chaos and it's wonderful ways <3

Alan

Blessed are the peacemakers
I started out on Habbo Star Wars Roleplay, then Libby (if anyone still remembers her) invited me over to Chaos. - I developed a good bit for writing dialogue there, from Habbo, since it was a browser-based game and you were constantly writing dialogue. But I also picked up a lot of bad habits when I transitioned over to here, from Habbo. It took me a while to get over the powergaming aspect that I wasn't even really seeing- things that were normal to do on one site, weren't acceptable on another, etc. I think now I'm much more aware of it, and I think the transition was honestly for the better. Habbo is a cesspool and has a lot of issues. A lot of drama, infighting, splits, just bad things.

I've been on Chaos and Gaia too, Gaia is full of good writers but just a lot of unfounded potential and dying threads.

I really liked the world of Chronicles, but honestly I don't feel like I'm in the right crowd of people or know enough people to get it going. One thing that's super, super great about Chaos and people don't really realize it enough, is how accepting it is of new writers. Within two days, you can be in a major thread, and be talking to other characters in a faction or even a first reply type deal. Within a week you can be in five different threads. I just don't see that on other sites as easily as this one. Now, we are larger and have more of a different style of roleplay, true.

But I still think it's neat.

my first experience of online roleplaying was an e-fed (pro wrestling RP) called UWF. wrote there for a year, took a break when I dislocated my shoulder and never made a comeback. it was a totally different experience compared to a fantasy/sci-fi RP, as it is very dialogue based, in form of trash-talking and promo (standard pro wrestling stuffs). it’s also more competitive than collaborative, and while I enjoy some aspects of it, it was also harder to bond with people in comparison.

I also tried TSWRP, but never made it past a couple of posts. I actually thought that I wouldn’t last that long here, as I only started to fill some free times post break-up and between finishing my thesis and graduation. I ended up writing in Braxant Covenant and I feel like I jumped into a group of writers that I could really vibe with. Fast forward, it’s been almost 5 months and there’s no sign of stopping.

Chaos is a huge place with a lot of style and niche, but it’s also a very welcoming place in my experience. I’ve made and deleted various characters in this very short-time, all to try to find a place I’d fit in the most, and I think that’s the beauty of Chaos. you are afforded the chance to try find a place for you.

I won't write long about this. The long-form includes Gaia, some urban fantasy RP (vampires, werewolves, etc), multigenre/multifandom RP boards, many highlights (cherished memories), and some shadows (drama, toxicity).

Short form, I started with the TalkCity Star Wars chats when I was about 15 - 16 years old, went from there to SWFans where I stayed almost exclusively until 2008, when I also joined SWRPG, which was run by someone who moderated those TalkCity chats! Then in 2014 I got pulled to Chaos by people I long befriended on SWRPG. I was straddling all three sites until probably 2017... about as not-successfully as you might imagine. Blame the squirrels living in my brain.

Chaos was freeing, in comparison to where I'd come from immediately before it, which was pretty restrictive. Detailed rank progression requirements... that's all I'll say. Chaos is not only very welcoming to new writers, but very forgiving; I've been able to ebb and flow in and out of RP (again, the squirrels!) and always find my way back into something and have always been able to plug right back in.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom