Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private One Becomes Two

The secluded beach Vaylin found herself on had always been a bit of an oddity on Mygeeto. It was tucked away, hidden from the naked eye, even obscured from above. Dwarfed by a towering cliff face, to which bordered the area where the Valkyrie Fortress once stood. Even this far down, it was impossible to hear the raging storms above, that remained everlasting. There was just the calm crashing of waves against the beach.

Behind here was a wide open cave on the side of the cliff face. There were clear natural formations, but it was apparent that it had been widened by machinery at some point. When the Valkyries had initially settled on Mygeeto, they had discovered the maze of cave tunnels that existed beneath the crater. The underground area was a mishmash of caves, tunnels, hot springs and crystal formations.

It was following the tunnels that led them to discovering this hidden cove. Leftover datapads and reports had given insight on their purpose, having been used by a previous corporation to move the excavated crystals into transports down by the beach.

How exactly there was a beach near an area so cold? Speculation was that it was due to the underground hot springs. The fact both were so low down, combined with the sheer cliff led initial discoverers to draw a connection.

Not that Vaylin was going to complain, there was a simple joy in digging her toes into the sand. Something the Zabrak hadn’t done in a very long time.

But here was where she remained. It had been a bit since her encounter with Allyson, now left alone in a form of self exile/isolation. For now at least, she just hoped the message had reached Kaalia Pavanos Kaalia Pavanos in the end.

Born In The Flames
Vaylin Vaylin
bB8es8s.png

Despite all of the years that had passed, the wilderness of Mygeeto didn't look any different from when Kaalia last laid eyes upon its surface. It brought back memories of a time that felt like they were from a different life altogether, when she still found strength in the ways of the Sith. A time when there still was someone named Darth Avacyn.

There was little that could coax Kaalia into entering New Imperial space, but the message she had received from Vaylin was enough of a reason to be here today. The zabrak had made a promise on Dromund Kaas, to fight the presence of Moirai. Now, she wanted to see Kaalia. If the promise was kept, the Kro Varian would keep the one she made when she left the title of Valkyrie matriarch to Vaylin.

On her way towards the tunnels that would lead her to her destination, she had spent a few minutes taking in the sight of the ruins that once was the fortress she led the Valkyries from. Surprisingly to her, the woman felt nothing. She once deeply believed in the goal of the Valkyries, but with time and distance that conviction had dissipated. It was merely a figment of the past now.

Once more, Kaalia navigated the tunnels towards the cove where Vaylin was waiting. It didn't go as smoothly as it once did, time making it more difficult to remember the right path to take, but once a particular bend came into sight she knew she was nearly there. With her thick winter coat shed, she took her first step into the sand.

"Vaylin's home, I assume," Kaalia remarked as she laid her eyes on the zabrak. For the moment, the woman would stand right in front of the entrance she came from.

Vaylin had been seated closer to the water at the time of Kaalia’s arrival, only moving to stand when she felt the Kro Varian’s presence nearing the cave’s entrance. Slowly, the Zabrak moved, still feeling the aches and pains from the initial fall that was...days ago? Vaylin had admittedly lost track of time since then.

She was dressed in what was clearly the undersuit of her armour, with a jacket being the only item that looked out of place on her.

Through the Force there was nothing but a strange sense of calmness from Vaylin. No rage or anger, no seething hatred that was boiling beneath the surface.

Just calm and numb in the Force.

Something had happened since the encounter on Dromund Kaas. Moirai’s presence couldn’t be felt, but neither could Vaylin’s. As if the Zabrak was in a strange state of limbo.

Hey, Kaalia.” Even from their current distance, there was an apparent difference. The previously pale and cracked skin was replaced with the Zabrak’s typical healthy colour. And as she slowly approached the Kro Varian, the other changes came into view.

Purple eyes and a genuine smile.

Two things that hadn’t been seen in a long while.

Thank you for coming.

With the reassurance gained from Vaylin's words, Kaalia stepped forward into the cavern. Whether or not it had been her words on Dromund Kaas that put Vaylin in control here didn't matter, merely the fact that she was. The great contrast between then and now brought her hope. The smile was responded to by one of Kaalia's own.

"Anytime, Vaylin. It's good to see you again." It was a strange place to meet, but it seemed like Vaylin had made herself comfortable here. Surely there had to be a reason for it, even though Kaalia didn't quite know why. Now that she was here again, though, she took her time looking around and getting reacquainted to the place.

"How long has it been, since I've been here?" She shook the thought away and looked back toward Vaylin. "I don't think that's why you called me here, though. How've you been holding up since last time?"

The Zabrak smiled at Kaalia’s answer, to Vaylin it was good to just feel like herself again. Even if she had to be stuck on this planet to ensure it so. But that was the reason why she had gotten in contact with the Kro Varian.

She needed someone that wasn’t Sith.

Someone she considered the closest thing to family.

After Dromund Kaas...I was locked away again. Moirai wasn’t too pleased, and had made particularly certain I couldn’t resurface again.” Vaylin let out a heavy sigh, the memories of that moment still lingering. “If she could do it without killing herself in the process, I’m sure she’d have tried removing me entirely.

It sounded crazy, probably did to those that weren’t familiar with the Force; or rather the Dark Side. Corruptive power had a way of twisting things, breaking apart the person that once was, forging them into something new. Only for Vaylin, there had been a few complications along the path.

Since then I was just...floating. Like I was in the middle of an endless ocean. No light, no nothing. Just an empty abyss around me.” The Zabrak turned to face the beach again, looking out at the waves. “Then Moirai discovered Allyson Locke was on Mygeeto, so she decided to pursue her. Eventually caught her, tackled and sent both hurtling down into the caves beneath. Then when I woke up...I was me.

Vaylin turned around to look at Kaalia.

I don’t know whether it’s Mygeeto, or something on the planet. But Moirai is silent, completely. I need to find out what it is, if it can be taken or…If I can finally be free.I have an idea, but I’m going to need some help.

Kaalia had been lucky. Avacyn was never able to grasp that much power away from her during her time as Sith through careful guarding of the boundary between the two, but looking back that balance was much frailer than she realized then. The time where Avacyn was closest to taking control away was between Ishana's death and eventual return, and the chance things would have ended differently was far negligible. A push in the wrong direction could have altered the course of history. Vaylin's reason for both being here and calling upon Kaalia reminded the woman of that fact. With the passage of time, she only found more relief in knowing Avacyn was gone.

"Locke again, hm? Those two can't seem to stay out of each other's hair," Kaalia remarked with a hint of amusement while she watched Vaylin turn to her. Surely, the two had caused each other enough headaches to last a lifetime. Her voice settled into something more serious as she continued, however. "Looks like she's gone now, too. Regardless, you were due for some good fortune, I think."

The exact cause for Moirai's suppressed state on Mygeeto was still beyond their understanding, reach, or both, which seemingly had been the reason why Vaylin had asked for her to come here. More importantly, though, the zabrak had an idea.

"I'm sure I can be of help in one way or another," Kaalia asserted. It was the very least she could do. "What's the plan?"

More like I’m paying for my poor decisions…

Vaylin didn’t voice her thoughts, but she was sure Kaalia could see it written on her face. The redhead had been around her enough over the years, right from the beginning when she had followed Aria Vale to the Sith, to form the Valkyries.

When I was last on this planet, during the invasion, I had to throw myself into the Netherworld to escape.” Vaylin winced at those memories, somehow feeling more raw now in her current state. “But not through the portal.

Valkyries, fully trained ones at least, were capable of personal transport into the Netherworld. But it wasn’t done lightly, as the very act of tearing a doorway open took a tremendous toll on the person. It was why they still used the portals, as the structures lessened the toll.

I was already physically worn out from all the fighting, so when I landed in the Netherworld...my path back out was not easy.” No one was ever meant to physically walk in the Netherworld. But then someone threw open the doorways, and everything changed.

When I finally pulled myself back out...I think something fragmented and separated from me.” In hindsight, it was probably where this all began. Where it became possible for a whole other personality to form. “There’s no Light within me, not like there was a whole lot before but...the foundational remnants were torn out.

Vaylin looked back at the ocean, trying to find some sense of calm watching the waves crashing against the shore.

My plan...is to return to the Netherworld one more time, potentially the last.

With an eyebrow raised Kaalia listened to the story, and through it she was oddly impressed. She herself of all people had to be intimately aware of just how straining it was to rip open a way into the Netherworld unassisted; to do it while carrying fresh battle scars was another thing entirely. The woman had never even considered it as something that could be done at all, but she had no reason to question the veracity of Vaylin's story. To hear it likely had far-reaching consequences was far from surprising.

"People aren't supposed to survive that sort of thing," Kaalia stated plainly. Not a single time when the woman had been in any kind of dangerous situation had she even considered tearing open a self-made portal into the Netherworld. Thankfully, that last resort was likely to never be necessary now that she was far removed from the galactic stage, including its conflicts.

"My plan...is to return to the Netherworld one more time, potentially the last."

If the Netherworld was where the struggle between Vaylin and Moirai found its roots, then the only place where it could be resolved was in that same place. Perhaps it was that fundamental split from the Light that gave Moirai her foothold. Still, Kaalia realized she was thinking too far ahead. Nobody knew the situation better than the zabrak herself, so it was wise to hear her plan before coming to any conclusions.

"And that's where I come in, presumably? Unless you're about to tell me the freshly-minted regime here doesn't keep the portal locked down," Kaalia replied. The woman was no stranger to personal transport into the Netherworld, though she always made serious preparations to ease the strain as much as possible beforehand. Especially now, when the portals she once used were no longer easily accessible to her, such methods were highly useful.

"I rarely travel there anymore, but that shouldn't be too much of an issue," Kaalia explained as her eyes met a boulder that seemed good enough to sit on. "Just going to give my feet a rest," she quickly interjected before making her way over and doing exactly that.

"Last time was quite the adventure. I do hope your plan there doesn't involve the Dreaming Dark, though- I've seen enough of that place for just about the rest of my life."

At the mention of the Mygeeto portal, Vaylin let out a sheepish chuckle. “I...uh, might not have checked whether the Imperials have it locked down or not.

It would make sense all things considered, hell it wouldn’t shock the Zabrak if they had outright destroyed it by now. Given their actions on Bastion, the New Imperial Order were not fond of Force Users, or maybe that was just Sith.

Either way, it wasn’t the best option before them right now. The portal was far, and they would’ve been taking a chance that the Imperials hadn’t taken control of it. All that time travelling, only for it to be ultimately pointless.

No, that wouldn’t do. As much as Vaylin had revelled in not being trapped in her body anymore. She wasn’t naive to not realize that she was potentially running on limited time.

Vaylin looked over, watching as Kaalia prepared herself. The Zabrak let out a heavy breath, remembering the last time she had used personal transport to access the Netherworld. One had to be as close to hundred percent as possible, mentally, emotionally and physically. Else you’d wind up in a situation Vaylin was in now, paying for her rash actions that day.

Fortunately, one thing I did while waiting for you to arrive, was to get supplies.” Vaylin jogged over to the cave she had been staying in. She grabbed up a small rucksack, then walked back over to Kaalia. “I had this plan in my head very early on, so I knew we’d need a little ‘power up’ I suppose. Plus...I wanted to visit the Fortress for old times sake.

Plopping the rucksack onto the ground, Vaylin opened it and began to pull out its contents.

Red crystals, namely the ones that existed within the caves beneath the Valkyrie Fortress.

Fortunately, despite the exodus the Dark side storms still keep the area obscured. The Imperials haven’t been able to reach the ruins.

I...uh, might not have checked whether the Imperials have it locked down or not.

"Can't blame you," Kaalia replied, the chuckle met by one of her own. A lone actor in hostile territory generally did not get very far getting in a direct confrontation with the enemy. As far as the New Imperials were concerned, the both of them were likely still very much enemies. As straining as the alternative was, fighting their way through potentially hundreds of well-armed men and women did not seem to be a viable option. Especially considering Vaylin's circumstances, the choice seemed clear.

Thankfully, the zabrak had been able to make at least some preparations beforehand, she revealed as she retreated to a cave and retrieved a number of items she had not expected to see again. The sight was met by an optimistic nod from Kaalia.

"I'm sure the place is absolutely covered in dust by now. Such a shame," the redhead remarked with dramaticized lament. The serious, no-nonsense air that hung around Avacyn had lost its hold on her the day Kaalia had cut ties with her inner Sith. It was still there, deep down, but in a time when she no longer needed it, even compared to the Kaalia of old she was much lighter in nature.

"All jokes aside, that'll make things a lot easier," the woman said as she pulled a crystal towards herself with the Force. After taking hold of it, she inspected it, both visually and with the sense all Force sensitives shared. "These should definitely do. Good find."

While the crystals would make their efforts less utterly draining, though, did not mean venturing into the Netherworld was going to be easy by any means now. Kaalia could not say she had had much practice in the past number of years, either.

"Let's get started then, shall we?" Kaalia was fairly certain Vaylin would have agreed with the notion that Moirai had outstayed her welcome.

Vaylin could help but smile at well...everything about this. It just reminded the Zabrak of the old days, before either of them had been too cemented in the Sith ways. Before they had become warriors on a battlefield, commanding others and slipping deeper into that dark abyss.

She’d do whatever it took to go back to those days.

The Zabrak gave Kaalia a determined nod, she was prepared to do what was needed to finally be rid of Moirai.

Vaylin grabbed a handful of crystals, both large and small. She moved with practice ease, the knowledge of this makeshift ritual still fresh on her mind, even after all these years. Placing the small ones around the outer ring, while placing the larger crystals more towards the centre.

I’ll take the lead in guiding us along, I remember the pathway I took last time.” It was always a tentative thing when trying to do a more personal teleport into the Netherworld. The gateways made it easier, in both not putting the strain on the users, and providing a fixed destination on the other side. Fortunately, one of them still had an active connection to that realm.

I also don’t know what’s going to happen once we arrive…” Vaylin grabbed a pair of crystals, taking a seat in the sand opposite to Kaalia. “Moirai has been silent since being knocked unconscious here. But I have a feeling once we step through, we’re going to be on limited time.

The Zabrak took a deep breath, holding a single crystal in each hand. Fingers turning them around a bit, only stopping when Vaylin’s breath evened out. A few moments later, she began the chant.

Kaalia watched on as Vaylin prepared the crystals, knowing well enough that 'help' was only going to get in the way. The ritual was far beyond the comprehension of most, but between the two of them existed a deep understanding of its workings. Even so, Kaalia had always found it strange at best. She viewed herself as a woman of logic over the ways of rituals and faith, yet their way of venturing into the Netherworld was drenched in those things she found unreliable and in opposition to the way she viewed the Force as a whole. A strange contradiction, yet one she had been carrying along ever since opening that first rift in a bid to rescue her wife from death's clutches.

Ultimately, though, the only thing that truly mattered was that it worked. Even if it shouldn't ever have.

"I'll be right behind you, then," Kaalia responded as she got to her feet, took a pair of crystals and sat down in the sand before the circle. Having two people for this part divided the strain among the both of them.

"All the more reason to waste no time." Despite her connection to it, Kaalia only ever found herself in the Netherworld by necessity.

And with that, no time was further wasted indeed. Kaalia joined the chant. Soon, the race against time was upon them.

The forceful ‘pull’ that lurched her from the physical realm almost made Vaylin nauseous. Last time she had teleported to the Netherworld, she had lost a part of herself. Fatigued physically and emotionally, there was naught much she could do to keep her mental state from buckling too.

And that had happened on Mygeeto too.

But, the Zabrak pushed those memories away as she tried to focus on their destination. The additional presence and power of Kaalia helped guide her path. Within what felt like several long minutes, the soft sand and calm waves were replaced with an arid ground and an eerie silence.

Wh-where are we?” Vaylin questioned, immediately looking around to get her bearings. A fog surrounded them, making visibility somewhat difficult. But it reminded her of when she had visited the Netherworld with Adrian Vandiir.

And an idea struck her mind a second later. Vaylin closed her eyes and focused, opening up her senses to try and listen closely. At first there was nothing, until some seconds later when she heard the telltale sign of water.

The river, it’s nearby!” Vaylin didn’t miss a beat as she began running in the direction. She might’ve been a tad bit careless, but time wasn’t going to be on their side forever.

And sure enough, the Zabrak’s senses proved to be reliable. Vaylin halted to a stop the moment she could visibly see the water, a river that seemed to part through the fog.

Come on, where are you? You’re always here when needed…” Again, there was seemingly no reply for almost a full minute before they heard something other than the wind. Vaylin’s head practically snapped to the right as she caught sight of something in the river.

A long, wooden boat was being steadily sailed through the water. Its sole occupant; the Ferryman, stood at the far back, concealed in a tattered robe. Their hood was shrouded, making it difficult to peer inside. It was the arms that were the only thing visible, bony and impossibly thin, grasping ahold of the oar.

The boat stopped, and the hooded figure turned its head to look at both women. A wispy, haunting howl escaped from the shadows. It seemed to shift in pitch and clarity, until a discernible voice reached out.

Well, well…it’s not every day I get to meet two Valkyrie Matriarchs, former and current.

Even those with strong connections to the Netherworld found themselves having to adjust to it whenever they visited the realm. Living beings were not meant for the world of the dead and that came with its difficulties. Attuned to the realm's properties or not, those first moments would always be heavily disorienting at best. What experience had taught Kaalia, however, was how to get through it. Go with the pull, but not too much.

And once they were on the other side, Kaalia's form was no longer the same as it was. Her spectral appearance surely would not come to Vaylin's surprise, though.

"Wh-where are we?"

Had Kaalia been the one who knew where to go, she could have been much more helpful in that moment. All she could do, however, was be a steady presence. A verbal response was unnecessary considering the zabrak's tightening of her focus, so instead she placed a hand on her shoulder to act as an anchor. Regardless of whether it helped or not, it did not take long for Vaylin to find what she had been looking for.

A short sprint later, knowing there was no time to lose, the two came to the river. Where Vaylin seemed mildly frustrated at the fact the boatman was nowhere to be seen, Kaalia simply went to sit down at the riverbank. "He always appears exactly when he needs to." A lesson that had taken the woman a long time to understand, but something she fully trusted now.

And indeed, it did not take long before he did appear. A sign that time was indeed in short supply, but also that removing Moirai from Vaylin was not an impossibility. A sign too vague for most to put much trust in, but Kaalia was well aware that the Netherworld was not bound by the same rules as the living, breathing galaxy.

Kaalia got to her feet not long before the boat came to a halt before them, then subtly bowed her head towards the figure that greeted them.

"And I'm afraid it's yet another perilous journey you meet me on," Kaalia replied. Her last encounter with the boatman had been when she aided Ashin with rescuing her wife fr0m the clutches of death. "Though... I am certain you already know. Time is on our side even less for this."

Indeed…” The Ferryman’s haunting voice echoed across the mist, his shadowed visage staring at Vaylin. “You’ve been sundered twice already, a third threatens to tear the seams apart.

The Zabrak froze, blinking owlishly at the entity. “Wh-what do you mean twice?” But the Ferryman said nothing further, just simply stood to attention ready to start steering the boat. Vaylin glanced over at Kaalia, saying nothing but also everything in the way the Zabrak’s eyes moved.

With nothing else to do, Vaylin stepped aboard the small boat. The Ferryman waited for Kaalia to be settled, before it began to move the vessel. Vaylin fidgeted where she sat, saying nothing initially. She just stared down at the deck of the boat, before finally lifting her head to look up at the Ferryman.

You said I was sundered twice? When was the second time?

A Valkyrie that succeeded in her Trials left a ‘piece’ of herself within the Netherworld. It was how they effectively tied themselves to the realm, obtained their spectral form and ability to traverse its depths.

The Ferryman was silent for a few minutes, focused on steering the boat forwards. Impatience swirled within the Zabrak, but she was able to hold it. And finally, the entity spoke.

Back when your wintery abode was attacked. When you fled through a rift to escape it…” The Ferryman’s posture shifted, his shadowy hood staring at Vaylin, though her. “When you sacrificed your Light.

For all her time spent in the Netherworld, it was the trips in this very boat that brought back the worst memories. The state of uncertainty and dread Kaalia had been in on her first expedition here had reached its peak during that ride. Emotions she braved just to be reunited with Ishana.

Back then, the woman wasn't able to let go of those she held dear, leading her down the path that ended up shaping the Valkyries and herself into what they would become. Ever since leaving the Sith, however, she had ironically come to realize that some of the teachings she had left behind to pursue the Dark side held more merit than she had given them credit for. She would never be a Jedi or embrace the Light fully, but there was one thing she had come to agree with. Death wasn't truly the end. Those who passed were never truly gone, but lived on in both spirit and memory. The passing of her father had reinforced that belief- while she did miss him dearly, his presence was never far. They still spoke sometimes, when his spirit manifested in the Force.

Kaalia was more at peace, now. Turning her back on the Sith had done her well.

The memories from this boat weren't so bad anymore.

As it came to the reason why Kaalia was here now, though, things were different. This was a matter much more complicated than life and death. She had little else to do other than remaining silent, waiting for the answer to Vaylin's question. When it finally came, it only created more concern.

"That would explain it, then," Kaalia quietly spoke. Vaylin's story and the Ferryman's explanation painted a grim picture. Though she wasn't certain, Kaalia quickly linked Vaylin's loss of the Light to Moirai's strengthened presence. If that was true, the only way to set things right was to remove Moirai entirely.

And splitting a soul that had been split twice before was a perilous undertaking.

That would definitely explain it…” Vaylin sighed, staring down at the deck of the boat. She listened to the water sloshing against the side of it, and the eerie whispers of the mist surrounding them.

I was fighting on one of the main bridges, against two opponents.” Years had gone by since Mygeeto had been invaded, but Vaylin could recall it as if it was mere days ago. “I was giving them hell, but it became apparent the bridge was lost…” As had Mygeeto as a whole. “I formed a plan to escape…threw myself off the bridge as I summoned a rift to the Netherworld.

The Valkyries’ ability to enter the Netherworld was one that required planning. Done by at least two individuals. Much as Kaalia and Vaylin had done today. To do so individually, as well as being physically exhausted…it was risky to say the least.

I was successful in opening it, and I fell straight through. But yeah…it didn’t quite go to plan.” By entering individually, the chances of travelling to an unintended destination increased. Made tenfold if one wasn’t prepared physically, emotionally and mentally.

And Vaylin at the time couldn’t tick any of those boxes.

This was at the same time everything was going on, with Jorryn.” Vaylin finally looked up from the deck, and glanced over at Kaalia. The older woman was one of the few who had seen Vaylin grow into the person she was today. And had at times voiced her caution about Adriana Fortemps Adriana Fortemps . It wasn’t outright disapproval, but she saw more than Vaylin could at the time. That for all her strength and power, the Zabrak was ever naive about more personal matters, such as love.

And in the aftermath of her return? Had been the proverbial cliff she had walked off, right into the clutches of Carnifex.

Vaylin told the story again, this time for the ferryman, but somehow Kaalia had a feeling he already knew. He had known exactly where Kaalia wanted to go when she first met him in her search for her wife's soul before she had spoken even a single word. Back then, it unsettled her, but in time she came to accept that some things were beyond her understanding and would remain that way. A young Kaalia would have refused to let such a 'weakness' slide, but as she got older it became that much easier to make peace with the place she occupied within the unfathomably vast universe she was a part of.

Regardless, the tale of how Vaylin had gotten herself in the situation she found herself in now was just as grim as the first time. The mention of a certain echani woman didn't put Kaalia in a better mood, either.

"That woman..." she let escape from her lips as she shook her head, though she didn't finish that sentence. She wanted to keep things civil.

A moment of silence fell, allowing Kaalia to collect her thoughts. She was worried, unsurprisingly, but she had seen the impossible happen multiple times over already. There was no reason to stop fighting just yet.

"You're getting through this." The Sith had been left behind, but the defiance that she was once revered for still burned brightly.

The Zabrak gave Kaalia a smile, before falling silent. Nothing could be heard but the calm rush of water, interrupted by the Ferryman’s oar carving through it. But the silence didn’t last forever, as their destination was close. Vaylin was the first to feel it, feeling the boat slow down as they approached an isolated dock.

This is it?” She asked, peering back to look at the Ferryman. The figure simply inclined his hooded head.

It’s your last stop.

Vaylin felt a chill run down her back. The finality of those words settled into a pit deep in her stomach. Whatever it was that laid before her, this was it. She was either going to leave this place, or become a permanent resident. Vaylin let out a shaky breath, looking at Kaalia before standing up and stepping off the boat.

Walking the length of the wooden dock, the Zabrak found herself confronted by a dense mist. Vaylin sighed, rubbing her forehead.

The path ahead is rarely ever clear and known…” She walked forwards, hearing the crunch of dirt and gravel beneath her feet. The Zabrak looked back at Kaalia, in part to just check that the redhead was still there. Seconds passed into minutes, but fortunately their trek forwards didn’t take long. On account of Vaylin almost walking face first into a tree. At least…it looked like one.

It was wood that was for sure, the trunk stretched up impossibly high, disappearing into the fog above. But that was all there was, no canopy or branches. Just a simple wooden pillar standing amongst the mist. And then it dissipated slightly, revealing more around them. Each and every one of them standing just as tall. Vaylin circled the one she had almost walked into, fingers running across its surface. Until she felt a groove carved into the wood. The Zabrak traced it, discovering more next to it and quickly realising something. It was a name.

Are these…are these graves?” She posed the question, glancing over at Kaalia.

Not quite.

The voice pierced through the mist, and Vaylin’s head snapped towards its origin. A ghostly spectre appeared from the depths of the mist. The robes were unmistakable, as was the pose the figure took as it stopped before the two women. It was a male Nautolan, one that had Vaylin’s eyes almost bugging out in surprise.

Hello Vaylin, it’s been a long time.

The Zabrak was stunned, unable to speak initially before she regained her breath.

Kaalia…this is Zarith Vol. He was my…Master, back when I was a Jedi.

The look in Vaylin's eyes betrayed much. Kaalia saw fear wasn't the kind that turned into anger. Deep down, Kaalia felt the same thing for a different reason; becoming nothing but a helpless bystander in all this. If things went wrong then was something she did not want to think about. Thankfully, Vaylin was a Valkyrie. It at least meant any venture into the Netherworld at least wasn't hopeless.

Silently, Kaalia followed the zabrak off of the boat. A nod was given to the ferryman, then after a solemn sigh she set off after Vaylin into the mist. A careful eye was kept on her, keen to spot any sign of Moirai the moment it manifested. Even if Kaalia didn't know if there even was anything she could do were that to happen.

Thankfully, that was not the reason why Vaylin came to a halt. The sight they were met with once the mist began to clear somewhat was certainly strange, though that was commonplace in the Netherworld. For some reason, this place felt like it was made for Vaylin specifically. A feeling that became that much stronger when a new voice and presence made itself known. The zabrak's master from a previous life.

"Master Vol," Kaalia said to him, her tone revealing friendliness nor hostility. She wasn't quite sure how to approach the situation just yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom